2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

New High End Boutique Putter manufacturer: Dancing Astronaut Designs

17 hours ago, TJGolf55 said:

Black PVD with timascus insert and gloss black paint fills. 

DE265CE1-CC04-4635-814F-288ACF0523B7.jpeg

AE3A05AB-9CAB-4880-89B6-9460CAA4B5E4.jpeg

BA9A5879-2C1A-4AC6-B758-C5F6997B51BC.jpeg

That’s a good looking putter!

Taylormade SIM2 MAX 9* AutoFlex 505xx 

Taylormade SIM 5 RIP X 85TX

Srixon ZX 20* Recoil 95X

Srixon ZX5 4-6 DGTI X100

Srixon ZX7 7-PW DGTI X100
Taylormade MG2 TW 52/56/60 S400 TI
Kevin Burns 9305LN LAGP One35

1 hour ago, Rory4Pres said:

Both finishes look great, love the headcover too!

What's going on with the alignment aids?  Both appear to be about 10% closer to the heel than the toe?

The alignment aids are put on the balance point of the putter. Nearly 98% of putters that are made the alignment aids are just centered causing people to push or pull putts unknowingly. It’s rare to have a putter that the balance point is perfectly centered on the head. 

1 hour ago, Rory4Pres said:

TJ,

I'm a little surprised you went with the same face milling on both.  Are they the same head weights and everything else other than the color?

They are the same other than color....  The raw stainless was a prototype working of the plumbers neck. He made 2 of the same putters and asked if I wanted both. I couldn’t resist when I saw the pics. 

17 minutes ago, TJGolf55 said:

The alignment aids are put on the balance point of the putter. Nearly 98% of putters that are made the alignment aids are just centered causing people to push or pull putts unknowingly. It’s rare to have a putter that the balance point is perfectly centered on the head. 

They are the same other than color....  The raw stainless was a prototype working of the plumbers neck. He made 2 of the same putters and asked if I wanted both. I couldn’t resist when I saw the pics. 

Interesting. If Sean’s watching this thread, maybe he can post a pic of one of his putters similar to this one. I’d be curious to see it. I rarely ever see any makers provide photos of a balanced head. 

C7AEFB3B-E868-4579-823F-174FE7894ED4.jpeg

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Rory4Pres said:

His statement is kind of insane.  Basically saying 99% of anser and anser 2 style manufacturers are providing inaccurate sweet spots with their line alignment.

Here is a Kevin Burns putter I have laying around...  As you can see the alignment aid is off slightly towards the toe which is typical...

4D7F7F2B-6B26-4A7D-B54E-5C035B5785C3.jpeg

E5D55EE9-BD2F-4041-9AEA-5319E84725A4.jpeg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TJGolf55 said:

Here is a Kevin Burns putter I have laying around...  As you can see the alignment aid is off slightly towards the toe which is typical...

4D7F7F2B-6B26-4A7D-B54E-5C035B5785C3.jpeg

E5D55EE9-BD2F-4041-9AEA-5319E84725A4.jpeg

It looks like the alignment aids are slightly towards the heel to me on this KB.  I could be wrong but that's what I'm seeing.  I've gotta putter without a shaft in it yet I'll be sure to check the balance on that one before installing the shaft.

This KB has a wider toe flange than heel.  

1 minute ago, Rory4Pres said:

It looks like the alignment aids are slightly towards the heel to me on this KB.  I could be wrong but that's what I'm seeing.  I've gotta putter without a shaft in it yet I'll be sure to check the balance on that one before installing the shaft.

That’s what I meant..  Towards the heel...  

2 minutes ago, Rory4Pres said:

A lot of putter makers will either balance the putter by putting more mass in the toe either longer bumpers, more mass in the shoulder, slightly higher toe, etc. The other option is cherry bombs or drill holes in the heel to remove weight from the heel side. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

3 minutes ago, MattM97 said:

A lot of putter makers will either balance the putter by putting more mass in the toe either longer bumpers, more mass in the shoulder, slightly higher toe, etc. The other option is cherry bombs or drill holes in the heel to remove weight from the heel side. 

I was thinking the same thing regarding the tour dot/cherry bombs.

Just now, Rory4Pres said:

I was thinking the same thing regarding the tour dot/cherry bombs.

Tour Dots and Cherry Bombs allow the head to keep a symmetrical shape as some people see that extra mass in the toe and get turned off from it on a looks perspective. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

19 minutes ago, Rory4Pres said:

And all along, I thought I just sucked at putting only to find out it was my putters fault.  

Believe it or not...  It just might be! Especially something mass produced.

Tolerances from what I understand is 8 grams from a  quality control standard on mass produced putter. 8 grams can throw the balance point way off!!!

Edited by TJGolf55

22 hours ago, TJGolf55 said:

The putters shipped today! Should have them for this weekends rounds...

78990FE4-D419-46E8-A8A7-8A6F240AD748.jpeg

962958E2-26BD-48C3-B21D-55146378CCB5.jpeg

AB26550D-FDE9-42E7-8B4B-E16A0AE5866A.jpeg

4C9A4505-9000-4470-A244-7ED2092D840C.jpeg

C38FBEE7-178E-4DCE-B1DF-E5F7899B08F7.jpeg

DA3E89B1-7944-4466-B72A-E7C30FCE53E2.jpeg

88534E2E-2BEB-48F9-84AF-9CD21C3B9A44.jpeg

Make sure you post some more pics when you get it. I’d love to see one at address framing the ball. I’d also like to see pics of the front and back...basically more angles and in some different lighting (maybe in the sun!).

7 hours ago, Rory4Pres said:

His statement is kind of insane.  Basically saying 99% of anser and anser 2 style manufacturers are providing inaccurate sweet spots with their line alignment.

Like most of these boutique, copy-cats, they will try and reinvent the wheel to sell. I find it hard to believe this small operation, has discovered something companies with millions put into R&D havent found in regards to the anser shape. Why these guys/gals charge upwards of $2k for a putter is beyond me, but obviously people buy them. I understand the prices with Scotty's and even Betti's, but some of the smaller unknown brands it just doesnt make sense to me. Each to their own.

Edited by Circaflex
  • Like 1

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

7 hours ago, Circaflex said:

Like most of these boutique, copy-cats, they will try and reinvent the wheel to sell. I find it hard to believe this small operation, has discovered something companies with millions put into R&D havent found in regards to the anser shape. Why these guys/gals charge upwards of $2k for a putter is beyond me, but obviously people buy them. I understand the prices with Scotty's and even Betti's, but some of the smaller unknown brands it just doesnt make sense to me. Each to their own.

It seems like we have beaten this horse to death and how you guys wouldn’t spend the money on a new brand. Have you ever stopped to think 2500 doesn’t matter to the individual but having a piece that represents them perfectly does. 

I Personally have spent over 5500 with Sean and had a wonderful experience from top to bottom ordering putters. The turn around times, communication, adaptation, suggestions, options, and quality of work. Now if you value buying a putter that’s off the rack by all means go ahead. Some people just value the experience of buying something this custom and seeing the process through. What I spent on my first flat stick from him beats the quality of a base circle t or mass produced bettinardi any day. Plus the amount of compliments I get is astonishing.

If you ever spend this kind of coin on a putter,  customer service is extremely important to me. All of those services and attention to detail come at a price and Sean’s prices are what I’m willing to pay for that service. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ms307nm said:

It seems like we have beaten this horse to death and how you guys wouldn’t spend the money on a new brand. Have you ever stopped to think 2500 doesn’t matter to the individual but having a piece that represents them perfectly does. 

I Personally have spent over 5500 with Sean and had a wonderful experience from top to bottom ordering putters. The turn around times, communication, adaptation, suggestions, options, and quality of work. Now if you value buying a putter that’s off the rack by all means go ahead. Some people just value the experience of buying something this custom and seeing the process through. What I spent on my first flat stick from him beats the quality of a base circle t or mass produced bettinardi any day. Plus the amount of compliments I get is astonishing.

If you ever spend this kind of coin on a putter,  customer service is extremely important to me. All of those services and attention to detail come at a price and Sean’s prices are what I’m willing to pay for that service. 

This is a good point. Two other people in the last day just posted threads about how they’re having bad customer service experiences with The Putting Engineer and Low Tide. I’ve also read read quite a few threads about bad customer service experiences with other well-known boutique makers. While these may be relatively isolated events for these boutique makers, they’re bad experiences all the same. Low Tide and The Putting Engineer aren’t super expensive by any means, but they’re also not considered that cheap. Ask those two guys if they would have paid even a little more for a much, much better customer experience (those kinds of boutique makers are definitely out there), or perhaps more likely, much less for an OTR experience. The customer experience is probably mainly what you’re paying for in the upper tier boutique putter range (not to mention you get something else unique in the putter you own). I would bet that Sean spends more time communicating and is more responsive with his customers than most of the other boutique makers. Is this because his prices are higher and he has less customers to communicate with?...yes...that’s his whole business model.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ms307nm said:

I think there have been so many price comments simply because of the shell shock of a new company coming to the market at 3 to 5 times the price of other boutique companies.  That being said, like I previously mentioned, he's focused on small numbers (which greatly helps customer service!) and his price is in line to match that small production.  

My thought is simply, why not make that heel of the face astronaut logo more deep in the face to help shed a couple 3-6 grams and bring the center of balance more to the middle of the head.  Or increase the toe flange/bumper in the overall design slightly to achieve the same goal.  

Obviously you love your DAD putters (and TJ will soon share his input I hope) so that's the most important detail.  I've seen  A LOT of Olson putters within shouting distance of the same price point being resold almost immediately after people get them.  That was one of the factors that steered me away from considering an Olson.

I would think overall a custom Betti would be the most direct competitor to DAD price-wise and would compare quality based on that.  I haven't seen hardly any custom betti's since they announced they were doing custom putters though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonradus said:

This is a good point. Two other people in the last day just posted threads about how they’re having bad customer service experiences with The Putting Engineer and Low Tide. I’ve also read read quite a few threads about bad customer service experiences with other well-known boutique makers. While these may be relatively isolated events for these boutique makers, they’re bad experiences all the same. Low Tide and The Putting Engineer aren’t super expensive by any means, but they’re also not considered that cheap. Ask those two guys if they would have paid even a little more for a much, much better customer experience (those kinds of boutique makers are definitely out there), or perhaps more likely, much less for an OTR experience. The customer experience is probably mainly what you’re paying for in the upper tier boutique putter range (not to mention you get something else unique in the putter you own). I would bet that Sean spends more time communicating and is more responsive with his customers than most of the other boutique makers. Is this because his prices are higher and he has less customers to communicate with?...yes...that’s his whole business model.

Who said they had bad customer service experiences with the Putting Engineer?? He has sent me IG messages and emails every step of the way. Should be shipping soon. Covid hurt some of the components but they have been transparent about it. I have no problems with them, they have been great! 

Titleist TSR2 10° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 19° KBS Tour Hybrid Proto

PXG Gen5T 4-GW KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 56 & 60 S400

Piretti GOAT

10 minutes ago, Rory4Pres said:

I think there have been so many price comments simply because of the shell shock of a new company coming to the market at 3 to 5 times the price of other boutique companies.  That being said, like I previously mentioned, he's focused on small numbers (which greatly helps customer service!) and his price is in line to match that small production.  

My thought is simply, why not make that heel of the face astronaut logo more deep in the face to help shed a couple 3-6 grams and bring the center of balance more to the middle of the head.  Or increase the toe flange/bumper in the overall design slightly to achieve the same goal.  

Obviously you love your DAD putters (and TJ will soon share his input I hope) so that's the most important detail.  I've seen  A LOT of Olson putters within shouting distance of the same price point being resold almost immediately after people get them.  That was one of the factors that steered me away from considering an Olson.

I would think overall a custom Betti would be the most direct competitor to DAD price-wise and would compare quality based on that.  I haven't seen hardly any custom betti's since they announced they were doing custom putters though.

Olson putters are mostly bought on flash sales and flipped. I know that is what I did. I have email into him for custom quote on a plain putter. Some of the best quality I have ever seen though on a putter and would not let that steer you away from Olson. Give them a chance, great feeling and extraordinary attention to detail!

Mizuno T24 56 & 60 S400

Piretti GOAT

10 minutes ago, luke1333 said:

Who said they had bad customer service experiences with the Putting Engineer?? He has sent me IG messages and emails every step of the way. Should be shipping soon. Covid hurt some of the components but they have been transparent about it. I have no problems with them, they have been great! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, luke1333 said:

Olson putters are mostly bought on flash sales and flipped. I know that is what I did. I have email into him for custom quote on a plain putter. Some of the best quality I have ever seen though on a putter and would not let that steer you away from Olson. Give them a chance, great feeling and extraordinary attention to detail!

I think you are the first one I've heard with a positive experience from Olson so that's nice to hear.

I just picked up 8 putters being customized/adjusted from the golf shop yesterday.  I have a lot of trial and error before considering another custom putter.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rory4Pres said:

I think you are the first one I've heard with a positive experience from Olson so that's nice to hear.

I just picked up 8 putters being customized/adjusted from the golf shop yesterday.  I have a lot of trial and error before considering another custom putter.  

Yeah I know he is backed up right now so might be a bit before I hear from him but everybody is like that right now. And what 8 putters you got!?!?

Mizuno T24 56 & 60 S400

Piretti GOAT