SC300 - Backyard net help

Hey, anyone got any ideas that might help?

Recently got a new SC300, works perfectly at the range, total distances are spot on with what I would expect and correspond pretty closely to my Garmin watch total distances that I've been tracking. 

In my backyard net though, I can't get accurate readings. Looking at the attached screen grab, the 4 swings at the bottom are from a range session on my 9 iron. You'll see total distance looks to average around 125m which is exactly where I'd expect it. The rest of the swings are from my net. Distance and swing speed are both a lot lower. 

I've been testing the SC300 in my net for a few weeks and have had the same results with all clubs, and with all different set up options with net, launch monitor etc. It is consistently lower, and I also do get a lot of bad readings around 60-80m total distance (I've already deleted those from this screen grab) and I don't get those at the range. 

- It is not the way I am swinging in the net. I feel like I have to absolutely swing out of my skin to get around my expected carry/total distance. My regular swing goes between 120-130 for 9 iron. On the day below in the screen grab, I purposely did my "regular" swing at both the range and in the net. I drove home after the range and went straight to the net, so it wasn't like hours later with no energy. Plus like I've said this happens any time I try and use the net, its always lower, I am never anywhere near my expected numbers unless I am absolutely smashing it. 

- The unit is not faulty I assume, since it works perfectly at the range.

- I have tried with a big black theatre curtain on the inside of the net, covering basically the whole inside of the net with black so there is no white net to be seen. And tucked the black curtain in at the bottom so it doesn't fling up when the ball hits it and possibly confuse the radar. Made no difference.

- I have tried adjusting the level that the launch monitor is sitting on the ground, flat on the ground, using the foam, using the box, using a thin piece of wood, using an adjustable tripod thing. I even got a big panel of solid wood and put launch monitor on that and hit off the wood to make sure it was on exactly the same level. Nothing seems to make a difference. 

- I currently have the hitting area set up at 10 feet from the net (impact). I've tried 6 feet, 8 feet, 12 feet, even a few at 14 feet. Nothing seemed to make a difference there either. 

- I have tried having the launch monitor at different distances from the ball too, based on reviews on here, 3ft, 4ft, 5ft, 6ft. Nothing seems to make a difference there, mostly got worse when I moved it around. 

- In my current setup in the backyard the launch monitor does face north into the sun, however I've tried hitting in mornings and afternoons when the light is not hitting the net or the radar (but still with plenty of light around), and those didn't make a difference. I also tried moving the net so that the sun was behind the launch monitor and I didn't test that for long but it didn't seem to be working any differently. I also tried shading the radar of the launch monitor so there was no direct sun falling on the radar and that didn't help. 

- I just checked my setup and the hitting mat was sitting at perfectly level 0 degrees and the area I normally place the launch monitor is also perfectly level at 0 degrees.

Has anyone here had a similar experience and have any ideas? Do I need to try any of the above ideas again in more depth? Are there any other issues that I'm not aware of? I have heard about interference and even though the net is right next to a tin shed there is no electricity in that shed its just garden storage. 

Cheers

IMG_6921.jpg.1de4b0caf73105ae4f2ff7b6d7318935.jpg

- Also lofts are entered correctly into app and I've checked they are sync'd properly on the SC300 when I'm hitting each club (ie. the correct loft is showing on screen of the SC300 when I'm hitting each club, as I have seen that it can be off when sync has muddled up sometimes). 

I don't have an SC300.  I have an SC100 but I have noticed that it works better when there is more ball flight from strike zone to the net.  I currently use 12 feet.

It seems you've tried different lengths in that regard so it may not be your issue.  Suggest using it at a different location having a net at least 10 feet from the strike zone and comparing the results.  I believe there might be some form of interference with your current setup.

Do you or a neighbor have anything nearby that could be emitting a signal that could cause interference?

How smart are these things? Can they tell the difference between a golf ball and anything else that might fly into the signal path? Like a bug or a leaf?

How big is the signal cone? Could it be seeing something over/beside and behind the net?

These things are looking for something moving in the signal path. I assume they do some filtering to weed out things that would be moving slower than a golf ball but what velocity might they choose as the low point?

Maybe they also filter out things that aren’t moving directly away from the signal?

Edited by jds_mlb

I have one as well and I found it worked really well on the range and when I set it up outside to hit into the net.  When I set it up inside, I had the exact same issue so I think it may have something to do with the lighting but not positive.  For the winter I now leave it in the garage as it works there as well.  Sort of strange and I cannot figure it out but, like you, I find the device is very accurate on the range and in the right conditions and for the price I use it when and where it will render the proper results.

I just received one and have about 5 sessions  on it.  The carry yardage was embarrassing light. Ive only run it into a net, with about 7 -8ft in front and 5 ft behind.  

Won't lie, i just returned to the game last summer, and I am horrific. I've  played for over 20 years but am self taught.  One correction I made to my swing today, brought todays averages up about 15 yards per club in my session today (1w, 5w 6 &7I) .  So, today I thinking perhaps  many of the disheartening yardages, might have been more myself.  I have yet to get this to the range, but hopefully soon. 

• 3 months later...

I have had the exact same issue. Seems to work pretty accurately at the range. However, it vastly underestimates my distance when using my net in the garage. I've tried all kinds of different setups to try to maybe find a 'sweet spot' for the monitor, but they all fail.  Different distances, different backdrop, etc. The one difference I have noted is that my swing speed registers about 20 mph slower indoors, no matter the setup, and this will obviously affect distance. I've even set it up outdoors to hit in the net, and still have the same issue.

While the unit seems to work well at a range (and not even optimal conditions), it fails under net conditions. Is this a unit issue? Anyone else encountering this?

Are you using normal golf balls into the net?  Foam golf balls will read lower or not at all.  The only foam ones I've gotten to work are the Almost Golf balls.

I find it helps to cut the grass really short between the ball and monitor so the radar signal isn't blocked by the grass.  I have the Mevo which works at 24GHz. 

This is pretty much an interference free frequency as signals will be blocked by the trees and foliage around my back  yard.  A leaf can effectively block a 24GHz signal.

The Mevo works by sending out a 24GHz signal.  The radar reflection is mixed with the outgoing 24GHz signal to produce an audio signal.  I assume they have a digital signal processor to sort out the audio signals to get the data we want.  By making the units tiny the wires are also tiny, greatly reducing the possibility of the wires picking up unwanted interference at other frequencies.

Edited by ShortGolfer

Yep, regular new golf balls. I always hit off a mat in the garage, so no interference between monitor and ball. Made sure the monitor is level with the mat, all distances from monitor to net within specs. I tested the unit again today at the range and at home. Swing speed was 15-20mph slower at home. No idea why swing speed is affected. Gonna send this unit back. 

• 1 year later...