2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Mizuno MP-22

joeymack14

Is wha it is, I get it everything is going up, just seems Mizuno went quick, pretty sure my 919T were $125 a stick.

I have been a mizuno loyalist for a while, and think the 223 look good, just tried Titleist on a whim, never had an iron with such clean turf interaction.

• Like 1

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T150 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Toulon Portland Garage 
ProV1x

9 hours ago, tourpure said:

There are sets of the Mizuno pro 223 on the bay with nippon Limited 115 shafts.They show pics of the whole set. Sole does look kinda wide for Mizuno players clubs.

To me they looks like the MP18 SC sole, which is admittedly wide but very playable.

Tsi3 10* Tensel 1k White 70x
Tsi2 16.5* Tour AD TP 8X;

Apex UW 19* Aldila Green 8x

818h2 21* Atmos Blue 8x

Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 iron

2019 T100 Tour issue 5-9 s400

SM9 46F, SM6 54s and 60s s400

Kenny Gianinni G2 Chubby

12 hours ago, Warrick said:

Is wha it is, I get it everything is going up, just seems Mizuno went quick, pretty sure my 919T were $125 a stick.

I have been a mizuno loyalist for a while, and think the 223 look good, just tried Titleist on a whim, never had an iron with such clean turf interaction.

Titleist do have great soles. To me they are the goldilocks for turf interaction. Mizuno are the diggers, Ping are the bouncers and then Titleist fit right in between. Srixon is probably a little better for my swing than anything as I can go with the more narrow soles and not worry at all. Interested to hear more about the Mizuno turf interaction. I saw a convo with Voshall on twitter with some random guy one time a while back (paraphrasing) and he said they are always considering everything and they had heard more times than they liked they could improve in the turf interaction area. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Warrick said:

I think I paid $40 per for my Titleist DCI 962s, with an employee discount -- but it came with a free lesson from the course pro.

Those days are long gone.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So I have the 58/4 X grind and love it in most situations so far. 

full shots - easy to control for distance

flop shots - easy to hit and control

bunker shots - by far the easiest wedge I have hit out of the bunker. 

the only issue so far is fringe and first cut around the green…a lot of chunkies! The leading edge just digs. Do I need more bounce? If I get more bounce, will it affect the other shots?

2 hours ago, TheGolfingRealtor said:

So I have the 58/4 X grind and love it in most situations so far. 

full shots - easy to control for distance

flop shots - easy to hit and control

bunker shots - by far the easiest wedge I have hit out of the bunker. 

the only issue so far is fringe and first cut around the green…a lot of chunkies! The leading edge just digs. Do I need more bounce? If I get more bounce, will it affect the other shots?

Wrong thread 😉

Are you talking about leading edge sticking on chips or flops? Both potentially technique related as well - if you are someone that doesn't create a long "flat spot" in your wedge swing, you might wanna play with bounce and/or grind. 4* is obviously super super low bounce so if you are anywhere on the steeper side or play in softer conditions, I'd say try a different one and see if that helps

Edited by m_w

3 hours ago, m_w said:

Wrong thread 😉

Are you talking about leading edge sticking on chips or flops? Both potentially technique related as well - if you are someone that doesn't create a long "flat spot" in your wedge swing, you might wanna play with bounce and/or grind. 4* is obviously super super low bounce so if you are anywhere on the steeper side or play in softer conditions, I'd say try a different one and see if that helps

On chips shots.

I’m a picker/sweeper that plays in soft conditions. 

I play a SM8 with 8* bounce and a Glide 3.0 with 10* bounce. Both are better in regards to chipping but not as good in flop shots and bunker shots. 

If I went to 6* would I still get what I want with the flop and bunker?

28 minutes ago, TheGolfingRealtor said:

On chips shots.

I’m a picker/sweeper that plays in soft conditions. 

I play a SM8 with 8* bounce and a Glide 3.0 with 10* bounce. Both are better in regards to chipping but not as good in flop shots and bunker shots. 

If I went to 6* would I still get what I want with the flop and bunker?

IMO a 4* bounce in soft conditions is just the wrong tool. Just my opinion. I wouldn’t go below 8.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, m_w said:

Wrong thread 😉

Oh shoot! I thought this was the wedge thread. My bad!

On 11/24/2021 at 3:24 PM, livigolfs said:

More about descent angle than anything else. Some of these strong irons get the ball higher in the air

Only true to a point. I hit my hybrid 100ft plus but it only spins at 3000-3500. What do you think stops faster on firm greens that or my 7 iron which goes the same height? I swing my 7 at 95-100 depending. What happens to the guy swinging jacked lofts at 80 mph? He doesn’t have the height or the spin to stop it. He might as well have a truer spin model because the 45 degree descent might be stopping before the 7 for him 

21 hours ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

Only true to a point. I hit my hybrid 100ft plus but it only spins at 3000-3500. What do you think stops faster on firm greens that or my 7 iron which goes the same height? I swing my 7 at 95-100 depending. What happens to the guy swinging jacked lofts at 80 mph? He doesn’t have the height or the spin to stop it. He might as well have a truer spin model because the 45 degree descent might be stopping before the 7 for him 

based off my experience getting paired with lots of strangers at the local muni, that window where you can get stopping power from a trad loft but not a jacked loft is too small to describe many people at all.

edit: also ive seen you on a lot of other posts when i google search within wrx. Your name+avatar are funny so i always notice when its you.

Edited by river11

4 hours ago, river11 said:

based off my experience getting paired with lots of strangers at the local muni, that window where you can get stopping power from a trad loft but not a jacked loft is too small to describe many people at all.

edit: also ive seen you on a lot of other posts when i google search within wrx. Your name+avatar are funny so i always notice when its you.

Munis - absolutely fair. I spin the ball a lot and would honestly consider playing p790s if I played munis most of the time because I’ll get mid and long irons to back up as it’s so soft around here. My home course has greens that are firmer than a lot of tour venues I’ve played. I need the spin there and it’s where I play 99% of my rounds. There are a few older guys I play with that use blades or Titleist CBs and even through they hit a lower ball they can stop it. Pretty much everyone else rolls off the back if they land it on the surface with stronger lofted clubs. Our club champ from last year is almost 60 and plays MP20s actually. 

On 11/13/2021 at 5:36 PM, m_w said:

General notes and first impression from hitting ~50ish balls

Feel

Obviously always subjective but these irons have a classical Mizuno "hand feel" with a different sound that I have not heard from the MP20's or others. I think the closest in sound is the i59 and i210 - which for me, is a good thing. Its a very satisfying combination. The feel is softer and not as "solid" as i.e. Miura irons (i wouldnt describe Miura as soft, for reference).

Consistency

50 balls is likely not enough to tell but so far, I'm impressed. Very tight groupings in terms of speed and spin, haven't had one that over or underperformed significantly

Forgiveness

Very high for this class of iron. I think thats the most surprising to me. These are more forgiving than the T100 and i59's for certain. They retain spin and speed better than the MP20 MMC's. I would say they feel at least on the same level as the i210's but with a smaller footprint and better ballspeed retention. What really stood out to me is that they seem to retain speed pretty much all over the face, regardless if low, high, heel or toe strike (please keep in mind, I'm not talking about hoseling it and retaining 120mph, I'm talking off-center strikes). Very impressed by the forgiveness. In this class of irons (coz I know it'll be asked) I'd rank them as follows from most to least "forgiving": 223 > i210 > T100 >= MP20 MMC = i59 > TR20V = CB301 > TC201

Progression in set

Very nice to see the set is tuned correctly to enable similar ballflights. My 5 iron shots had the same height as my 7 iron shots and the 9 iron was just a few feet higher. The progressive tech application seems to work well in this set.

Turf Interaction

I'll play a round tomorrow and update this. I dont think its possible to judge this off of mats, even thou I'm hitting of a high quality Fiberbuilt.

Summary

My initial impression is that these will be a highly successful model for Mizuno and I think they are the first big step that I've seen them take in years. Highly likely that if you are 0 - 15 hcp, these should be on your fitting list for 2022 to try out.

M_W, curious if you have any additional time with the 223’s, either on the course or range/sim? Anything that has changed or solidified your original thoughts? I think we are all dying to hear more about the club and you are the only one that has really played them. Thanks for any additional info/thoughts!

1 minute ago, acro said:

M_W, curious if you have any additional time with the 223’s, either on the course or range/sim? Anything that has changed or solidified your original thoughts? I think we are all dying to hear more about the club and you are the only one that has really played them. Thanks for any additional info/thoughts!

Nothing major has changed really. One thing that has solidified is that they are approximately 500 rpm less spin than the i59's for me - something that I need to keep an eye on as a lower spin player. Besides that, I really like them - for me, the MP223's are really among the top-top non-blade players irons out there, with the forgiveness of the i210. Turf interaction is good for me, not quite as "perfect" as the T100's but good, very similar to the i59's really.  Forgiveness is confirmed to be above both T100 and i59. 

Happy to answer specific questions

• Thanks 1

Great news, y'all. Monday is Mizuno Pro day on TXG. The U.S. embargo is almost over.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR 1w Ventus Red 6x

Titleist TSR 3w Tour AD DI 7x

Titleist TSR 5w Tour AD DI 8x

Titleist TSR 4h Tour AD DI 9x

Titleist T150 4i-6i X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 White Hot OG5

2 hours ago, m_w said:

Nothing major has changed really. One thing that has solidified is that they are approximately 500 rpm less spin than the i59's for me - something that I need to keep an eye on as a lower spin player. Besides that, I really like them - for me, the MP223's are really among the top-top non-blade players irons out there, with the forgiveness of the i210. Turf interaction is good for me, not quite as "perfect" as the T100's but good, very similar to the i59's really.  Forgiveness is confirmed to be above both T100 and i59. 

Happy to answer specific questions

-Curious about the difference between the 7 and 8 with the micro slot, can you tell a difference with feel and or forgiveness?

-Same question with the difference between the 6 and 7 with the six having the bigger slot area? 

- I am playing a 46* T22 and curious if you think it would blend well with the nine, or should i get the 223 pitching wedge ?

-Is the PW and 9 iron head size close in size to the T22.

- over last 3 years i have gradually worked my way down to a 9.5 hdcp from a 14-15, I am used to playing the JPX forged line and wanted something smaller,  concerned i might be getting over my head with the 223, any thoughts to the forgiveness for a 9-10 hdcp?

-Really appreciate your help, I think you’re the only English speaking person that has gamed these…

On 11/20/2021 at 9:14 AM, mtg said:

I agree on the shaping.. feel like we're a long ways off from a return to that though. Kinda don't love the new number font either haha.

I'd also add more offset. Mizuno has held pretty strong (as opposed to say titleist) but think they went too far the last few sets. I don't need MP-29 level offset but like MP68,69,4,5... that's about when we were perfect. Just gives the club a better look at address IMO, frames the ball better. 

Hear hear. I see a club promoted as “very low offset” and it’s a big no. Plenty of pros who like some offset too. It’s only among golfwrxers that offset somehow prevents all good golf and makes every shot hook. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

12 hours ago, river11 said:

And they just put this unboxing video for the fli hi

If the 221s had a straight muscle like the Fli Hi those would look insane.

• Like 3

Srixon ZX5 10.5° - Diamana TB 6TX

Ping G410 17.5° - Atmos TS Red 7S

Ping G430 21° - AD IZ 8X

Ping Blueprint S 4-PW - PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno T22 50S, 54D - S400 TI

Vokey SM9 60T - S300

Gamer Putters Son of a GOAT - 326g, 34"

Bridgestone Tour B X

29 minutes ago, Yoshifan151 said:

If the 221s had a straight muscle like the Fli Hi those would look insane.

Totally agree. Not a huge fan of the angled muscle on 221, even though they still look great overall. 

13 minutes ago, Mavrix said:

Do you know whether they will do a review on Monday? 

They'll likely do a live review/unveiling on Monday. They did that with the JPX line last year and I believe they did it with the Srixon and Titleist lines earlier this year?

Either way, they usually always do a live review on the Mizuno line.

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSR3 9° / Fujikura Ventus Blue w/ Velocore + 6S, 45.25"

Titleist TSR2+ 14.5° 3W / Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6S, 43"

TaylorMade Qi10 18° 5W & 21° 7W/ Mitsubishi Kai'li Blue 72g S

Ping Blueprint-S 5-PW / Project X IO 6.0 110g / Power Spec

Vokey SM10 Nickel 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 58.10 S / Project X IO 6.0 110g

Scotty Cameron Phantom 5 2024 / 34.5"

Titleist ProV1 / Golf Pride MCC+4 Blue/Gray/Red/Orange

4 hours ago, Mavrix said:

Do you know whether they will do a review on Monday? 

Yep, they are skipping the regular Monday Q&A and doing a live Mizuno Pro unveiling. They have all three models (not sure about the Hi-Fli). So no doubt they'll have Matty in the simulator bashing balls while Ian chimes in. They didn't mention anything about Chris Voshall, so I don't know if he'll be there or not. He usually is. 

Edited by uglande
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1