Please take a look at this wedge

timbo12

It looks like peeling chrome or coating of some kind

• Like 1

Ping G410 Plus 12°/Xcaliber SL55, Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex, Maltby KE4 HyWay 21°/Xcaliber SL r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 4h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby TSW 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

Can't be certain without being able to feel it, but it definitely seems like the chrome coating is starting to delaminate. It looks like it's bubbling up due to moisture getting between the coating and the metal.

The same thing happened to my friend's car recently and although his car isn't painted chrome it had the same sort of bubbling look to it. 

9 minutes ago, timbo12 said:

I wonder if callaway would replace if contacted?

Given Callaways reputation I would say they would replace without hesitation.

Ping G410 Plus 12°/Xcaliber SL55, Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex, Maltby KE4 HyWay 21°/Xcaliber SL r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 4h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Maltby TSW 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

28 minutes ago, timbo12 said:

I wonder if callaway would replace if contacted?

They should, but it might get a bit hairy considering your buddy isn't the original owner. They might be better off seeing if offer up can help them get a refund since the seller seems to be non-responsive. I'm guessing he/she knew about the issue before they sold it and now feels like they got away with one.

34 minutes ago, timbo12 said:

So cosmetic issue not anything to be concerned about?

Yes and no. The chrome will probably start to flake off pretty soon, and then you'll be left with a half chrome half raw metal sole which could have a small effect especially if used for hitting chip shots. Also, the metal underneath will probably start to rust if it hasn't already since the protective chrome layer is no longer there.