What is up with Rory McIlroy?

Draw Driver

Just sling that push hook around. I really don't get why his wedges are so bad. Hitting flighted wedges basically feels like you're drawing them. I think it has something to do with the shorter shafted clubs changing his visuals

G425lst Ventus Blk 6x

AI Smoke TD 15

TM Rescue 16

MP20 HMB 4/3 Modus 120x

MP20 MB 5-P Modus 120x

T22 51S 55D T24 59V s400

Oworks 7s

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/13/2021 at 4:17 PM, sonnygolf said:

Its a huge myth that Rory does not work hard. He works perhaps harder than 99% of the golfers. In the gym, on the range, practises all day every single time. He was like that as a kid - he will spend 15 hours a day and they had to drag him off the course. He is very deidcated and into the whole fitness perfection thing.  

When Rory says winning is not everything - that just him trying to take the pressure off himself. Deep down its bs! He WANTS to win badly. You better believe that.  Lets stop trying to make him a John Daly or some rock and roll guy out partying. He is a golf nerd just like Bryso on and many of the guys on tour. 

Golf is hard simple as that - you can work all you like but its hard! 

Totally agree. His "not winning is OK" line was merely a (poor) attempt at reverse psychology. He's trying to convince himself that's true, not anyone else. 

I've never bought into this idea that once McIlroy became rich / got married he stopped caring or working hard. It's actually the complete opposite. He wants to win majors so badly, he can't get out of his own way. He's completely lost the ability to play relaxed, free-flowing golf like we saw from him early in his career. He puts way too much pressure on himself, to the extent that he doesn't look like he even really enjoys golf anymore.

He's now so lost, that he's gone searching for answers in all the wrong places hence his absurd pursuit of more distance instead of focussing on his weaknesses and dedicating himself to improving his game from 175 in in the same way DJ did. 

IMO he needs to go back to basics and see a psychologist that can help him find a way to stop caring and stop beating himself up when he doesn't win. In short, he needs to say "f*$k it", stop obsessing about the outcome, stop overthinking things and just go and have fun again.

Edited by MMB1500

Whats up with Rory you ask? I believe that he chased Bryson for more distance and fell into the trap and failed. Saying that, didn't this slump happen before when he joined Nike? 

i agree with @MMB1500 he needs to go back to basics starting with his putting, get that sorted and then work getting back focusing on accuracy as distance will come. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, indianagolf2 said:

He has a huge ego...and wants that God like distance

I don’t see Rory having a huge ego. Rory isn’t Brooks. Yeah, he got swept up in trying to add tons of yards really quickly. Rory did that because he thought he would need it to compete with Bryson. A lot of Tour players were doing that. Jonathan Wall had a player on his podcast over the winter who said that half the Tour players would be using 47”+ drivers by the end of this year. That’s not going to materialize, but pretty much the entire Tour, not just Rory, was getting into a heightened distance craze. It seems that craze has slightly cooled off.

Edited by Holy Moses
  • Like 1

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

For someone who is that good, he can’t seem to get out of his own head now. As has been mentioned previously, he might say that it’s all good, there are bigger issues out there, but I think he wants it so bad, that he puts way too much pressure on himself - I mean, I don’t know the numbers, but it seems that he fades badly on sundays when he’s in contention.

It’s also astounding just how poor he is on his approaches now compared to the rest of the field. Even when he does hit a good drive and is a short iron in, he doesn’t give himself that many birdie opportunities.

Might want to have a word with Spieth - didn’t he also try the same thing chasing more distance?

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet LS Driver/3 Wood Kai'li Blue/White S

Cobra Aerojet 5W at 19.5 deg - Kai'li Blue S

Srizon ZX 4 iron - Recoil 95 F4

Cobra MIM Tour 5-PW - Recoil 95 F4

Cleveland 50 RTX 6 Zipcore, Callaway Jaws 56

Cleveland 60 CBX Zipcore

Odyssey WhiteHot OG Double Wide/Cleveland Frontline 8

8 hours ago, MMB1500 said:

He hasn't won a major for 7 years. He's definitely panicking. 

I’m inclined to agree. And it may have clouded his judgement leading to the distance chase that no one can seem to understand but him, given that he was already exceedingly long. 

Still young, but the higher up the mountain, the more treacherous the path. 

I believe he can do it. But not like this. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, MMB1500 said:

Totally agree. His "not winning is OK" line was merely a (poor) attempt at reverse psychology. He's trying to convince himself that's true, not anyone else. 

I've never bought into this idea that once McIlroy became rich / got married he stopped caring or working hard. It's actually the complete opposite. He wants to win majors so badly, he can't get out of his own way. He's completely lost the ability to play relaxed, free-flowing golf like we saw from him early in his career. He puts way too much pressure on himself, to the extent that he doesn't look like he even really enjoys golf anymore.

He's now so lost, that he's gone searching for answers in all the wrong places hence his absurd pursuit of more distance instead of focussing on his weaknesses and dedicating himself to improving his game from 175 in in the same way DJ did. 

IMO he needs to go back to basics and see a psychologist that can help him find a way to stop caring and stop beating himself up when he doesn't win. In short, he needs to say "f*$k it", stop obsessing about the outcome, stop overthinking things and just go and have fun again.

I’ll disagree.

I think Rory 1.0 put a ton of pressure on himself. 

And he loved it. He ate pressure for breakfast and spit out the bones along with those of his competition.

No fear. I remember an interview where he actually said that he knew he was great when he was really young but wasn’t hitting it far enough. But when the length came he wasn’t afraid of anybody.

He wanted the pressure and had a “steel cage match” attitude. Somebodies dying and it ain’t gonna be me.

But now, I’m not seeing it. I don’t fault him at all, it’s totally natural. And he could get it back. The talents not going anywhere. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

I don’t see Rory having a huge ego. Rory isn’t Brooks. Yeah, he got swept up in trying to add tons of yards really quickly. Rory did that because he thought he would need it to compete with Bryson. A lot of Tour players were doing that. Jonathan Wall had a player on his podcast over the winter who said that half the Tour players would be using 47”+ drivers by the end of this year. That’s not going to materialize, but pretty much the entire Tour, not just Rory, was getting into a heightened distance craze. It seems that craze has slightly cooled off.

Cam Champ uses a 43.5" driver and lead the field.....just sayin

All I think he needs to do is stop tinkering. How many times in the last few years has he changed putters? Changed how he grips the putter? Now he's chasing Bryson. I honestly believe if he just goes out and plays, he'll find it.

• Like 1

Cobra King f9/Fujikura Atmos Red TS 60S
TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
Adams Idea Pro 20*/Aldila Blue Bayou 80S
Srixon 565 4-PW / Nippon tour modus 105S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3

He’s done winning majors. Move on.  

• Like 1

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

When a superstar athlete still in their prime begins to struggle, its usually always one of two things:

1) Injury

2) Personal life

But also, I think we need to take into account that the current landscape on Tour is A LOT deeper talent-wise than it was even 5 years ago.  Back in 2016, when Rory won the FedEx Cup, the top 10 on the points list that year was Rory, DJ, Patrick Reed, Adam Scott, Paul Casey, Jason Day, Ryan Moore, Kevin Chappell, Jordan Spieth, and Russell Knox.  Compare that list to the guys now currently in the top 10 this year and last season.  There's no comparison - its so much better and deeper.  Right now there's just a bunch of guys who are just better than Rory.

Edited by JaNelson38

https://www.golfchannel.com/article/joe-posnanski/does-age-really-matter-golf-yes-it-does

If you compare major winners since 2014, it remains pretty consistent with the 50 years prior to 2014.  He could win one or two more, but would be beating the odds which for a player of his talent, one would expect.

He definitely has under produced as the phenom he was projected to be.

What's wild to me at this point, is as a raw talent, I'm not sure that I would put more than a few guys on his level. His ceiling appears to be so incredibly high.

But when it's major time these days, he hardly ever crosses my mind anymore as a possible contender.

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5* @ 9.5- Diamana DF 60TX

Titleist TSR3 15* - Tensei AV Raw Blue 85TX

Titleist TS2 21* @ 20.75* - Diamana BF 80TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW - DGX100 Tour Issue

TaylorMade MG3 50/56/60 - DGS400 Tour Issue

Ping PLD Prime Tyne 4

Titleist ProV1x

12 hours ago, 02bluesuperroo said:

Anyone proclaiming he'll never win another major again when he's 31 years old and has at least 10 more years of high performance golf under his belt is just being a troll.

Many of the all-time greats quit winning majors at a relatively early age, including Arnold Palmer, Tom Watson and many others.  Rory is on a 7 year drought, his game is heading the wrong direction, and he has lost his confidence.  He seems to have a negative outlook and is always making excuses.  Sure he could rebound and win 5 more, but something tells me it may never happen again.   

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

On 4/11/2021 at 9:01 PM, SwooshLT said:

Cam Champ uses a 43.5" driver and lead the field.....just sayin

Can you point us to where you got those stats from? 43.5? Led the field in what? Ball speed in previous years? 

Ping has his driver length at 45'' by the way. https://ping.com/en-us/pros/pga-tour/cameron-champ 

5 minutes ago, PowerPlayer said:

Can you point us to where you got those stats from? 43.5? Led the field in what? Ball speed in previous years? 

Ping has his driver length at 45'' by the way. https://ping.com/en-us/pros/pga-tour/cameron-champ 

Champ led the field in driving distance as the Masters this week. Used a 44.25 inch driver. Champ In the past has used a 43.5 inch driver.

https://golf.com/gear/putters/hideki-masters-tiger-woods-masters-gear-change/

Cameron Champ returned to Project X’s HZRDUS Smoke Green in his Ping G425 LST driver (9.95 degrees actual loft) after testing the shaft at home in advance of the Masters. The combination of a familiar shaft and shorter length — 44.25 inches instead of 45 inches — produced a more stable driver with less curve.

Champ led the field in driving distance (323.8 yards) and ranked 12th in driving accuracy en route to a T26 showing.

https://www.masters.com/en_US/scores/stats/drives_avg.html

Capture.PNG.ba8a0a1b79a69f68d038bb99b83dd42a.PNG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1