Jaime Diaz: "Thank you Bryson..."

13 minutes ago, clevited said:

I am not entirely sure if that wasn't a mistake that he hit it in the bunker.  He might have felt that even if it went long into a bunker that he had a better opportunity to make at least birdie than he would have playing that hole in a typical fashion.   If that was his thinking, he just didn't execute.

I guess maybe he thought he could stop it on the fairway before the bunker ? No chance  he played from that bunker on purpose.  He missed the green twice from there.  It’s a very low percentage play. 

im just saying that there’s a no mans land line of diminishing returns , where you either need to go at the green , or put it on a hood wedge number.  70 yards in a bunker is no mans land for anyone.  Hardest shot in golf.   

Titleist tsi2 10* Mitsubishi TB 70x 

Titleist ts2 16.5 * Tensei CK pro Blue 80TX

Cobra F9  7 wood 22.5 blue board 80TX 

Titleist T100 4-pw  

Vokey sm7 50*54*58*v grind

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bryson took a ballsy line imo.  He made it look easy, it is not.  I dislike all of the comments about distance and it making the game less skilled etc.  Its about getting the ball in the hole in the l

I have to wonder: is this a question about BDC's length, that he was bold enough to take a shortcut on a severely curved hole with said length, or said length took the thrill out of a hole that would

Real question.  slash statement.      last two rounds with Bryson on #6.  He drives it both times into spots where he can’t even hit the green in 2.  Really great lob shots over bunker at

Posted Images

9 hours ago, juliette91 said:

Not really, that's part of the problem---adding 10 acres of land on to a course in order to achieve that. Not feasible.

Really don't understand why this needs to be explained, but your totally missing the point.  No new land needs to be added, just change the holes par number from 5 to 4 and then add new tee boxes to the par 4's closer to the green. really not that difficult to comprehend.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

Interesting to listen/read rollback arguments.  Comparing golf to most any other sport is moot, but I like the baseball comparison the best however that’s an easy fix with the ball they use.  

Most rollback advocates have never and will never hit the ball 350+.  They will never understand how hard it is to control a ball at those speeds.  They will never imagine the lines that have to be taken off the tee to make it work, the tighter tolerances of misses to keep it in play.  Mathematically It is much more difficult to consistently hit a 325yrd drive in play than a 275yrd drive. 

In addition to the longer more difficult drives, the “Jaime”s of the world will never understand that these distance gains not only affect lateral dispersion but equally important linear dispersion.  The gapping for long hitters is also increased.  Their “between clubs” moments are more frequent and imagine that difficult touchy/feely 40-50yrd shot for average golfers now applies to 40-110yrds.  Ultimately you’re score is determined at the bottom of the cup, not on the tee box or by what club you’re holding on your second shot.

I will concede distance is advantageous.  I also think it will govern itself by the law of diminishing returns.  

Golf is in a great place right now!  All styles and types of golfers have a chance to win at the highest level.  I don’t see any one particular style of gopher dominating week in and week out. Add in the style of venues around the world and I can’t think of a more exciting era to be in.  

• Like 3

Driver G410 LST 10.5* Ventus Velocore Blue 6x
Fairway G410 3-wood Ventus Velocore Blue 7S

Irons Ping i210’s with DG 120 x-100’s +1/2”

Wedges Glide 3.0’s 50*, 55*eye2 grind, 60* +3/4”

Putter L.A.B. 2.1

No need to roll back anything. Make the existing course harder. Grow the rough to make it genuinely penal for not hitting the fairway. Give them a 5-foot wide first cut, a 5-foot wide second cut where it's an iffy "flyer" or not, and then it's 4-8 inches deep. Make the bunkers penal, like when Jack had them furrowed at Memorial and change the consistency of the sand. And lastly, the greens can be manipulated as well.

Now getting the governing bodies to do this is a different story and until they grow the 'nads to make the course play tougher, it's not going to happen as they are riding the Bryson/Distance train as well. Non-golfers are tuning-in to see what he did at #6 and this is creating more revenue for the Tours and the networks. This whole conversation has created a buzz about golf among the general public not seen since Tiger started his seek and destroy mission over 20 years ago.

No matter the sport it still boils down to "chicks dig the long ball" and the money it earns.

JBeam Bullet 10*                           Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Exotics CBX119 15* 3WD.             Fujikura Ventus Red 8X

Exotics CBX119 18* 5WD              Accra Tour Z RPG 382 M5
MIURA CB57 4-7                            MCI MMT-125TX

MIURA MB-001 8-P                       MCI MMT-125TX
Chikara V1 Proto 52, 57, 61           MCI MMT-125TX (8-iron)

Cameron 009 Prototype 1.5 Beach 34/350 (A010656)

1 hour ago, Cliffy2020 said:

Interesting to listen/read rollback arguments.  Comparing golf to most any other sport is moot, but I like the baseball comparison the best however that’s an easy fix with the ball they use.  

Most rollback advocates have never and will never hit the ball 350+.  They will never understand how hard it is to control a ball at those speeds.  They will never imagine the lines that have to be taken off the tee to make it work, the tighter tolerances of misses to keep it in play.  Mathematically It is much more difficult to consistently hit a 325yrd drive in play than a 275yrd drive. 

In addition to the longer more difficult drives, the “Jaime”s of the world will never understand that these distance gains not only affect lateral dispersion but equally important linear dispersion.  The gapping for long hitters is also increased.  Their “between clubs” moments are more frequent and imagine that difficult touchy/feely 40-50yrd shot for average golfers now applies to 40-110yrds.  Ultimately you’re score is determined at the bottom of the cup, not on the tee box or by what club you’re holding on your second shot.

I will concede distance is advantageous.  I also think it will govern itself by the law of diminishing returns.  

Golf is in a great place right now!  All styles and types of golfers have a chance to win at the highest level.  I don’t see any one particular style of gopher dominating week in and week out. Add in the style of venues around the world and I can’t think of a more exciting era to be in.  

Both Bryson and Rory, two guys who can hit the ball 350, have said that a roll back would actually help them compared to the average tour pro, since they have the skill to benefit from a more difficult game (as compared to the rest of the tour).

You may think that golf is in a great place right now, but more and more elite players are beginning to disagree.

• Thanks 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
19 hours ago, clevited said:

Bryson took a ballsy line imo.  He made it look easy, it is not.  I dislike all of the comments about distance and it making the game less skilled etc.  Its about getting the ball in the hole in the least number of strokes, not playing the course as intended.  If you were at a putt putt course and had the skill to hit the ball up and over the windmill for an easy bird, that is a skill and shouldn't cause outrage just because you make it look easy.  These are the best of the best.  99.9% of the golfers in the world can't do what Bryson did or even if they had that distance, wouldn't try.

Looks like even the PGA Tour, which is in the entertainment business, has decided that 18 at TPC Sawgrass should be played as intended by using internal OB to keep Bryson from driving over to the 9th fairway.

The roll back is coming, and there isn't much you can do about it.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
32 minutes ago, gvogel said:

Looks like even the PGA Tour, which is in the entertainment business, has decided that 18 at TPC Sawgrass should be played as intended by using internal OB to keep Bryson from driving over to the 9th fairway.

The roll back is coming, and there isn't much you can do about it.

Until they start telling each player what club they can hit and when, there is no such thing as played as intended.  That is only a phrase that applies to the designer of the course, and in no way is a rule any player has to go by.

The OB thing could be as much a safety measure as is it anything else.  A busy course with people playing into other fairways (especially if a blind shot to there) on purpose is a recipe for casualties.

...looked it up, confirmed my suspicions.

In the interest of safety for spectators, volunteers and other personnel, The Players Championship rules committee has installed an internal out of bounds left of the lake for play of hole 18. Similar instances of internal out of bounds for safety purposes have occurred at The Open Championship (hole 9) in 2017, the 2021 Sony Open in Hawaii (hole 13 and hole 18), and most recently, the 2021 Arnold Palmer Invitational presented by Mastercard (hole 6).

Edited by clevited

See this is the issue, is that Bryson is not insanely longer than anyone else on tour:

image.png.04fce434c15acae01054970b2bd6bd9e.png

If you're telling me what he can do vs what the others can do is game breaking you're insane.  The most impressive thing is that his 323 is almost ALL carry, which allows him to take much more aggressive lines that the other guys cannot take.  So I guess make the trees taller?

SIM2 - G410 LST - something random - G410 Crossover 20* - i500 5-W (5i 2* strong, 6i 1* strong) - MD 52*, PM 58* & 64* - F22
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2021 at 11:04 AM, J_Tizzle said:

See this is the issue, is that Bryson is not insanely longer than anyone else on tour:

If you're telling me what he can do vs what the others can do is game breaking you're insane.  The most impressive thing is that his 323 is almost ALL carry, which allows him to take much more aggressive lines that the other guys cannot take.  So I guess make the trees taller?

Ha!  Well said sir!  It is the carry that separates him and allows those unique lines of attack--and for me that alone supports Diaz' opinion

• Like 1
On 3/10/2021 at 2:04 PM, J_Tizzle said:

The issue that Jaimie brings up is not about Bryson.  It is about all of the modern players, and the tour average driving distance.  Much of that gain in 30 years has been from technology.  A lesser amount is from fitness and agronomy.  The game has become one dimensional - drive and pitch to a large extent.  A good part of the tee to green game has been made much easier, while faster green speeds and tucking pins in small spaces has kept the scoring relevant.

Rollbackers just want the tee to green game made more difficult.  Power will always be a big advantage.  Rory and Bryson agree; I think that Tiger does as well.

The ball for the PGA and European Tours needs to be rolled back so that the tour average is 275 not 295.2.  The longest players will still be the longest but their long drives will be 325 not 375.  Occasionally they will have a fairway wood for a second into a par 5 and occasionally have a long iron into a long par 4.  This was the way the game used to be played and it is much more interesting to watch.  Driver-sand wedge and then putt on every hole is boring in the long run. They can't keep lengthen golf courses.   I don't think the ball needs to be rolled back for club play or most amateur golf.   Bifurcation at the the tour level. 

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, NevinW said:

The ball for the PGA and European Tours needs to be rolled back so that the tour average is 275 not 295.2.  The longest players will still be the longest but their long drives will be 325 not 375.  Occasionally they will have a fairway wood for a second into a par 5 and occasionally have a long iron into a long par 4.  This was the way the game used to be played and it is much more interesting to watch.  Driver-sand wedge and then putt on every hole is boring in the long run. They can't keep lengthen golf courses.   I don't think the ball needs to be rolled back for club play or most amateur golf.   Bifurcation at the the tour level. 

If they split the rules into 2 I'd be 100% for that as long as they allow the belly putter back for us ams.  I still have one sitting around just in case, of course I'd need to shorten it a bit since my belly has expanded a bit over the past few years, lol.

• Haha 1
SIM2 - G410 LST - something random - G410 Crossover 20* - i500 5-W (5i 2* strong, 6i 1* strong) - MD 52*, PM 58* & 64* - F22
1 hour ago, J_Tizzle said:

If they split the rules into 2 I'd be 100% for that as long as they allow the belly putter back for us ams.  I still have one sitting around just in case, of course I'd need to shorten it a bit since my belly has expanded a bit over the past few years, lol.

Me too!

Bryson is exceptional not in terms of power because after all he swing a lot harder than anyone else out there, but in terms of accuracy as he has optimized his clubs for distance at the expense of control. If Finau had the same setup and swung at the fences like Bryson he would be averaging 20 yards farther, but then again he would lose a lot of balls too.

Mazel 10.5 deg Accuflex Ultraboom X, i-Drive 2h Accuflex 82g X, Acer XV Pro/Tour 4i-S, FST 115 SX, TM TPA X

That is a terrible hole to make your point on.  Cape holes are designed to reward the golfer who takes the biggest risk and succeeds.  Hit a big hook and play to the fairway of three then onto the green of #6.

Is an 80 yard bunker shot more likely to turn out better than a 200 yard fairway shot?  How about 80 yards in the rough?  This is just taking advantage of the logic and eschewing the old false logic regarding he importance of staying in the fairway above most all else.

This won't change until the uncontrolled variables in the equipment are returned. 

• Like 1