Mizuno MP-22

joeymack14

1 hour ago, HarborMike said:

I’m wondering myself as a JPX 921 HM Pro player (go back and forth between T100s). on the benefits and gains I would see in the upcoming HMB. Read somewhere buried on these threads (not sure if true or not) the upcoming Mizuno Pro HMB will have stronger lofts vs the MP HMB (e.g. 7iron will be 30 degrees vs. 32 degrees). Other than updated looks and feel and hollow forged construction, will be curious to see how they differentiate from the JPX 921 HM Pros.

They are probably very similar... maybe just feel change. Could be better could be worse. I thought the jpx 19 hm pro felt outstanding... i never hit the 21s but im sure they are great too. My brother has the prior hmb and they feel pretty good i just like smaller irons.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

Man the script placement is terrible. Shouldnt even exist... has this been said? Lol all jk aside... the 223 looks very jpx line-ish. Also.... why has hmb in mp lineup? Why not just 221 223... jpx has hot metal and hot metal pro and the mid cap one then the blade. These companies making too many clubs. In 5 years there will be no new exciting designs left for any clubs because 5 different verisons of irons and drivers come out every single year.

I agree too man different clubs and some seem to overlap 

• Like 1

On 10/20/2021 at 8:05 PM, Str8Putt said:

I did these two MP221 real quick and IMO both look much nicer

image.png.fc317e3b9720e8f71d32fb6bcdc698a7.png

That beautiful bit of fiction above is the only MB that gives Titleist 620 a run for its money on looks. 

I’d buy those just to say I had them. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 with Speeder NX Blue

Titleist TSi1 7 wood with Tensei Blue

Taylormade P790 UDI 2 iron

New Level 902PD irons with SF i95R

Titleist SM7 50° and 60°, Cleveland RDX 56°

Odyssey OG1

Maxfli Tour ball

4 hours ago, fixurpitch said:
On 10/20/2021 at 8:05 PM, Str8Putt said:

I did these two MP221 real quick and IMO both look much nicer

image.png.fc317e3b9720e8f71d32fb6bcdc698a7.png

That beautiful bit of fiction above is the only MB that gives Titleist 620 a run for its money on looks. 

I’d buy those just to say I had them. 

620's are beautiful, like a piece of art. Came close to buying a set.

I plan to buy the 221's but I just know 2yrs from now Mizuno is going to make their irons like one of those photoshops and get more $$ from me.lol

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 8:36 PM, bladehunter said:

Sure. But it doesn’t make much sense to make a niche style club into just another run of the mill middle of the road club.  

At any rate. I don’t know why I looked in here. Mizuno hasn’t made a club ive liked since the great mp68.  Guess I was hoping for a return to glory. 

I agree, hasn’t been an mp iron since the 68 which I liked from the mp line. The jpx tour 900 was the only other iron I thought was up there with the mizuno name 

1 hour ago, Redjeep83 said:

I agree, hasn’t been an mp iron since the 68 which I liked from the mp line. The jpx tour 900 was the only other iron I thought was up there with the mizuno name 

It’s not that I don’t want them to produce irons for the masses.  Just make a real blade too.     Mp5 and 4 I could also live with. But the mp20 just disappointed me to no end.  And I’m not sure why. It was just meh all over. 

just reboot the mp14 33 or 68 and put whatever badge on it you want.  

• Like 3

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I disagree.  I went from the MP68 to the MP20 and couldn't be happier.  They are a bit more forgiving, feel softer, and look terrific at address.  Different strokes.  

• Like 1

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

Indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

29 minutes ago, MattC555 said:

I disagree.  I went from the MP68 to the MP20 and couldn't be happier.  They are a bit more forgiving, feel softer, and look terrific at address.  Different strokes.  

there was a lot of competition for the mp20 that had much better lines especially scoring clubs. You had the ping blueprint, p730/p7tw, cally 18 apex mb and 620 mb on the market at the same time and all had better aesthetics. Mizuno had their traditional soft feel and that’s about it.

Edited by Redjeep83

2 hours ago, bladehunter said:

It’s not that I don’t want them to produce irons for the masses.  Just make a real blade too.     Mp5 and 4 I could also live with. But the mp20 just disappointed me to no end.  And I’m not sure why. It was just meh all over. 

just reboot the mp14 33 or 68 and put whatever badge on it you want.  

How is the 20 not a real blade but 68 is? Just curious, I own both and playing the 68 now. To me the 68's look larger and the 8, 9-pw are shovels compared to the 20. I kinda crapped on the 20 at first too, but as I played them more, I really enjoyed them. Only playing the 68s because I like change one and a while.

• Like 1

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

28 minutes ago, lefty1978 said:

How is the 20 not a real blade but 68 is? Just curious, I own both and playing the 68 now. To me the 68's look larger and the 8, 9-pw are shovels compared to the 20. I kinda crapped on the 20 at first too, but as I played them more, I really enjoyed them. Only playing the 68s because I like change one and a while.

Right.  I prefer the short irons to look like short irons. Not lofted 6 irons.  That’s how I describe the mp20 short irons.  They are weird looking  to me . 

the 20 just has too much beef down low. And a sole that to me plays wider than my current t100 iron.  And I’ve never been Gaga over this set either.  

its hard to put my finger on it. But I hated every swing with the 20. For some reason.  I thought the mmc had more feel ( owned them too). The mp20 just feels odd.  Like it has no true sweet spot.  I suspect it’s the weighting.  Just dull all the way across the face. I prefer the mishit feedback.

anyway. Sometimes you just get a set and it’s a letdown form day one for whatever reason. That was the mp20 for me. Was glad to sell them before the chrome got worse and I lost more money.  

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

17 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Right.  I prefer the short irons to look like short irons. Not lofted 6 irons.  That’s how I describe the mp20 short irons.  They are weird looking  to me . 

the 20 just has too much beef down low. And a sole that to me plays wider than my current t100 iron.  And I’ve never been Gaga over this set either.  

its hard to put my finger on it. But I hated every swing with the 20. For some reason.  I thought the mmc had more feel ( owned them too). The mp20 just feels odd.  Like it has no true sweet spot.  I suspect it’s the weighting.  Just dull all the way across the face. I prefer the mishit feedback.

anyway. Sometimes you just get a set and it’s a letdown form day one for whatever reason. That was the mp20 for me. Was glad to sell them before the chrome got worse and I lost more money.  

The head might be too light. 

Wk

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 Diamana White Stiff

TM Stealth2 Plus 3Wood Ventis Black Velicore S

Titleist T200U 3 and 4 iron Mitsubishi Tensei Whte 8S 

Titleist T100 5-PW AMTWhite S

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58  AMT White

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash

3 hours ago, Redjeep83 said:

there was a lot of competition for the mp20 that had much better lines especially scoring clubs. You had the ping blueprint, p730/p7tw, cally 18 apex mb and 620 mb on the market at the same time and all had better aesthetics. Mizuno had their traditional soft feel and that’s about it.

This is the perfect "to each his own" statement, because when I got fit this year I tried the ping, TM (p730 they didnt have the p7tw), Callaway, and the Titleist and I MUCH preferred the look and feel of the MP20s. The others were not bad by any stretch callaway being my second favorite, but the MP20s are what I ordered. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, youngwaldo said:

The head might be too light. 

Wk

Yep.  Absolutely possible. I hadn’t even thought about that.  In fact that’s probably it. Now I’d love to know.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 hours ago, Redjeep83 said:

Maybe for your eye.  I tried all of those options and preferred the look and feel of the Mizuno's.  How I hit them, and how they felt played a strong role, but the MP20 looks were a home run overall for me.  They felt very different compared to the MP68s.  Some will prefer the MP68 look/feel, some will prefer the MP20.  Or 620s or....it's all just personal preference.  I've got a season under my belt with the MP20's and couldn't be happier.  From the looks of the MP221s, I'd be happy there too.  The script doesn't bother me.  The soles are a bit concerning though.  They do look large in pictures.  Regardless, I'm excited to try the MP223/MP225 3/4 irons.  I swap between my MP20 4 iron and a 910H 4 hybrid depending on the wind.  I wouldn't mind finding a happy medium.   

• Like 1

TSR3 9° Ventus Black TR 6X - Stealth+ 3W Ventus Blue 6TX - Stealth+ 5W Ventus Black TR 8X - Mizuno 225 4i / MP 20 5-PW Proj X IO 6.0 - Titleist SM9 S200 50.12F 55.11D 60.04T - Rossie White Hot (Circa ~2002...I forget)

13 minutes ago, MattC555 said:

Maybe for your eye.  I tried all of those options and preferred the look and feel of the Mizuno's.  How I hit them, and how they felt played a strong role, but the MP20 looks were a home run overall for me.  They felt very different compared to the MP68s.  Some will prefer the MP68 look/feel, some will prefer the MP20.  Or 620s or....it's all just personal preference.  I've got a season under my belt with the MP20's and couldn't be happier.  From the looks of the MP221s, I'd be happy there too.  The script doesn't bother me.  The soles are a bit concerning though.  They do look large in pictures.  Regardless, I'm excited to try the MP223/MP225 3/4 irons.  I swap between my MP20 4 iron and a 910H 4 hybrid depending on the wind.  I wouldn't mind finding a happy medium.   

Yep, all in the eye of the beholder. The non staff guys mostly playing jpx tour line or older mp blades though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Redjeep83 said:

Yep, all in the eye of the beholder. The non staff guys mostly playing jpx tour line or older mp blades though.

Good enough for Keith Mitchell, good enough for me. 

2 minutes ago, Redjeep83 said:

hence I said non staff guys. They only have like 3-4 on staff and they are pretty much obligated to play latest 

I wasn't arguing your statement, although it seems anecdotal at best.  My point was that if they are good enough for Keith to use on tour, they are more than good enough for me.  Most tour guys aren't using blades anymore anyways.   

1 minute ago, MattC555 said:

I wasn't arguing your statement, although it seems anecdotal at best.  My point was that if they are good enough for Keith to use on tour, they are more than good enough for me.  Most tour guys aren't using blades anymore anyways.   

Of course they are good enough to play. I like finding the standouts, I’m not on contract. 

you want to find the standouts. Look what non contract guys are playing. I’ve seen jpx tour line, older mp blades, cally 18 apex mb, 730’s, p7tw and 620 mb in bags. 

Justin rose did put the new 221 in the bag for a whole week, lol

6 hours ago, Redjeep83 said:

Of course they are good enough to play. I like finding the standouts, I’m not on contract. 

you want to find the standouts. Look what non contract guys are playing. I’ve seen jpx tour line, older mp blades, cally 18 apex mb, 730’s, p7tw and 620 mb in bags. 

Justin rose did put the new 221 in the bag for a whole week, lol

which older MP blades? Other than MP5

11 hours ago, river11 said:

Do you guys think used MP 20s will get cheaper on ebay/2ndswing after the 221s come out?

I assume they will as people upgrade.  Clubs are in short supply though.

Does anyone know the club head lengths of the new irons? Where could I get that info? Would Mizuno tell us? I'm considering ordering a set from Japan, but I'd like to know the details first.

See left panel for the MP-20 line.

Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 9.46.12 AM.png

DRIVER: Taylormade SIM 2 6* - Project X S Black XS; 3W: Titleist TSi2 14*; IRONS: Mizuno Pro 225 GW-4i ProjectX 6.5, Mizuno MP-20 HMB 2i; WEDGES (52,56,60): Mizuno T20; PUTTER: Mizuno M-Craft VI 35"

I am going to submit my order (223) in a few weeks, along with the driver with a sales rep when he stops by the shop.  

Wk

Titleist TSR3 Diamana White Stiff

TM Stealth2 Plus 3Wood Ventis Black Velicore S

Titleist T200U 3 and 4 iron Mitsubishi Tensei Whte 8S 

Titleist T100 5-PW AMTWhite S

Vokey SM10 50, 54, 58  AMT White

Scotty Tour Rat

PROV1 Left Dash

5 hours ago, Kmagnuss said:

They've already come down about $150 since 5 months ago on ebay.

I don't think they'll come down much more.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

10 hours ago, Kmagnuss said:

They've already come down about $150 since 5 months ago on ebay.

4 hours ago, bobfoster said:

I don't think they'll come down much more.

Thank you guys for your insight. I'm trying to weigh 800ish bucks for good MP20s or just get a brand new set of irons for the first time. Gotta meditate on how I feel about the script