Mizuno MP-22

joeymack14

Ping clubs are meant to be ugly, it's part of the brand.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

0# Mizuno M-craft I KBS one step

1# Mizuno STG Ventus black 6TX

2# Mizuno MP20 HMB Ventus black 10TX

3-5# Mizuno MP20 HMB KBS $ taper 130x hardstepped

6-9# Mizuno MP20 MB KBS $ taper 130x

10-13# Mizuno T22 KBS $ taper 130x softstepped

Bridgestone tour b x

The grip master roo midsize/paddle

11 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Mizuno Pro *is* the classic look.   🙂

image.png.72a7c3c17a4b4b7aefff3c41c0a7f1ef.png  image.png.e9e90c089ffbd0a979a0c70311a23b7a.png  image.png.6aa1faabefdeeea43c75079debc2fc04.png

My brother from another mother...I sure wish I could get my old avatar back...I may have to make a knock off but back to the subject...Time for some glasses bro, my first pict has the Mizuno Pro script on it😜

I was talking about classic as in elegant. I have some MP14's so I know they have script on them, I wasn't a fan of the Mizuno M on them but I played them because you know I like me some blade irons. The MP33's are clean.

I still stand by my stance that the script placed at the rear along with model # on the hosel with the running bird on the muscle looks way better. 😎

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Str8Putt said:

My brother from another mother...I sure wish I could get my old avatar back...I may have to make a knock off but back to the subject...Time for some glasses bro, my first pict has the Mizuno Pro script on it😜

I was talking about classic as in elegant. I have some MP14's so I know they have script on them, I wasn't a fan of the Mizuno M on them but I played them because you know I like me some blade irons. The MP33's are clean.

I still stand by my stance that the script placed at the rear along with model # on the hosel with the running bird on the muscle looks way better. 😎

You have to remember, amigo, I'm old.  When folks start talking classic, I go back to the old stuff.  LOL

I also own a set of those MS-11s with the Mizuno Pro on the back, which may influence my thinking a bit.  😉

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Original One 11.5* (tuned down), NV75 X -or- SpeedZone 10.5*, Aldila ProtoPype 80S, <44" TBD

3w: King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h or 3h, NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional, TaylorMade TP5, Chrome Soft custom TruVis

GripMaster Roo or Kidd leather grips

34 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

You have to remember, amigo, I'm old.  When folks start talking classic, I go back to the old stuff.  LOL

I also own a set of those MS-11s with the Mizuno Pro on the back, which may influence my thinking a bit.  😉

Well you are the original blade hoe, I'm sure you can just stroll over to the storage area to pull clubs to look at and reminisce 😎 

I still plan to pick up the 221's but just think they could have done a better design job. Now watch the next release they'll do like my 1st pict and I'll be forced to buy them and hand the 221's to my son. 😂

I wish Mizuno would offer the True Temper Elevate shafts with the VSS, even if it was an upcharge

Edited by Str8Putt
  • Haha 1

There will have to be one hell of a technological performance leap to get all the way across that wide sole.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

0# Mizuno M-craft I KBS one step

1# Mizuno STG Ventus black 6TX

2# Mizuno MP20 HMB Ventus black 10TX

3-5# Mizuno MP20 HMB KBS $ taper 130x hardstepped

6-9# Mizuno MP20 MB KBS $ taper 130x

10-13# Mizuno T22 KBS $ taper 130x softstepped

Bridgestone tour b x

The grip master roo midsize/paddle

8 hours ago, Trippels said:

There will have to be one hell of a technological performance leap to get all the way across that wide sole.

I do have a question for members who are disturbed by a wider sole than anticipated. Mizuno, in the past, doesn't have a lot of bounce on their irons - they have not published bounce specs lately. When I look at a sole, before I criticize, I look at the bounce, any beveling of the leading edge and trailing edge relief. If you have little bounce, you generally need to find it elsewhere. A wider sole, in effect, gives you "effective bounce" and the leading edge and trailing edge relief lessens the "real" width of the sole. So the effective width may be less than you see and offer you more playability.

I look at how the irons plays and what the designer is attempting to do.

Edited by SwingMan
  • Like 1

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Observer of Peeps, Wannabe Novelist

• Ping G425 Max 9/TPT Golf 19Hi Driver
  • Honma TR21 Fwy 3, 5 
  •  Ping G425 20.5 Hy/TPT Golf 
  • Honma TW-X 5-PW/Mitsu MMT 85g 
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59/Nippon 105 
  • Artisan 0521 or 0321 Putter

12 hours ago, SwingMan said:

I do have a question for members who are disturbed by a wider sole than anticipated. Mizuno, in the past, doesn't have a lot of bounce on their irons - they have not published bounce specs lately. When I look at a sole, before I criticize, I look at the bounce, any beveling of the leading edge and trailing edge relief. If you have little bounce, you generally need to find it elsewhere. A wider sole, in effect, gives you "effective bounce" and the leading edge and trailing edge relief lessens the "real" width of the sole. So the effective width may be less than you see and offer you more playability.

You are 100% correct. BUT looks mean alot to people, like it or not, and they look like chunky GI irons. Is there a REASON they look that way, what is the reason, and if there is, does A) it actually work, and B) is the benefit actually worth something tangible. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

You are 100% correct. BUT looks mean alot to people, like it or not, and they look like chunky GI irons. Is there a REASON they look that way, what is the reason, and if there is, does A) it actually work, and B) is the benefit actually worth something tangible. 

Irons with thin soles and no bounce is no way to go through life. 😄

I don't know why they go less bounce but make it up with thicker soles with grinding to make effective bounce.🤔

It's a good question for Voshall at the next Mizuno Live.

• Honma TR21 Fwy 3, 5 

On 10/20/2021 at 9:10 PM, Trippels said:

I wish they'd come out and say a blade is a blade, there's not much more to do, it's perfect now.

Stamp the running bird on the back, no text anywhere, keep making the same club 'till the end of days.

Hi....been following this thread since the Open, you guys are.....enthusiasts!

Just my tuppence worth, I've played MP5 and MP18 blades over the last 5yrs or so, I actually think there was a real step change in the quality of the forging (I think Mizuno did talk about it at the time) between MP5 and MP18. My MP5 are almost a wet weather club for me now, they're pretty chunky (the 9i and PW are huge) and I don't mind getting them cut up in bad weather. The MP18 I find are much softer, and in firm conditions in Scotland I can be much more aggressive with the strike.....they're fun in a way I've never found the MP5 to be.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SwingMan said:

Irons with thin soles and no bounce is no way to go through life. 😄

I don't know why they go less bounce but make it up with thicker soles with grinding to make effective bounce.🤔

It's a good question for Voshall at the next Mizuno Live.

It is if your a shallow player and play firm conditions. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, acro said:

Screenshot from Japanese review. They definitely look like a wider sole than the mmc and I honestly think they have a wider sole than 921F.

CB6D3015-87E1-405E-8D7F-58C36018DA20.jpeg

It’s been discussed here that there is a lot of relief on the back of the sole. So while they look wide, they will play thinner. Closer to the new T100s. There is photographic evidence of this a page or two back. 

1 hour ago, Red4282 said:

It is if your a shallow player and play firm conditions. 

I have, rather had, a more shallow swing until recently and played on soil that is clay - very firm/hard conditions. The sole on the HMBs did not bother me. They are not that wide and being slightly wide with less bounce will help the glide of the irons so you don't lose as much - but I also thought the sole could be more forgiving. So I would like more bounce, less width. But instead, I am working to decrease my fatting tendencies.

In softer conditions, when I was a recovering fat hitter, the JPX919 did not do well with turf interaction for me. Not enough bounce.

• Honma TR21 Fwy 3, 5 

44 minutes ago, SwingMan said:

I have, rather had, a more shallow swing until recently and played on soil that is clay - very firm/hard conditions. The sole on the HMBs did not bother me. They are not that wide and being slightly wide with less bounce will help the glide of the irons so you don't lose as much - but I also thought the sole could be more forgiving. So I would like more bounce, less width. But instead, I am working to decrease my fatting tendencies.

In softer conditions, when I was a recovering fat hitter, the JPX919 did not do well with turf interaction for me. Not enough bounce.

Its not just turf interaction that matters with bounce. It effectively moves where you strike the ball. Shallow swingers strike the ball lower on the face. Too much bounce it becomes nothing but thin jobs all the time.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, TiScape said:

It’s been discussed here that there is a lot of relief on the back of the sole. So while they look wide, they will play thinner. Closer to the new T100s. There is photographic evidence of this a page or two back. 

I agree, its like an optical illusion. Id like to know why they chose to design it that way through because its rather unappealing

17 hours ago, SwingMan said:

Right. But.  It all depends on what turf you play off of.  Most mizuno players are wanting something to cut.  Not bounce.  And if you’re in the clay belt of the south , you need that vs bounce.   Not to mention getting through Bermuda rough.    

for a wet sand based course with whispy  rough …. Sure. Give me something that floats.  But where I’m at wide isn’t your friend unless you’re just that steep.   The designer can only be playing fence rider with a wider sole Trying to please everyone. And in turn pleasing nobody completely 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 2

Epic Speed triple diamond 8.7 TB70 TX

TM 300 mini 13.5 Tensei CK blue 80TX 

TM sim max 18 Aldila rogue proto 85TX 

callaway xforged UT 21* ventus blue 9x 

Titleist T100 4-pw  MMT 125 TX 

Edel  SMS 54 58 MMT 125 TX 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

5 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Right. But.  It all depends on what turf you play off of.  Most mizuno players are wanting something to cut.  Not bounce.  And if you’re in the clay belt of the south , you need that vs bounce.   Not to mention getting through Bermuda rough.    

for a wet sand based course with whispy  rough …. Sure. Give me something that floats.  But where I’m at wide isn’t your friend unless you’re just that steep.   The designer can only be playing fence rider with a wider sole Trying to please everyone. And in turn pleasing nobody completely 

But that's what happens with mass produced clubs - you can't please all the people all the time.

• Thanks 1

• Honma TR21 Fwy 3, 5 

40 minutes ago, SwingMan said:

But that's what happens with mass produced clubs - you can't please all the people all the time.

Sure. But it doesn’t make much sense to make a niche style club into just another run of the mill middle of the road club.  

At any rate. I don’t know why I looked in here. Mizuno hasn’t made a club ive liked since the great mp68.  Guess I was hoping for a return to glory. 

Epic Speed triple diamond 8.7 TB70 TX

TM 300 mini 13.5 Tensei CK blue 80TX 

TM sim max 18 Aldila rogue proto 85TX 

callaway xforged UT 21* ventus blue 9x 

Titleist T100 4-pw  MMT 125 TX 

Edel  SMS 54 58 MMT 125 TX 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

10 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Sure. But it doesn’t make much sense to make a niche style club into just another run of the mill middle of the road club.  

At any rate. I don’t know why I looked in here. Mizuno hasn’t made a club ive liked since the great mp68.  Guess I was hoping for a return to glory. 

Glory is relative.

And Mizuno USA is also a captive of HQ Japan.

• Honma TR21 Fwy 3, 5 

Found this:

"Mizuno announced in September that the much-anticipated release of its Mizuno Pro irons had been held back until early 2022 – to allow shaft and grip stock to be allocated to existing orders."

on the page here:

https://mizunogolf.com/us/blog/custom-fit-timelines-emea-update/

I know September is like, a few weeks back now, but this kinda adds light to the 'when do I get to order them' question.

Edited by PlayInTheRain
Additional Information

11 hours ago, Whatnogarnish said:

If you look at the 4iron specs out there for the 223, it has the largest area cutout behind the face, so I would think that contributes to the fatter lookin 4 iron. In the pic below, you can see 5/6 are also a bit fatty compared to others, they too have a decent cutout. 

image.jpeg.d5f340af4e3815facaf3a58766200847.jpeg

It's harder to see on the 5, but focus on the 6 iron and how the back of the sole is chamfered off. If the back of the 6 iron was much more vertical where that chamfer takes place I think the sole of the club would look relatively thin. 

Man the script placement is terrible. Shouldnt even exist... has this been said? Lol all jk aside... the 223 looks very jpx line-ish. Also.... why has hmb in mp lineup? Why not just 221 223... jpx has hot metal and hot metal pro and the mid cap one then the blade. These companies making too many clubs. In 5 years there will be no new exciting designs left for any clubs because 5 different verisons of irons and drivers come out every single year.

1 hour ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

Man the script placement is terrible. Shouldnt even exist... has this been said? Lol all jk aside... the 223 looks very jpx line-ish. Also.... why has hmb in mp lineup? Why not just 221 223... jpx has hot metal and hot metal pro and the mid cap one then the blade. These companies making too many clubs. In 5 years there will be no new exciting designs left for any clubs because 5 different verisons of irons and drivers come out every single year.

I’m wondering myself as a JPX 921 HM Pro player (go back and forth between T100s). on the benefits and gains I would see in the upcoming HMB. Read somewhere buried on these threads (not sure if true or not) the upcoming Mizuno Pro HMB will have stronger lofts vs the MP HMB (e.g. 7iron will be 30 degrees vs. 32 degrees). Other than updated looks and feel and hollow forged construction, will be curious to see how they differentiate from the JPX 921 HM Pros.