Mizuno MP-22

joeymack14

4 hours ago, Trippels said:

I see now on the spec list of mizuno korea that the 223 and 225 are very similar, same offset, similar size, similar lofts.

Wonder what's the argument to pick one over the other?

the same as in the MP20 range: 225 has tungsten to lower the cog = higher launch and higher MOI, because the cog is not only lower but further back.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Trippels said:

I see now on the spec list of mizuno korea that the 223 and 225 are very similar, same offset, similar size, similar lofts.

Wonder what's the argument to pick one over the other?

I think Vosh said the 223 are more tour size.

Let me use one word to describe the difference but the post above also describes it well:

Forgiveness.

Anyone that can hit irons somewhat consistently but without much speed can still game the 225 set. That would be people like me who have a 7i speed at the moment of 78-79 mph.

The 223 will be more demanding; I assume like a woman who does not easily forgive, but is easier to live with than the last woman.

Edited by SwingMan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Saw them all last week, can confirm 223 and 225 look very similar at address, 225 is a very, very playable "distance" iron if that's what you're going for.  I guess I would say 223 is a little bigger than I expected and 225 is a little smaller than I expected as the gap between the 2 doesn't seem very big.  Neither have super thick top lines or tons of offset.  Didn't hit them so cant speak on launch/playability but from an address position I don't see somebody liking one without liking the other

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ping G430 LST 9* w/ HZRDUS Gen4 Black 60 X 
TaylorMade 300 Mini Driver 11.5* w/ HZRDUS T1100 65 X

Ping G425 Max 20.5* @ 19* w/ Aldila Rogue White 80 X 
Mizuno JPX-923 Forged 4, Tour 5-PW w/ DG TI X100

Taylor Made MG3 50*, 56TW*, 60TW* w/ DG TI S400 
Directed Force 2.1 Broomstick 

Titleist Left Dash Pro V1x 

Vosh is live right now on youtube talking about the new irons. 

• Like 2

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I think the 221 will be kinda similar to the mp69 after seeing pics and asking questions in that q&a. Initially I was hoping for an mp5 type blade with forgiveness but with slimmer/sleeker short irons. But I think the 221 will be a normal old school Mizuno mb and will be less forgiving than the mp20.

7 minutes ago, Mp14forlife said:

I think the 221 will be kinda similar to the mp69 after seeing pics and asking questions in that q&a. Initially I was hoping for an mp5 type blade with forgiveness but with slimmer/sleeker short irons. But I think the 221 will be a normal old school Mizuno mb and will be less forgiving than the mp20.

looked smaller than mp20? What do you mean by normal old school Mizuno?

8 hours ago, joshella said:

Full product conversation on ST-G, T22 and Mizuno Pro with Chris Voshall this evening at 9pm UK time.  If anyone wants more than the website copy and polished videos.  It is pre-recorded, but Vosh will be there watching and answering questions live.

it was nice to hear them discuss and be honest about delaying product and not releasing just to release. Making sure the ST-G was just right, and not opening flood gates on new item launches just to have delays to the consumer as the end result. 

The 223s though.. I haven’t been this excited about an iron for a while. I’ll send my fitter a note to keep me posted on when  all these lines are available for fitting. 

15 minutes ago, Redjeep83 said:

looked smaller than mp20? What do you mean by normal old school Mizuno?

Prob shouldn't have said "old school" as it means different things to diff people..but rather it appears to be a small Mizuno mb, like most mizunos, exactly what I think of with older sets, 32s, 33s, 14s etc... Comparitively, the 20s were larger than a lot of those past sets. And I'm strictly speaking on size/forgiveness, not offset improvements/top line etc .. I thought/hoped with this new set they may have built on that mp20 size/forgiveness and go larger like mp5 but not as clunky and sleeker on the shorter irons. But I will ultimately reserve final judgement when I see it in person. But this whole thread is built on speculation, so......lol

2 hours ago, Mp14forlife said:

Prob shouldn't have said "old school" as it means different things to diff people..but rather it appears to be a small Mizuno mb, like most mizunos, exactly what I think of with older sets, 32s, 33s, 14s etc... Comparitively, the 20s were larger than a lot of those past sets. And I'm strictly speaking on size/forgiveness, not offset improvements/top line etc .. I thought/hoped with this new set they may have built on that mp20 size/forgiveness and go larger like mp5 but not as clunky and sleeker on the shorter irons. But I will ultimately reserve final judgement when I see it in person. But this whole thread is built on speculation, so......lol

that sounds good to me, I was kinda hoping for something smaller like the older sets. 

6 hours ago, Mp14forlife said:

Don't think so - Mizuno says they are making them 221-225, smaller with same forgiveness. I believe they said more COR in 225, too. Except for the 223, which will have a much higher core with more forgiveness. Mizuno tries to sneak in more tech without saying much about it.

Edited by SwingMan

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

12 hours ago, SwingMan said:

Don't think so - Mizuno says they are making them 221-225, smaller with same forgiveness. I believe they said more COR in 225, too. Except for the 223, which will have a much higher core with more forgiveness. Mizuno tries to sneak in more tech without saying much about it.

Making them smaller with the same forgiveness??? For 3 easy payments of $500, take my money now! Jk.... I ain't ready to drink their Kool aid on the new 221 mb just yet. Like I said, we're all speculating and have heard marketing claims before and ultimately I'll reserve final judgement and see how they feel/perform.. I will say this tho, the 223 does look interesting  and I'm kinda curious to try it even tho I haven't strayed away from an mb before. Those lofts tho are ridiculous on the 223 but I'm stuck in the past I guess. 

On the Korean and Japan websites they have specs. What do you think is referred to as "FP"? Based on the spec list I'd think offset would make the most sense but the specs shows this feature increasing in value from 5i towards PW which wouldn't make sense (can't imagine the PW would have more offset than a 5i). What then is "FP"?

Mizuno | 【Reservation】 Mizuno Pro 225 6-Piece (No.5 to PW) (Dynamic Gold 95 with Steel Shaft) | Golf | Club (mizunoshop.net)

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, RacineBoxer said:

On the Korean and Japan websites they have specs. What do you think is referred to as "FP"? Based on the spec list I'd think offset would make the most sense but the specs shows this feature increasing in value from 5i towards PW which wouldn't make sense (can't imagine the PW would have more offset than a 5i). What then is "FP"?

Mizuno | 【Reservation】 Mizuno Pro 225 6-Piece (No.5 to PW) (Dynamic Gold 95 with Steel Shaft) | Golf | Club (mizunoshop.net)

I was just getting ready to ask about the specs. Thanks for posting 👍🏻

39 minutes ago, RacineBoxer said:

My understanding is FP is face progression, akin to offset.

Titleist TSi3 9* w/Tensei Blue S

Titleist TS2 FW 15* w/Tensei Blue S
Titleist 818H1 19* & H2 23* w/Tensei Blue S
Callaway Apex Pro 21 w/Recoil F4

Callaway RTX Zipcore Raw 50*, 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Phantom X8 34"

1 hour ago, BostonWRX said:

There Monday Q&A yesterday. Ian said he hit them all and the 223 was his favorite and Matt said that’s the one he has his eye on.  Ian seemed pretty excited about it 

I rather see Mikey hit them. He seems more human

I like Ian and Matt but watching them hit on the sim, looks like they don't have issues hitting any clubs,  hit shots they may not like but I'm like I'd take that all day.

Still can't wait until their full video review...

Any idea when the embargo is ending and videos showing up?

16 minutes ago, Str8Putt said:

I rather see Mikey hit them. He seems more human

I like Ian and Matt but watching them hit on the sim, looks like they don't have issues hitting any clubs,  hit shots they may not like but I'm like I'd take that all day.

Still can't wait until their full video review...

Any idea when the embargo is ending and videos showing up?

I might be interpreting Ian’s comments wrong but it sounded like they got to see/hit them as part of an annual Mizuno briefing with the TXG crew. So, the timing just happened to work out that way; the embargoed review versions aren’t in the hands of golf media yet to prepare YouTube/online reviews. I think it’ll still be a few months before those come out.

• Thanks 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

14 minutes ago, eric61 said:

I might be interpreting Ian’s comments wrong but it sounded like they got to see/hit them as part of an annual Mizuno briefing with the TXG crew. So, the timing just happened to work out that way; the embargoed review versions aren’t in the hands of golf media yet to prepare YouTube/online reviews. I think it’ll still be a few months before those come out.

May be the embargo will be lifted when they release in Japan. They're the same clubs now and will be in the hands of people over there who bought them...who knows though

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bjp1 said:

My understanding is FP is face progression, akin to offset.

Yeah but it makes no sense. They have the offset getting larger as you get closer to the wedge end of the bag. And if you look at something like the 921 Forged on the Japan site, same thing, the "FP" number is bigger on the wedge end of the bag, but that's not how the offset flows through the set if you look at the Mizuno USA site (i.e. the 5i has more offset than the PW). So confused.

1 hour ago, RacineBoxer said:

Yeah but it makes no sense. They have the offset getting larger as you get closer to the wedge end of the bag. And if you look at something like the 921 Forged on the Japan site, same thing, the "FP" number is bigger on the wedge end of the bag, but that's not how the offset flows through the set if you look at the Mizuno USA site (i.e. the 5i has more offset than the PW). So confused.

Perhaps "Face Progression" is the distance the forward edge is _forward_ of the center of the shaft...?