Jump to content

What is up with Rory McIlroy?


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

One of the things I love about Rory is his candor. It is so rare in the sport to hear someone stand up and admit that they messed up their swing for any reason.... and for one of the game’s great driv

Lol was waiting for this thread. If Dustin misses a cut in the next month there will be a thread what is wrong with Dustin

He got married and lost his balls - needs permisson to play golf and has to be back homme before 3pm 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Philomathesq said:

Let me preface my comments with this: I'm currently a bitter human being due to work preventing me from playing golf and/or partaking in any sort of real life for the past several months, so my current predisposition is to take the cynical viewpoint. With that out of the way...

 

While I don't think the sky is falling for Rory, I do think his best days are behind him. His personal life has clearly taken a much larger role in his priorities (no gripe here) and seems to have had an oversized effect on his game. Moreover, his general attitude seems to be lacking a true winner's mindset.

 

What I heard in his interview (and here comes the cynic) was him blaming his issues on himself, but also buttressing that with outside influences in a "it's not my fault" way. His comments, to me, came off as an attempt to blame his decision to chase speed on Bryson's dominating performance at Winged Foot, and his veiled attempt to take a dig at Bryson for using single-length irons. It seems like every time Rory talks about his problems, he has to mention someone or something else as a catalyst.

 

He's still one of the best golfers in the world, but his best days are behind him. He may pull out another Major, but I don't believe he will seriously compete for many wins going forward. 


Great post, I agree.

 

Rory is good enough he can still win anytime but once he started with the

 

Golf isn’t everything and even if I don’t win, life’s ok

 

I figured he wasn’t going to perform at his max

 

I can pretty much guarantee that TW and Jack had a distaste for not winning that probably caused physical revulsion in their very fabric of being and drove them to do whatever it took to be sure they were ready to kick the crap out of anybody.

 

Don’t be fooled by this ,”Jack didn’t practice and there was more to life” stuff you hear.

 

Jack was a psycho killer between the ropes and, as Trevino said, the guy practiced a ton. 

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

His SG: Approach is terrible this season. By far worst of his career. 

This.  He's been below average to bad in this area for a long time.  How many times have we seen him bone up a hole from 125 in?  I've lost count.  He can't figure that out?  Who's he trying to convince with this chasing distance canard?  I like Rory a lot but with the unbelievable amount of data available to these guys he took a look around and said to himself "I need to get longer"?  Please.

  • Like 1

W/S Cortex 10.5* - Fuji Pro/S
Maltby KE4 TC 14* - Kuro Kage Silver/S
Cally Apex Pro 19*/22* - MMT 80/S
W/S Staff Model MB 5-P  DGS300
W/S Staff Model 52/56/60 - DGS300
W/S Bucktown

Link to post
Share on other sites

He's chasing something in his short/mid-irons. His play is abysmal. Plus, it will get worse before it gets better, after playing PX his whole life and then switching to X7. 

This is from Richie Hunts Twitter, and is Rorys stats before the Players.

Screenshot_20210313-093112_Twitter.jpg.59b09a75768e3bd75a0a8809887e2ee0.jpg

  • Like 2

TSi3 9° Tensei White Prototype 2.0 TX
Epic Flash SZ 15° Kai'li x
Epic Flash 3H 19° Evenflow Black 6.5
i210 4-G Modus3 120x
Glide 3.0 54°/60° Modus3 120x
2 Ball Ten

V1X, CSX-LS, who knows?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is Rory chasing distance and speed?

#1 in driving distance in 2017.

#1 in driving distance in 2018.

#2 in driving distance in 2019.

#4 in driving distance in 2020.

#2 in driving distance in 2021.

I have to think maybe he's being influenced by Bryson and thinking the game might pass him by if he doesn't work on his own speed...

 

But I think he'd be a lot better off focusing on 150 yards and in. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gvogel said:

I said this in another thread.  His new clubs with new shafts are giving him more distance, but less accuracy.

Is it as simple as this, his position at the top and extension through impact has migrated over the last few years and a lack of confidence from there? 

 

The bottom line is he is not playing well given his caliber and has stated he his concerned. I would be too.

 

I like Rory. This isn’t a thread to be mean spirited, but to discuss how he gets back to what he was and the changes that includes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I love the guy to bits but why is he chasing DeShampoo? Rory has a very loose swing and if it is out of kilter it is going to be wild. What I cannot understand is how he cannot copy DJ and hit a fairway finding fade. Add in a better caddie who can talk him out of going for everything and he can be number one again. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, MUNIGRIT said:

Rory's swing seems a bit dumped under now and he is hitting blocks and hooks with it.

 

Per Rory his issues are literally the exact opposite of your diagnoses...He's playing wayyy more fades than early in his career and swing is wayyyy more in line. 

 

Picture 4 is as dumped under as it gets. 

 

“I know for years and years my whole golf career I’ve got used to dropping it underneath the plane on the way down, and from there I can manage it,” he said. “I can hold it off. I’m used to that feeling.”

“It’s a completely different pattern that I’m having to manage and … I’m not used to managing it, so that’s where the two-way miss comes in, and that’s where I just have to figure out what to do to get it back to a familiar pattern,”

 

image.png.9ab3fa4cdb3b4365eac444786b87bee6.png

 

image.png.367e07081375277357a25514d41b4341.png

Edited by PureStrikes54
Link to post
Share on other sites

there was a theory that the late Ken Venturi once mentioned when he was commenting on DLIII. His theory was that players with a great swing with the driver , had difficulty with swinging a wedge because the motion was different...and you would think that the big hitters would be very proficient with a wedge because they hit so many of them because they hit so many long drives....the exception of course is TW, he was so exceptional at flighting his wedges and short irons....Rory's misses with a wedge make you scratch your head times because not only does he miss long, he also misses directionally too 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, PureStrikes54 said:

 

Per Rory his issues are literally the exact opposite of your diagnoses...He's playing wayyy more fades than early in his career and swing is wayyyy more in line. 

 

Picture 4 is as dumped under as it gets. 

 

“I know for years and years my whole golf career I’ve got used to dropping it underneath the plane on the way down, and from there I can manage it,” he said. “I can hold it off. I’m used to that feeling.”

“It’s a completely different pattern that I’m having to manage and … I’m not used to managing it, so that’s where the two-way miss comes in, and that’s where I just have to figure out what to do to get it back to a familiar pattern,”

 

image.png.9ab3fa4cdb3b4365eac444786b87bee6.png

 

image.png.367e07081375277357a25514d41b4341.png

I'm guessing you didn't pay attention to his post round interview where he said his swing was good at Winged Foot and has chased distance since then. He said his swing is too flat and rotational dependent. He is getting stuck and standing up to create power. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, MUNIGRIT said:

I'm guessing you didn't pay attention to his post round interview where he said his swing was good at Winged Foot and has chased distance since then. He said his swing is too flat and rotational dependent. He is getting stuck and standing up to create power. 

 

Got it..."flat" and "dumped under" mean the same thing. Kuch better watch out....with that flat and rotational pattern he's at major risk of hitting big blocks and hooks.

 

12:30 on...literally describes the exact opposite of a "block and hook" pattern. 

 

Rory McIlroy: Tuesday presser 2021 THE PLAYERS Championship - YouTube

 

Edited by PureStrikes54
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, the bishop said:

This.  He's been below average to bad in this area for a long time.  How many times have we seen him bone up a hole from 125 in?  I've lost count.  He can't figure that out?  Who's he trying to convince with this chasing distance canard?  I like Rory a lot but with the unbelievable amount of data available to these guys he took a look around and said to himself "I need to get longer"?  Please.

Wasn’t just him. Most every player chasing distance.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 5W (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-UW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bscinstnct said:


Great post, I agree.

 

Rory is good enough he can still win anytime but once he started with the

 

Golf isn’t everything and even if I don’t win, life’s ok

 

I figured he wasn’t going to perform at his max

 

I can pretty much guarantee that TW and Jack had a distaste for not winning that probably caused physical revulsion in their very fabric of being and drove them to do whatever it took to be sure they were ready to kick the crap out of anybody.

 

Don’t be fooled by this ,”Jack didn’t practice and there was more to life” stuff you hear.

 

Jack was a psycho killer between the ropes and, as Trevino said, the guy practiced a ton. 

 

Its a huge myth that Rory does not work hard. He works perhaps harder than 99% of the golfers. In the gym, on the range, practises all day every single time. He was like that as a kid - he will spend 15 hours a day and they had to drag him off the course. He is very deidcated and into the whole fitness perfection thing.  

 

When Rory says winning is not everything - that just him trying to take the pressure off himself. Deep down its bs! He WANTS to win badly. You better believe that.  Lets stop trying to make him a John Daly or some rock and roll guy out partying. He is a golf nerd just like Bryso on and many of the guys on tour. 

 

Golf is hard simple as that - you can work all you like but its hard! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Philomathesq said:

What I heard in his interview (and here comes the cynic) was him blaming his issues on himself, but also buttressing that with outside influences in a "it's not my fault" way. His comments, to me, came off as an attempt to blame his decision to chase speed on Bryson's dominating performance at Winged Foot, and his veiled attempt to take a dig at Bryson for using single-length irons. It seems like every time Rory talks about his problems, he has to mention someone or something else as a catalyst.

 

Whether its true or not that BDC influenced him, it does seem like a place to lay the blame. 

 

Random thoughts:

-In a stock market comparison, Rory is like a blue chip company that has very high revenue and very high expenses, and he's trying to boost the share price by brining in more revenue; maybe just reduce expenses?

-as stated, he's already long enough. He seems like he chases distance a lot; remember when he got really in shape but that didn't help much. 

- theres been way more golfers whove lost it chasing distance than those who have succeeded, you think everyone on tour would know that by now. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Ironman_32 said:

Random thoughts:

-In a stock market comparison, Rory is like a blue chip company that has very high revenue and very high expenses, and he's trying to boost the share price by brining in more revenue; maybe just reduce expenses?

 

This is an excellent comparison. Stop chasing revenue (distance) and focus on reducing expenses (i.e., focus on fundamentals). 

  • Like 3

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Philomathesq said:

 

This is an excellent comparison. Stop chasing revenue (distance) and focus on reducing expenses (i.e., focus on fundamentals). 

Thanks.

 

Its just interesting...like, does Rory come up with that himself, or does someone else crunch his numbers and tell him first priority is hit it further? I took one minute on the PGA website, Rory 2nd in driving distance, 80th in SG putting, 3rd SG driving, 15th SG tee-to-green...one of these things is not like the other...

 

Plus, you look at driving distance, BDC is #1, but after him, the top of the list doesn't include recent tour winners. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Rory should call Bones and pull him out of retirement to make a run together. I don't necessarily think having his buddy on the bag is hurting, but I surely don't think it's helping him. I'd like to see Rory go on another run and win a few majors, and hopefully complete the career Grand Slam in the process, but it's tough to know what's really going on, chasing distance, off course distractions, family life being more of a priority, who knows. I hope he gets it sorted, premier Rory is good for golf.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Josh L. said:

Rory should call Bones and pull him out of retirement to make a run together. I don't necessarily think having his buddy on the bag is hurting, but I surely don't think it's helping him. I'd like to see Rory go on another run and win a few majors, and hopefully complete the career Grand Slam in the process, but it's tough to know what's really going on, chasing distance, off course distractions, family life being more of a priority, who knows. I hope he gets it sorted, premier Rory is good for golf.

John Wood is also available. Wood said for the right player, he’d get back on a bag. Jason Day needs Col Swatton back on his bag ASAP. Maybe Bones is holding out for Jimmie Johnson to retire.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 5W (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-UW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Philomathesq said:

 

This is an excellent comparison. Stop chasing revenue (distance) and focus on reducing expenses (i.e., focus on fundamentals). 


Okay. Finally something I can understand here. 
 

I say let’s get this thread to 80+ pages because the Jordan Spieth one is slowing down!
 

Rory had some slumps in the past. Once with the Titleist to Nike change. I think he’ll be back. Probably with more majors too. 
 

Alright, who’ll be the “what’s up with …” 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Holy Moses said:

John Wood is also available. Wood said for the right player, he’d get back on a bag. Jason Day needs Col Swatton back on his bag ASAP. Maybe Bones is holding out for Jimmie Johnson to retire.

I forgot Wood was available, I'm not saying its the key to all Rory's issues, but these experienced professional caddies bring a little more to the table off the course than just having your buddy loop. Might bring some motivation to Rory. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The same thing is up with him as always. He's a mental basket case who can't get out of his own way. The "I was chasing distance" thing is just the latest in a long line of excuses. 

 

Even with 4 majors I consider him to have massively underachieved given his talent, something almost entirely down to his mental fragility. 

 

Edited by MMB1500
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Our picks

    • Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Discussion and Links
      Please put any question or comments here.
       
      Links to the galleries...
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #1
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #2
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #3
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #4
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #5
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #6
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #7
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #8
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #9
       
      Adam Svensson with new model of Puma golf shoes - 2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry)
       


       
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #1
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #2
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #3
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #4
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #5
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #6
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #7
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #8
      2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry) - Tuesday #9
       
      Adam Svensson with new model of Puma golf shoes - 2021 Wichita Open (Korn Ferry)
       

       
        • Like
      • 3 replies
    • 2021 Palmetto Championship @ Congaree - Discussion and Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       

       
      2021 Palmetto Championship @ Congaree - Tuesday #1
      2021 Palmetto Championship @ Congaree - Tuesday #2
      2021 Palmetto Championship @ Congaree - Tuesday #3
      2021 Palmetto Championship @ Congaree - Tuesday #4
      2021 Palmetto Championship @ Congaree - Tuesday #5
      2021 Palmetto Championship @ Congaree - Tuesday #6
       
       

       
       
      Bryson Nimmer's Bettinardi putter - 2021 Palmetto Championship @ Congaree
      Dustin Johnson's got the putter try-outs going on - 2021 Palmetto Championship @ Congaree
      Scotty Cameron putters - 2021 Palmetto Championship @ Congaree
       
       
       
       
        • Like
      • 35 replies
    • 2021 Memorial - Discussion & Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       
       
       

       
      2021 Memorial - Tuesday #1
      2021 Memorial - Tuesday #2
      2021 Memorial - Tuesday #3
      2021 Memorial - Tuesday #4
      2021 Memorial - Tuesday #5
      2021 Memorial - Tuesday #6
      2021 Memorial - Tuesday #7
      2021 Memorial - Tuesday #8
      2021 Memorial - Tuesday #9
       
       
       

       
       
       

       
      Piretti putter & cover for Hideki - 2021 Memorial
      Odyssey putters - 2021 Memorial
      New Odyssey (play like a kid) putter over - 2021 Memorial
      Bettinardi putters & covers - 2021 Memorial
      Ben An's Cameron putter - 2021 Memorial
       
       
      • 27 replies
    • 2021 Charles Schwab Challenge  - Discussion & Links
      Please put any questions or comments here
       
       

       
      2021 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #1
      2021 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #2
      2021 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #3
      2021 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #4
      2021 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #5
      2021 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #6
      2021 Charles Schwab Challenge - Tuesday #7
       
       

       
      2021 Charles Schwab Challenge winner will get this Power wagon
      Eric Compton testing Axis 1 putter - 2021 Charles Schwab Challenge
      Cameron putter and new cover - 2021 Charles Schwab Challenge
       
       
      • 7 replies
    • Phil Mickelson Winning WITB from the 2021 PGA Championship
      Phil Mickelson's Winning What's In The Bag? 
       
      Driver: Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond (6 degrees @5.5 , green dot cog) Fujikura Ventus Black 6 X (47.9 inches)
      2-wood: TaylorMade “Original One” Mini Driver (11.5 degrees) Fujikura Ventus Black 7 X
      4-wood: (Sunday only): Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero (16.5 degrees) Fujikura Ventus Blue 8 X
      Irons: Callaway X Forged UT (16) (Thursday-Saturday), Callaway X21 UT Proto (19 degrees @20.5, 25), Callaway Apex MB ‘21 (small groove) (6-PW) Shafts- 16* MCA MMT 105 TX, KBS Tour V 125 S+
      Wedges: Callaway PM Grind ’19 “Raw” ([email protected]*, 55-12*, 60-10*) Shafts: KBS Tour V 125 S+
      Putter: Odyssey Milled Blade “Phil Mickelson” SuperStroke Pistol GT Tour
      Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X (Triple Track)
      Grips: Golf Pride MCC
       
      Link to more pics on the front-page... https://www.golfwrx.com/654804/phil-mickelson-witb-2021-may-pga-championship/
       

       
       
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 86 replies

×
×
  • Create New...