Mizuno MP-22

joeymack14

7 hours ago, Poolparty said:

You guys have any estimates when we'll see a price drop on the 20s?

I would think by middle of June.

• Like 3

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, mtnbiker5 said:

MP 22 will be best club they’ve ever made.   MP20 very good but they gotta blow doors off on MP 22 to sell.  Titleist will also be releasing their new irons same timeframe.    Slugfest.  Love it

MP-20 MMCs are almost perfect.  

• Like 1
Ping G425 LST w Accra TZ6CB      M5 Rocket 14* Accra RPG 472    CBX119 18* EvenFlow Black 
Mizuno MP20 MMC w KBS $Taper     Mizuno T22  50, 54, 60 - DG TI S400     LAB Mezz1 Max    OldSkool Ping L8
#TeamJetSpeed - Dec 2013

1 hour ago, Oaks said:

MP-20 MMCs are almost perfect.  

I was so excited to get these last year as I had been playing with the MP-15's for a few years. Demo'd them and they felt great, didn't pay much attention. Then after a couple rounds, the address position did't look right to me, and I did some more digging and the lofts are jacked up on the 20's by almost 2 degrees. Which was funny because when I had the 20's, when I pulled the 6 I would think, "that looks like my old 5". I couldn't deal with it as it kept me awake at nights. I suspect they strengthened the lofts to mitigate the extra weight in the cavity to keep the launch down. Also when I connected on some, they were going further than I was used to. I'm sure I'll get flamed but they weren't for me.

15 hours ago, msd71 said:

I know this is really dumb but I hope they go back to black paint for the numbers.  Hate the white numbers. 

They went to black paint in the numbers on the JPX 921’s when their market research indicated this is what people wanted so I’d assume Mizuno will stay with black for the MP 22 line. 

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Ping PLD Ally Blue 4

Titleist Pro V1x

30 minutes ago, noodle3872 said:

They went to black paint in the numbers on the JPX 921’s when their market research indicated this is what people wanted so I’d assume Mizuno will stay with black for the MP 22 line. 

This would be the biggest change needed from the last version haha... cant deal with the white. My MP5's thankfully still have black paintfill

Srixon ZX5 LS Driver, Project X Hzrdus Black, 70g 6.5

Cobra Fly Z Fairway, UST Elements Fire, 7F5 

Cobra Fly Z Hybrid, Aldila Tour Blue ATX85H 2.3-X

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW, True Temper X100

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Biomech Acculock Ace / Ping B90 Broomstick

On 3/10/2021 at 9:08 PM, The Mad Bomber said:

I’m still rocking MP5’s. Mizuno makes some damn amazing clubs...

I just picked up a set of mp5s like new condtion on cally pre owned.. they were perfect on arrival. I had success in one round so far. Can i have your thought on them just to compare mines?

I own set of MP20 MMC, MP20 HMB, and owned jpx 921 forged.  My buddies play MP20 mb and jpx919 tour.  I've played Mizuno for many many years.... The mp20 are near the top of the many mizunos that I've played.  Personally, I don't want something as small as the blueprint.  I want playability, feel, forgiveness, and tech.  Mizuno checks all those boxes.  And...I want chrome, not satin.  If you wanted something smaller, go to the cobra Fowler irons or tiger irons from taylormade.  They haven't lost their way... They just aren't a niche product.  They're checking all the boxes for the greatest number of people.  

• Like 3

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

It seems small, but I miss the old MP number font. Totally ridiculous for me to even care, but here we are.

• Like 4

[u][b]2020 Bag[/b][/u]
Titleist TS3 9.5 [i]Fujikura Ventus Blue 6S[/i]
Titleist TS3 15 [i]/Aldila Rogue Silver 70S[/i]
Titleist TS2 19 [i]/Project X Evenflow White 90 6.0[/i]
Titleist T100 4-PW[i]/True Temper AMT Tour White S300[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM7 50F, 54M, 60M 
Evnroll 1.2 34"

1 hour ago, mixxedbag said:

It seems small, but I miss the old MP number font. Totally ridiculous for me to even care, but here we are.

My son has the mp15... those numbers are smaller and thinner.  They do look sharp, but i also like that the bigger font allows for some paint fill.  

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

12 hours ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

I just picked up a set of mp5s like new condtion on cally pre owned.. they were perfect on arrival. I had success in one round so far. Can i have your thought on them just to compare mines?

They just hit a perfect window for me. And if a blade can be forgiving, MP 5 is as kind as they come. The feel on them is just awesome. I love the MP20, I just don't feel like I'd score any better with them and that's what its all about.

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

2 hours ago, The Mad Bomber said:

They just hit a perfect window for me. And if a blade can be forgiving, MP 5 is as kind as they come. The feel on them is just awesome. I love the MP20, I just don't feel like I'd score any better with them and that's what its all about.

So i played mine again today.. 2nd time... i think they are unbelievable. What i put in is what i get out and more. Im actually for whatever reason gaining what seems like 5 to 10 yards on good strikes which is tottaly blowing my mind as to how. Feel is quite amazing. Great and good stikes feel very pleasant. Bad strike alert you without the painfull sting which is mainly what allways scared me from blades. I have mp 20 mmcs as well and they are very comparable... these might feel a touch softer and somehow a touch more stable. Cant complaint on either set.  Mp22 should be fantastic but im probably set for a long while.

16 hours ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

Love the feel, thats Mizuno for you. But other than that... You get the blade sole width, turf interaction and thin ish topline but with some forgiveness. I play mine with X100 all the way to a 4 iron. I feel I can control the height pretty well and have never had an issue getting the long irons up or the short ones down... Really enjoy them. As much as I am intrigued to see what the new Mp22 is going to look like it is likely Ill wear the face off on mine. Also agree with the above, love the Chrome and not satin. Its a bit old school but looks amazing in hand and in the bag... 

Srixon ZX5 LS Driver, Project X Hzrdus Black, 70g 6.5

Cobra Fly Z Fairway, UST Elements Fire, 7F5 

Cobra Fly Z Hybrid, Aldila Tour Blue ATX85H 2.3-X

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW, True Temper X100

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Biomech Acculock Ace / Ping B90 Broomstick

On 3/16/2021 at 9:28 PM, oih said:

I agree. They have lost their identity. MP should be pure traditionalists. There is a reason Casey is still playing the MP 5's. 

Their best irons were the MP 14/29/33/68/4/5. But it has been too long since the MP4/5 line to get a great set of blades. Look at Titleist. Their MB line has barely changed. 

From the MP 18 line and MP 20 they were major disappointments. Stick to the basics. MP line is for the pure muscle back player. Don't need cooper gimmicks. 

The 18 is as pure muscleback you could get. No tungsten no copper little offset so not sure what you’re talking about. Plus for me they finally got the PW shape right on the 18mb. The mp5 is more “gimmicky” than the 18 with the blade being more concave in the back 

• Like 1

Am I reading this right? That copper underlay beneath the chrome is too gimmicky for the pure muscle back fans? I thought the MP20 MB’s looked fantastic and felt even better when I tested them. I settled for the MP20 MMC’s which look and feel best in class compared to other players cavity backs IMO. And kudos to Mizuno for finally including a PW in their iron sets instead of the 3-9 + spatula we used to get. Really looking forward to the MP22 release even though I’m still in love with my current set. 

• Like 3

Anxiously awaiting the next release. I played MP14's for 6-7 years, MP37's for 10-11 years, and have had the MP4's for 6 years now. I still have both sets of 14's and the 37's that I'm planning on refinishing in a few years to just keep in the basement.

Mizuno irons are typically the best ROI item in my golf bag. Certainly better than putters which I tend to replace every time I'm hit by a gentle breeze.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

2 hours ago, stingerfade said:

The 18 is as pure muscleback you could get. No tungsten no copper little offset so not sure what you’re talking about. Plus for me they finally got the PW shape right on the 18mb. The mp5 is more “gimmicky” than the 18 with the blade being more concave in the back 

The MP-5 got quite a lot of stick when it first came out - traditionalists didn't like that it had weight scalloped from the back.  In that regard the MP-20 is a lot more traditional than the MP-5 ever was.  The MP-5 took a little time to be loved......Mr Casey definitely helped.  The copper underlay was something traditionalists had been asking for Mizuno to bring back for years.  There was an undercurrent that the older blades like TN87 that had the copper were a notch above in terms of feel.  In the end - everyone can like / dislike anything, so much is personal taste.  But i'd argue (or agree) that the MP-20 muscleback is as traditional as they come.

Edited by joshella
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, joshella said:

The MP-5 got quite a lot of stick when it first came out - traditionalists didn't like that it had weight scalloped from the back.  In that regard the MP-20 is a lot more traditional than the MP-5 ever was.  The MP-5 took a little time to be loved......Mr Casey definitely helped.  The copper underlay was something traditionalists had been asking for Mizuno to bring back for years.  There was an undercurrent that the older blades like TN87 that had the copper were a notch above in terms of feel.  In the end - everyone can like / dislike anything, so much is personal taste.  But i'd argue (or agree) that the MP-20 muscleback is as traditional as they come.

I was talking about the mp18, I’m not a fan of the 20. I have a set of the TN-87 and also a set of the ms-11 both with copper underlay and oh man do they feel SWEET. the ms-11 might be the best shape of an iron ever, super small, straight back muscle, razor thin beveled top line (like the rickie blade) but unfortunalty has the reverse offset where I can’t even look down at the 8-pw. But they feel amazing 

• Like 1

On 4/16/2021 at 8:44 AM, joshella said:

You're very on-point with this comment. I think a lot of that went away when people actually hit them though. MP-5 is as good as it gets. They look stunning and meet all the criteria of blade. Somehow, with the weight cheated towards the sole, they're still easy to keep down and they're just flat out not as punishing as the 4's/18's.

I didn't think there would ever be a need to move away from the 33's but here I am. The notion that MP-18/20 are "gimmicky" gave me a good laugh lol.

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

On 4/16/2021 at 9:22 AM, Breezy-3- said:

Am I reading this right? That copper underlay beneath the chrome is too gimmicky for the pure muscle back fans? I thought the MP20 MB’s looked fantastic and felt even better when I tested them. I settled for the MP20 MMC’s which look and feel best in class compared to other players cavity backs IMO. And kudos to Mizuno for finally including a PW in their iron sets instead of the 3-9 + spatula we used to get. Really looking forward to the MP22 release even though I’m still in love with my current set. 

A copper underlay is as old school as it gets.  That dude doesn't have a clue if he thinks it's gimmicky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/16/2021 at 4:26 PM, stingerfade said:

I was talking about the mp18, I’m not a fan of the 20. I have a set of the TN-87 and also a set of the ms-11 both with copper underlay and oh man do they feel SWEET. the ms-11 might be the best shape of an iron ever, super small, straight back muscle, razor thin beveled top line (like the rickie blade) but unfortunalty has the reverse offset where I can’t even look down at the 8-pw. But they feel amazing 

Any interest in parting with that TN87 set?  

5 hours ago, boyce89976 said:

I grew up playing MP29's (and wish I'd never let them go).  If the MP20's had the same offset profile of the TN87/MP29 (less in the long irons, more in the short irons) I'd be all over them.  

A modern mizuno blade with a reverse offset progression would be amazing!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Golfingfanatic said:

A modern mizuno blade with a reverse offset progression would be amazing!

Yeah initially when I heard about that I thought I would be be put off it by the weird offset.

However, when I got my MP-29 last year, I found I started to like the reverse offset more and more and now it feels second nature and no real difficult transition to my standard offset in my MX-300s.

• Like 1