Jump to content

Mizuno MP-22


joeymack14

Recommended Posts

I thought the MP-20 MMCs were a huge improvement over the MP-18 MMCs, since I don't quite have the game for a full set of MBs that's why I had wanted to get a combo set of the 20s.  Then I never got fitted for them so will probably wait for the 22s this year.  I hope the HMB stays because after grabbing one on a whim to replace my previous 3 and 4 iron I can not mishit that thing.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Its been discussed here but I don't think there is any question if Mizuno made their MP look like the TItleist MB's it would be a clear hit. The consensus is Titleist feels clicky but look better. And a positive is Mizuno can control the look but a lot harder for Titleist to emulate the feel of a Mizuno.

 

And many more Tour players will play the club if it was a Titleist look and Mizuno feel.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, oih said:

Its been discussed here but I don't think there is any question if Mizuno made their MP look like the TItleist MB's it would be a clear hit. The consensus is Titleist feels clicky but look better. And a positive is Mizuno can control the look but a lot harder for Titleist to emulate the feel of a Mizuno.

 

And many more Tour players will play the club if it was a Titleist look and Mizuno feel.  

 

4 hours ago, speeder757 said:

Mizuno is addicted to thick top lines and somewhat odd head shapes that don’t flow well

I agree in principle about Titleist look with Mizuno feel however Voshall has said the thick top line helps the club feel better. This may be the click associated with Titleist blades. 

  • Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed TD 10.5° driver Tensei Pro White 1K 60S

Callaway Epic Flash 15° fairway wood Tensei Pro Blue 70S

Callaway Epic Flash 18° hybrid MMT Hybrid 80S

Callaway Epic Flash 21° hybrid MMT Hybrid 90S

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedge 50-07 Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

Titleist Pro V1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, speeder757 said:


 

No. Their older irons felt great and all had a thinner topline 

Depending on what models you’re talking about, many older designs had the muscle back extend higher up the back which reduces the need to make the top line thicker. 

  • Like 1

Callaway Epic Speed TD 10.5° driver Tensei Pro White 1K 60S

Callaway Epic Flash 15° fairway wood Tensei Pro Blue 70S

Callaway Epic Flash 18° hybrid MMT Hybrid 80S

Callaway Epic Flash 21° hybrid MMT Hybrid 90S

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-PW & GW Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedge 50-07 Modus3 Tour 120 S flex

Mizuno T20 Raw Wedges 55-13 and 60-06 Modus3 125 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport

Titleist Pro V1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, speeder757 said:

Mizuno is addicted to thick top lines and somewhat odd head shapes that don’t flow well

 

Completely agree with this, one of the things I like about the 919 tours is the 9 / PW are consistent a shape & size to the rest of the set 

 

Sometimes with Mizuno blades the 9 / PW look completely different to my eye

  • Like 1

Driver - Taylormade SIM 10.5°

3 wood - Titleist 910f 15°

Hybrid- Titleist 910h°

Irons - Mizuno 919 Tour 4 - PW

Wedges - Titleist SM7 51 / 55 / 60 DG

Putter - Yes! Callie

Ball - Titleist Pro v1x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Jimjam651 said:

 

Completely agree with this, one of the things I like about the 919 tours is the 9 / PW are consistent a shape & size to the rest of the set 

 

Sometimes with Mizuno blades the 9 / PW look completely different to my eye

 

That's generally a more traditional look for blade sets especially Japanese sets. The Japanese tend to more offset in the shorter irons (traditionally they had 'reverse' offset to what is seen as conventional elsewhere, little to no offset in the long irons graduating to more in the short clubs to deal with ball position moving further back in the stance, it makes sense if you think about it.) and bladed short clubs generally used to get alot bigger so they could move mass higher in the head to control trajectory better. It's easier to move mass higher in a CB/hollow head etc than a blade. A small blade, lower profile wedge with the same muscle as a long iron goes straight up in the air. There is also the issue of how you strike the ball with a shorter club, the tendency is to be steeper and make contact with the ball higher on the face so the club head needs to be taller with more weight up near to the top. This is why bascially every set of irons ever made changes in shape from 8 iron down. It's not just Mizuno who do/did this with their blades either, look at a set of Titleist 680s or even Tiger's new TM blades, their wedges and 9 irons look bigger too.

 

The thicker topline does contribute to feel in my experience, bascially the more mass behind the ball and thicker blade overall the better the feel in general and potentially abit more forgiveness. They could purposefully shave down the very top edge to get a thinner topline for aesthetics only as the new Rickie Cobra blade does but from my experience of older blades with a thin topline (the Mizuno TP original come to mind) is that the feel on mishits especially high on the blade is horrible. I personally prefer a slightly chunkier topline as long as it's not silly thick. The old MacGregor Muirfield 20th seem about perfect and are actually quite thick compared to some. The thicker topline makes me feel like I'm hitting the ball with a sledgehammer and the feel is extra solid.

Edited by Skipperation
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Jimjam651 said:

 

Completely agree with this, one of the things I like about the 919 tours is the 9 / PW are consistent a shape & size to the rest of the set 

 

Sometimes with Mizuno blades the 9 / PW look completely different to my eye

I know the MP 64s are very good and respected, but I had to ditch them I couldn't hardly stand the flow through the set. It was backwards to what I was used to. Long irons pretty small and thin flowing to bulky 9 and PW. Just didn't jive in my head.

 

Seems like they've fixed this now

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I went with the T-20 47* because of these reasons, shape was a little more to my liking, though I think the short irons in the 20s look better than some of the older irons which got very shovel-like. 

Edited by TLUBulldogGolf
  • Like 2

Titleist 917 D3 9.5* Kiyoshi Black 65-05
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
(Testing) Titleist T200 3 iron w/ Tensei Raw White 100-X and TSi2 21* w/ HZRDUS RDX Black 80 6.5
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 Raw 47-07 PX 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM8 Raw 52-08F/56-10S/60-04L PX 6.5/6.0/6.0
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol 1.0

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/18/2021 at 5:56 PM, speeder757 said:

Mizuno is addicted to thick top lines and somewhat odd head shapes that don’t flow well

Yup. They have lost their way. It’s a shame since the older blades were terrific before the MP5’s.

 

the 18’s not sure who on tour is even playing them. Not one free agent I can remember played them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Skipperation said:

 

That's generally a more traditional look for blade sets especially Japanese sets. The Japanese tend to more offset in the shorter irons (traditionally they had 'reverse' offset to what is seen as conventional elsewhere, little to no offset in the long irons graduating to more in the short clubs to deal with ball position moving further back in the stance, it makes sense if you think about it.) and bladed short clubs generally used to get alot bigger so they could move mass higher in the head to control trajectory better. It's easier to move mass higher in a CB/hollow head etc than a blade. A small blade, lower profile wedge with the same muscle as a long iron goes straight up in the air. There is also the issue of how you strike the ball with a shorter club, the tendency is to be steeper and make contact with the ball higher on the face so the club head needs to be taller with more weight up near to the top. This is why bascially every set of irons ever made changes in shape from 8 iron down. It's not just Mizuno who do/did this with their blades either, look at a set of Titleist 680s or even Tiger's new TM blades, their wedges and 9 irons look bigger too.

 

The thicker topline does contribute to feel in my experience, bascially the more mass behind the ball and thicker blade overall the better the feel in general and potentially abit more forgiveness. They could purposefully shave down the very top edge to get a thinner topline for aesthetics only as the new Rickie Cobra blade does but from my experience of older blades with a thin topline (the Mizuno TP original come to mind) is that the feel on mishits especially high on the blade is horrible. I personally prefer a slightly chunkier topline as long as it's not silly thick. The old MacGregor Muirfield 20th seem about perfect and are actually quite thick compared to some. The thicker topline makes me feel like I'm hitting the ball with a sledgehammer and the feel is extra solid.

 

Thanks for the detailed reply and it all makes sense!  I hope my comment didn't come across as a criticism of Mizuno designs, it's simply a personal preference visually that I prefer a more subtle transition from mid to short iron.  

Driver - Taylormade SIM 10.5°

3 wood - Titleist 910f 15°

Hybrid- Titleist 910h°

Irons - Mizuno 919 Tour 4 - PW

Wedges - Titleist SM7 51 / 55 / 60 DG

Putter - Yes! Callie

Ball - Titleist Pro v1x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, toddyc said:

I know the MP 64s are very good and respected, but I had to ditch them I couldn't hardly stand the flow through the set. It was backwards to what I was used to. Long irons pretty small and thin flowing to bulky 9 and PW. Just didn't jive in my head.

 

Seems like they've fixed this now

 

Visually to me bladed sets often have what I would describe as a reverse progression of small long irons progressing through to larger short irons, it's something I could never get that comfortable with.

 

I've always ended up with sets that have a more consistent shape & size throughout.

Driver - Taylormade SIM 10.5°

3 wood - Titleist 910f 15°

Hybrid- Titleist 910h°

Irons - Mizuno 919 Tour 4 - PW

Wedges - Titleist SM7 51 / 55 / 60 DG

Putter - Yes! Callie

Ball - Titleist Pro v1x

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/19/2021 at 8:49 AM, toddyc said:

I know the MP 64s are very good and respected, but I had to ditch them I couldn't hardly stand the flow through the set. It was backwards to what I was used to. Long irons pretty small and thin flowing to bulky 9 and PW. Just didn't jive in my head.

 

Seems like they've fixed this now

The best combo set of Mizuno’s I’ve ever had was 3-6 MP-64 and 7-pw MP-4. I miss that setup. They flowed nicely together but that 3 iron was demanding as all heck! 

  • Like 3

Taylormade M5 TI 8° Fujikura Motore F1 7X WRX issue 
Taylormade M1 2017 TI 15.5° 3HL Kuro Kage XD 80TX
Taylormade GAPR Lo TI bonded 18 2 iron Tour AD 95X
Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-PW Black KBS $taper 130X
Vokey SM7 raw 50F, 54S & 58D Green Nippon 125 wedge
Bettinardi Queen Bee #7

All Iomic Stick 2.3 grips and I-Classic Mid Putter grip
Titleist Pro-V1 High #s
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/19/2021 at 7:35 PM, oih said:

Yup. They have lost their way. It’s a shame since the older blades were terrific before the MP5’s.

 

the 18’s not sure who on tour is even playing them. Not one free agent I can remember played them. 

https://www.golfwrx.com/645407/ryan-moore-witb-january-2021/

 

  • Like 1

Cobra RAD XB 9* - RDX Blue 6X / Cobra SZ Big Tour - Ventus Black 7X / Callaway Apex 3 Hybrid - AD IZ 95X / Titleist TMB 4 - Catalyst 100 6.5 / Mizuno MP20 MMC 5, MP20 6-P - PX 6.5 / Vokey SM8 50.08F, 56.12D, 60.08M - PX 6.0 / TM Spider Tour Black / Bridgestone BX

Link to comment
Share on other sites

MP20 Lineup appeals to different markets and blending choices.

 

As an older golfer, I like the HMB and find it easier to play/more forgiving than the JPX 919F. And it's fine for those who need a 3 or 4i and want more assurance/forgiveness. Okay, it may be slightly bigger than you want but that's why they have the Blade.

  • Like 1

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Observer of Peeps, Wannabe Novelist

 

  • Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5 (at 9)/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft
  • Honma TR21 Fwy 3, 5 wd
  •  Ping G425 20.5 Hy/TPT Golf  or Honma TR21 4H
  • Honma TW-X 5-PW/Mitsu MMT 85g or Mizuno HMB 5-PW Accra CWi95
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59/Nippon 105 
  • Artisan 0521 or 0321 Putter

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/16/2021 at 6:28 PM, oih said:

Don't need cooper gimmicks. 

 

 

Cooper. That’s a tire company right? Some kind up vulcanized rubber underlay?? That’s why they feel so soft! Ahhhhh 🤣

Normally I’m not taking the cheap shot and calling out a spelling error. But to call copper underlay a gimmick???  The gloves come off. Haha

Edited by TiScape
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, SwingMan said:

MP20 Lineup appeals to different markets and blending choices.

 

As an older golfer, I like the HMB and find it easier to play/more forgiving than the JPX 919F. And it's fine for those who need a 3 or 4i and want more assurance/forgiveness. Okay, it may be slightly bigger than you want but that's why they have the Blade.

👍🏼 I have 919F 4-PW and the HMB 3i. Working out very nicely. Also, off the tee as a DI, the HMB 3i is a rocket launcher. Love it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/15/2021 at 5:14 AM, chinaski said:

 

Srixon is a direct competitor with the JPX line. Am excited to see their new MB whenever it comes out. I wish they would have kept those in same line though. 

Here’s my take. The MPX line would be perfect if they did away with the HM Pro. They’d have the HM-Forged-tour. I think where Srixon loses it is the jump from the ZX5 to ZX7. (I truly don’t see how ppl play a mixed set of these. The soles on the 5s are like twice as thick as the 7s) It’s like Mizuno’s HM to Tour. The Forged fills that gap perfectly IMO. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would love to give mizuno another chance but as long as its toplines are thick and offsets are more than I would like, I will be sticking with titleists.

 

Mizuno seems confused in the last few years. Alot of overlap with all their irons, all seem like the same thing with a different finish. At least in their “players” offerings. Their driver release this year really had me scratching my head. On the tail end of all the other major releases with nothing but a different paint job on a st200, and no “g” model. Cant get out of their own way it seems. They still have a ton of success obviously, thanks to their namesake. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I hope they go more "blade" like in the blade. Smaller and thinner please.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Driver = Titleist TSi2 Hzrdus smoke Black RDX 6.0

1 iron = Titleist U510 Hzrdus smoke RDX 6.0
3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
Irons = Wilson Staff FG59, DG S300 4-PW
Wedges = Bettinardi HLX 3.0 50*

                  Taylormade MG2 56* and 60*

Putter = Odyssey white hot pro 1WS 

Ball = Bridgestone Tour B RXS 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • 2022 Farmers Insurance Open Photos - 26 WITBs & New Gear- Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
      General Albums - 
       
      2022 Farmers Insurance Open - Monday #1
      2022 Farmers Insurance Open - Monday #2
      2022 Farmers Insurance Open - Monday #3
      2022 Farmers Insurance Open - Monday #4
       
       
      WITB Albums - 
       
      Hideki Matsuyama - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Sung Kang - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Adam Long - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Brandon Wu - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Jimmy Walker - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Sam Burns - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Xander Schauffele - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Trey Mullinax - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Daniel Berger - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      James Hahn - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Phil Mickelson - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Aaron Wise - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Justin Thomas - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Lee Hodges - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Jordan Spieth - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Cameron Champ - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Kyle Stanley - WITB - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
       
       
      Pullout Albums - 
       
      New Super Stroke grip - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Tour Aim alignment aids - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Swag Golf: Hideki's caddie bowing at Augusta, signed headcovers – 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Dylan Frittelli's Callaway Apex TCB Sand Wedge (1-of-1 proto) – 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      Bryson DeChambeau's Cobra King LTDx 5-degree driver – 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      NeuroPeak Pro NTel Belt - 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
      JumboMax JMX Zen Lite grips – 2022 Farmers Insurance Open
       
      Cameron Champ WITB has the new Ping i525

       
      Bryson's WITB has the new Cobra LTDx Driver 

       
      Phils new Rogue Driver

       
      Bryson's LAGolf Shaft in the driver

       
      Xander has the triple diamond "S" driver

       
      New SuperStroke grips for 2022

       
      • 7 replies
    • 2022 The American Express WITB Photos (Spotted: New gear for 2022) - Discussion & Links
      Please put and comments or questions here
       
       
      Scotty Cameron putters - 2022 American Express
      New Taylor-Made putters - 2022 American Express
      New Odyssey putters - 2022 American Express
      New Axis 1 model putter - - 2022 American Express
      Patrick Cantlay - WITB - 2022 American Express
      Mitsubishi MMT putter shaft - 2022 American Express
      Ping putter - 2022 American Express
      Abraham Ancer - WITB - 2022 American Express
      Jason Dufner - WITB - 2022 American Express
      Will Zalatoris - WITB - 2022 American Express
      The Surgeon 6109 wedge - 2022 American Express
      LA Golf "DJ Series" shafts (2022 American Express)
       
       
       
      2022 American Express - Monday #1
       
       
       
       
      • 40 replies
    • Sony Open Pics from January 11, 2022 Part 1
      I was able to get out to the Sony Open today to take a few pics.  I guess due to Covid precautions they kept the spectators pretty far from the players.  Also due to camera restrictions they've put in place, I wasn't able to bring the big lens like I normally do. Hopefully they'll ease up on the ropes and I'll be able to get more pics tomorrow!
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 22 replies
    • 2022 Callaway Rogue ST drivers (in-hand photos)
      2022 Callaway Rogue ST Max driver
       

       
      2022 Callaway Rogue ST Max D driver
       
      2021 Callaway Rogue ST Max 
       
      2022 Callaway Rogue ST Max LS driver

       
      2022 Callaway Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS

       
      Rogue ST exploded views
        • Like
      • 214 replies
    • Titleist Vokey SM9 Link on Wedge Works Coming Soon- UPDATED Pics Added Pg 4
      Looks like there is a link on Titleist Wedge Works for the new Vokey SM9, but doesn't show any photos yet.
       
      https://www.vokey.com/product/WM137.html#start=4
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 237 replies

×
×
  • Create New...