Why don’t more people play component golf clubs?

woodriff

I think the total sales of left hand equipment is so small it it s difficult to commit the money for tooling. I’m sure if the market was there, the companies would meet it. 

Cleveland Classic XL Driver
KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ram Watson Troon Grind 58
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

I live in the DC suburbs with dozens of high end golf clubs and public courses and it is rare more than one club manufacturer at a time will do a demo day anywhere with in a a two hour drive. So if I want to test Ping irons and Callaway it could be a year in between tests.

KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

10 minutes ago, deepred said:

I think the total sales of left hand equipment is so small it it s difficult to commit the money for tooling. I’m sure if the market was there, the companies would meet it. 

Talking to Nick Byrd at Byrdie Golf Design is exactly that. He is doing a run of 15 lefties (I think he did 200+ Rh) to see, he knows one is mine. 

For me it's a win/win. I get to support a local shop that wants to support folks who play left, and I get a sweet set of forged irons that might be wicked limited edition. Or they could be the start of something cool. They look great, see how they play. 

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

1 hour ago, deepred said:

I live in the DC suburbs with dozens of high end golf clubs and public courses and it is rare more than one club manufacturer at a time will do a demo day anywhere with in a a two hour drive. So if I want to test Ping irons and Callaway it could be a year in between tests.

We've had Titleist and Callaway demos so far this year.  Taylor Made is coming too but no date announced yet.  Usually you can locate a demo day by going to the companies web site or simply calling them direct.  Of course considering virus issues schedules might be adjusted or cancelled - unfortunate signs of the times.  

Edited by cristphoto

On 3/11/2021 at 5:50 PM, mgoblue83 said:

All I want is a forged MB with minimal stamping and zero offset.

They can't be expensive to make as it doesn't get any simpler and any component company that offered them for $50~ a head would make an easy profit.

Nobody makes it. For some reason even MB's made by companies like Miura and National Custom Works for thousands of dollars have very noticeable offset.

I can appreciate your preference, but it would not be profitable for a small company.  The demand for a left hand zero offset blade would be tiny.  Even more so from a small company.  

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 9:50 PM, mgoblue83 said:

They can't be expensive to make as it doesn't get any simpler and any component company that offered them for $50~ a head would make an easy profit.

Nobody makes it. For some reason even MB's made by companies like Miura and National Custom Works for thousands of dollars have very noticeable offset.

You should do a search here for Tom Wishon's posts on forging die tooling costs, its far, far from cheap. In no way would selling them for $50 per head for a very, very limited market make anyone an easy profit. They'd lose their shirt.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

33 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

You should do a search here for Tom Wishon's posts on forging die tooling costs, its far, far from cheap. In no way would selling them for $50 per head for a very, very limited market make anyone an easy profit. They'd lose their shirt.

Yeah, they were saying the machining is easy, just mirror mode on the machine. It's getting the forging that gets spendy 

• Like 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

On 3/11/2021 at 9:50 PM, mgoblue83 said:

From a Tom Wishon post on Golfwrx back in 2011

"Tooling die costs are not insignificant - for a set of forged irons, the forging dies required to make an iron model run $5K per head number at minimum. For drivers, it runs in the area of $3K per head model/loft. During my 26 yrs in clubhead design, I've never seen a left hand clubhead model sell more than 8% of the total units it will in the RH version. In the US, 6% of all golfers are left handed, in Canada it is 15%, but the blended average ends up being 8% in terms of actual units. So when you are a smaller specialty company as we are, tragically we have to look at that 8% number and do the math to determine if it could possibly be viable to do the left hand tooling in a model. "

That gets you to at least $40k for an 8 head set in 2011, just for the forging dies. Add in all the other costs of production and the payback for a very specific set for what is probably the smallest part of the golf club market(left handed, low offset, forged blades) is not even close to meeting the production costs much less other business costs and profit.

Link to the thread  https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/679424-new-wishon-forged-players-irons/page/2/

Edited by Bad9
  • Like 4

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

And this is why I chose to support BGD. It's a tough market in general, even tougher for 8%, ouch.

Edited by lefthack

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Regarding a return on an investment, I believe the costs involved but the reality is a mb blade with little offset has changed little in the last 50 years so there would be really no need to get new dies every year, maybe once every ten years.

I think trying to compete with the big companies with their varied and every changing equipment lines caused Golfsmith to go by the wayside. Just look at the  number of iron styles they had available back in 2004 or so.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

14 hours ago, Cwebb said:

I can appreciate your preference, but it would not be profitable for a small company.  The demand for a left hand zero offset blade would be tiny.  Even more so from a small company.  

Right handed... You must have mixed up another guy in the thread who wanted left handed.

I just wanted a zero offset right handed forged blade with minimal stamping. 

12 hours ago, Bad9 said:

From a Tom Wishon post on Golfwrx back in 2011

"Tooling die costs are not insignificant - for a set of forged irons, the forging dies required to make an iron model run $5K per head number at minimum. For drivers, it runs in the area of $3K per head model/loft. During my 26 yrs in clubhead design, I've never seen a left hand clubhead model sell more than 8% of the total units it will in the RH version. In the US, 6% of all golfers are left handed, in Canada it is 15%, but the blended average ends up being 8% in terms of actual units. So when you are a smaller specialty company as we are, tragically we have to look at that 8% number and do the math to determine if it could possibly be viable to do the left hand tooling in a model. "

That gets you to at least $40k for an 8 head set in 2011, just for the forging dies. Add in all the other costs of production and the payback for a very specific set for what is probably the smallest part of the golf club market(left handed, low offset, forged blades) is not even close to meeting the production costs much less other business costs and profit.

Link to the thread  https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/679424-new-wishon-forged-players-irons/page/2/

I wanted right handed clubs - you mixed up my post with another guy who wanted left handed.

I'm just saying that a zero offset blade could be made with the same forging die used in the 1960's. There has to be many of them available for cheaper than designing a brand new one it's just that for whatever reason every club has offset now.

Just now, mgoblue83 said:

I wanted right handed clubs - you mixed up my post with another guy who wanted left handed.

I'm just saying that a zero offset blade could be made with the same forging die used in the 1960's. There has to be many of them available for cheaper than designing a brand new one it's just that for whatever reason every club has offset now.

I would imagine they wore out and were thrown away.

10 minutes ago, chipa said:

Regarding a return on an investment, I believe the costs involved but the reality is a mb blade with little offset has changed little in the last 50 years so there would be really no need to get new dies every year, maybe once every ten years.

I think trying to compete with the big companies with their varied and every changing equipment lines caused Golfsmith to go by the wayside. Just look at the  number of iron styles they had available back in 2004 or so.

Forging dies do wear out, though.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• 6 months later...

I have been a component guy for years as I enjoy building my own stuff and custom fitting was not very prominent when I started building 19 years ago. I liked very stiff shafts, flat lie angles, blades, and stuff that most people didnt like. I was a pretty exclusive Snake Eyes guy. So disappointed that brand is gone, but I get it. 

Switched to Maltby. Bought a TS1 5 iron and after 1 shot,  I knew I would build the set to replace my Snake Eyes 675B blades. I have had a full Maltby bag for a time. However, I am starting to drift from that. 

I think Maltby irons are as good as anything on the market. I play with a lot of good players. Have had several hit my irons and not a complaint. 

I think their woods are just "meh." At best. I just haven't gotten along with any of them except the last model KE4 3 wood, but my delivery has changed over the years and I started spinning it off the planet. 

Going forward, my next set will likely be a used OEM set or maybe a DTC with a good demo program (i.e. New Level, and they sell components, Sub 70, Haywood). The reason for this is that there are less and less quality options for components, which makes it harder to justify. The Maltby stuff (irons, wedges) is really top notch, the New Level stuff looks awesome also. The rest of them, like Dynacraft, Acer, Monark, and anything else sold at Hireko, Diamond Tour, etc arent worth fooling with.

My last two purchases were a used SIM that I bought extra adapters for it and tried numerous shafts until I found one I liked. Total investment was maybe $500. Then, I won some money in a Saturday game and bought a G425 lst 3 wood after doing some fitting/testing with my pro. I reshafted it also with an x flex Xcaliber Avalon 6. $450 all in. 

Ultimately,  I feel like the best days of component brands is long, long gone.

• Like 4

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

5 hours ago, Jtgavigan said:

I have been a component guy for years as I enjoy building my own stuff and custom fitting was not very prominent when I started building 19 years ago. I liked very stiff shafts, flat lie angles, blades, and stuff that most people didnt like. I was a pretty exclusive Snake Eyes guy. So disappointed that brand is gone, but I get it. 

Switched to Maltby. Bought a TS1 5 iron and after 1 shot,  I knew I would build the set to replace my Snake Eyes 675B blades. I have had a full Maltby bag for a time. However, I am starting to drift from that. 

I think Maltby irons are as good as anything on the market. I play with a lot of good players. Have had several hit my irons and not a complaint. 

I think their woods are just "meh." At best. I just haven't gotten along with any of them except the last model KE4 3 wood, but my delivery has changed over the years and I started spinning it off the planet. 

Going forward, my next set will likely be a used OEM set or maybe a DTC with a good demo program (i.e. New Level, and they sell components, Sub 70, Haywood). The reason for this is that there are less and less quality options for components, which makes it harder to justify. The Maltby stuff (irons, wedges) is really top notch, the New Level stuff looks awesome also. The rest of them, like Dynacraft, Acer, Monark, and anything else sold at Hireko, Diamond Tour, etc arent worth fooling with.

My last two purchases were a used SIM that I bought extra adapters for it and tried numerous shafts until I found one I liked. Total investment was maybe $500. Then, I won some money in a Saturday game and bought a G425 lst 3 wood after doing some fitting/testing with my pro. I reshafted it also with an x flex Xcaliber Avalon 6. $450 all in. 

Ultimately,  I feel like the best days of component brands is long, long gone.

Just wanted to say I thought those Snake Eyes irons were some of the best I'd ever seen and hit. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TNGolfer8 said:

Just wanted to say I thought those Snake Eyes irons were some of the best I'd ever seen and hit. 

I still have the 675b blade irons. I was playing them until about a year ago. I kind of wish I had kept my 600c's. 

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

I had some Snake Eyes irons when I started back playing golf a couple of years ago but I gave them away because I was away from the game for almost 10 years and couldn't hit them.

However, after trying various component irons, from GI to blades I eventually settled on some '99 DCI 990B cast blades based on reviews here on the forums and my desire to find an iron w/o so much toe weight like is found on most clubs today. 

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

I was just gifted a set of component clubs - Ping Zing 2 clones, with Revelation-branded graphite shafts, and midsized Lamkin grips.  It'll be my first venture into graphite shafted irons, so I'm very interested in seeing what's up.

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

57 minutes ago, HappyGilmoresBoots said:

I was just gifted a set of component clubs - Ping Zing 2 clones

I had S300 shafts in mine. Bought in '96 or '97 and donated to Goodwill last summer when I bought my "real" clubs. I still have the 2 iron.

• Like 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Sheets is a good guy on top of being a first rate designer. He has never failed to answer an email asking about clubs. 

• Like 2

KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

On 3/9/2021 at 4:13 AM, BIG STU said:

Remember first off most recreationla golfers outside of WRX and other forums are not as equipment savy as we are

Now the component market in any area depends on the strength and reputation of the fitter/ dealer. My friend was one of the top fitters ( IMHO ) on this beach. He sold and built Alpha , Infiniti , KZG and Wishon. He did real good. He retired and moved about 4 years ago now. Since then you hardly see any of those brands around.

`On the equipment savy thing my other Bud used to be the Miura dealer ( he also retired). We always had big groups to play. One time we went to a course and probably out of 20 players there were about 10 sets of various Miura irons. One of the bag drop guys told the other guy those were clone junk. I about died. I told him whiz kid get on your phone and look up Miura and see about them being clone junk. What was so bad those guys were students at one of our local PGM schools.

One of the bag drop guys

maybe thats why hes a bag drop guy.Ignorance

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thayneil said:

One of the bag drop guys

maybe thats why hes a bag drop guy.Ignorance

It is rampart down here especially with the Founders Group courses--- I had to quit using my older Hoofer on carts because the bag drop guys were crushing the living crap out of it. I have also seen cart guys put bags on and some of those bags the way they are designed and bend the crap out of someones putter.

Now the current course I am a member at ( thankfully not a Founders Group Course) both of the owners sons work the bag drop and they have been trained how to properly put a bag on a cart. And yes they know Miura clubs are not clones either.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

On 3/8/2021 at 11:01 AM, lefthack said:

Sometimes off the rack just works.

Yep.  when I took up the game I bought Ping off the shelf.  Eight months later moved into Mizuno blades that were built to my needs.  In 2k MacGregor built custom grind blades for me.  Then in 2006, I bought Callaway's Original X-Forged off the rack, and didn't need them changed in any way.  I bought my 620 series MB and CB sets off the rack too, with only minor customizations.   I am just not the type player that would buy component clubs.

From what I've seen, it's still difficult for a Lefty to get what you want off the rack. 

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

2 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

From what I've seen, it's still difficult for a Lefty to get what you want off the rack. 

I'm lucky if there are any lefties on the rack to begin with.  🤣

• Haha 1

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2021 at 9:48 AM, chipa said:

I think trying to compete with the big companies with their varied and every changing equipment lines caused Golfsmith to go by the wayside.

IMO they lost their way when they made the shift from doing what they did well, selling their own line of clubs and club components, and went into the brick and mortar retail golf business. If they'd stayed with what they did best, like Maltby, they'd probably still be around.

Cleveland Launcher HB Driver 10.5 degree

Cleveland Launcher Halo Hybrids 16, 19, 22 degree

Cleveland Launcher HB Irons 5-SW

Cleveland CBX 2 Wedge 60 degree

All with graphite shafts, JumboMax Ultra Lite size S

Taylor Made Daddy Long Legs putter, Winn Dri-Tac Jumbo Lite Pistol Putter Grip

Callaway Supersoft

5 hours ago, eht8266 said:

A tangential hypothetical question - would anyone in wrxland have found or played Srixons if they were branded as Dunlop / Slazenger and if they didn't have the pockets to find their way into top 20 tour bags?

Good question, without tour presence it’s tough to sell clubs.

KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ray Cook M2 Mallet

I think the debt the new owners took on doomed Golfsmith. When the boom slowed they simply didn’t have the sales to cover it. 

KE4 5 wood 17* 43”
Maltby MXU 23* 
Maltby Tricept TU 5 Iron
Wilson Pi5 6-PW
Wilson JP 55* SW
Ray Cook M2 Mallet