how to combo hybrid and driving/utility iron

sociojeje

I have been carrying 3 and 4 hybrid for years. And just for the sake of fun and change, I am wondering if people combo hybrid and utility iron. I am thinking about adding 4 (22-23) driving/utility iron and keeping the current 3 hybrid.  If you combo, do you use a longer club for utility iron or a shorter one? And why?

16 minutes ago, BigVolGolfFan said:

I would combo with a 3 hybrid and 4 utility.  For most people their issue is launch and carry with long irons, so having the utility in the 4i gives you more loft.  The 3 hybrid gives even more help for launch with lower loft.   Does that make sense? 

Thank you so much! It makes sense for sure. So my plan is not too crazy then. One of my concerns is about the stopping power of utility irons as they seem to have lower trajectory with lower spin. I would say my 4h is the longest 'scoring' club as I don't think I usually hit the green with 3h (not that I usually hit the green with 4h either but the chances are anyway higher). But I also think its lower launch can be good for different trouble shots and punch shots... 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, sociojeje said:

Thank you so much! It makes sense for sure. So my plan is not too crazy then. One of my concerns is about the stopping power of utility irons as they seem to have lower trajectory with lower spin. I would say my 4h is the longest 'scoring' club as I don't think I usually hit the green with 3h (not that I usually hit the green with 4h either but the chances are anyway higher). But I also think its lower launch can be good for different trouble shots and punch shots... 

I have a 3i Utility that I use as a driving iron more than anything else.  The lower launch is nice and it will be more difficult to hold a green unless you can get the launch up with one.   Check your gapping with the 4 utility iron, you made be surprised that you can add loft (weak 4, potential 5 utility) and get the distance and launch you’re looking for.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigVolGolfFan said:

I would combo with a 3 hybrid and 4 utility.  For most people their issue is launch and carry with long irons, so having the utility in the 4i gives you more loft.  The 3 hybrid gives even more help for launch with lower loft.   Does that make sense? 

Agreed. IMO there are only a couple scenarios that would warrant taking the opposite approach (longer utility, shorter hybrid) and those are pretty specific e.g. wanting a longer, lower spinning tee club (3 utility) and a higher, softer approach club (4 hybrid). Otherwise the "standard" approach makes more sense, and I think many people would benefit from the set 5i, utility 4i, 3 hybrid, 5w style of progression from irons to woods. 

• Like 2

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX || Taylormade SIM 9* Diamana X'17 70X
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage Proto 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti V2 17* Kuro Kage 80XTS 
Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro White 90TX || TItleist TS21* Kuro Kage 100XTS 
Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Project X PXi 7.0 // Kuro Kage 100XTS 
Hybrid  
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

Rule number one:  You need more swing speed to elevate a DI over a hotter faced, deeper CG and higher MOI hybrid.  It's the reason why hybrids were invented in the first place.

Although I like to carry my 18° Driving Iron, I'm just on the edge of enough SS to make it work.  So I'm doing exactly what you are considering; I carry a 19° 4 hybrid and 22.5° 4 DI.  Both are good from the tee and the turf, but...

Rule no. 2:  A DI is much easier to shot shape.  I play to a draw and never stand over my hybrids and think anything but a draw.  By their very nature they want to go left.  So when I need to hit it dead straight, I shot shape with my 4 DI.  Some will say they can move a hybrid anyway they want and good for them, but for a shallow in to out swinger, they're flat out crazy.

With my 4 DI, I can cut it high, draw it low and hit a roll forever stinger making it much more versatile then my high draw only 5 hybrid.

Rule no. 3:  The hybrid sole is much more forgiving from the turf.  Again some may dispute this, and again they're nuts.  They can hack out of the rough all day with their 2 DI:)  I'm good with my 4 DI from the fairway, but any trouble and a hybrid comes out.

• Like 2

If you add in the driving iron, don't sell off the 4H. IF you're playing a tighter course, you probably want the driving iron. If it's a more open course, and you have shots to elevated greens, you may want two hybrids.

My "driving iron" is my set 4i refitted with a lighter hybrid shaft. If I went back to four wedges, selecting the 4i or 4H would be a gameday call for me.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, set 9.5°; weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

1 hour ago, mootrail said:

Rule number one:  You need more swing speed to elevate a DI over a hotter faced, deeper CG and higher MOI hybrid.  It's the reason why hybrids were invented in the first place.

Although I like to carry my 18° Driving Iron, I'm just on the edge of enough SS to make it work.  So I'm doing exactly what you are considering; I carry a 19° 4 hybrid and 22.5° 4 DI.  Both are good from the tee and the turf, but...

Rule no. 2:  A DI is much easier to shot shape.  I play to a draw and never stand over my hybrids and think anything but a draw.  By their very nature they want to go left.  So when I need to hit it dead straight, I shot shape with my 4 DI.  Some will say they can move a hybrid anyway they want and good for them, but for a shallow in to out swinger, they're flat out crazy.

With my 4 DI, I can cut it high, draw it low and hit a roll forever stinger making it much more versatile then my high draw only 5 hybrid.

Rule no. 3:  The hybrid sole is much more forgiving from the turf.  Again some may dispute this, and again they're nuts.  They can hack out of the rough all day with their 2 DI:)  I'm good with my 4 DI from the fairway, but any trouble and a hybrid comes out.

That was exactly my plan. not just rough, I hit hybrid in fairway bunker too. It's just so easy. But DI would give me more shaping options and that's why i would like to try!

6 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

If you add in the driving iron, don't sell off the 4H. IF you're playing a tighter course, you probably want the driving iron. If it's a more open course, and you have shots to elevated greens, you may want two hybrids.

My "driving iron" is my set 4i refitted with a lighter hybrid shaft. If I went back to four wedges, selecting the 4i or 4H would be a gameday call for me.

My 3 wood is 70 range and hybrid is 85 range weight. Then is 85 range shaft for DI would be good? Or should I go heavier or lighter? Oddly, I use 95 range iron shafts as heavier iron shafts (only irons) give me some back pain (I had a back surgery). I like the idea of the gameday call!  

I carry a 20 degree hybrid. When it's windy I swap for the DI. The problem with using a DI all the time is that they are hot and don't spin - very limited but useful application.

• Like 1

TM M1 440 2017 - Tensei White 60s - 44.5"

TM M5 15* - Rogue 110 70s - 43"

TEE CBX119 18* - EvenFlow Blue 85s - 41"

MP-32 3-PW (23*-48*) - Nippon SP Blue

SM8 54F - Nippon Modus3 125 Wedge

SM8 60T - Nippon Modus3 125 Wedge

Nike Method 003

I asked something similar to this late last year. I'm trying something different as I've never been comfortable with a hybrid but I understand their use, especially on long par 3s and out of the rough.  I've always used a 2i/DI off the tee and tried replacing with a hybrid in that spot but it always failed.

So I'm starting out this year with a 18* DI (u65), a 19" hybrid (H65) and a 24" utility (MP-H4).  The DI has been a beast off the tee and great as a layup on par 5s. The hybrid will be used out of the rough or in spots where I need height and distance (i.e. carry over water).

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Synergy 50
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60
Callaway '18 Apex 3H, 4H Aldila NV 105

Taylormade Rocketbladez Tour “F” Heads 3-PW DG120 S300

Callaway Jaws CC 52*, 58* DGS300
Nike Method Mod 00

I actually play a 7 wood and a u85 4 iron. It has been a great combo for me. I can choke down the 7w for long par 3s that I need to hold greens on and I still have the 4 utility for safe tee shots. The 7w is 21 degrees lifted down to almost 20 and the u85 is 23 degrees, with of course a longer shaft in the 7 wood. Gapping is about 10-20 yards depending on how I hit the 7 wood (choke up cut/normal draw). 

• Like 1

JP plays a #4 Titleist 718 TMB instead of his set 4. It goes a bit further than his set 4 iron. He plays a 718 h2 at 21*. For many years he used a Mizuno mp flihi at 21* but recently switched. Higher ball flight into greens being the reasoning. At the same time, he switched out an 18* Srixon DI for a 19* TM SLDR 5 wood. Again, height into greens. 

Tried out his old blue Mizuno tziod forged 7 wood with DG shaft. Man it is wonderful feeling but it goes SO high and not as far as his H2 hybrid. Top ten most beautiful metal fairway woods all time.

He will switch back to DI setup when he expects howling winds, or his swing is grooved. It has been a good equipment adjustment. 

• Like 1

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade M6 18*

Titleist 818 H2 21*

Titleist 718 T-MB 24*

Titleist 718 AP2 5-GW

Mizuno MP R12 54*, 60*

Odyssey WH #6

Put me in the 3h/4DI camp as well.  I think it is a very good way to incorporate more forgiveness deeper into your bag!

• Like 2

Epic MAX LS 8° w/AD BB

Razr Fit 12° w/VS Voodoo 
Epic Flash 16° w/Rogue M•AX
X Forged UT 18° & 22° w/PX
Apex Pro '19 5-A w/PX
X Forged Jaws 53, 59, 64 w/PX
White Hot #5 Center Shafted
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

8 hours ago, Ryan19jwu said:

I’m with everyone else here. Play a 3H and 4UT. I also have a 3UT and a 4H that I rotate through. Rarely use the 4h, but put it in the bag if it’s wet and slow. 

I use the 3UT for any course that are firm and fast. Love to hit that low runner. 

How would you compare the 3UT to the 4UT? Are they 20* and 23*?

I'm thinking about getting a 4 Driving Iron to replace my 3 Driving Iron and 4-iron to lower the number of clubs I carry, but just wondering if I could hit the same types of shots with a 23* 4 Driving Iron?

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Max LS (10.5*) / Hzrdus Smoke 6.0

Callaway Rogue (15*) / Aldila Synergy 60 S

Callaway Rogue (19*) / Aldila Synergy 60 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-5), ZX7 (6-PW) / Modus3 Tour 120

Cleveland RTX Zipcore (52, 58 Mid) / Dynamic Gold Spinner

TaylorMade TP Collection Soto (36")

WITB on WRX

On 3/12/2021 at 3:41 AM, sociojeje said:

this is my setup for exactly this reason... 18 hybrid that launches high... used for shots into par fives, tee shots with no wind and occasional recovery.

22 utility for stingers into the wind, occasionally into greens and recovery punch shots that I want to keep low.

the combination has worked great for me, though I’m about to buy a sub70 hybrid with the same shaft as my utility for better matching.

• Like 3

As of 1/24/21

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with RipX

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-GW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I have to agree with those saying the hybrids stop better than the driving irons. I guess the low spin is what makes a driving iron a driving iron.

So, at the bottom of the bag, I go PW-52*-58*, which leaves me a spot at the top of the bag.

I go 7w (V-Steel) to 23* hybrid (RoMaro iBrid) to #4 driving iron (MP-20 Fli-hi). The 7w is long, and neither the hybrid nor driving iron can match it for distance (unless I get a LOT of roll-out with the driving iron).

I prefer the hybrid from the fairway and rough, but really I want to make the DI into a more normal 4i. I like @BigVolGolfFan's idea of weakening the loft of the DI to make it fly a bit higher, and shorter, than the hybrid. 

Ideally, though, I'd like to streamline the hybrid and DI into one club, I'm just not sure which. Adjustments at the bottom of the bag will probably force adjustments at the top.

• Like 2

Also, FWIW, I have a VERY “blended” bag.  I play a MAX-type of driver, then a mini-driver, then a fairway wood, then a hybrid, then a driving iron, then hot faced cavity back mid irons, then “normal” cavity back short irons, then “short game” specific wedges, and finally a mid-mallet putter.  

Here’s the thing: they all go the distance that they “should” with the appropriate amount of forgiveness in respect to the length of shot they are being asked to hit.

I highly recommend this type of setup, and go as deep into the bag with the forgiveness as you need to so that you enjoy the game.

• Like 2

Epic MAX LS 8° w/AD BB

Razr Fit 12° w/VS Voodoo 
Apex Pro '19 5-A w/PX
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

5 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Ideally, though, I'd like to streamline the hybrid and DI into one club, I'm just not sure which. Adjustments at the bottom of the bag will probably force adjustments at the top.

For me, this simply wouldn't work... but my hybrid is also my longest club I'll hit into greens with (my 3w is a tee only club, and hopefully on the way out)... I like having two completely different ball flights at that end of the bag, and I'm not good enough to manipulate a club to do both.

The hybrid is great for the high, soft landing shots into greens and the utility is great for the low stingers that run out... I don't often have 220+ into greens, so I don't mind that I'm missing a 4 iron to hit greens with, and I'm just not good enough at 200+ yards for it to really matter. 

I go Driver, 3 wood, hybrid, utility 4 iron, 5 iron... That's probably less long clubs than most people carry, though.

It just comes down to making sure you have the variety of shots you need covered. Over 200 yards, and I'm simply less concerned with my gaps and yardages, as my dispersion simply isn't good enough for me to need 10 yard gaps.

• Like 2

As of 1/24/21

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

1 minute ago, Dan Drake said:

Also, FWIW, I have a VERY “blended” bag.  I play a MAX-type of driver, then a mini-driver, then a fairway wood, then a hybrid, then a driving iron, then hot faced cavity back mid irons, then “normal” cavity back short irons, then “short game” specific wedges, and finally a mid-mallet putter.  

Here’s the thing: they all go the distance that they “should” with the appropriate amount of forgiveness in respect to the length of shot they are being asked to hit.

I highly recommend this type of setup, and go as deep into the bag with the forgiveness as you need to so that you enjoy the game.

Have you looked for other mini drivers recently? I'm always open to suggestions... currently waiting on my pro to shaft a 12 degree Adams driver that will need a ton of lead tape...  It's a trial run right now, and maybe I'll just have to spend the money on a second driver down the road... 

I really like the concept of 2 drivers, one 45-46 inches and built to run out, and one 43-44 inches built to hit and stop, but I have some holes on my home course where I can run out of fairway.

• Like 2

As of 1/24/21

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

50 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

Have you looked for other mini drivers recently? I'm always open to suggestions... currently waiting on my pro to shaft a 12 degree Adams driver that will need a ton of lead tape...  It's a trial run right now, and maybe I'll just have to spend the money on a second driver down the road... 

I really like the concept of 2 drivers, one 45-46 inches and built to run out, and one 43-44 inches built to hit and stop, but I have some holes on my home course where I can run out of fairway.

I am on staff with Callaway, so I have the Big Bertha 1.5 in the bag and it is turned down to 11 (insert Spinal Tap joke here).  That said, I also have a Razr Fit driver 10.5 turned up that is shorter and heavier than normal.  

The “problem” here is that due to the number of course that I play and the different tees I often choose, there are a ton of different distance tee shots that I need to be able to hit so as to not give up 20 yards when I don’t have to.  I’m a huge fan of two “drivers” in the bag, even if they aren’t both technically driver heads.  My 2nd driver is shorter, easier to shape, and “can” be hit off the turf, IF conditions are perfect and call for that shot.  

I say put a “real” driver in that spot first, like I did with the Razr, and use that as your proof of concept.  Then, look at the TMAG Original One, Mini 1.5, XHot Deeps & TEE e8 beta 12.  I have experience with all and they are all very good heads.  Ultimately you have to make a valuation of off turf usage vs. off tee forgiveness.  

I will add, if I could build a “start left & cut” driver (a shot I just have immense trouble hitting normally), I would give up the turf usefulness and have the 2nd driver be an actual driver head.  Hitting it in play off the tee is just that important and is such a MASSIVE driver of total score.  

Edited by Dan Drake
  • Like 2

Epic MAX LS 8° w/AD BB

Razr Fit 12° w/VS Voodoo 
Apex Pro '19 5-A w/PX

Thank you very much for all of your combo plans!!! My initial combo plan is now suspended due to my impulsive purchase on BST hahaha. Bought a shaft for my 3 hybrid, di85s, first on BST then couldn't hold the temptation to buy one for 4 hybrid... Now I feel bad a bit lol. Once my remorse dissipates, I will certainly get a DI. Perhaps, I will get sub70 699u with Aldila nvs 85s to try how how a DI feels. Then, i may go into a spree again.... 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Myherobobhope said:

For me, this simply wouldn't work... but my hybrid is also my longest club I'll hit into greens with (my 3w is a tee only club, and hopefully on the way out)... I like having two completely different ball flights at that end of the bag, and I'm not good enough to manipulate a club to do both.

The hybrid is great for the high, soft landing shots into greens and the utility is great for the low stingers that run out... I don't often have 220+ into greens, so I don't mind that I'm missing a 4 iron to hit greens with, and I'm just not good enough at 200+ yards for it to really matter. 

I go Driver, 3 wood, hybrid, utility 4 iron, 5 iron... That's probably less long clubs than most people carry, though.

It just comes down to making sure you have the variety of shots you need covered. Over 200 yards, and I'm simply less concerned with my gaps and yardages, as my dispersion simply isn't good enough for me to need 10 yard gaps.

To be honest, I'm not sure it'll work that well for me, either! 

I'd like to have the option of playing one OR two clubs in that spot, though. I think weakening the #4 DI a little would help, both making it a touch easier to hit, and get a little more spin to help it stop, and get a better gap with hybrid.

The irons I've got in the bag at the moment have a 48* PW down to 28* 5i; that's also big gap from 5i to the #4 DI.

It never ceases to amaze me how many happy hours I can waste trying to figure out the best configuration for my bag🤪

• Like 1

I have a Gapr lo 19* set at 17.5*, 41" long. This is for tee shots only, and I only use this club when I am playing tighter courses. Then I have a 818 H2 19* that I will loft up to 20* when I am playing with the Gapr, or will drop down to 18.25* when I go back to my traditional 4 wedge setup (46/50/54/58 vs. 46/52/58). I also swapped my set 4i (23*) for a Forged Tec Black 4i (21*) as the 5* difference between my 26* 5i seems to give me better gapping.

If I can find a unicorn hybrid that I can flight up or down without lefts becoming an issue, I would happily kick the Gapr out of the bag.

Driver:  TSi3 10* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Fairway: TSi2 14.25* w/ AD IZ 7X 

Hybrid | Utility: TSi2 17* w/ Atmos Blue 85x | i500 3i w/ MMT 125tx

Irons: King Forged CB w/ KBS $ Taper 130X

Wedges: SM7 54 S, 58 M w/ Modus 125S

Putter:  California Hollywood 34" Circle H

So it's only been a few rounds but so far I'm loving the combo of DI/hybrid I have. 

• u65 18* DI has been great off the tee and as a layup.  Yesterday in very strong wind conditions I used it on several tee shots and on a par 5 as a layup to a really tight neck.
  • h65 19* hybrid. Used it as a layup on another par 5 where I needed to carry some water and then as a second shot into another.  Ball landed like a wedge from 220 out.
  • 24* MP-H4 utility.  Used it on a long par 3 and a second shot into a par 4 after a bad drive.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Synergy 50
Callaway Rogue 3W Synergy 60
Callaway '18 Apex 3H, 4H Aldila NV 105

Taylormade Rocketbladez Tour “F” Heads 3-PW DG120 S300

Callaway Jaws CC 52*, 58* DGS300
Nike Method Mod 00