Mizuno MP-22

joeymack14

On 5/21/2021 at 3:28 PM, joeymack14 said:

I’m not very familiar with Mizuno’s release cycle. When can we expect for information to start coming out?

We should start seeing media drops and spy pics around open championship time..

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

14 hours ago, mbl32465 said:

In the MP range I’d rather have the SC than the MMC. So MB then SC then HMB. 

100% agreed on this. Not sure I get the titanium multi material and how it fits into the line up. I did read earlier in the thread that the old SC was to close in performance to the MB which made sense but it still doesnt resolve how the MMC fits. 

Anyone have any new timelines on when the new product leaks / info might start to appear? Vosh tweeted front face a long time ago and nothing since... any inside scoop?

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 LS Driver, Project X Hzrdus Black, 70g 6.5

Cobra Fly Z Fairway, UST Elements Fire, 7F5 

Cobra Fly Z Hybrid, Aldila Tour Blue ATX85H 2.3-X

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW, True Temper X100

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Biomech Acculock Ace / Ping B90 Broomstick

56 minutes ago, ProjectX said:

According to Voshall when he visited TXG to talk about the MP 20 line it was a redundancy issue. The performance and forgiveness of the MB has gotten to a place where the SC really wasn't much different than the blade. Then if you bend the MMC weak, which presses out the additional offset, you end up with a similar looking and feeling iron that is much more forgiving than the SC. As a MP 18 SC user I was disappointed to hear this but I understood it. If you look at the market now a players cavity without at least tungsten or some other multi material design, especially in the long irons, is rare. What I don't understand is how people think the hollow HMB fits the MP line but the MMC doesn't. 

IMO, the MMC has long been the best iron in the MP releases. You get the shape of a blade but a much more "powerful feel" than a one piece forged MB or CB/SC. I agree the SC didn't fit in the MP 20 release... I'd love to see them introduce a progressive set rather than CB/SC in the MP22 line similar to the older Taylormade P760 irons and leave the MB and MMC as the bladier options. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Rig14Port said:

IMO, the MMC has long been the best iron in the MP releases. You get the shape of a blade but a much more "powerful feel" than a one piece forged MB or CB/SC. I agree the SC didn't fit in the MP 20 release... I'd love to see them introduce a progressive set rather than CB/SC in the MP22 line similar to the older Taylormade P760 irons and leave the MB and MMC as the bladier options. 

Good call on the progressive iron set idea. With all the marketing on blending the MP20 line, I could def seem them going that direction. That would be a good replacement for the MMC IMO. People who bag MMCs always seemed to either combo'd it with HMB in the long irons or MBs in the short. 

10 hours ago, Rig14Port said:

I know what you mean by the "more powerful feel", but that just seems to contradict the "nothing feels like a Mizuno" DNA of the MP line.  But maybe that's the established long-term trend for players CB irons, and Mizuno feels compelled to follow in lieu of getting passed over.

I remember the first time I picked up the MP-20 MB and being shocked by the thickness of the top line and sole, though the beveled edge does a nice job of hiding things at address.  As for forgiveness, can anyone speak to how the MP-20 MB plays vs the MP-18 SC, or better yet, against older CB designs within the MP line?  Thinking of clubs like the MP-64, MP-63, MP-62, or even the much older, cut muscle MP-32?

If the prevailing trend for Mizuno blades is to play more like a classic players CB, that might be a compelling story.

Edited by typedef

On 5/28/2021 at 7:18 PM, typedef said:

I know what you mean by the "more powerful feel", but that just seems to contradict the "nothing feels like a Mizuno" DNA of the MP line.  But maybe that's the established long-term trend for players CB irons, and Mizuno feels compelled to follow in lieu of getting passed over.

I remember the first time I picked up the MP-20 MB and being shocked by the thickness of the top line and sole, though the beveled edge does a nice job of hiding things at address.  As for forgiveness, can anyone speak to how the MP-20 MB plays vs the MP-18 SC, or better yet, against older CB designs within the MP line?  Thinking of clubs like the MP-64, MP-63, MP-62, or even the much older, cut muscle MP-32?

If the prevailing trend for Mizuno blades is to play more like a classic players CB, that might be a compelling story.

I have the 20 mmcs... i hit the 20 blades... i hit the 18 sc... the 18 sc felt just like the 20 mmc. Very soft and with some power... i was suprized. My mmcs are amazing. Very happy i have a set. The blade felt good and seemed forgiving compared to blades of past. I have mp 5 blades and they remind me much of the mmcs playability but in a blade. Matter of fact i was hitting the mp5 just as far if not more. I personally like the thought of blades that play like a players cb and lately some companies seem to be doing that. The blueprints also come to mind.. veryyy small but very hittable. Their really is no look out there that scares me.... i just dont want a painfull sting in my hands... i will take a little hardness though. Drops off as far as the mp5s mmcs... and i have 2018 xforged/mbs on the way.... seem to be really minimal. Im talking 5 yards mostly. I will take that in order to play these size and looks of irons

13 hours ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

I have the 20 mmcs... i hit the 20 blades... i hit the 18 sc... the 18 sc felt just like the 20 mmc. Very soft and with some power... i was suprized. My mmcs are amazing. Very happy i have a set. The blade felt good and seemed forgiving compared to blades of past. I have mp 5 blades and they remind me much of the mmcs playability but in a blade. Matter of fact i was hitting the mp5 just as far if not more. I personally like the thought of blades that play like a players cb and lately some companies seem to be doing that. The blueprints also come to mind.. veryyy small but very hittable. Their really is no look out there that scares me.... i just dont want a painfull sting in my hands... i will take a little hardness though. Drops off as far as the mp5s mmcs... and i have 2018 xforged/mbs on the way.... seem to be really minimal. Im talking 5 yards mostly. I will take that in order to play these size and looks of irons

How would you compare the forgiveness of the long irons for those clubs?  If you catch it a bit toward the toe, which clubs still give you a decent shot vs. fall a bit short of your target?  I'm not concerned about the shorter clubs, but would appreciate a little more forgiveness in a 3 or 4 iron.

Another thing I'm not thrilled about with the MMCs is the stronger lofts, and it appears the only two Mizuno iron sets that maintain somewhat traditional lofts are the MP-20 MB and the JPX 921 Tour.

Thinking back to what @Richsgbox posted earlier, the JPX Tour really seems to be the style of Players CB design going forwards (e.g. Srixon ZX7, TaylorMade P7MC, Callaway Apex, etc.), which honestly kind of makes me sad.  All said, if it doesn't make smart business sense to continue the MP cavity back design, I completely understand.

16 hours ago, typedef said:

How would you compare the forgiveness of the long irons for those clubs?  If you catch it a bit toward the toe, which clubs still give you a decent shot vs. fall a bit short of your target?  I'm not concerned about the shorter clubs, but would appreciate a little more forgiveness in a 3 or 4 iron.

Another thing I'm not thrilled about with the MMCs is the stronger lofts, and it appears the only two Mizuno iron sets that maintain somewhat traditional lofts are the MP-20 MB and the JPX 921 Tour.

Thinking back to what @Richsgbox posted earlier, the JPX Tour really seems to be the style of Players CB design going forwards (e.g. Srixon ZX7, TaylorMade P7MC, Callaway Apex, etc.), which honestly kind of makes me sad.  All said, if it doesn't make smart business sense to continue the MP cavity back design, I completely understand.

Quite honestly the forgiveness throughout the mmcs distance wise has been fantastic. Ive stuck a 7 iron wayy toey once and fat... i thought i had nooo chance. It was pin high 8 feet right of flag. Ive struck it low and heely. Its what i love so much about them. Blade look... pretty much gi forgiveness. Ive never lost anything other then maybe 5 yards on bad 4 or 5 iron strikes but most of the time it makes it. I just hit a 5 iron with 175 to the middle of green on target without a problem. The only place i stuggle with the 4 iron is sometimes i hit a super chunk and thr ball goes 10 15 yards... but thats me not the club. 

Bump- hoping to hear some news on the MP 22 line soon. 

I'm really looking forward to the gen 2 HMB. I've always gravitated towards forgiving clubs and I'm really intrigued by the size and shape of the HMB's. They strike a really nice balance in my opinion. FWIW I'm a 4 handicap and playing the G425's (and they are realllllllly clicky). 

• Like 1

On 5/15/2021 at 5:50 PM, mesegrn said:

I'm currently struggling to replace my MP4s. I've never hit the 18's or 20's. What is relatable to the MP4s gentleman?

All recent Mizuno models seem to be of larger head size than the MP4, and I expect that same trend will continue.  If you like the relatively small head size of the MP4 you should probably stick with that model or one its predecessors.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

I'm really interested to see where Mizuno goes with the next MP series. I got fed up with supply chain delays this year and pushed my new iron purchase to next year, so I'm back in the market. I really didn't consider the MP20 line for my (now canceled) order this year as the whole line felt chunky compared to past MP's. 

I'd love to end up with another set of silky Mizzy combo set or straight CB's, but will need to see a bigger departure from the MP20 than I'm expecting.

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎 9* @8, Diamana BF 60
Titleist TS3 15*, EvenFlow White T1100 75
Titleist TS2 HY 19* @18, EvenFlow White 90
Titleist 716 T-MB 3i PX 
Titleist T100 '21 4-9 PX
Vokey SM8 Jet Black 46.10, 50.08 @51
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 57*
Bettinardi BB-8W

Chrome Soft X LS

3 minutes ago, eagle2838 said:

I'm really interested to see where Mizuno goes with the next MP series. I got fed up with supply chain delays this year and pushed my new iron purchase to next year, so I'm back in the market. I really didn't consider the MP20 line for my (now canceled) order this year as the whole line felt chunky compared to past MP's. 

I'd love to end up with another set of silky Mizzy combo set or straight CB's, but will need to see a bigger departure from the MP20 than I'm expecting.

Given how well received the new Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 were received, I'm interested to see if Mizuno includes a "true" CB/SC design with the MP-22 lineup.

I'm not a big fan of the MP-20 MMC for two reasons: (1) I prefer more traditional lofts, as opposed to the stronger lofts seen in game improvement irons, and (2) the aesthetics leave little to be desired vs. the beautiful design of the MP-20 MB.  But those things are purely subjective and my personal preferences only.

If Mizuno were to offer an MP-22 lineup similar to the MP-20 lineup, I very well may look to the ZX7 as my next set of irons.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, typedef said:

Given how well received the new Srixon ZX5 and ZX7 were received, I'm interested to see if Mizuno includes a "true" CB/SC design with the MP-22 lineup.

I'm not a big fan of the MP-20 MMC for two reasons: (1) I prefer more traditional lofts, as opposed to the stronger lofts seen in game improvement irons, and (2) the aesthetics leave little to be desired vs. the beautiful design of the MP-20 MB.  But those things are purely subjective and my personal preferences only.

If Mizuno were to offer an MP-22 lineup similar to the MP-20 lineup, I very well may look to the ZX7 as my next set of irons.

I guess clubs like the mp 64 didn’t move the needle as much as the multi material titanium insert kind of clubs do. 
it’s a shame because I do like the simplicity of a one piece cb iron

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, toddyc said:

it’s a shame because I do like the simplicity of a one piece cb iron

As do I.

I have a set of MP-30s that I absolutely adore, and wish I could find something similar to them, e.g., shallow muscle cavity, thin cambered sole, progressive center or gravity, easy to work, easy to flight..

The prevailing trend wrt forgiveness seems to be the multi-material design, thicker top line, with thicker soles.  I like the simplicity of the ZX7, using only a tungsten insert in the toe of the 3-7 irons to improve MOI, along with the narrower V-sole.  But, it's true that nothing feels like a Mizuno.  Maybe the MP-22s will be a bit of a throwback to a more classic design philosophy.

30 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

Ping doesn't even know what their new irons look like they are so delayed. Or the fell off a ship and sunk to the bottom of the ocean. 

I liked the look of the MP18 over the MP20. In both the blade and the SC. 

Lol

Callaway Paradym TD “S” 420cc 8.5 Project X Evenflow Riptide MX 60TX
Mizuno ST 230 Max 15.0 Mitsubishi Rayon Kai’Li Blue 70X

Callaway OG Apex UW 21.0 Mizuno MmT 80X

ON ORDER: Mizuno Pro 243 5-GW Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Mizuno T24 56/12S & 58/4X Nippon Modus Pro 120X

Rife Phenom.Z 34”

On 5/27/2021 at 1:43 PM, mbl32465 said:

In the MP range I’d rather have the SC than the MMC. So MB then SC then HMB. 

Agreed. I have the MP-18SC and did a split set with MMC 4&5ir.  I absolutely love the feel and performance of the SC’s.  However, I found the 18 MMC’s to be too different in weight and feel and very much disliked them.  Local Mizuno rep was so awesome and let me trade in the MMC for the SC.  Would love to see the MP-22 range make an SC model and trim down the MB. 

I’ve hit the MP-20 MB and they are a beautiful piece of art, highly responsive, and powerful.  I was impressed how much distance and control I got from them… however, they were chunky.  The MP-20 MMC was very lackluster IMO. Again, too lightweight, long faced, and uninspiring (sorry MMC lovers:).  

Mizuno has their work cut out this year with TM sexy new lineup, Srixon, and so many others.  Mizuno, I’m holding out for the MP-22’s, please bring the heat!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Atheisy said:

Agreed. I have the MP-18SC and did a split set with MMC 4&5ir.  I absolutely love the feel and performance of the SC’s.  However, I found the 18 MMC’s to be too different in weight and feel and very much disliked them.  Local Mizuno rep was so awesome and let me trade in the MMC for the SC.  Would love to see the MP-22 range make an SC model and trim down the MB. 

I’ve hit the MP-20 MB and they are a beautiful piece of art, highly responsive, and powerful.  I was impressed how much distance and control I got from them… however, they were chunky.  The MP-20 MMC was very lackluster IMO. Again, too lightweight, long faced, and uninspiring (sorry MMC lovers:).  

Mizuno has their work cut out this year with TM sexy new lineup, Srixon, and so many others.  Mizuno, I’m holding out for the MP-22’s, please bring the heat!

The muscleback had become so playable that the SC was a little pointless - from a pure performance standpoint.  Lots of heat coming though. 

• Like 1

On 6/7/2021 at 7:23 AM, RacineBoxer said:

Bump- hoping to hear some news on the MP 22 line soon. 

I'm really looking forward to the gen 2 HMB. I've always gravitated towards forgiving clubs and I'm really intrigued by the size and shape of the HMB's. They strike a really nice balance in my opinion. FWIW I'm a 4 handicap and playing the G425's (and they are realllllllly clicky). 

My son plays G710 irons. Clicky is a perfect description of those as well! And the drivers should come with ear plugs. Safe to say PING makes clubs that perform, but sound/feel is definitely not close to the top of their priority list. “Tools not jewels”“Performance over all else” sure I get it. But I’ll find something that performs AND sounds/feels good. Too much great stuff out there to settle. 

1 hour ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

I have to be honest mizuno blades are just kinda easy to hit lol

Too easy! It’s just ridiculous. I can’t hit a poor shot with these modern Mizuno muscle backs! Too chunky, all the off-set.. ugh! They’re hard to look at. Bring back the old stuff that separated the men from the boys! 😂 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2