2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

What is up with Rory McIlroy?

Draw Driver

3 hours ago, elwhippy said:

He puts some much pressure on himself to play well every week. Needs a way to chill out. 

He said the opposite recently

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

1 hour ago, Pleasedwith3putts said:

He caught one of the worst breaks I can ever remember seeing at a key time on 15. Talk about momentum breaker.

I can recall another time, just a few years back, that someone got a horrible break after hitting the flagstick on the 15th hole that caused quite a commotion...

• Like 1

A bag of left-handed junk.
Driver: SIM Max 10.5 Blue Smoke RDX 6.5
Apex UW 19* Black Smoke RDX 6.5
4-PW: Callaway Prototype PX 6.5 LZ
60, 56, 52: Callaway Mack Daddy, KBS Tour S
Cameron Select Newport 2

2 minutes ago, DON SVO said:

I can recall another time, just a few years back, that someone got a horrible break after hitting the flagstick on the 15th hole that caused quite a commotion...

I also remember a guy that was thinking ahead enough to have his Caddie pull it. Fans were pissed off especially in the forums.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MUNIGRIT said:

I also remember a guy that was thinking ahead enough to have his Caddie pull it. Fans were pissed off especially in the forums.

I happen to also be a lefty and I like that guy 😉 🙂

A bag of left-handed junk.
Driver: SIM Max 10.5 Blue Smoke RDX 6.5
Apex UW 19* Black Smoke RDX 6.5
4-PW: Callaway Prototype PX 6.5 LZ
60, 56, 52: Callaway Mack Daddy, KBS Tour S
Cameron Select Newport 2

2 hours ago, Pleasedwith3putts said:

He caught one of the worst breaks I can ever remember seeing at a key time on 15. Talk about momentum breaker.

I remember reading that after hitting the flag several times, Ben Hogan felt that if you're good enough to hit the flag, be smart enough to aim 6 inches right or left of it.

• Haha 3

He doesn't have the passion he once had. He's grown up and has other responsibilities. I'm not saying he doesn't want to be the best, again. I am saying he spent his whole life getting to the top and spent almost every conscious moment on golf. Now, he's a grown asse d man who has a family and more responsibility than ever and doesn't have the time nor inclination to be that devoted again. As much as he says he wants to, he can't.

It's a much larger struggle to stay on top than to get there.

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

59 minutes ago, oikos1 said:

And Justin Thomas thinks this is a good thing.  I don't know, seems like Rory has full blown demons in his head now. 

I've said all along he needs to find a way to care less about the outcome. He's at his best when he doesn't gaf. 

Unfortunately we're well past that now. He tries all sorts of ways to talk himself into a new frame of mind, but it never works. He's wasted the best years of his career because of his mental fragility and now young guns like Morikawa and Koepka are in his head.

• Like 2

The pay disparities in the DP Championship is amazing. Normally second place payout is more than half of 1st place. Rory went from on the verge of getting $3m to $180k. Is this why he is so pissed off?

Prize money breakdown for each player

1. Collin Morikawa – $3,000,000

2. Matt Fitzpatrick – $1,000,000

3. Alexander Bjork – $666,666

4. Nicolai Hojgaard – $375,600

5. Robert Macintyre – $300,000

6. Ian Poulter – $254,400

7. Dean Burmester – $210,000

8. Rory McIlroy – $180,000

9. Adri Arnaus – $150,000

10.Paul Casey -$134,400

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMB1500 said:

I've said all along he needs to find a way to care less about the outcome. He's at his best when he doesn't gaf. 

Unfortunately we're well past that now. He tries all sorts of ways to talk himself into a new frame of mind, but it never works. He's wasted the best years of his career because of his mental fragility and now young guns like Morikawa and Koepka are in his head.

I don’t agree, it’s the first time in a while he looks 100% interested. Big year for Rors next year.

• Like 1

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

2 hours ago, khalespace said:

The pay disparities in the DP Championship is amazing. Normally second place payout is more than half of 1st place. Rory went from on the verge of getting $3m to $180k. Is this why he is so pissed off?

Prize money breakdown for each player

1. Collin Morikawa – $3,000,000

2. Matt Fitzpatrick – $1,000,000

3. Alexander Bjork – $666,666

4. Nicolai Hojgaard – $375,600

5. Robert Macintyre – $300,000

6. Ian Poulter – $254,400

7. Dean Burmester – $210,000

8. Rory McIlroy – $180,000

9. Adri Arnaus – $150,000

10.Paul Casey -$134,400

He’s got all that money times 20 in his bank account. He’s mad he shot 74 and didn’t win. 

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

9 hours ago, Pleasedwith3putts said:

Even if the ball didn't hit the pin, there is no guarantee birdie because it may have rolled 5, 10 or even 15 feet from the pin. So he lost 1 or possibly 2 strokes. He LOST by 5 strokes.

Edited by khalespace
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, khalespace said:

Even if the ball didn't hit the pin, there is no guarantee birdie because it may have rolled 5, 10 or even 15 feet from the pin. So he lost 1 or possibly 2 strokes. He LOST by 5 strokes.

He had quite a bit of backspin on that shot when it hit the flag so I think it would have been a good shot at birdie. As far as the rest of the round it was because of that shot. He probably would have birdied a couple more had he got it done on #15 but the momentum was killed with the bogey. Happens to almost everyone when you get the s+it end of the stick. Just the mental part of the game we like so much. 

• Like 2

Srixon ZX7/Cobra Radspeed XB

ZX 3w Riptide/Cobra radspeed motore F3

ZX 19/22 hy Riptide 

Cobra FT 5-Pw,Aw KBS/ Cobra F9 5-pw,aw 

Cbx ZC 54/Cbx FF 58 Dgold

Cobra sport 45/Cleveland elevado

Srixon QST/Titleist Pro V1 or whatever urethane balls I may find 

He's not winning. That's what is wrong. It's not a cause and effect, the game is there he's just not getting it done. 

Improve the putting, drive it better, switch your coach, whatever man just win and non of it matters. Golf is hard. I'd much rather be Rory than 99% of other pro golfers. 

Oh and he needs a new shirt. 

10 hours ago, khalespace said:

He lost 2 strokes there, 3 putted the next forcing the issue and then hit one miles right on 18 as by that point he's gone from the adrenaline of being in the hunt to deflated. I'd back Rory to make 4 on 18 all day long if he needed it, the tournament was done by then. That's 5 shots right there and without the extra pressure that would have been on CM. MOMENTUM

Edited by Pleasedwith3putts
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, MMB1500 said:

Can’t agree with that - he has spent the last 5-6 years telling himself that Golf doesn’t matter that much to him, there are more fulfilling things in life (and maybe he is right). The Ryder Cup was a turning point for him through. Realises that his skill set is above and beyond his peers and those have surpassed him results wise in that time.

From playing some of the worst golf we could imagine him playing up to and at the Ryder Cup, he has come out and managed to get a win in Vegas and post a solid finish in Dubai which could of and should have been better. The frustration at the finish was evident but I would rather see that him coming off the course to tell us that it was OK not winning and he was away to juggle and do some meditation. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

20 hours ago, Pleasedwith3putts said:

He did and it was brutal bad luck but how he responded is what really broke his round.  He carried that misfortune throughout the remaining holes and just looked like he was feeling sorry for himself.  He went for broke in a self-pity type of way and he always falls apart when he does that because the shots don't come off.  He would have been better off playing his normal game.  It is a contrast to some of his peers who would have gone for broke in a more positive and determined way - Morikawa is in a different class mentally.  Rory is carrying some serious baggage at the business end of tournaments especially when it gets tough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndersUK said:

He did and it was brutal bad luck but how he responded is what really broke his round.  He carried that misfortune throughout the remaining holes and just looked like he was feeling sorry for himself.  He went for broke in a self-pity type of way and he always falls apart when he does that because the shots don't come off.  He would have been better off playing his normal game.  It is a contrast to some of his peers who would have gone for broke in a more positive and determined way - Morikawa is in a different class mentally.  Rory is carrying some serious baggage at the business end of tournaments especially when it gets tough.

I totally agree, when things are going his way he is imperious, but never one to gut a round out. In fairness I think a lot of pros would have taken 15 as a setback they would have struggled to recover from, but with Rory you know the difference between him making birdie there and an unfortunate bogey is amplified, he has no interest in second place either. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Pleasedwith3putts said:

I totally agree, when things are going his way he is imperious, but never one to gut a round out. In fairness I think a lot of pros would have taken 15 as a setback they would have struggled to recover from, but with Rory you know the difference between him making birdie there and an unfortunate bogey is amplified, he has no interest in second place either. 

Yep, and with the talent he has I don't blame him for having no interest in 2nd place.  He just needs to change his mental approach when the luck is not going his way.  His caddy should have seen his reaction and told him "so ******* what, get on with it, you are Rory ******* Mcllroy.  Stiff that bunker shot to the hole and birdy the next.  Lets go already".   Tiger and others do this instinctively.

Unfortunately it’s 20% mental. But it’s 80% skills

Specifically putting/short game. Streaky putter who, even at this point in his career, sounds pretty lost in finding confidence.

I mean look at this from May. Sounds like he’s still grasping. 

“Well, one thing I’ve found is that my putting has never matched up to the rest of my game. I’ve been wooden and technical on this side, and free-flowing on the other.’”

From there, they went to a green — with a putter, sand wedge and 5-wood. 

“And he got me to putt from eight feet,” McIlroy said in the Independent. “I hit three putts with the putter and holed one of them; three with the sand wedge and holed two of them; and I holed three in a row with the 5-wood.”

https://golf.com/instruction/the-mind-trick-rory-mcilroy-improve-putting/?amp=1

It stinks cause Rory’s ball striking, driving, long irons, I mean, he’s up there with the best in history. And if he’s on, nobody can lay a glove on him tee to green. But, mediocre to poor putting and the confidence buster that comes along with it, can often be too much to overcome with his ball striking. 

On 11/22/2021 at 6:05 PM, tomuch23 said:

He had quite a bit of backspin on that shot when it hit the flag so I think it would have been a good shot at birdie. As far as the rest of the round it was because of that shot. He probably would have birdied a couple more had he got it done on #15 but the momentum was killed with the bogey. Happens to almost everyone when you get the s+it end of the stick. Just the mental part of the game we like so much. 

Agree. I’ve said it a million times.  Momentum is a huge part of competitive golf.  That’s why it’s important to see a few putts go in early.  If you believe they’ll drop. They will. If you think they won’t. They absolutely will not.  

i for one liked that he was pissed and ripped his shirt  etc after.  Shows he’s on task.  To me anger is a very valid emotion.  This new age BS that wants you to deny that emotion is cost prohibitive to great competitors. And I feel like he fell into that trap for a few years with his self help books and  Feng shui approach to thinking.  The greatest things  in the world were conquered with the right balance of strategy , work and anger.  So glad to see that he’s finally mad. Now he will succeed.  

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock