PXG Gen4 irons

ssfranny

1 hour ago, ssfranny said:

So in the description they say the big adjustible weight can be adjusted by the fitter bit not to be adjusted afterwards?   Dont really get that if I put in a lighter or heavier shaft would like to swap out weights.   Thats main reason I would consider them since probably no longer than the other Gens.

I will agree that it would be helpful to an end user that wants to change SW to be able to remove and change the large screw weight in the back of the irons.  After all they do allow the weights in the soles of woods and putters to be changed by the end user!  

The smaller weights in back of the prior Gen irons that PXG used were not meant to be user adjustable and PXG is not changing their method.  They can be removed with heat from a torch as they are loctited in place....there is a video showing this done by a PXG builder and changing them.  Probably not something most end users will try however not wanting to melt the COR material inside the head.

Same with the new larger weight in the Gen 4 irons.  It is meant to be changed during a fitting to determine a "best" Swingweight and then loctite is used during the build to secure it in place.

Much easier and less time consuming to change just one large weight instead of several weights as had to be done in the past.

So, what is a end user to do if they want to change the SW and can't change the larger screw weight?

I would suggest if one thinks they will want to make adjustments themselves then they need to order a specific SW that is on the light side of what will be used.

Then the head can be removed as in the past and tip/hosel weights can be used to adjust the SW higher as needed.

Yes, it would be nice if the weights, small ones as well as the large one, were not loctited in place to allow them to be changed by the end user.  So, do it like I have done in the past with my PXG builds and order a "light" head for SW purposes and adjust with tip weights.

• Like 1

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) "The FREAK" Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9* (10*), Accra TZ6/M5 72g X

CALLAWAY Apex UW 17*, LAGolf Tour Issue Prototype Trono 75x; 19*, 21* Ventus Velocore Red, 8X/9X

PXG GEN4 0311ST, Xtreme Dark, 4 - 9, CT Lite/Std LE Black X, PW, GW, PX 6.5 Blackout

PXG GEN4 0311T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - 9, CT Lite/Std LE Black X, PW, GW, PX 6.5 Blackout

PXG GEN4 0311XP/GEN0311P, Xtreme Dark, 5 - 6, CT Lite LE Black X/ 7 - 9 CT Lite/Std LE Black X, PW, GW, PX 6.5 Blackout 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 56*/10, 60*/7, PX 6.5 Blackout //  CALLAWAY JAWS MD5 Custom Wedges, 54*(55*)/10S, 60*/08C; PX LS 6.5....TOULON GARAGE Austin Custom Rose Gold // SCOTTY CAMERON Santa Fe T3 Custom Antique Copper  .... STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550// Cobalt Q6 Slope

• 3 months later...

Any tips for a person going in to get fitted for a set of PXG irons?  Gen 3 seems to be very discounted.  If difference between Gen 4 and Gen 3 is marginal, will probably go with the Gen 3.

Driver: Ping G425Max, Diamana TB60

2H: Ping G425, Ventus Blue 7

4H: Taylormade M2, Tour AD DI-75

5 - PW:  PXG GEN3 T, NS Pro 850GH

56*, 60* Callaway X-Forged

52* Cleveland Zipcore 

Putter: NP2 Terrylium 93', Fuji MC Firm

9 hours ago, Yoshimonster said:

Any tips for a person going in to get fitted for a set of PXG irons?  Gen 3 seems to be very discounted.  If difference between Gen 4 and Gen 3 is marginal, will probably go with the Gen 3.

While there is a difference it is marginal a TO ME. And I played the Gen 3 from the day they were available to the day I got my Gen 4's. 

If the price difference is significant and that is your guideline then go with the Gen 3's.

• Like 1

DRIVER -    Taylor Made Sim 2 - 9* | 🔥🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥🔥
3 WD -        PXG Gen 4  13* |  🔥🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥🔥

HYBRIDS- PXG Gen 2 -  2/3/4 | Accra Tour 100i Stiff
IRONS -       PXG Gen 4 -  0311XP 5 - GW | Mitsubishi MMT 80 Stiff
WEDGES -  Ping Stealth Glide 2.0 54-12 / 58-06 Wedges | Wedge Flex
GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX XL ULTRALIGHT grips on ALL 
PUTTER -   PXG ☠️One and Done☠️
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag
BALLS -       Bridgestone BXS / Pro V1

4 hours ago, SEP1006 said:

While there is a difference it is marginal a TO ME. And I played the Gen 3 from the day they were available to the day I got my Gen 4's. 

If the price difference is significant and that is your guideline then go with the Gen 3's.

Thanks and noted!

Driver: Ping G425Max, Diamana TB60

2H: Ping G425, Ventus Blue 7

4H: Taylormade M2, Tour AD DI-75

5 - PW:  PXG GEN3 T, NS Pro 850GH

56*, 60* Callaway X-Forged

52* Cleveland Zipcore 

Putter: NP2 Terrylium 93', Fuji MC Firm

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, pumpkin77 said:

How about the difference between gen 2 versus gen 3 or gen4?

pricing looks great on the gen2s now!

The Gen 2's are good but the Gen 3's TO ME are significantly better. Better feel, looks and dispersion.

• Like 2

Price drop....

Gen4 $289 down from $375

CALLAWAY Customs (Black w/Silver) "The FREAK" Mavrik Sub Zero Driver, 9* (10*), Accra TZ6/M5 72g X

CALLAWAY Apex UW 17*, LAGolf Tour Issue Prototype Trono 75x; 19*, 21* Ventus Velocore Red, 8X/9X

PXG GEN4 0311ST, Xtreme Dark, 4 - 9, CT Lite/Std LE Black X, PW, GW, PX 6.5 Blackout

PXG GEN4 0311T, Xtreme Dark, 4 - 9, CT Lite/Std LE Black X, PW, GW, PX 6.5 Blackout

PXG GEN4 0311XP/GEN0311P, Xtreme Dark, 5 - 6, CT Lite LE Black X/ 7 - 9 CT Lite/Std LE Black X, PW, GW, PX 6.5 Blackout 

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 56*/10, 60*/7, PX 6.5 Blackout //  CALLAWAY JAWS MD5 Custom Wedges, 54*(55*)/10S, 60*/08C; PX LS 6.5....TOULON GARAGE Austin Custom Rose Gold // SCOTTY CAMERON Santa Fe T3 Custom Antique Copper  .... STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550// Cobalt Q6 Slope

On 7/29/2021 at 7:35 PM, SEP1006 said:

The Gen 2's are good but the Gen 3's TO ME are significantly better. Better feel, looks and dispersion.

Gen 3 are definitely the best feeling they have made, haven’t hit the 4’s but to use that big screw I’d want the black’s and not paying 3K for em 

PXG Proto 0811X 9 w/ Graphite Design MJ 6

Ping G425 14.5 w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue 7

Callaway Epic Flash 18 w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue 8

Titleist 816 H2 21 w/ Fujikura Atmos Red 8

PXG Darkness 0311P 5-GW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 

Titleist Vokey Raw SM7 Custom 54/60 M grinds w/ KBS $ Taper 125

Scotty Cameron NP2 SSS Timeless 34/350G

Has anyone compared the gen4’s to the sub70’s?   I just got the 0311 wedges and are liking them and now looking at getting some new irons.  I’ve heard lots of greats thing about both sets 

M1 hzrds 75 6.0
15* R9 Oban devotion
21* Wilson hybrid
Miura 4-paw recoil 125 protos
50,55, 58 Scratch 1018 DD s400
Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 center shaft.

PXG Gen4 ST available!

No longer fully milled design...like the other G4 irons with the back only milled.

Buy PXG 0311ST GEN4 Irons - Blade Golf Clubs | PXG

Edited by BirdieBob
  • Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 11:15 PM, Yoshimonster said:

I did a fitting and was generally hitting Gen 3 heads. At one point in working through swingweight he put me in a Gen 4 to go heavier and lighter in a way he couldn't with his Gen 3 heads. I honestly noticed no difference.

Unfortunately for me, they don't keep the Gen 2 heads in the fitting setups (totally understandable) and the cheap option was what I wanted to assess. So, while I have a decent idea of what I'd do in Gen 3, it sounds like there's a big unknown on how I'll feel about Gen 2. I've read a LOT of reviews and, for better or worse, it sounds like Gen 2 and Gen 3 were quite different in feel and somewhat in appearance as well.

I think the shop I normally go to has a bag full of old PXG clubs from when they sold them, so with any luck I might be able to get a direct comparison if they have Gen 2 inventory. I fit into the stock shaft, so that at least makes it easier.

1 hour ago, BirdieBob said:

PXG Gen4 ST available!

No longer fully milled design...like the other G4 irons with the back only milled.

Buy PXG 0311ST GEN4 Irons - Blade Golf Clubs | PXG

KABOOM BABY!

• Like 1

“I’m just here to hit bombs and make bogeys.”

TM SIM2 9* HZRDUS Smoke RDX Blue 🇺🇸 LE

TM SIM Ti 5w Fuji Atmos Blue TS 7x

Ping G410 3h Fuji Atmos Blue TS 8HY

Titleist 816 4h Diamana Blue

Mizuno 919 Forged 6-G, HM Pro 5

Ping Glide Stealth 54 WS, 58 ES

Odyssey DFX 3300

TM TP5

On 7/31/2021 at 7:16 AM, LafFord said:

Gen 3 are definitely the best feeling they have made, haven’t hit the 4’s but to use that big screw I’d want the black’s and not paying 3K for em 

I thought the gen3s were good but you have to hit the gen4s.  Best feeling iron I’ve ever hit.  Night and from gen3 and gen3 are very nice, but gen4 felt like sweet cream butter!

• Like 3

Current Gamers
MAVRIK 10.5*, FUJI PRO 53 STIFF
TEE XCG5 +3, 5, 7 Fwys 

MIZUNO JPX 921 HOT METAL PRO 6-GW
CALLAWAY MD 4 - 56*, 60*
TOULON AUSTIN STROKE LAB 33”
2020 TOUR B-RX (Fall/Winter)
2019 PROV1X (Summer)

2 hours ago, gridironesq said:

I thought the gen3s were good but you have to hit the gen4s.  Best feeling iron I’ve ever hit.  Night and from gen3 and gen3 are very nice, but gen4 felt like sweet cream butter!

waiting on some blacks 

PXG Proto 0811X 9 w/ Graphite Design MJ 6

Ping G425 14.5 w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue 7

Callaway Epic Flash 18 w/ Fujikura Ventus Blue 8

Titleist 816 H2 21 w/ Fujikura Atmos Red 8

PXG Darkness 0311P 5-GW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 

Titleist Vokey Raw SM7 Custom 54/60 M grinds w/ KBS $ Taper 125

Scotty Cameron NP2 SSS Timeless 34/350G

• 1 month later...

Can anyone who has the Gen3 T’s or P’s and has upgraded to the Gen4’s 

provide a comparison?  Was it worth it?  Any major difference in feel, dispersion, distance? 

Titleist TSi3 9*- AutoFlex SF505XX

TM Sim2 3 wood- Ventus Blue 7X
TM Sim2 5 wood- Ventus Red 7X/ Callaway Epic Super Hybrid Tour 19* AD DI 85X (I go between the 5W and hybrid at times). 
or depending on course and conditions: 3i Titleist U505 Tour AD DI 85X
4i PXG Gen2 Utility Iron MMT 105TX
5-PW PXG Gen3 MMT 105TX (5 and 6 Players, 7-PW MMT 105TX)
Bettinardi HLX 3.0. 50*, 55* 
TM MG3 60* LW
LAB 2.1 with Stability Shaft, 35inch
PXG Desert Camo carry stand bag

19 hours ago, My2Dogs said:

Can anyone who has the Gen3 T’s or P’s and has upgraded to the Gen4’s 

provide a comparison?  Was it worth it?  Any major difference in feel, dispersion, distance? 

Maybe I can help. I've had every generation of the PXG irons. And kept each one until the next gen came out. To me, the biggest difference was from the Gen 2's to the Gen 3's. I had the Gen 2 P and the Gen 3 XP.

So to your question. Again to me, there is minimal difference between the Gen 3 and Gen 4. No matter which model you are playing. As stated I went from Gen 3 XP to Gen 4 XP. Any major difference in anything, NO.

If price is your decision point ( which in your case I doubt it is. Been reading the Autoflex thread ) then go with the Gen 3's.

• Like 1

Thanks.  I’ve got a couple sets of the Gen2 and purchased the Gen3 and absolutely love them.  Was thinking of getting the Gen4 but haven’t hit them.  Unfortunately a little issue came up today so no golf for a bit but appreciate the info.  

Titleist TSi3 9*- AutoFlex SF505XX

TM Sim2 3 wood- Ventus Blue 7X
TM Sim2 5 wood- Ventus Red 7X/ Callaway Epic Super Hybrid Tour 19* AD DI 85X (I go between the 5W and hybrid at times). 
or depending on course and conditions: 3i Titleist U505 Tour AD DI 85X
4i PXG Gen2 Utility Iron MMT 105TX
5-PW PXG Gen3 MMT 105TX (5 and 6 Players, 7-PW MMT 105TX)
Bettinardi HLX 3.0. 50*, 55* 
TM MG3 60* LW
LAB 2.1 with Stability Shaft, 35inch
PXG Desert Camo carry stand bag

On a whim I recently bought a cheap set of Gen4 0311Ts from the PXG eBay store.

I played Gen 1 XPs for a couple of years, and tried out Gen3 0311Ps earlier this year.

It may well be that the 0311Ts are just a bit much for me, but so far I prefer both the look and feel of Gen3.

I'll give them another couple of goes on course and see if that changes.

TSi2 Hzrdus Smoke
Cobra F6 Baffler

Apex 21/Epic Flash Hybrids
Cobra Forged Tec/MIM Tour Copper Irons
PXG/CBX FF wedges
PXG One and Done 

2 hours ago, sfdoddsy said:

On a whim I recently bought a cheap set of Gen4 0311Ts from the PXG eBay store.

I played Gen 1 XPs for a couple of years, and tried out Gen3 0311Ps earlier this year.

It may well be that the 0311Ts are just a bit much for me, but so far I prefer both the look and feel of Gen3.

I'll give them another couple of goes on course and see if that changes.

I tried going from the Gen 3 P’s to the Gen 3 T’s about a year ago. I was good up until the 7 iron. I now have a blended send of P’s and T’s, but I definitely found the T’s more difficult to play beyond the 8 iron. That’s just me. I have a set of Gen 4 P’s 5-G on the way. 

• Like 2