Mizuno MP-22

joeymack14

9 hours ago, longshanks said:

I like my irons to have a little bit of a booty!!!

Then this might be your iron. Bootilicious is what came to mind, actually:). The sole is probably closest to the MP 20 HMB. It is definitely much wider than the MP 20 MMC. The 3D from Korea I posted does not accurately represent how wide that sole actually is. And again, I was holding the 7 iron. To me it looks GI, and that's fine if Mizuno wants to position it there, but I thought that was the hole that the 225 was to fill. Anyway, check it out when they arrive. Obviously it's Mizuno, so it will be quality and do the job, but just not what I was expecting, and not the kind of sole that I'm looking for.  

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Foreleft said:

I am happy tHe 223 has a wider sole.  Last thing I want in a CB is a sole shaped like a blade with blade forgiveness.  

Yeah, I suspect that it will have a lot of MOI...a lot of forgiveness. It's a fairly large head. And It is fairly strong lofted, so it will be long. It will tick a lot of boxes for many golfers. I was hoping it was a 'cleaned' up MP 20 MMC, that's my issue, and it is not that.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cyr67 said:

Yeah, I suspect that it will have a lot of MOI...a lot of forgiveness. It's a fairly large head. And It is fairly strong lofted, so it will be long. It will tick a lot of boxes for many golfers. I was hoping it was a 'cleaned' up MP 20 MMC, that's my issue, and it is not that.

i can appreciate your perspective.  I am looking for a forged Ping i210 (sort of) and they sound like they may tick some of those boxes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, cyr67 said:

Then this might be your iron. Bootilicious is what came to mind, actually:). The sole is probably closest to the MP 20 HMB. It is definitely much wider than the MP 20 MMC. The 3D from Korea I posted does not accurately represent how wide that sole actually is. And again, I was holding the 7 iron. To me it looks GI, and that's fine if Mizuno wants to position it there, but I thought that was the hole that the 225 was to fill. Anyway, check it out when they arrive. Obviously it's Mizuno, so it will be quality and do the job, but just not what I was expecting, and not the kind of sole that I'm looking for.  

Is the 223 and 225 sole comparable in width? Seems the distinction between them is getting a bit blurry. 

0# Mizuno M-craft I KBS one step

1# Mizuno STG Ventus black 6TX

2# Mizuno MP20 HMB Ventus black 10TX

3-5# Mizuno MP20 HMB KBS $ taper 130x hardstepped

6-9# Mizuno MP20 MB KBS $ taper 130x

10-13# Mizuno T22 KBS $ taper 130x softstepped

Bridgestone tour b x

The grip master roo midsize/paddle

1 hour ago, Foreleft said:

i can appreciate your perspective.  I am looking for a forged Ping i210 (sort of) and they sound like they may tick some of those boxes.

I think a 'Forged i210' is a good analogy for the 223. And the i210's are played on a ton of tours, so maybe I need to get over myself on the sole of the 223's;)  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, cyr67 said:

I think a 'Forged i210' is a good analogy for the 223. And the i210's are played on a ton of tours, so maybe I need to get over myself on the sole of the 223's;)  

Forged i210.. fat azz.. GW as an option… 

If these come with the modus 115, I’ll probably be putting in an order in before I even hit them. 

• Haha 1

After looking at the specs, I've decided the lofts on the 225s are too strong for me, and I don't want the extra bounce necessary to fix them. I suppose I'm just not keen on playing a 48 GW, 52 SW and 54 LW.

Without hitting them, and based entirely on what's on paper so far, the "refinements" can't justify replacing my MP-20 HMBs. (And I kinda prefer the simpler look of the backs).

To each their own.

9 hours ago, Foreleft said:

That analogy sounds like a Titleist T100 to me. Much more forgiving than what it looks like.

Callaway Epic Max

Ping G425 5 wood

Tour Edge E521 4,5, Hybrid

Tour Edge C522  5-AW

Ping Glide 58ES

Ping Redwood Anser / Piper S

7 hours ago, youngwaldo said:

Combo for me with the 221 and 223.

The lofts seem like a perfect fit.  

Wk

Where are you thinking you'd break between the 221 and 223?

The lofts I see are like this from the Mizuno Japan site:

| Club | 221 | 223 | 225 |

|------|-----|-----|-----|

|    5    |  27  |  25  |  24  |

|    6    |  30  |  28 |  27  |

|    7    |  34  |  32 |  30  |

|    8    |  38  |  36 |  39  |

|    9    |  42  |  41  |  44  |

|    P    |  46  |  46 |        |

Please forgive my poor table formatting.

I can see splitting between the 7 and 8 and having the 223s bent 2° weak in across the board. There is no data given for the 4 irons in any line.

Edited by PlayInTheRain
Added Table of Lofts
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, cyr67 said:

Mizuno has even said that the 223 will be smaller than the MP20 MMC…so…🧐

• Like 1

I hit the Fli-Hi #4 today in the net at a nearby golf shot. Shaft was an OT iron 75 carbon shaft, which is a bit light for me. The shot monitor figures were weird, but I'd say it's easier to hit than the current Fli-hi, which I have in the bag at the moment. 

It's more chunky at address than the current model, but for me not in a bad way. In fact, I rather liked seeing a bit of junk in the trunk. The feel was really good.

I'm kinda interested, but I'd like to be able to put my current #4 Fli-Hi shaft in the new model. I was told they go on sale on Oct 15 (I'm in Japan), but the club would be unlikely to be delivered until the end of November or early December, and possibly even later.

1 hour ago, cyr67 said:

It is absolutely *not* smaller than the MP20MMC. It’s bigger, overall, and the sole is significantly wider. I should have taken a photo. Maybe by this weekend I’ll get to that and update this. 

How would you compare it to the size of the Srixon ZX7, or indeed the ZX5?

Edited by MMB1500

Great discussion of controversy. I'm waiting until the next Mizuno Vid where peeps can interrogate Vosh

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Observer of Peeps, Wannabe Novelist

• Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5 (at 9)/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft
  • Honma TR21 Fwy 3, 5 wd
  •  Ping G425 20.5 Hy/TPT Golf  or Honma TR21 4H
  • Honma TW-X 5-PW/Mitsu MMT 85g or Mizuno HMB 5-PW Accra CWi95
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59/Nippon 105 
  • Artisan 0521 or 0321 Putter

4 hours ago, cyr67 said:

It is absolutely *not* smaller than the MP20MMC. It’s bigger, overall, and the sole is significantly wider. I should have taken a photo. Maybe by this weekend I’ll get to that and update this. 

This makes sense. Especially if they are moving the 223 closer to the 921 Forged in terms of forgiveness. Size follows forgiveness. You can almost see Mizuno building parallel lines between JPX and MP. MP MB = JPX Tour, MP MMC/223 = JPX Forged, MP HMB/225 = JPX Hot Metal. I had the MP18 MMC, which were definitely bigger with a much wider sole vs MP20 MMC. For the same reason they axed the MP SC, Mizuno doesn't want too much overlap between irons. The current MP20 MMC is closer to the MB than the HMB. Wouldn't surprise me to see a beefier MMC/223 during this cycle.

Cobra RAD XB 9* - RDX Blue 6X / Cobra SZ Big Tour - Ventus Black 7X / Callaway Apex 3 Hybrid - AD IZ 95X / Titleist TMB 4 - Catalyst 100 6.5 / Mizuno MP20 MMC 5, MP20 6-P - PX 6.5 / Vokey SM8 50.08F, 56.12D, 60.08M - PX 6.0 / TM Spider Tour Black / Bridgestone BX

4 hours ago, cyr67 said:

Chris Voshall says it's smaller than MMC. His words exactly. But maybe we're talking about two different things here, because there is "small" as in overall head size, and "small" as in sole width. So could 223 be a more compact head shape than MMC but with a slightly wider sole? 

Mizuno Stg 220 / Rdx Blue

Mizuno Stz 3w 5w / Rdx Black

Mizuno Pro 225 5-G / Project X

Miura Milled 52 56 60 / Project X

Mizuno M-Craft VI / Titleist Pro V1

Anyone tried hitting both 221 and 223? Big difference in the 7 iron down, or is it mostly about the long irons?

0# Mizuno M-craft I KBS one step

1# Mizuno STG Ventus black 6TX

2# Mizuno MP20 HMB Ventus black 10TX

3-5# Mizuno MP20 HMB KBS $ taper 130x hardstepped

6-9# Mizuno MP20 MB KBS $ taper 130x

10-13# Mizuno T22 KBS $ taper 130x softstepped

Bridgestone tour b x

The grip master roo midsize/paddle

Great pics today from the bag of Rory Sabbatini from the Shriner's. See the home page or the WITB. 

They do look fatter in the sole than I expected, but still relatively compact overall. Look great with some nice forgiveness features. 

17 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

Good pics of the 221 in the keith mitchell WITB thread… whats up with the soles???  Its either really deceiving or thats the chunkiest looking blade sole ive ever seen..

yea they look nice, the sole is different. It’s like it doesn’t end towards the back, no hard line. Like rounds off into the back muscle of the iron making it look big especially towards the toe 

• Like 1

Chromoly….🤮 Only the blade doesn’t have chromoly. 

• Sad 1

Callaway Rogue ST LS Triple Diamond 10.5* with Diamana ZF 60 Stiff untipped
Titleist TS1 15* with Fujikura Ventus Blue 6 stiff tipped 1/2"
Titleist TS1 18* with Fujikura Ventus Blue 6 stiff tipped 1/2”

Callaway TCB 4-AW with MMT 105 stiff soft stepped 1x

Callaway Jaws Forged C Grind 55, 60 with MMT 105 stiff scoring wedge
Lajosi DD201 Damascus long neck putter

Scotty Cameron Circle T Concept M2 Arm Lock 42”, 71.5, 6 loft

Pro V1 2021
Golf Pride Tour Velvet cord +1/64"
Ogio Silencer bag

33 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

Good pics of the 221 in the keith mitchell WITB thread… whats up with the soles???  Its either really deceiving or thats the chunkiest looking blade sole ive ever seen..

The photos in the bag are deceiving, I think. If you look at the photo above of the individual 8 iron you can see that the back of the sole is beveled off, so functionally they're not as thick as they look from a distance.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Redjeep83 said:

yea they look nice, the sole is different. It’s like it doesn’t end towards the back, no hard line. Like rounds off into the back muscle of the iron making it look big especially towards the toe 

1 hour ago, uglande said:

The photos in the bag are deceiving, I think. If you look at the photo above of the individual 8 iron you can see that the back of the sole is beveled off, so functionally they're not as thick as they look from a distance.

Even so, thats really interesting, pushing mass that far back on an mb. Not sure what that does in terms of performance, or what their aiming to achieve with that. Moi?