Epic Speed Triple Diamond

speeder717

It's a mix of the Speed and Max LS - but at the same time is neither.

It has the shape of the Speed and some of the forgiveness/face shape of the Max LS - but does not contain the new jailbreak nor a moving weight track. it has the older 'two weight' front/back method of weighting and also the two regular jailbreak bars from the last few models.

• Like 1

Epic Speed + TCPro 6 / TS2 3W + BF 7 / TSi2 7W + Tour AD MJ 8 / GAPR Lo 4 + MMT UT 105  / Apex 19 Pro + Modus3 120 / MD5 / Toulon Las Vegas +  KBS CT Tour

TRiple diamond will be available at the end of March in a limited release thru the tour authentic line, TCB irons and raw MD5 wedges.

• Like 1
M3 9.5* / Atmos Black Tour Spec
M4 16.5* / Hzrdus Black
M4 Hybrid 19* / KBS Prototype
P-770 / Project X LZ 6.0
52* / 58* Black Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
59* Original Trusty Rusty / Hump shaft
60* Raw Milled Grind Wedge / KBS Custom
Toulon Garage Columbus Triple Black

wait, the epic speed triple diamond doesn't have the new AI Speed Frame? That's gotta be a joke, they have a bunch of pictures of their tour staff holding the speed frame and they aren't even using it?

11 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

It's a mix of the Speed and Max LS - but at the same time is neither.

It has the shape of the Speed and some of the forgiveness/face shape of the Max LS - but does not contain the new jailbreak nor a moving weight track. it has the older 'two weight' front/back method of weighting and also the two regular jailbreak bars from the last few models.

Mavrik SZ TD 9°- Diamana x'17 50S

M5 3W @17° - LAGP Trono 65 S

Forged Tec 3h 19° - Ventus blue HB
Ping i210 4-U - Recoil Prototype 95 F4
Edison Forged 57°, LAGP TPZone05
JT Inspired Scotty - Pokéball weights 🤓752313247_JTInspired.png.5848a80125bcd9ca883dc1dab202263a.png

53 minutes ago, ShAMbotay said:

wait, the epic speed triple diamond doesn't have the new AI Speed Frame? That's gotta be a joke, they have a bunch of pictures of their tour staff holding the speed frame and they aren't even using it?

To get the weight more forward and add the plug in front there isn’t room. There are going to be 3 different triple Ds released..in May. Along with forged raw wedges for $200 and the TCB irons.

Edited by QuigleyDU

Driver: Titleist TSi3 Ventus blue 6x

3 wood: Titleist Tsi2 15 Ventus blue 7x

& Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; LAB DF2.1
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

4 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

To get the weight more forward and add the plug in front there isn’t room. There are going to be 3 different triple Ds released..in May. Along with forged raw wedges for $200 and the TCB irons.

that's wild. I get that there isn't room because of the plug in front, but why mislead the masses into believing that the pros are using the ai speed frame like they did?

more importantly, can you elaborate on what exactly the 3 triple diamond models are going to be? characteristics, forgiveness, spin, and whatnot.

Mavrik SZ TD 9°- Diamana x'17 50S

M5 3W @17° - LAGP Trono 65 S

Forged Tec 3h 19° - Ventus blue HB
Ping i210 4-U - Recoil Prototype 95 F4
Edison Forged 57°, LAGP TPZone05
JT Inspired Scotty - Pokéball weights 🤓752313247_JTInspired.png.5848a80125bcd9ca883dc1dab202263a.png

11 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

4 minutes ago, ShAMbotay said:

that's wild. I get that there isn't room because of the plug in front, but why mislead the masses into believing that the pros are using the ai speed frame like they did?

more importantly, can you elaborate on what exactly the 3 triple diamond models are going to be? characteristics, forgiveness, spin, and whatnot.

Funny, the info shared with me is the opposite; the Speed Frame is present. It’s listed on the sole too.

65C92B60-8418-47FF-A958-EB7A97029367.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Callaway Epic Speed TD 10.5° driver Tensei Pro White 1K 60S

Callaway Epic Flash 15° fairway wood Tensei Pro Blue 70S

Callaway Epic Flash 18° hybrid MMT Hybrid 80S

Callaway Epic Flash 21° hybrid MMT Hybrid 90S

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedge 50-07 Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

Titleist Pro V1

6 minutes ago, ShAMbotay said:

Well. AI is in relation to the face. So no lie there. Speed frame is something differently and I think many pros are using the retail model head. I think almost half.

PUTTER; LAB DF2.1

1 minute ago, noodle3872 said:

Funny, the info shared with me is the opposite; the Speed Frame is present. It’s listed on the sole too.

65C92B60-8418-47FF-A958-EB7A97029367.jpeg

Good info. I have not seen any triples in person.

Maybe it is just different. For the record.. the additional screw or plugs on the retail model are there for just looks. There is nothing attached there..

• Like 2

PUTTER; LAB DF2.1

34 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

Good info. I have not seen any triples in person.

Maybe it is just different. For the record.. the additional screw or plugs on the retail model are there for just looks. There is nothing attached there..

I’m told the speed frame is positioned between the front weight port and face so there is no interference.  

• Like 1

Titleist Pro V1

7 hours ago, noodle3872 said:

I’m told the speed frame is positioned between the front weight port and face so there is no interference.  

Hmmm, so it's possible.

We know the two small dots between the larger 'old' jailbreak dots are just cosmetic. Maybe callaway just doubled down on that fact and removed them all together but still having the new frame.

Epic Speed + TCPro 6 / TS2 3W + BF 7 / TSi2 7W + Tour AD MJ 8 / GAPR Lo 4 + MMT UT 105  / Apex 19 Pro + Modus3 120 / MD5 / Toulon Las Vegas +  KBS CT Tour

I wonder why so many pros play the triple diamond models? I love my standard Mav SZ. I had thought of trying the Max LS if it's more forgiving but I don't imagine it will be worth the change. 

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Max LS @ 8* Ventus Black 6x

Callaway EFSZ @ 14* Ventus Black 7x

Callaway TC Apex 2019 Hybrid @ 19* Veylix Rome 988X (Gamer) | Taylormade Sim UDI 2i Hzrdus Handcrafted Black 105x

Miura TC201 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100 

Vokey JDM Forged 50F/56M & Tour Issue Raw TVD Prototype M 60* Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 35" 

Srixon Z Star XV 2021

Linksouldier 

48 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

I wonder why so many pros play the triple diamond models? I love my standard Mav SZ. I had thought of trying the Max LS if it's more forgiving but I don't imagine it will be worth the change. 

Forgiveness and more spin. tbh most pros dont need 1800-2200 spin...the sub zero models were 'launch monitor heroes'. Hence why callaway release a more playable head and stopped making the SZ.

Edited by third-times-a-charm
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/10/2021 at 10:07 AM, bcflyguy1 said:

The Trip Diamond heads have been so popular because they give the players using them the neutral/fade bias they need without the knuckleball that they don't. There's also differences in their shaping that tend to make them appealing, but that's not really what we're talking about here.

"Silly low" spin isn't wanted by high level players (and SHOULDN'T be wanted by players of any level that want a driver that's going to allow them to score their best) for a multitude of reasons.

1. Top level players' strike patterns are tight enough and they swing fast enough that they don't need spin rates around 2000 and below to hit the ball far enough. Their strikes rarely stray very far from the more optimal regions of the driver face, and they all bring their own gas in the club head speed department. The added distance from knuckleball-ish spin simply isn't needed.

2. Keeping spin in a more manageable window makes for a much more predictable and playable trajectory. Player X can aim up the left third of the fairway and let his fade rip knowing it's not going to fall excessively to the right. If you take 4-500 RPM of backspin away from that player, now all of a sudden that reliable little fade starts to move more than they want. They start having to make compensations to accommodate the club, and that's bad practice for a player of any level never mind the best in the world. There are of course rare exceptions to this, Colin Morikawa being the one that comes to mind first. While above Tour average, his club head speed is rather modest when compared to many of the current best of the best. His AoA with driver is +5, his spin rate dwells just above 2000, but he can function that way because the consistency of his delivery and strike quality is freakishly good even compared to his freakishly good peers.

3. At the speeds top level players swing it and the distances they drive it, they're looking for all the help they can find to ideally keep their ball in the fairway but at the very least keep the ball in play. Keeping spin on the golf ball helps them do that, but that's not what drivers designed to win the "TrackMan Olympics" provide them.

4. "Silly Low" driver spin is a barrel of laughs when you're on the range with TrackMan trying to see what sort of ludicrous spin rates and distances you can produce, but it rapidly loses its comedic value when your money game is on the line and you need to get a drive in play. Given the choice between a knuckleballing bomb into the gunch or a shorter and higher spinning drive that's likely to give me a greater chance to shoot a score, I know which one I'm choosing. Nobody cares how far you bombed it when you're next shot is classified as a recovery...and you're forking over money at the 19th hole while you're playing buddies are giving you the needle about your driving.

As an aside, remember TaylorMade's "Everybody Launch it at 17* and 1700 RPM to hit it 17 more yards tO sCoRe SeVeNtEeN sTrOkEs LoWeR" PR campaign? I've only ever seen one player who can produce those launch conditions, and he's a regular playing partner of mine. He's in his early 60's, has never taken a lesson but still manages to play around scratch with a most unorthodox but effective home-grown swing. You can't understand how comical the 17* 1700 drive looks until you see my guy hit one in real life. Your first thought will likely be "that's absurd, I could never play my best golf hitting drives that look like that," and you'd be exactly right. 

This is spot on. Well Played sir.

Callaway's newest tour truck media guy weighed in on this over on his new subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/CallawayWorldofWunder/comments/mbfe7x/epic_speed_101_an_introduction/gry4s5c/

• Like 2

Callaway Mavrik SZ TD, 10.5* Ventus Black
Callaway Mavrik 4W Ventus Black
Callaway Apex 3H
Callaway Apex Pro 21 4-PW MMT 105 TX
Callaway MD5 50*S / 54*S / 60*T DGTI
Toulon Garage Santa Monica

When is the expected release of the retail TD heads?

Callaway Tour Epic Speed 3D LS 8.5 - Mitsubishi Tensei 1K 50TX

TaylorMade Sim Tour TI V2 15 - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X
PXG 0317X Gen2 19  (Actual 17.5) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 8X
PXG 0311X Gen2 3 - Fujikura Ventus Blue 9X
PXG 0311P Gen3 - 4 / 0311ST  - 5-9 - SteelFiber 110x
PXG Milled "Sugar Daddy" 46,50,54 - DG TI S400
Miura Tour Milled 60 - DG TI S400 Onyx
Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport 2  

2 hours ago, blakehall said:

Callaway's newest tour truck media guy weighed in on this over on his new subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/CallawayWorldofWunder/comments/mbfe7x/epic_speed_101_an_introduction/gry4s5c/

Thanks for posting, should help clarify things regarding all the different models. 

• Like 1

Epic Speed LS 🔷🔷🔷 9* Hzrdus Hulk Smoke 6.5TX
Nike Vapor Fly 3HL Matrix 8M2
Titleist 910HD Fuji HB 90/Nike VFP 3 Fuji P95X
T-MB 4 C-Taper 130X

T-MB 5 PX LS 7.0
6-PW Cobra King Forged CB PX LS 7.0
Vokey TVD 52/58 KBS Tour 130X
PM Grind 64 KBS Tour 130X
Studio Design 1.5 Circle T/Arm Lock Double Wide

14 hours ago, blakehall said:

11 hours ago, swgolf12 said:

Thanks for posting, should help clarify things regarding all the different models. 

That’s former WRX’er Johnny Wunder A.K.A @JohnnyCallaway 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Titleist Pro V1

On 4/2/2021 at 9:45 AM, djhgolf said:

When is the expected release of the retail TD heads?

Spoke to the Callaway rep at a demo day on Saturday and he said they should be out around April 19th

• Like 1

#1: Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond 9'- Ventus Black 6X 

#3: Ping G400 Stretch 13' - HZRDUS HC Yellow 75g 6.5

3H: Titleist TSi3 20* (TI) - Motore 8.8 X

I: National Custom Works CB/MB DW - MMT 125 TX

W: Titleist SM8 Raw 56.14F & 60.14K - TT X100 TI Black Onyx

P: SC Newport 2 Centershafted P r o t o t y p e

Has anyone seen pictures of the top? Curious if the crown treatment is the same as the regular Speed line

10 hours ago, JohnnyCallaway said:

DB807D6B-D558-42D6-88EC-F9E8E35743C3.jpeg

040BDC35-CE96-47BE-AC9A-0FEB2DB9722F.jpeg

8A66E0E4-440A-4D67-9860-3046BAAC32EE.jpeg

Mother of God that is good looking

• Like 1

On 3/9/2021 at 10:55 PM, ShAMbotay said:

Looks like there is plenty of room for a forward weight plug behind the jail break bars. Those 4 small plugs on the bottom are cosmetic.

Callaway Epic 21 Drivers Revealed - Golf Monthly Gear News

On 4/2/2021 at 9:37 AM, blakehall said:

Interesting that the retail LS spins less than the TD.

"LS Spins less than 💎💎💎. If I had to put a number on it (for me) its about 200-300 RPM."

The Mavrik TD is a winner for me.  Interesting that the Epic Speed TD LS is the closest to the Mavirk TD.

Thanks for the link!

1 hour ago, wdaig1 said:

So we will be able to buy the TD heads through retail?

I ordered mine through our clubs Callaway rep. He said that both are pretty limited releases. Not sure about retail

• Like 1

Just came in today, heading to the range to see how it stacks up against my Epic Flash TD. 

5232A2BB-D317-46EB-BDBC-9F95DD097A7B.jpeg

0038BD7A-E699-497A-B016-5D68F5849CBA.jpeg

0D618565-A43C-462E-8CBB-1A352F8E732A.jpeg

• Like 4

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9* w/Aldila Rogue White 130 70TX

3 Wood: Titleist TSi 2 15* w/Fujikura Motore X F1 7X

5 Wood: Titleist TSi 2 18* w/Aldila Rogue White 130 80 TX

Titleist T-200 Utility 3 iron w/Project X 6.5 Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 90

Irons: Ping iBlades 4-PW w/Project X 6.5

Wedges: SM8 Raw 52F & 58T grind w/Project X 6.0

Putter: Custom Slighter Tacoma

2 hours ago, JamesG12 said:

how did it work out?

I think it’s a very solid driver but looks like I’m gonna stick with my Flash TD. 

I do think the Speed TD has slightly better feel but to me the Flash TD has more fade bias to it which I definitely prefer. 

About to throw the Speed TD on BST

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9* w/Aldila Rogue White 130 70TX

3 Wood: Titleist TSi 2 15* w/Fujikura Motore X F1 7X

5 Wood: Titleist TSi 2 18* w/Aldila Rogue White 130 80 TX

Titleist T-200 Utility 3 iron w/Project X 6.5 Hzrdus Smoke Black RDX 90

Irons: Ping iBlades 4-PW w/Project X 6.5

Wedges: SM8 Raw 52F & 58T grind w/Project X 6.0

Putter: Custom Slighter Tacoma