2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

What is up with Rory McIlroy?

Draw Driver

16 hours ago, grm24 said:

Champ led the field in driving distance as the Masters this week. Used a 44.25 inch driver. Champ In the past has used a 43.5 inch driver.

https://golf.com/gear/putters/hideki-masters-tiger-woods-masters-gear-change/

Cameron Champ returned to Project X’s HZRDUS Smoke Green in his Ping G425 LST driver (9.95 degrees actual loft) after testing the shaft at home in advance of the Masters. The combination of a familiar shaft and shorter length — 44.25 inches instead of 45 inches — produced a more stable driver with less curve.

Champ led the field in driving distance (323.8 yards) and ranked 12th in driving accuracy en route to a T26 showing.

https://www.masters.com/en_US/scores/stats/drives_avg.html

Capture.PNG.ba8a0a1b79a69f68d038bb99b83dd42a.PNG

Thanks for the context. Pretty wild to see Palmer up there.

he'll be 32 in a few weeks and hasn't won a major in almost 7 years...Tiger who he immensely looks up to won major #14 at age 32 and major #15 at age 43. the field is deeper now than those 11 years Tiger didn't win one...Rory also knows he's not half the player Tiger was....put it all together and i don't see how he can't not panic lol. I'm sure he'll win at least one more major but right now is dark times for Rory since he's lost his swing and his stroke

Edited by 1putt2win2

On 4/11/2021 at 8:01 PM, SwooshLT said:

Cam Champ uses a 43.5" driver and lead the field.....just sayin

He's an anomaly. Bryson is leading the Tour in distance and is putting it new drivers and longer shafts month to month. 

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

...who? lol i jest. 

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”

On 4/12/2021 at 10:52 PM, dlygrisse said:

Many of the all-time greats quit winning majors at a relatively early age, including Arnold Palmer, Tom Watson and many others.  Rory is on a 7 year drought, his game is heading the wrong direction, and he has lost his confidence.  He seems to have a negative outlook and is always making excuses.  Sure he could rebound and win 5 more, but something tells me it may never happen again.   

I didn't say anything about 5....  😆

50 minutes ago, 02bluesuperroo said:

I didn't say anything about 5....  😆

Fair enough, I do think the odds are he wont win another, although I wouldn't be a large amount of money on that.  Another could fall in his lap, like it did for Ernie Els at the Open with Adam Scott soiled the bed that one year.  

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

9 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

Distance helps but doesn't win tournaments.....Hank Kuehne would have been dominant if so......

Right, but we’re not comparing him to Bryson or Rory but shorter Bryson to longer Bryson

Ping Vault Arna

The worst thing is that Rory had what you can’t teach.

He was bloodthirsty. And when he saw he could tear apart golf courses and his foes, he got even hungrier.

Then, he got into some attitude like he has nothing to prove.

But now, getting embarrassed like he did last week, he could slide right into Rickie land.

Insane, you say?

Rory was #1 in early 2020

This season in 12 events, he has zero top-3 finishes. He has 3 missed cuts including the Players and the 1st major of the year.

Hes now #13 owgr. The last time he was ranked that low was in

Hop skip and a jump to #20 somewhere between Casey and Westwood. 

Edited by bscinstnct
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Holy Moses said:

Right, but we’re not comparing him to Bryson or Rory but shorter Bryson to longer Bryson

BAD won 5 events BEFORE the transformation.....he was a very good to great golfer.....wedge game and putting far more important but I'm not here to convince you otherwise.....we can agree to disagree on distance 

Rory thinks differently. Watch several instruction videos or interviews and he doesn’t give the same type of responses you hear for other established tour pros. 

At a YouTube staged Taylormade meet up between Rory, Tiger and Jason Day, the boys were pitching around the practice green complex, and Rory basically said that he favored a certain upcoming rules change because then he wouldn’t have to worry about double hitting chip shots. I thought... that’s a odd thing to say, Rors....

So I don’t know how this all works out for Ol’ Rors. In 2009, his swing was upright and beautiful how he came straight down on the ball and covered it (this swing was used in the make believe Golf Channel Open Championship for the Ages); and by 2021, he  he’s so flat, low, and shallow. 

High hands, Rors, will lead you back to Numero uno. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

BAD won 5 events BEFORE the transformation.....he was a very good to great golfer.....wedge game and putting far more important but I'm not here to convince you otherwise.....we can agree to disagree on distance 

It's way easier to gain strokes driving the ball than improving your wedging

Ping Vault Arna

3 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

It's way easier to gain strokes driving the ball than improving your wedging

Sure it is. Take a look down this list and tell that to all the bottom dwellers: https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.109.html. Then cross reference the bottom dwellers' names on that list with this list and see where they rank: https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.101.html. Interestingly enough, their names are top of the leaderboard here: https://www.pgatour.com/stats/stat.074.html. But yeah, the inference here is that they should probably work on their wedges. 

On 4/15/2021 at 12:34 AM, OBbogey5 said:

Rory thinks differently. Watch several instruction videos or interviews and he doesn’t give the same type of responses you hear for other established tour pros. 

At a YouTube staged Taylormade meet up between Rory, Tiger and Jason Day, the boys were pitching around the practice green complex, and Rory basically said that he favored a certain upcoming rules change because then he wouldn’t have to worry about double hitting chip shots. I thought... that’s a odd thing to say, Rors....

So I don’t know how this all works out for Ol’ Rors. In 2009, his swing was upright and beautiful how he came straight down on the ball and covered it (this swing was used in the make believe Golf Channel Open Championship for the Ages); and by 2021, he  he’s so flat, low, and shallow. 

The obsession with shallow is a disaster for some players. Spieth and Rory are at the top of that list. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can someone please explain what made young Rory great?

The Rory i see now just seems like a slightly above average pro. When he's on he's driving it great. But his iron game seems average and his short game and putting can look brutal at times.

Hes got probably the most aethestic swing on tour, but that's about it. What am I missing?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, PowerFade36 said:

Can someone please explain what made young Rory great?

The Rory i see now just seems like a slightly above average pro. When he's on he's driving it great. But his iron game seems average and his short game and putting can look brutal at times.

Hes got probably the most aethestic swing on tour, but that's about it. What am I missing?

The only thing you're missing is that he's incredibly mentally fragile as well. Not really a good combo with a game that is barely even average by tour standards from 175 and in. 

• Like 1

On 4/15/2021 at 10:47 PM, SwooshLT said:

Right because Hideki was the longest and most accurate.....you guys are a trip...

I don’t know what to tell you. Pro’s separate themselves from each other and every level of handicap the most in approach shots and driving. SG data shows this. 

that doesn’t mean someone can’t rack up their putt footage over a 4 day tournament and win

5 hours ago, ATLgopher said:

I don’t know what to tell you. Pro’s separate themselves from each other and every level of handicap the most in approach shots and driving. SG data shows this. 

that doesn’t mean someone can’t rack up their putt footage over a 4 day tournament and win

I understand being short is a detriment to winning golf but being the absolute longest isn't a guarantee for anything.....my feeling is BAD's obsession is killing the rest of his game , even with his intermittent success 

5 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

I understand being short is a detriment to winning golf but being the absolute longest isn't a guarantee for anything.....my feeling is BAD's obsession is killing the rest of his game , even with his intermittent success 

We can agree to disagree on this, but I actually think BAD's obsessive nature helps his game. He's on a quest to become the absolute best golfer he can be. I still think he's a work in progress with his new body/swing, closer with his Driver, but still trying to dial in the minute distances with irons and wedges, hence why i think he's been way off on his approach shots lately. Flying over greens with scoring irons, short or errant with his chips. And he's won a major this way already.  He will figure this out in the next year or 2 and put it all together.

10 hours ago, PowerFade36 said:

We can agree to disagree on this, but I actually think BAD's obsessive nature helps his game. He's on a quest to become the absolute best golfer he can be. I still think he's a work in progress with his new body/swing, closer with his Driver, but still trying to dial in the minute distances with irons and wedges, hence why i think he's been way off on his approach shots lately. Flying over greens with scoring irons, short or errant with his chips. And he's won a major this way already.  He will figure this out in the next year or 2 and put it all together.

My only concern is his body withstanding the Zubick like approach.....he won't last 20+ yrs swinging like this.....jmho

11 hours ago, SwooshLT said:

My only concern is his body withstanding the Zubick like approach.....he won't last 20+ yrs swinging like this.....jmho

I don't think he has even 10 years. He is young now, his body can stand the abuse. I don't see him being able to swing that aggressively beyond that. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/15/2021 at 12:34 AM, OBbogey5 said:

I subscribe to this.  His swing looks too flat now.  He should be more Jack Nicklaus, Tom Watson, and less Ben Hogan.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

On 4/13/2021 at 11:37 PM, 1putt2win2 said:

he'll be 32 in a few weeks and hasn't won a major in almost 7 years...Tiger who he immensely looks up to won major #14 at age 32 and major #15 at age 43. the field is deeper now than those 11 years Tiger didn't win one...Rory also knows he's not half the player Tiger was....put it all together and i don't see how he can't not panic lol. I'm sure he'll win at least one more major but right now is dark times for Rory since he's lost his swing and his stroke

Yeah but in that time frame you mentioned Tiger was injured for extended periods of time. If you add it up, Tiger missed more then 3 seasons worth of majors due to injury.  Rory is a whole another case.