Mizuno MP-22

joeymack14

Gosh, I read these posts, and everyone's view of an iron is subjective to their individual needs. You cannot take someone's opinion for your answer. Just wait until Mizuno gives you more info and you have the iron in your hand. But carry on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Observer of Peeps, Wannabe Novelist

• Ping G425 Max 9/TPT Golf 19Hi Driver
  • Honma TR21 Fwy 3, 5 
  •  Ping G425 20.5 Hy/TPT Golf 
  • Honma TW-X 5-PW/Mitsu MMT 85g 
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59/Nippon 105 
  • Artisan 0521 or 0321 Putter

Everything in the iron market seems to go through waves, ups and downs, even when it comes to design. Are the 223's the sexiest irons ever made... no, but they're definitely a huge step in the right direction coming from the mule's a** that was the MMC's. I don't understand those who complain about sole width and blah blah blah of the 223's. Get the 221's then, assuming you're good enough to play them consistently, and stop complaining. The 223's are meant to be a little more forgiving, especially in the long irons (where us mortals need help most), hence the wider soles to accommodate the speed pocket. I personally think they killed the looks all around with these 3 models. I think they'll be a noticeable improvement with the 223 & 225, that being a slightly smaller package and all. I'm sure through Mizuno custom that you can add cool blue ferrules and all, and if you really hate the script, I'm sure with some research and elbow grease you could remove the paint fill from the back of the club altogether if you want a super clean, non distracting look (and maybe just put blue paint fill in the running bird)

I'm personally curious about the main differences between the Fli-Hi vs. 225 in the 2 iron loft. 

I'll be ordering a ST-G driver, hopefully a ST-Z FW (if it doesn't spin too much on me), 2 iron, 4-PW 223's (or 225's if they don't go too high), and 2-3 T22 Denim Copper wedges. The wife is gonna be pissed, but hey -> look good... feel good... play good!

• Like 3

On 10/5/2021 at 7:12 PM, MMB1500 said:

How would you compare it to the size of the Srixon ZX7, or indeed the ZX5?

I think it would be closer to the Zx5 In overall size and sole width. Perhaps in between but closer to the 5. Zx7’s definitely have a narrower sole. 

Edited by cyr67
  • Thanks 1

I currently play a set of Srixon ZX7 irons (4-PW)... I must admit, I definitely love these clubs... well most of them. It's really nice that when you're playing well and throwing darts, others ask you "what the hell kind of irons are those?"... There's just something special about playing well with a relatively unknown brand... That being said, the carry distance of my irons really start to bunch up around the 4/5 and maybe even 6 mark. While I could just sub-in the ZX5 irons in that spot, I'm a bit of a brand snob (I like playing same irons throughout the set, something visually for me). That's where I'm looking for that extra help that the 223's offer in the stronger lofts to hep me get that ball along, but without sacrificing the entire set makeup... But the ZX7's are fantastic irons no doubt. I don't even -mind the slightly square thicker-ish top line on them as it just inspires confidence behind the ball. I just wish (for me) that I got along with the longer irons a bit better on my off days.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Flush-It-Fore said:

I currently play a set of Srixon ZX7 irons (4-PW)... I must admit, I definitely love these clubs... well most of them. It's really nice that when you're playing well and throwing darts, others ask you "what the hell kind of irons are those?"... There's just something special about playing well with a relatively unknown brand... That being said, the carry distance of my irons really start to bunch up around the 4/5 and maybe even 6 mark. While I could just sub-in the ZX5 irons in that spot, I'm a bit of a brand snob (I like playing same irons throughout the set, something visually for me). That's where I'm looking for that extra help that the 223's offer in the stronger lofts to hep me get that ball along, but without sacrificing the entire set makeup... But the ZX7's are fantastic irons no doubt. I don't even -mind the slightly square thicker-ish top line on them as it just inspires confidence behind the ball. I just wish (for me) that I got along with the longer irons a bit better on my off days.

You make a good point. I play an older set of Srixon irons and have the same issue. I just don't have the swing speed or consistency to get the most out of my 5 iron, to the point where I'm actually considering a 5 hybrid. Perhaps the 223s will be better in that regard? 

I don't know your swing speed or consistency to comment on that, but you might share the same problem as me and many others. That is when my game is ON, I have no/little problem playing my 4/5 irons and hitting them well. The problem is on those OFF days when the swing isn't 110% and therefore having little confidence in the club. I think potentially that is where the 223's will shine, in that they'll 'help' you out a bit more on the less lofted end of the bag, all while looking exactly the same as the other clubs and not having to change looks from the back/top in having to do so. That is a big selling feature to me is having the irons flow and mesh nicely together. Nothing wrong with having a Frankenstein of a bag (if you hit it well = you hit it well), but being slightly OCD and visually I can't stomach that for my bag. 

22 hours ago, foreplease said:

Two Things: 1. The clubs are 100% JUST FINE. 2. The "Mizuno Pro"  and meaningless "22x" designations are just terrible, even from just a visual standpoint - just look at that 223 - so much going on there and none of which are commensurate. Just so random in stamping/branding. Nothing works except for the running bird which is what they were supposedly going for at the launch of the MP-20 line (ala Nike Swoosh)... and which was working. Now, it's just one of a bunch of stuff on an otherwise nice and supposed-to-be-clean players club. Ugg, just awful.

Mark my words, next launch this will be dumped as a "one off" salute to the past or something marketing-y. Looking at them, they're similar to Callaway drivers - they're all over the place visually. You've the "Callaway" script, then the chevron someplace, then some modern iteration of "Epic" or "Rogue" or "Dude Awesome" or something, along with some stripes and cockeyed graphics. There's no flow, no cohesion, no.... class. Now admittedly, that's an extreme take from an unrelated club, but it does help illustrate how these soulless 221, 223, 225, 22whatever clubs, while still Mizuno and probably most likely will feel and perform just as well as any prior branded MP, are just not MP enough with this shift in branding - which matters! We're not pros who don't give a rat's a** what's on the back because we're making bank simply by making the cut. We're hobbyists and enthusiasts - all this stuff matters. So there's a disconnect. It looks lazy, un-thought-out, or really probably something birthed from a committee having monthly meetings over Zoom.

This design is an homage to the Japanese clubs/market, and Mizuno is a Japanese company.  You can always buy something else.

Really surprised people care this much about a "brand".  Brainwashed by marketing and logos much?  Or is this all about the instagram points, and how your clubs look in the bag?

Edited by Puttersaurus Rex
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Have Fun - Ready Golf - Repair Divots/Marks - FORE

11 hours ago, Puttersaurus Rex said:

This design is an homage to the Japanese clubs/market, and Mizuno is a Japanese company.  You can always buy something else.

Really surprised people care this much about a "brand".  Brainwashed by marketing and logos much?  Or is this all about the instagram points, and how your clubs look in the bag?

You don’t have to be brainwashed to care about the aesthetics of clubs and about what iconic brands do with their products. 

This must be your first day on golfwrx if you are surprised people care about these things

But you assume it’s all out of vanity or brainwashing.

thanks for that input

• Like 1

10 hours ago, toddyc said:

You don’t have to be brainwashed to care about the aesthetics of clubs and about what iconic brands do with their products. 

This must be your first day on golfwrx if you are surprised people care about these things

But you assume it’s all out of vanity or brainwashing.

thanks for that input

I agree that people can care about aesthetics without being “brainwashed”.  

This is not my first rodeo here, and people need to chill when manufacturers release a product that has a color or logo placement they do not like.  Does that script Mizuno logo raise or lower scores?  Or is it about “class”, as the person mentioned that I quoted?

Every release has multiple people complaining about looks of the club (driver, iron, putter, even shafts).  The complaints/rants about “a logo working” add nothing of value to the discussions. 

Maybe we just appreciate what is available, or create something else that makes us happy?  

• Like 1

Gentlemen... at the end of the day someone's trash is another's treasure... I'm sure that as many people find these or other clubs beautiful (I definitely like the style of these), others will equally find them ugly... there's no problem with either of those opinions... Do I wish that the branding on the back was a little more minimal, probably yes, but will that stop me from purchasing a still beautiful iron from a brand that I love, probably not. Especially if the performance numbers support it.... Either was in this case, Mizuno isn't forcing you to buy the irons. If you don't like them then move on/ go to JPX, or wait years for new ones... My thoughts.... Great job Mizuno, I can't wait to hit these.... spread the love on this thread or move on to another one for the haters...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Puttersaurus Rex said:

I agree that people can care about aesthetics without being “brainwashed”.  

This is not my first rodeo here, and people need to chill when manufacturers release a product that has a color or logo placement they do not like.  Does that script Mizuno logo raise or lower scores?  Or is it about “class”, as the person mentioned that I quoted?

Every release has multiple people complaining about looks of the club (driver, iron, putter, even shafts).  The complaints/rants about “a logo working” add nothing of value to the discussions. 

Maybe we just appreciate what is available, or create something else that makes us happy?  

Every release has people up in arms about others complaining about it too.

Which is worse since at least the complainers are talking about their opinion of the clubs and not just criticizing other forum posters

personally I think the 223 look excellent and I may buy unless they pull a Ping and make them $250 a club. I highly doubt mizuno does that though

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MMB1500 said:

You mean these? 😬

Screenshot_20211009-190922_Chrome.jpg.a3b70bd53a9749f520e5b88075f8c40e.jpg

"Hmmmmm, how can we make sure people know these gold plated irons are a premium item?"

"Yes of course! Write forged on them!"

• Haha 3

0# Mizuno M-craft I KBS one step

1# Mizuno STG Ventus black 6TX

2# Mizuno MP20 HMB Ventus black 10TX

3-5# Mizuno MP20 HMB KBS $ taper 130x hardstepped

6-9# Mizuno MP20 MB KBS $ taper 130x

10-13# Mizuno T22 KBS $ taper 130x softstepped

Bridgestone tour b x

The grip master roo midsize/paddle

5 hours ago, MMB1500 said:

You mean these? 😬

That's not too busy, is it? And only what, $550/club? depending on the series. Honma is probably going to be accentuating Beres since the Justin Rose Era failed to take off. The TR Series was a good start...

But Mizuno doesn't do gold .. Yet I wonder how a golden Running Bird would look with Mizuno Pro in gold lettering and the 221 in a sparkling gold.

Edited by SwingMan

• Honma TR21 Fwy 3, 5 

17 hours ago, toddyc said:

Every release has people up in arms about others complaining about it too.

Which is worse since at least the complainers are talking about their opinion of the clubs and not just criticizing other forum posters

personally I think the 223 look excellent and I may buy unless they pull a Ping and make them $250 a club. I highly doubt mizuno does that though

The negativity adds nothing of value to the pre-release threads, and is just forum sliding (talking about Beres irons now).  Someone could start a separate thread in equipment though.  Maybe call it, "Rate the Mizuno releases"?

Your comment to me is the same behavior that you are calling me out for (?).

I like the 223 design, and also the script logo that was used on the Mizuno MS-3 blades.  Cheers!

34 minutes ago, Puttersaurus Rex said:

The negativity adds nothing of value to the pre-release threads, and is just forum sliding (talking about Beres irons now).  Someone could start a separate thread in equipment though.  Maybe call it, "Rate the Mizuno releases"?

Your comment to me is the same behavior that you are calling me out for (?).

I like the 223 design, and also the script logo that was used on the Mizuno MS-3 blades.  Cheers!

nothing wrong with criticism of the club. That’s what these threads are for, people’s opinions and aesthetics is a part of that. For what’s it’s worth, the looks of the club is just ok to me, it’s the sole that really I don’t like from the pictures. Im in the market for new irons so was keeping an eye on this release

17 hours ago, MMB1500 said:

You mean these? 😬

I don’t like the font they used for ‘FORGED’. The way it appears to be slightly slanted to the right just really bothers me for some reason. If it were just normal straight up and down letters it would look so much cleaner. Def won’t be getting these. 

Edited by TiScape
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Redjeep83 said:

nothing wrong with criticism of the club. That’s what these threads are for, people’s opinions and aesthetics is a part of that. For what’s it’s worth, the looks of the club is just ok to me, it’s the sole that really I don’t like from the pictures. Im in the market for new irons so was keeping an eye on this release

I look at the sole but also look at how any OEM grinds the trailing edge which effectively narrows the sole.

• Honma TR21 Fwy 3, 5 

I think we should wait until real testing by us mortals occurs before we suggest the 4/5 irons of the 223 model have become unicorn GI irons in a players iron package. I’d be very surprised if they’ve cracked that want/need. Nice to dream though. 

I hate that I have to wait until feb ‘22 plus to wait though… 

On my anticipated 223's, I think I'm going to Blue paintfill the Running Bird and maybe Silver or White paintfill the Mizuno Pro.  I having nothing against the Mizuno Pro script, just want to jazz up my sticks.

I'm also a fan of full-on-blindingly-shiny Chrome like my MP-4 which I prefer over the satin / brushed chrome of the MP18 / 20 / 221 MB's.

Edited by ARL67

WITB: Sun Mountain 5.5LS
Titleist TSi2 11* with Ventus Red Velocore 6
Titleist TSi2 15* fairway with Evenflow White 65

Titleist TSi2 21* and 24* hybrid with Evenflow White 90
Titleist T200 5-GW with Steelfiber i95cw
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54* & 58* with Steelfiber i110cw
Seemore Platinum M7 Tour with SS Flatso 3.0
Set #2: MP-18 MMC 5-PW with Steelfiber i95cw

I think Mizuno needs to put a soft pause on this release.  Too many consumers don't like the script written on the back.  It looks too busy.  I get what Mizuno's "vision" is on the release of these.  "Going back to yesteryears...."  We get it.  Unfortunately they need to listen to the consumer.  I'm not going to pay someone extra to color in the script.   I'll test the clubs to compare and see what the ball does compared my Mizzy's now.  Other than that, too many options especially if these aren't releasing until January.   End of discussion.

Edited by mtnbiker5
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, mtnbiker5 said:

I think Mizuno needs to put a soft pause on this release.  Too many consumers don't like the script written on the back.  It looks too busy.  I get what Mizuno's "vision" is on the release of these.  "Going back to yesteryears...."  We get it.  Unfortunately they need to listen to the consumer.  I'm not going to pay someone extra to color in the script.   I'll test the clubs to compare and see what the ball does compared my Mizzy's now.  Other than that, too many options especially if these aren't releasing until January.   End of discussion.

No way..  script hurt consumers can go ahead and get out of line, shorten up my lead time a bit to get a set. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2