Miura Feel - Is it Overrated?

JStang

I have played Miura for several years and it depends on which set you have, I have Tc-201’s love them but they don’t have the feel of my mb 101’s blades,  but i now play the TB-Zero 99.3’s and I can tell you without a doubt these are the best clubs I have ever hit. Unfortunately they are not available to just anyone. You can find used Tb-zero on e bay, but be careful of fakes. On true tb-zero the 7 iron has a laser etched serial number on it. The 99.3 version is made by Katsihiro himself and is the heads that Tiger has used most of his career. Yup you heard me right, Tiger has played 99.3’s most of his Career, made by the Master craftsman only. 

B1A52F95-6141-4FD3-A1BE-68E3CBA9F8AC.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Billy Hyde said:

I have played Miura for several years and it depends on which set you have, I have Tc-201’s love them but they don’t have the feel of my mb 101’s blades,  but i now play the TB-Zero 99.3’s and I can tell you without a doubt these are the best clubs I have ever hit. Unfortunately they are not available to just anyone. You can find used Tb-zero on e bay, but be careful of fakes. On true tb-zero the 7 iron has a laser etched serial number on it. The 99.3 version is made by Katsihiro himself and is the heads that Tiger has used most of his career. Yup you heard me right, Tiger has played 99.3’s most of his Career, made by the Master craftsman only. 

Tiger played irons forged by Miura for a very short stint during his career, and that was early in his career when he was playing Titleist blades, to my knowledge. I could be wrong...

And as far as getting 99.3 they were only available as pre order for a short time. And TB Zero will be Japan only now as Miura Giken is no longer sold overseas. Miura international put an end to that. I’d love to compare a set of 99.3 to my TB Zero but I’ll probably never find out 😭

13 hours ago, Billy Hyde said:

So if someone wanted to get there hands on these (TB Zero Pure), what's the best route to do that? Asking for a friend who might be able to hide enough income from wife to actually purchase them, lol.

23 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

So if someone wanted to get there hands on these (TB Zero Pure), what's the best route to do that? Asking for a friend who might be able to hide enough income from wife to actually purchase them, lol.

At this point you’d have to buy them off someone who already purchased them. TB zero pure is no longer being made, unless they do another production run, which won’t be anytime soon.

2 hours ago, Nard_S said:

i realize that but there will be another time. The BB's came back, so there's that,.

ya, sounded like you are trying to get a set right now. The pre orders for the tb zero had to be in by April 30th, 2020 and delivery was expected in November 2020. They did a limited production of the pure 99.3 in the cb1008 model in the past and they offer some wedges as well currently.

Anything is possible but I wouldn’t hold my breath waiting for them to offer them again. Bringing back the baby blade was as easy as using molds they already had. A bit different variable than the process required using 99.3 pure iron.

Regardless getting any set of Miura Giken’s will be very tough outside of Japan for the foreseeable future. 

• Thanks 1

I don't have nearly the range of experience that some previous commenters have, but it is interesting to read through these comments and see the differences in how we define "good" or "great" feel, which completely makes sense. Miura and Mizuno (the only brands in this discussion with which I have substantial experience) feel very different to me, with Miura very dense and immediate, and Mizuno being much softer and a more typical representation of what comes to mind when I think of "pure". 

Both Miura and Mizuno clubs provide very precise information about where on the clubface you hit the ball, and what type of contact you made. For me, that is the critical performance criteria, and along those lines I would definitely not say Miura feel is overrated. 

So many people define the best feel as the softest feel, and I suspect those people are often disappointed if they have the opportunity to hit a Miura club

Also, as others have mentioned, Miura sole grinds and turf interaction are pretty incredible. 

Edited by eagle2838

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎 9* @8, Diamana BF 60
Titleist TS3 15*, EvenFlow White T1100 75
Titleist TS2 HY 19* @18, EvenFlow White 90
Titleist 716 T-MB 3i PX 
Titleist T100 '21 4-9 PX
Vokey SM8 Jet Black 46.10, 50.08 @51
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 57*
Bettinardi BB-8W

Chrome Soft X LS

9 hours ago, Nard_S said:

i realize that but there will be another time. The BB's came back, so there's that,.

i highly doubt there will be another run of the 99.3 tb-zero. they are a pain in the a** to grind as the metal composition makes the heads stick to the grinding wheel, there are not too many out there who can actually do the grinding....

as for those looking for a set, they are out there you just need to know which shops in japan may still have stock and see if they can communicate in english and are willing to ship overseas. otherwise get a proxy to purchase them for you, if you want a set bad enough you should still be able to find one....as for being able to select which 99.3 finish that maybe a tougher option, i have no idea the breakdown between the two finishes offered.

• Thanks 1

JBeam J3 Tour 10.5* - Syncagraphite Loop Prototype IP X
Miura Giken TC-101 Miura Craftsman World #3

Artisan MB #4-PW
(Nippon Modus 125 X Flex in 3-PW)
Artisan 50*, 55*, 60*

(Nippon Modus 125 X in 50*)
(Nippon Modus Wedge 125 in 55* & 60*)
Artisan 0117 Stainless; Smooth Face w/Site Dot (Grip; Elite Geron Type #N2 Black)
Tour G 50 Rubber Round Grips On Driver;Irons;Wedges

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick update, I am now gaming Srixon ZX7 irons and they give me the soft feel I have been searching for. No complaints with the Miura's as I could easily still game them but they just didn't give me the feel I was after. 

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

I have only played the CB 57s and can only compare them to the Bridgestone J33 CBs which I think are Endo forged, different feel, hard to describe, maybe the Miuras had a more solid/dense feeling.  Both have a great and soft forged feel but I moved on from the CB 57s and kept the Bridgestones just because I am so used to them and have become my old reliable set of irons.  I still play Miura wedges, a 52 and 58 in the Milled Tour version, now these are very soft and solid unlike any other wedges I played in the past.

Edited by theothertwo
  • Like 2

TaylorMade Stealth HD 10.5* Driver
Taylor Made Stealth 2 16.5* Wood
Callaway Apex 21 Hybrids 21* & 24*
Callaway Apex 21 Irons P-6 
Cleveland RTX ZipCore 54/10 and 60/6 Wedges 
Slighter Seattle Custom Putter

On 5/5/2021 at 9:05 AM, BALZ said:

I built up a set of MG 5003MB Miura blades, they are my favorite sticks in my arsenal at present. 

IMG_9057.jpeg

IMG_9058.jpeg

IMG_9059.jpeg

@BALZ: strewth, that’s a butter-knife of a blade! Better be a good player to play a Miura blade (or any other) with no offset! But I imagine the feels on a sweet spot hit 🏒=unparalleled! 

Edited by JungleJimbo

I got my first set of Miuras 4 months ago. I’m a lefty playing off 16. I purchased the heads (unused) from a USA based distributor linked with Miura.

I purchased and imported the heads LH tourney blade 3-7 and cavity backs 8-PW. I had them built here, nippon MS Pro 105 stiff with leather grips.

They were 2016 models.

the feel is amazing but what no one seems to talk about is the LENGTH. These clubs are LONG. I’m hitting 3I 220 metres with 3500-3900 rpm. Ball flight is penetrating then high and dead stops. 

FA5919AD-0816-4369-B270-9F3954CD60C3.jpeg

Ive played 3 sets of Mizuno's and just picked up a great condition set of Miura CB 57's. Would have to hit them side by side to know what I prefer

Currently I play New Level PF1's so head to head with the Miura id say the New Level's feel softer on center strikes. The Miura's however feel alot more dense/powerful on a center strike. Still very soft but feels more solid than the New Level

I have different shafts in them so maybe not a fair comparison but the Miura's seemed to fly 5- 10 yards farther. There really is a flushed and powerful feel from these

Last year I had 3 Miura wedges (2 Milled Tour and 1 K Grind). The wedges are the softest feel off the face by far and its not close. To me the wedges feel completely different than the irons

TM Qi10 9* ... KBS TD Serape 60x

TM Stealth 2+ 4w ... KBS TD Rainbow 70x

TM Stealth 2+ 6w*... KBS TD Rainbow 80x

Titleist 5h 23* C1 ... KBS Proto 105 S+

Mizuno Pro 243 5 - P ... KBS TGI 110

TM MG4 50 S, 56 LB, 60 TW... KBS $-Taper 130x

Greyson x Bettinardi SS3 and QB6

TaylorMade TP5x

I gamed TC-201 for about 8 months. Miura feel is a combination of soft/dense/solidness on center strikes. Tremendous feedback and spin created with the TC-201. I could reasonably work the ball as well.  It's definitely what I would characterize as a "solid and dense" feel. It feels very "true", no gimmicks and you lose no feedback at all. 

I'm sooo close to making an offer on some MB-8501's. Part of me just wants to get it over with. 🤣

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

• 2 weeks later...

I would agree that Miura irons have a dense heavy feel when struck in the middle. I recently picked up some MB-001 (7-PW) and CB 57 (3-6) irons. Compared to my 2018 Apex MB irons the Miura irons feel more solid and the Apex feel a little softer. They both feel great and have great balance during the swing. Both irons get through the turf well but the Miura irons feel like they have a little more bounce due to the leading edge grind.

Both sets are shafted with Project X 6.0 shafts and have a swing weight between D2 and D3. As for distance the difference between the Apex and MB-001 7 iron is 3 yards according to track man numbers. Both 7 irons have a loft of 34 degrees. This is a limited data set so it may not be fully accurate. Both launch at the same angle descend at the same angle but the Miura 7 iron has an average spin of 6400 vs 7000 for the Apex. The difference between the Apex MB 4 iron (23 degrees) and the CB 57 4 iron (24 degrees) is more noticeable.  Both 4 irons have an average spin of 4500 but the CB 57 has an average peak height 5 yards higher than the Apex MB 4 iron a decent angle 3 degrees stepper and goes 7 yards further. I would attribute this more to the difference in head design and loft than the forging. 

C4D67E55-25AA-4096-86B5-EA0E96DEAB07.jpeg

4819267C-5A30-4D67-89D6-236D8ADA11DF.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 5/23/2021 at 7:15 PM, Awainer1 said:

I was kinda down on miura after reading about all the 2 piece forging stuff. But these have found their way back in my bag. I guess it’s more about the shape and grind and size and these are working the best for me. With mmt shafts 🙀

D0D08BA5-D9AF-485B-A7E4-68E45ED9698A.jpeg

I just got a set of sb-02 3-pw. They are the best feeling irons of all time no doubt. I’ve been through 25 sets this year buying and selling and these will never leave… I have a set of tb zero on the way as well and can’t wait to compare… there’s a reason that the miuraisms were 5-8k back when they were new..

556E55BC-BFDE-460E-98C9-04CD18D990B8.jpeg

• Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 10:35 PM, Billy Hyde said:

Confirmed by my source other tour players play miura thru a different OEM. 

I have owned CB57, CB501, MC501 and MB101 (current combo set) and I will say that the feel alone isn’t night and day above some other clubs. But as an all around package with feel, turn interaction, build quality etc.  is why I love them. I haven’t tried every club out there but I feel it would take something very special at this point to pry them out of my bag 

• Like 1

IG: golfer_scott

Callaway Epic - HZRDUS Black
Cobra F9 3 Wood
Titleist 818 H1 19° Hybrid
Miura CB-57 4-PW
Cleveland RTX4 50°, 54°, 58°
Custom Edel E-3 Putter

Have owned several cult classic irons forged by Miura for other OEMs, Miura wedges of various grinds, and a couple of different Miura-Giken models, they are no doubt quality forgings with very consistent heavier head weights , excellent finish, and tend to produce very consistent distances relative to loft, with slightly more ball speed as a result of heavier head weights. If sole grind, COG placement, and the manner in which you deliver the club all match up nicely, then feel will be dense and solid. Whether this suits your personal preferences, that’s up to player to determine.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

9 hours ago, Gmoney777 said:

I just got a set of sb-02 3-pw. They are the best feeling irons of all time no doubt. I’ve been through 25 sets this year buying and selling and these will never leave… I have a set of tb zero on the way as well and can’t wait to compare… there’s a reason that the miuraisms were 5-8k back when they were new..

556E55BC-BFDE-460E-98C9-04CD18D990B8.jpeg

where would one even find a set of these? And what is the going rate used these days 

IG: golfer_scott

Callaway Epic - HZRDUS Black
Cobra F9 3 Wood
Titleist 818 H1 19° Hybrid
Miura CB-57 4-PW
Cleveland RTX4 50°, 54°, 58°
Custom Edel E-3 Putter

On 6/29/2021 at 7:39 PM, 00bolt said:

where would one even find a set of these? And what is the going rate used these days 

it took me over a year to find a set on good condition. Going rate depends but a good looking set maybe 2k+? I saw someone pay 2800 earlier this year so it just depends.