Why don’t more people play component golf clubs?

woodriff

5 hours ago, kjbuckeye said:

7 Piece set of Maltby TS-1 heads, Modus 105 shafts, and tour velvet grips built to your specs run you $735 after taxes and shipping. Compared to the cost of OEM forged offerings at $1200-1400.

Golfworks has reduced their pak offerings because they now offer their custom build shop for free as far as I can tell. They don't need paks when you can build any set make-up you want. 

Malby's cast clubs are still a great price at ~$20 per head

I like Maltby/Golfworks so don't take my comments wrong, but the custom shop is full retail for everything as far as I can tell.  Sure, they do build it.  But, it is still full retail.  The whole point of the paks as they existed previously is that you're getting a reduction off full retail.

Is the TS1 a better deal?  I would say yes, but everyone has to make that judgment for themselves.

Dave

51 minutes ago, biffstix said:

I’ve never seen one I liked. KZG have some nice cavity designs but for some reason the engineer concluded that 3 hosels worth of offset would be a nice touch. That and the .370 hosel are a no go. 

All I want is a forged MB with minimal stamping and zero offset.

They can't be expensive to make as it doesn't get any simpler and any component company that offered them for $50~ a head would make an easy profit.

Nobody makes it. For some reason even MB's made by companies like Miura and National Custom Works for thousands of dollars have very noticeable offset.

20 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

They can't be expensive to make as it doesn't get any simpler and any component company that offered them for $50~ a head would make an easy profit.

Nobody makes it. For some reason even MB's made by companies like Miura and National Custom Works for thousands of dollars have very noticeable offset.

The new RF Cobra blades have as less offset as you'll find.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

45 minutes ago, chipa said:

The new RF Cobra blades have as less offset as you'll find.

There was a set for sale on BST last week.

• Like 1

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5° A-1 setting Graphite Design YS-6+ 65g stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

3 hours ago, mgoblue83 said:

Kzg used to make a Zo blade

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mgoblue83 said:

I paid $20/head for these. They are NOS. I'm excited for my 7-PW.

Screenshot_20210309-192757.png

Screenshot_20210312-071756.png

Edited by lefthack

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

32 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

Beautiful clubs but that is a lot of offset.

How much offset is just right? The KZG ZO Blades (zero offset) have less than the OG blades, but still have some due to pure physics.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

2 minutes ago, lefthack said:

How much offset is just right? The KZG ZO Blades (zero offset) have less than the OG blades, but still have some due to pure physics.

Yeah I've heard about the KZG ZO but they don't sell them anymore (or I couldn't find them). My miss is left and I prefer to play a fade so when I look down at the club I don't want to see any noticeable offset at all. Same thing with my woods, I set them all as open as possible. 

I know most people don't pay any attention but even a small amount of noticeable offset makes the club look like it's pointing dead left for me. Can't stand it. 

My Zing 2's 17.5* 2i has some offset. 🤣 

PXL_20210312_160251153.jpg

• Haha 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

The ZO Plus is minimal as well. Not sure how you can get less offset than this without moving the face forward of the hotel.

ZO-Plus-LH-2.jpg

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

18 minutes ago, lefthack said:

The ZO Plus is minimal as well. Not sure how you can get less offset than this without moving the face forward of the hotel.

ZO-Plus-LH-2.jpg

The problem is that the offset is progressive and by the time you are looking down at a 4 iron it's pointing dead left.

I am strongly considering these:

https://www.golfsub70.com/sub-70-649-mb-tour-forged-raw-irons.html

Does anyone have experience with them?

I've always been interested in trying out KZG blades or Wishon's blades, but lack of access is detrimental to that.  I live in Houston and there isn't even a KZG dealer within 500 miles.  If I want to go with Wishon, I have to contact some random guy and go to his house and get fit.  Sub70 will let you try before you buy and Haywood used to let you try out their 7 irons, don't know if they still do or not. 

I'm not saying that if KZG or Wishon would sell direct, they'd start taking a huge chunk of the market, but they'd definitely generate more revenue.  Also, when has getting your product out into the hands of consumers, for others to see, not been considered free marketing? 

The irony of having to go through "fitters" so far away, or not easily accessible, that you'd have to order them online or over the phone without getting "fit", is rich.  In this day and age it seems a tad like snobbitry that is a little hard to swallow.

1 hour ago, mgoblue83 said:

Yeah I've heard about the KZG ZO but they don't sell them anymore (or I couldn't find them). My miss is left and I prefer to play a fade so when I look down at the club I don't want to see any noticeable offset at all. Same thing with my woods, I set them all as open as possible. 

I know most people don't pay any attention but even a small amount of noticeable offset makes the club look like it's pointing dead left for me. Can't stand it. 

Unfortunately, what you seek has become a unicorn.  Offset has been around a rather long time, and seeing some of it has become so common that most pros actually prefer it.

Its not even a new thing, Jack Nicklaus apparently liked looking down at some offset.  Its why the Muirfield irons have as much as they do.

That Sub70 set is the closest I've seen in modern terms.  And, you could lose whatever offset there might be with a bit of loft adjustment.  They're new enough that there isn't likely to be much experience with them in the WRX crowd.

You could always be the lab rat, get a demo.  <shrug>

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

2 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Unfortunately, what you seek has become a unicorn.  Offset has been around a rather long time, and seeing some of it has become so common that most pros actually prefer it.

Its not even a new thing, Jack Nicklaus apparently liked looking down at some offset.  Its why the Muirfield irons have as much as they do.

That Sub70 set is the closest I've seen in modern terms.  And, you could lose whatever offset there might be with a bit of loft adjustment.  They're new enough that there isn't likely to be much experience with them in the WRX crowd.

You could always be the lab rat, get a demo.  <shrug>

I actually have a 6iron on order to test it so let's hope it's nice!

Everything I read says that a lot of pros are getting custom made iron sets from the OEMS with little to no offset. For example JT's Titleist blades have the offset pressed out of them. Ping does it for their staffers as well. Wish we could access those.... 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mgoblue83 said:

I actually have a 6iron on order to test it so let's hope it's nice!

Everything I read says that a lot of pros are getting custom made iron sets from the OEMS with little to no offset. For example JT's Titleist blades have the offset pressed out of them. Ping does it for their staffers as well. Wish we could access those.... 

There are a couple of old school options, 20-30 years old, but I've likely posted those to you before.  And, they're not readily available, plus one of them is cast nickel.

I'll be following along if you share your experience with the 649 Tour ...  🙂

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

It's been mentioned a few times, but for me it's lack of availability to test.  I'm blessed living in an area with a PGASS, 4 GGs, numerous Dick's,  Club Champion, and 2 retail 2nd Swing locations.  Any of which I can walk into and start hitting a variety of clubs, get fit, make a purchase, or take what I've seen in person and scour the internet/BST to find something I am looking for.  I'm sure there is a fitter or two that builds components in this metro area as well, but I haven't taken the time to even look; as the options for new, used, or custom OEM are so prevalent.  I also have the means to and a spouse that tolerates me to being an OEM club ho...lol.

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 Hybrid 19*, Ventus Blue HB 9X

Ping Blueprint S, 4-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

On 3/12/2021 at 12:27 PM, mgoblue83 said:

The problem is that the offset is progressive and by the time you are looking down at a 4 iron it's pointing dead left.

I like you can't stand a lot of offset. However, I looked at the link you and the offset is 0.5 mm for all of the irons. This minimal amount of offset is very unusual to say the least, as I have spent a lot of time looking at blades and players cb's. My irons have progressive offset from 2.8 mm for the 4 iron down to 1 mm. Plus the transition in the hosel is very gradual so it appears less. But even this offset in on the low side for today's blades, which often have 4 mm or more. If the transition is more abrupt like I've seen in Mizuno and Hogan clubs it looks worse.

Tiger's irons have more offset than the 649 mb's and I think that's saying something. It's also not far off from Fowler's irons. Only the zero offset irons would have less I believe.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

On 3/12/2021 at 8:27 AM, mgoblue83 said:

Here is the 9i, I get the PW on Monday. To me this is very little offset.

PXL_20210314_013730885.jpg

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

First, the resale value argument is wrong.  Used Maltby clubs sell just fine here on the BST, and fair to both sides in terms of nominal dollars as@NRJyzr has repeatedly stated.  You can't walk into a big box to resell them, but here and even on the bay, there is enough of a Maltby fan base you aren't selling used late model Maltby items for pennies...

Second, KZG is not a component company.  Like all clubmakers, you can always buy their stuff off the bay, once it's been disassembled.

Third, anyone who thinks of components as knockoffs better look at the new Callaway Apex Pro 21 irons and their striking similarity to Maltby TS1 that have been out for two years, now.  They're not only similar looking, the Callaways also inject polymer and use tungsten in their head, just like Maltby.  Did I mention the TS1 have been out for two years?

• Like 4

On 3/12/2021 at 3:05 PM, Hougz79 said:

It's been mentioned a few times, but for me it's lack of availability to test.  I'm blessed living in an area with a PGASS, 4 GGs, numerous Dick's,  Club Champion, and 2 retail 2nd Swing locations.  Any of which I can walk into and start hitting a variety of clubs, get fit, make a purchase, or take what I've seen in person and scour the internet/BST to find something I am looking for.  I'm sure there is a fitter or two that builds components in this metro area as well, but I haven't taken the time to even look; as the options for new, used, or custom OEM are so prevalent.  I also have the means to and a spouse that tolerates me to being an OEM club ho...lol.

Totally agree. At any demo day or most any golf store I can test various configurations of length, lie, shaft for what works best for me.  Plus at a golf course demo day you're hitting outdoors and can see the ball flight.  So even if you find a place that sells components can they provide this service?  And buying online is completely out as there is no demo testing available.  The component clubs may be comparable to the major brands but I always purchase what I've sampled and been fitted for. That's my concern.  

Edited by cristphoto

I'll repost my response from Hireko as to why I don't play more component clubs.

"We offer no other LH blade style irons in our product line either."

So yeah, I tried to buy some but the 6i and PW are sold out and no more will be made. So if you can do without a 6i, you are set.

• Confused 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

6 minutes ago, lefthack said:

I'll repost my response from Hireko as to why I don't play more component clubs.

"We offer no other LH blade style irons in our product line either."

So yeah, I tried to buy some but the 6i and PW are sold out and no more will be made. So if you can do without a 6i, you are set.

We get it.  You're LH and you're angry at the lack of offerings.  I'm LH, too, but play golf RH.  Having to post this multiple times weakens your argument when you're the only one complaining.

5 minutes ago, games said:

We get it.  You're LH and you're angry at the lack of offerings.  I'm LH, too, but play golf RH.  Having to post this multiple times weakens your argument when you're the only one complaining.

I'm not even left handed, thought!

Why is standing on the RIGHT side of the ball leading with my RIGHT ARM left handed? Just saying.

What am I doing with my left hand that makes my playing style left handed?

<edit> who cares if YOU get it. Are you making clubs? Thanks.

Edited by lefthack
  • Haha 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

2 hours ago, lefthack said:

I'm not even left handed, thought!

Why is standing on the RIGHT side of the ball leading with my RIGHT ARM left handed? Just saying.

What am I doing with my left hand that makes my playing style left handed?

<edit> who cares if YOU get it. Are you making clubs? Thanks.

You’re cack-handed and utilize heads normally utilized by LH golfers.  Is that better?  Because my comments still stand...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, games said:

You’re cack-handed and utilize heads normally utilized by LH golfers.  Is that better?  Because my comments still stand...

I'm just pissed that I missed out on the tour blade. I could live without a set PW, but life without a 6 iron seems weird. They are $11 a head, that's nuts. I would at least give them a fair shake.

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW