Ping G425 irons

rbmercer

33 minutes ago, JosephNewton293 said:

Can anyone compare the G425 to the Sim2 max or the PXG 0211 2021 version. I'm in the heroes program and for what a set of 2011 irons would cost me ($89 a club) i'd be saving a ton of cash.  Seems like the Sim2 max (great reviews) is also considerably cheaper than the Ping G425 or 710 models.

The G425's have a much higher MOI than the Taylormade's according to Maltby.  This will provide a higher degree of off center strike forgiveness.  The TM lofts are stronger.  With respect to the PXG's, I've not seen the new version but the older version 0211's were a fair bit smaller than the G's.  I expect they have a nicer feel and sound, but less forgiveness.

• Like 1

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

Impulsively ordered a set yesterday after demoing at my local shop.  I hit the i210 and G425, trying to be as open-minded as possible, but really wanting (and expecting to order) the i210s.  I haven't put a G-series in the bag since the G, but a few things sold me on the 425:

* Subtle cavity badge (compared to 410 and 400)

* Slightly smaller footprint compared to recent G offereings

* Surprisingly good feel (I was unimpressed with the CORE-eye feel on the G)

* Shorter lead time vs. the i210.  Shouldn't matter, but honestly it did

* Better spin and dispersion on the 425.  Shop didn't have the MODUS 105 to try so I went with the AWT, but I've played it before and know what to expect.  

Lastly, for those on the fence between and i and G, I'll offer my personal experience.  I'm an 8-9 HDCP with averge iron play and consider myself a tweener with the i and G.  Played G5, i5, G15, i15, G25 and G in the past, currently have ie1 in the bag and really find them a pleasure to hit.  The 431 SS offers nice feel and they have some good forgiveness to them.  However, my miss is off the toe and I wanted some extra help on those days when my irons are off.  Feel is important to me, but I'll concede some if it means more GIRs.  One more thing to think about: the G425 5-U lofts (23.5-49.5) pretty much cover the same lofts as my ie1 4-U (23-50) so this opens another spot in the bag for something else.  Can't wait to put them in the bag! 

Edited by MattMo
  • Like 2

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

Played my new G425s today. Great irons. Super forgiving and I have no issues with the sound. Long high and straight. Milles better than the 718 AP1  I used to play. Love the Alta graphite shafts that I was fit into. Hats off to my fitter. Never played anything but stock irons and got these 2 deg upright and my ball flight is now a high draw.

1 hour ago, kuch said:

Played my new G425s today. Great irons. Super forgiving and I have no issues with the sound. Long high and straight. Milles better than the 718 AP1  I used to play. Love the Alta graphite shafts that I was fit into. Hats off to my fitter. Never played anything but stock irons and got these 2 deg upright and my ball flight is now a high draw.

Im still playing the 718 AP1's and wanting to go back to Ping, but dreading the long wait time for build. Maybe this winter I'll order a custom set.

6 hours ago, MattMo said:

Impulsively ordered a set yesterday after demoing at my local shop.  I hit the i210 and G425, trying to be as open-minded as possible, but really wanting (and expecting to order) the i210s.  I haven't put a G-series in the bag since the G, but a few things sold me on the 425:

* Subtle cavity badge (compared to 410 and 400)

* Slightly smaller footprint compared to recent G offereings

* Surprisingly good feel (I was unimpressed with the CORE-eye feel on the G)

* Shorter lead time vs. the i210.  Shouldn't matter, but honestly it did

* Better spin and dispersion on the 425.  Shop didn't have the MODUS 105 to try so I went with the AWT, but I've played it before and know what to expect.  

Lastly, for those on the fence between and i and G, I'll offer my personal experience.  I'm an 8-9 HDCP with averge iron play and consider myself a tweener with the i and G.  Played G5, i5, G15, i15, G25 and G in the past, currently have ie1 in the bag and really find them a pleasure to hit.  The 431 SS offers nice feel and they have some good forgiveness to them.  However, my miss is off the toe and I wanted some extra help on those days when my irons are off.  Feel is important to me, but I'll concede some if it means more GIRs.  One more thing to think about: the G425 5-U lofts (23.5-49.5) pretty much cover the same lofts as my ie1 4-U (23-50) so this opens another spot in the bag for something else.  Can't wait to put them in the bag! 

That very much sounds like my situation. I've been playing i20s for many years, but switched to G425s now.

I tried i210s (and I also expected to be fit for them), but the G425s were better in all numbers, especially dispersion.

I also got more spin and landing angle on the G425s compared to my old i20s, and I see that on the course too.

And like you, the lofts works very well for me. I went for 6-U, because I have a 7w instead of a long iron.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym 10.5° Hzrdus Silver 50g stiff

Ping G400 SFT 3W 16° set to 15°

Ping G400 SFT 5W 19° set to 18°

Ping G400 SFT 7W 22° set to 21°

Ping G425 6-UW

Ping Glide Forged 54°

Ping Glide Forged 56°

Ping Glide Forged 58° bent to 60°

Scotty Cameron GOLO 5R

Called DSGoods and was told they will be shipped tomorrow. Hopefully a good try on Memorial Day. I really like what Ping has done with all their clubs lately. Only four clubs are not Ping right now. 

Edited by platgof

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

15 hours ago, platgof said:

Called DSGoods and was told they will be shipped tomorrow. Hopefully a good try on Memorial Day. I really like what Ping has done with all their clubs lately. Only four clubs are not Ping right now. 

What is your total wait time on these irons, from time of order to delivery. I to will be getting the senior graphite shaft. 

They have not been shipped yet. So much for getting them tomorrow. Bought them April 22. Five weeks and counting. I know where there are two sets in regular flex graphite. I should have ordered them through Golf Galaxy in Brentwood.  If you want someone there to work with, see Shane.

Edited by platgof

Bag is in overhaul mode

Dicks is giving me the run around on a shipping date that was due today. I think they shipped my clubs to another store deliberately, and are planning on reordering mine. Now they are using stall tactics till the next order gets in. First I was told I would get a shipping date Monday, then the agent backed down the next day and said someone would get a hold of me in 24 hours. I called today asking where is this agent, and was told 24-48 hours. This will most likely continue until the next order cycle comes in. She claims it was a custom order. the custom order was senior shafts.

Edited by platgof

Bag is in overhaul mode

On 5/23/2021 at 11:19 AM, Landy said:

I’m on the fence between the 425 and the 710.

Either one would be in power spec.  
Just trying to see what is the major difference between the two 

6 thru U I had equal performance with 710 & G425. For me, the G710 4 & 5 iron were easy, forgiving and long. I struggle with the 425 4&5 and when I play them I pull them for hybrid. Just don’t fit me…something I didn’t expect. (Replaced with full set  ZX5s for now) 710s are hard to beat…that would be my vote. 

33 minutes ago, Steelhead said:

6 thru U I had equal performance with 710 & G425. For me, the G710 4 & 5 iron were easy, forgiving and long. I struggle with the 425 4&5 and when I play them I pull them for hybrid. Just don’t fit me…something I didn’t expect. (Replaced with full set  ZX5s for now) 710s are hard to beat…that would be my vote. 

Thank you - been leaning towards the 710's.  Going to see how the stack up to the ZX4's.

Stay safe!

• Thanks 1

I was finally told today that it would be July 1st now on my order. You would think they would let me know something, before I had to chase them down why my set had not shipped yet. Really bad business. I asked them to cancel my order. No excuse for this. If they do I might also go for the G710. I seen a set at Golf Galaxy and they look amazing.

Bag is in overhaul mode

On 5/22/2021 at 3:22 PM, JAM01 said:

Ping G425 on right and on top compared to PXG 0211 2021. I did order the PXG 2 degrees weak. Shaft length will be equal when the stock Golf Pride grip w/ Arccos is on the Ping. 

7398B6CA-20FD-4911-BE64-092E19479B08.jpeg

1A44E3A5-425E-46EF-8769-D9726CA287F1.jpeg

It looks to me like there is quite a bit of offset pressed into the PXG’s compared to the PING’s (you have the toe end of the PXG hanging down compared to the PING which accentuates the 425 offset).  I have the G425’s and the offset is much less than my PXG 0311 XF’s.   Just my opinion....

PXG Black Ops 10.5* w/Fujikura Motore F3
PING G425 Max 3 wood w/ALTA CB 65 Slate

Taylormade Stealth 15* w/Hzrdus RDX 75

SRIXON 3 (22°) Utility Iron w/Recoil Dart F3   
PXG 0317T (5-W) w/Recoil Dart F4

PXG Sugar Daddy II 56* w/Recoil Dart F4

VOKEY SM9 50° & 60° w/Tensei AV
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 w/Accra Shaft (Black on Black)
PRO V1x

I tried the 410's (I know different clubs) but the offset promoted way to much left to right for me.  I ended up going with the i210's retro loft and that really helped me with my iron game.  

6 iron is .21 whereas the i210 is .12, plus I think the weighting is set to shut the club face more with the 425's.  I always felt that line of Ping was for golfers who come over the top.  

Edited by Paddy_2_Iron

In the bag

10.5 degree Ping 400 | Stiff Ping Shaft 55 gram

5 - GW F7 Cobra variable | Regular Flex Steel

Titleist Vokey 56 degree F Grind 14 Bounce

Mizuno 60 S 18 Ion Blue 6 Bounce

Ping Harwood 2021 Putter

Ball Pro V1

I went to the G425 after playing JPX 919 tours for two seasons. I just don't have enough time to practice so I needed something forgiving. I have played two rounds with the G425s and these are going to stay in my bag for a while. 

They are super forgiving (esp on toe strikes) and the size of the head doesn't bother me much . The offset was a bit annoying the first time I looked at it but I have gotten over it / adjusted to it. According to Arccos, my approach play has improved (by +0.5 SG) over last season and I am hitting 1-2 additional GIRs than normal. I'll take that any day. I havent experienced any jumpers out of the rough and I can hit draws and fades with these without any problem. 

The only thing I don't like about these irons so far is the sound/feel. These irons are loud (esp indoors). Outdoors it was harder for me to tell where I was hitting on the face unless I hit excessively on the toe or heel. I am honestly okay with that because these are so forgiving on mis-hits. When I practice on the range, I make sure to carry dr. scholls spray to figure out where my strike patterns are. 

Edited by moadhia
  • Like 1

I will have to wait for these as they will not cancel my order, so hopefully before 1 July. I ordered 6 -uw, so no problem on the long irons as the hybrids will cover that. Those who are going to the G710, I wonder how they perform with the short game? This is why I went with the G425, as my G700 are a bit clunky around the greens. Chipping with my 9 iron is a real pleasure.

Edited by platgof

Bag is in overhaul mode

I put the Cobra F9 irons back in the bag and they are performing great. It is nice having a set that can handle work around the greens as well. I also put the 50* Glide in. If the G425 irons don't measure up, the F9's will stay. As slow as my G425's are moving along, they could be in there for awhile. 

Edited by platgof

Bag is in overhaul mode

I just put in an order for the G425 woods, hybrid, and some glide wedges but I’m still hanging on to my G25 irons. I’m an 8 handicap and played Eye 2, I3 O size, I5, I15, and then the G25’s. I would say the I5’s were the best iron I ever played until I got the G25’s with recoil 95. Anyone try the G425’s with recoils yet and any comparisons to the G25’s?

1 hour ago, jjfcpa said:

Went to Golf Galaxy and saw the G425 in person.  Maybe it's just me, but they looked shovelish to me.  Just not appealing to me.  Just my opinion.

Well they are a game improvement iron with a ton of forgiveness/MOI. They are definitely smaller/sleeker than G irons from a few generations ago. 

Edited by RacineBoxer

After a couple of horrible rounds mainly due to poor iron shots, I went and picked up some used sets of i210, G425, and T100. All sets should be here next week. Hopefully one of the sets work out. All packages will need to be intercepted before the wife finds out. 🙂 

I’ve heard/read/watched reviews for the Pings and I’m excited to try them. 

TM M2 10.5° - Diamana BB 60s
15° TEE CB2 - Diamana BB 83s
19° Nike Covert 2.0 - Diamana BB 83s
5-PW Ping i210 - Recoil Prototype 110 F4
50° 54° 58° Cleveland Zipcore - KBS Tour Custom S
SC Classics Newport

1 minute ago, hwnstyle21 said:

After a couple of horrible rounds mainly due to poor iron shots, I went and picked up some used sets of i210, G425, and T100. All sets should be here next week. Hopefully one of the sets work out. All packages will need to be intercepted before the wife finds out. 🙂 

I’ve heard/read/watched reviews for the Pings and I’m excited to try them. 

if you want a stress free round, g425 will knock the other two out of the park. You will sacrifice on feel though.