One length irons WOW!!!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you haven't played them, you don't know. If you've demo-ed them but haven't played them, you don't know. If you've played them a little bit, you don't know.   You don't.   There

I went to a Cobra Golf Demo/fitting day Friday to satisfy my curiosity about the one length irons. They had a set made up with their King forged Tec One head. They had a KBS lite steel shaft, regular

I disagree. I think the wedges would be okay once you're used to them, the real issue is gapping in the whole set. Bryson plays all of this lofts a club strong - his 8 iron is 33 degrees @ 6 iron leng

Posted Images

Why would I ever care what Brandon thinks?

With that said, I think SL is flawed because of the long wedges but will be giving the Wishon 3/8 length increment a shot to hopefully enhance consistency with the longer clubs. 

• Haha 1

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Titleist TSi2 9° AD IZ 6s
Titleist TS2 16.5°  EF White 65s
Ping G410 21° EF White 75s
Ping G410 22°/25°/30° Hybrid Tensei White
Mizuno HM 7-PW Recoil 95r
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

Ping Sigma 2 Valor

53 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

I disagree. I think the wedges would be okay once you're used to them, the real issue is gapping in the whole set. Bryson plays all of this lofts a club strong - his 8 iron is 33 degrees @ 6 iron length. So the announcers are saying how far he can bash it blah blah blah but realistically you're just able to hit your shorter clubs further. The real problem comes in the long end of the bag. I have yet to see a test on trackman or quad where someone of normal speed can elevate the long irons/hit them far enough to justify this bag setup. The real way to do it is switch to hybrids in the long end for most slower players. Getting a sub 25 degree club to a 100 foot apex at minimum with a 37" shaft in it isn't going to happen for most ams. Even Bryson goes to driving iron style clubs in his 4 and 5 iron to try to get the launch and distances matched up. 

https://www.golfwrx.com/615978/golfwrx-insider-inside-the-bag-of-bryson-dechambeau/

I agree that hybrid style clubs are the answer for the longer clubs for us normal golfers. 

• Thanks 1

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Titleist TSi2 9° AD IZ 6s
Titleist TS2 16.5°  EF White 65s
Ping G410 21° EF White 75s
Ping G410 22°/25°/30° Hybrid Tensei White
Mizuno HM 7-PW Recoil 95r
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

Ping Sigma 2 Valor

2 hours ago, Wooderson said:

Why would I ever care what Brandon thinks?

With that said, I think SL is flawed because of the long wedges but will be giving the Wishon 3/8 length increment a shot to hopefully enhance consistency with the longer clubs. 

56 minutes ago, TigerInTheWoods said:

I disagree. I think the wedges would be okay once you're used to them, the real issue is gapping in the whole set. Bryson plays all of this lofts a club strong - his 8 iron is 33 degrees @ 6 iron length. So the announcers are saying how far he can bash it blah blah blah but realistically you're just able to hit your shorter clubs further. The real problem comes in the long end of the bag. I have yet to see a test on trackman or quad where someone of normal speed can elevate the long irons/hit them far enough to justify this bag setup. The real way to do it is switch to hybrids in the long end for most slower players. Getting a sub 25 degree club to a 100 foot apex at minimum with a 37" shaft in it isn't going to happen for most ams. Even Bryson goes to driving iron style clubs in his 4 and 5 iron to try to get the launch and distances matched up. 

https://www.golfwrx.com/615978/golfwrx-insider-inside-the-bag-of-bryson-dechambeau/

I agree with both here - The 3/8 inch increment is the "rule of thumb" Dave Tutelman method of MOI matching for club building - I think this would help getting iron shafts in a more compact range.

I played single length for about a year and for me it was probably more technique. I could get the long irons elevated with putting the ball forward. But think the driving type iron is better for long irons in SL- 

In the end SL didn't reduce my Hcp any, but they were very consistent. So in the chase to better my game I went back to traditional length distance irons (P790) and enjoying them. 

I think if Manufacturers spent as much time and effort into single length, it might be more viable for the masses. They won't unless there is more demand than there is now- I will admit that it would help a lot of golfers that have issues with consistency by taking some variables out of the equipment. 

BD has broken the barrier of SL being a gimmicky with his results. It is definitely on the list of choices out there.     

Yeah, I like the concept, I just know my gaps in the top end would suffer and relearning to chip would also take a while.

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 4-6 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

3 hours ago, TechBroker said:

What do you chip with? 

A choked down 36.5 PW. Choking down on a 7 iron is a 9 at best. 

Not saying I couldn't do it, but it would be a relearning process is all. I struggle enough with my current bag. 🤣

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

I played the Forged One Length (the ones Bryson uses) for a season. I played them from 4 iron through LW -- the whole shebang.

My results are the same as most people's. Loved them from 9 iron through 6 iron. But gap with 5 iron was not large enough relative to the 6 iron, and the 4 iron was just inconsistent, useless, low bullets. Meanwhile, the PW and other wedges went up into the clouds, and pitch shots were absolutely impossible. Totally inconsistent. I actually enjoyed chipping with the one-length wedges, but pitch shots were a nightmare. 

Ping G425 Max 1w Ventus Blue

Ping G425 LST 3w Ventus Blue

Mizuno Hmb 2i 4i Ventus Blue

Mizuno MP20 5i-Pi Modus 120

Mizuno T20 50 54 58 DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 || Titleist Pro V1

1 minute ago, uglande said:

I played the Forged One Length (the ones Bryson uses) for a season. I played them from 4 iron through LW -- the whole shebang.

My results are the same as most people's. Loved them from 9 iron through 6 iron. But gap with 5 iron was not large enough relative to the 6 iron, and the 4 iron was just inconsistent, useless, low bullets. Meanwhile, the PW and other wedges went up into the clouds, and pitch shots were absolutely impossible. Totally inconsistent. I actually enjoyed chipping with the one-length wedges, but pitch shots were a nightmare. 

In the wedges, in order to keep the swing weights consistent, the heads are very light, and I think that's what produced the inconsistency and lack of a solid feel.

Ping G425 Max 1w Ventus Blue

Ping G425 LST 3w Ventus Blue

Mizuno Hmb 2i 4i Ventus Blue

Mizuno MP20 5i-Pi Modus 120

Mizuno T20 50 54 58 DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 || Titleist Pro V1

On 3/14/2021 at 10:20 AM, LPSISCO said:

I tried the single length Cobra irons last year. The 4,5,6,7 were really easy to hit for me; the 4 and 5 were much better than a normal set. But the wedges were horrible, could not get used to them at all. 

I’d like to try a 2 length system - 4 thru 7 at a 7 iron length, 8 thru Gap at PW length. 

Pinhawk has a dual length system available now, with slightly shorter 6i thru wedges and 5i length on the 3-5 irons.  The 6i and 3i are different designs, look to be hollow body, in order to help with the distance and possibly trajectory.

Sounds intriguing.  From my perspective, I've usually played my wedges, at least up thru GW lofts, at same as 9i length; the PW/GW and maybe SW at 36.5" wouldn't bother me much, if at all.

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

I did my new PW 1/2" down from my 9i but my gamers might be the same length, I need to look.

The dual length sounds interesting.

<edit> my new 9i is 37. My gamer PW and 9i are the same length and that is a half inch shorter than my new clubs.

Edited by lefthack

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

My LW, SW and PW are the same length as my 9i - 36".  I found no issues with that, but having all clubs the same as 6 or 7i is not something I care to even test. 

One-Length irons are not beneficial in the hands of most golfers.  Sure, some people may look to adapting  but most people won't.   One-length irons are IMO extreme.  Of all the years golf clubs have been around, there is an unknown reason why One-length clubs are making a tour debut now, in the hands of one tour player.  BC may be a physics nerd, but that does NOT mean his nerdy perception has discovered something that is transferable to average Joe golfer that struggles at best to hit long irons, and has little short game.  In other words, golfers can't buy a golf game by changing clubs, especially to an extreme configuration.  Golfers should have learned that by now.  Oh, there's the other fact, golfers are NOT working out building muscle like BC to hit those clubs. 

• Thanks 1
  • Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 17' 2i Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 Tensei AV White AM "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 DGS200 "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • ProV1x, AVX, ProV1

I have played a weird setup for years(20+).  My 7 iron is roughly "standard", my irons go down 1/4 to the PW(GW, SW, LW) are the same length.  5* gaps for most.

6 Iron is 1/4 short, 5 iron is 1/2 short, and 4 iron is 1/2 short.  6, 5, 4 all have some lead tape on them, I despise tip weights, I miss toe side.

All this to say the longer wedges aren't a problem, I pull a little head weight out of the hosel when I can, and on the wedges as well.  The GW, SW, LW are all ported as well.  I do play 110 grams shafts normally as well.

• Driver - Epic Max LS
  • 4 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • Hybrid - Ping G400 17*
  • Irons = Srixon ZX4 4 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons = Srixon ZX5 5 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX7 (6-PW) on Recoil 110
  • Wedges - Cleveland 50* mid Zipcore, MD5 54*, 60* Mid Zipcore all on Recoil 110
  • Putters -  Sunset Beach Ocracoke or Mannkrafted MA/66
  • Ball - TP5 or Srixon Z Star 

I currently play the Cobra Forged Tec Black One Length.  I love them.  I play 4-P then standard wedges.  I also play a one length 3 hybrid.  I have no issues with gapping.  I am however thinking about making the switch back to the variable MIM Tours.  Cobra keeps coming up with stuff more in line with Player improvement irons, F9 SZ RAD irons.  The current Forged Tec with the hollow head I don’t like.  And is seems like from what I hear they won’t be coming out with a Players One Length anytime soon.  So I am a little frustrated.  Hits the MIMs this weekend and they are great.  But all in all I really like the one length concept

It seems like there's still too big a gap between concept and execution for most people. 

One of the big selling points of one-length shafts is that players should be able to practice with any iron in the set and have that practice apply to all the others. As many have noted, that doesn't really seem to be the case so far. 

Among all the innovations Bryson has explored, I think his approach to putting is probably the one we hacks could benefit from the most. He has reduced his putting stroke to a machine-like simplicity and spends his practice time working on reading greens and precise distance control. 

• Thanks 1

I do like the concept, but I think it takes a fair amount of fitting club-by-club up front, which you hopefully save in practice down the road. My numbers were miles different hitting a SL pitching wedge vs. my standard set, I'm not exactly sure how much a shaft change could fix that, or if I'd have to change to like a MB from CB. 

TSi3
Mavrik SZ

PXG 0341 21*
MP20 MMC 4 Iron
MP20 MB 5-W
Raw Callaway 53*

Raw Mizuno T20 58*
PM Grind 64*
Special Select Newport 2

I have been playing edel SLS01 irons for going on my 3rd year.  My irons are all 37" long.  I am also 6'4" tall.  I love SL irons for the short irons.  The 7-GW work like magic for me.

That all being said...I use TEE CBX ironwood for my 4 and 5 iron and an 18* cbx119 Hybrid.

I have found what works for me, allows me to feel comfortable over the ball, and heightens my enjoyment of the game. 

Being a taller golfer, I never felt comfortable with anything less than an 8 iron, and as my clubs were always +1"...that pretty much puts me at the 37" range.  

Is there a learning curve?  Yep.  Is there some re-training?  Yep.

SL is not magic, but if you're a taller golfer...don't let thr talk from manlets scare you away from longer short irons.

• Like 1

I think more people would try SL clubs if they came out with actually appealing irons. Cobra now only has SL irons in their GI or SGI category, which is a turn off for a lot of people and also categorizes SL as a "game improvement" option. I'm sure it would be a lot of extra work, but I know I would try SL clubs if they were offered in more CB or small players cavity style irons.

I borrowed a set of the Cobra SLs last season for a few months and interestingly I absolutely loved the wedges. I'm a bit of a low ball hitter so seeing those shots get up there and stick on landing was awesome. I had no problems adjusting to the longer shaft length there.

But 6i and below I just wasn't a fan of. Shots were way too low. 

11 hours ago, OsnolaKinnard said:

I have been playing edel SLS01 irons for going on my 3rd year.  My irons are all 37" long.  I am also 6'4" tall.  I love SL irons for the short irons.  The 7-GW work like magic for me.

That all being said...I use TEE CBX ironwood for my 4 and 5 iron and an 18* cbx119 Hybrid.

I have found what works for me, allows me to feel comfortable over the ball, and heightens my enjoyment of the game. 

Being a taller golfer, I never felt comfortable with anything less than an 8 iron, and as my clubs were always +1"...that pretty much puts me at the 37" range.  

Is there a learning curve?  Yep.  Is there some re-training?  Yep.

SL is not magic, but if you're a taller golfer...don't let thr talk from manlets scare you away from longer short irons.

Thanks for this input.  I am also in the 6'4"-6'5" range and have been intrigued by the SL thing. I think with my 7 iron club speed, I wouldn't face some of the issues others mentioned with the 4 and 5. But I like your concept here as well.  I agree, it's hard to feel comfortable with the shorter irons when you're bent over at a 90 degree angle.  I don't have a lot of training, so I'm thinking any re-training for me would be at a minimum. :-)

• Like 2