One length irons WOW!!!

wings02

On 10/5/2021 at 9:15 PM, Feelingofgreatness said:

For those that use eq1s I have a question. 

I got TLT fit to my current set. 

My favorite club is the 37.25" iron at 63* lie and about 2.1mm of offset. D3.5. It's my 8i

If I get 5i to Gw built to this configuration will the wedges be too long for half shots and pitches? Am I better off going to my 36.625" club that is 65* lie (my PW) closer to Tom's recommended playing length?

My current wedges are 36.625" (pw, gw) and 36.1875" (sw, lw). 

I like the idea of 37.25" because my 5i will only be roughly 1" shorter so I should only lose about 5-7 yards of carry from the length reduction, 6i maybe 3-4 yards in carry. If I go 36.625, I will lose 10-11 yards of carry with the 5i.

I play my EQ1 set at 37.5" (traditional 6i length). I'm 6'5" with a 39.5-40" WTF, so the traditional 36.5" (8i) length is just too short for me, as that was my SW length on my previous set. 

I have 4h, 5i-GW in the EQ1 set, and had the PW bent to 44 and the GW bent to 48 to make room for specialty wedges.

I then had my wedges (52, 56, 60) made by Sub70 and had them built to 36.75" with the same shafts (Modus 120) and grips. I didn't want to build them to 37.5" due to swing weight issues as the heads are significantly (~25g) heavier than EQ1 heads, and Sub70 was nice enough to cherry-pick the lightest heads they had to help keep the swing weight down on the build. 

I didn't mind having two different lengths, because the EQ1 PW and GW are primarily full swing clubs, whereas the 52/56/60 are primarily used for wedge duty, so maybe 25% or less of the swings with those clubs are full swings. 

The longer EQ1 works for me, but I'm also significantly taller and larger in general than most players, so I don't mind heavier swing weight. 

• Like 1

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Toski 4w 16* w/ DG S300

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Odyssey White Hot XG #1 w/ SuperStroke jumbo

On 9/17/2021 at 6:54 AM, extrastiff said:

If you have the swing speed for it, I would give maybe nine iron/pw length a try(add some lead tape). 

and then go VL on wedges

If I recall correctly I am already at 8 iron length

The long iron gapping was already too tight to the mid irons. The distance of the 19 Cobra One hybrid was appreciably shorter than my old 20 degree Callaway. Going even shorter I fear just exacerbates the issue.

This is my second attempt with SL as I rebuilt and bent to get better distance separation from a set of EQLs over a dozen years ago. Same problems, long iron gapping and little to or worse performance in short iron accuracy.

On paper it all makes sense… I am just not seeing the hypotheses proved in my observational experience. 

Edited by Smoothest Noonan
Correction

1 hour ago, Smoothest Noonan said:

If I recall correctly I am already at 8 iron length

The long iron gapping was already too tight to the mid irons. The distance of the 19 Cobra One hybrid was appreciably shorter than my old 20 degree Callaway. Going even shorter I fear just exacerbates the issue.

This is my second attempt with SL as I rebuilt and bent to get better distance separation from a set of EQLs over a dozen years ago. Same problems, long iron gapping and little to or worse performance in short iron accuracy.

On paper it all makes sense… I am just not seeing the hypotheses proved in my observational experience. 

I can see that happening in the long irons with swing speeds that are not really high. I was more speaking to the short irons being harder to hit… I think taking those down a little bit should make them just as easy as any other short iron to hit. 

I can tell you’ve pretty much given up already, but you sound like a candidate for Radspeed in your six iron and seven iron, and then a more forged blady model in 8 9 and pw. then maybe hybrids from five iron up. I think if you play with a mixed set, you could probably find gapping that worked for you with launch that worked. Ymmv 

Edited by extrastiff

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

So I've played the EQ1 for a while now. 

Overall I'm happy. I still have trouble reminding myself to swing my 4h and 5i like a 9i (my length was my previous 9i length, where it's a "standard" 6i length). But I'm getting better about that. 

I feel like I've lost something at the top, though. My previous set of clubs was traditional loft CBs starting at 3i, which I think was a weaker loft than the 4h. But it was 40.5" and my SL set is all at 37.5". So my 3i was my 225 club, whereas my 4h is now my 200 club. 

I've got 10y gaps pretty well through the set, which I like. 4h=200. 5i 190, 6i 180, 7i 170, 8i 160, 9i 150, PW 140, GW 130, and then down to my wedges. But I'm missing the ability to hit shots with any club reliably over 200y. 

Right now my driver is 265-270ish, and my 4w is maybe 235ish. I've got driver, 4w, 8 EQ1 clubs, 3 Sub70 wedges, and a putter, so I'm at 14. But I've got a gap on the top end of the bag. 

The driver is old, and the 4w is ancient, so I've gotta work that. I'm wondering if I should try to go driver/3w/5w, and then drop a wedge to make room? Or should I look into perhaps extending the 4h by 1" and the 5i by 1/2" and try to pick up a little swing speed there despite the fact that they're not "one length"...

Toski 4w 16* w/ DG S300

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

On 10/19/2021 at 7:59 PM, betarhoalphadelta said:

So I've played the EQ1 for a while now. 

Overall I'm happy. I still have trouble reminding myself to swing my 4h and 5i like a 9i (my length was my previous 9i length, where it's a "standard" 6i length). But I'm getting better about that. 

I feel like I've lost something at the top, though. My previous set of clubs was traditional loft CBs starting at 3i, which I think was a weaker loft than the 4h. But it was 40.5" and my SL set is all at 37.5". So my 3i was my 225 club, whereas my 4h is now my 200 club. 

I've got 10y gaps pretty well through the set, which I like. 4h=200. 5i 190, 6i 180, 7i 170, 8i 160, 9i 150, PW 140, GW 130, and then down to my wedges. But I'm missing the ability to hit shots with any club reliably over 200y. 

Right now my driver is 265-270ish, and my 4w is maybe 235ish. I've got driver, 4w, 8 EQ1 clubs, 3 Sub70 wedges, and a putter, so I'm at 14. But I've got a gap on the top end of the bag. 

The driver is old, and the 4w is ancient, so I've gotta work that. I'm wondering if I should try to go driver/3w/5w, and then drop a wedge to make room? Or should I look into perhaps extending the 4h by 1" and the 5i by 1/2" and try to pick up a little swing speed there despite the fact that they're not "one length"...

Ten yard gaps are small. Also If you have a gap wedge there little reason for three more Wedges

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

13 hours ago, extrastiff said:

Ten yard gaps are small. Also If you have a gap wedge there little reason for three more Wedges

Yeah, my previous clubs I was about a 10y gap in the most lofted clubs (say 8i-PW), but as I got from 7i down to 3i the gaps were larger. I think the combination of loft changes plus length changes was the reason. I thought the design of the EQ1, where the weight/CG was placed, etc was supposed to help keep bigger gaps even though there is no length (and therefore speed) difference. 

The EQ1 has 4* loft gaps from 4h all the way to 9i by design, and I had the PW and GW bent 1* and 2* strong to keep 4* gaps beyond that. I have decent but not stellar speed, mid-80s at my 37.5" length. It's not a launch thing--I can get good high launch from the 4h and 5i. 

But the gaps are only 10y. And I don't understand why.

You are probably right on the wedges. Bear in mind that my EQ1 set PW is bent to 44 and GW bent to 48, and I use those clubs basically like a 10i and 11i--primarily full swings. I then went with a 52/10, 56/12, and 60/6 wedges for around the green work. The idea being that having three specialty wedges would give me more flexibility. I could certainly look at bending the PW back to 45, getting a 50* wedge to replace the 52, and dropping the set GW. But I only really need to do that if I need to make room for another club at the top. 

Toski 4w 16* w/ DG S300

With single length and even 1/4" gappings(what I use on short irons, 7 iron down to LW) I feel that 10 yard gaps is too small to span your irons to properly space your clubs if you drive the ball over 260 yards and only carry 14.  You probably need to space all of your irons lofts a little wider to space out those gaps.

Everybody is different though.

For me, I have 5 degree gaps in my shorter irons, and larger gappings, because it is easier to play 3/4 shots with them than it is with longer clubs, so having a larger distance gap there doesn't bother me.  However I also have mostly 4 degree gaps in my longer clubs, but they are 3/8" length gapping (4 to 7 iron).  I have 14 or so yards in between all of my irons(4 iron down to LW).

• Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS on Ventus Purple
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade SIM2 Titanium - testing shafts
  • 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • Hybrid - Cobra King Tec 17* 
  • Util - Srixon ZXU 18* on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX5 4&5 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX7 (6-9) on Recoil 110
  • Wedges - Clevelland 46* Zipcore, Cleveland 50* mid Zipcore, Cleveland 54* mid Zipcore, Cleveland Zipcore 60* Mid all on Recoil 110
  • Putters -  Odyssey V Line Tank on a BGT Shaft - sometimes Sunset Beach Ocracoke or Mannkrafted MA/66 on UST Frequency Filtered with SS Counter Core
  • Ball - Srixon Z Star XV auditioning Snell and Vice Pro Plus this offseason.

5 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Yeah, my previous clubs I was about a 10y gap in the most lofted clubs (say 8i-PW), but as I got from 7i down to 3i the gaps were larger. I think the combination of loft changes plus length changes was the reason. I thought the design of the EQ1, where the weight/CG was placed, etc was supposed to help keep bigger gaps even though there is no length (and therefore speed) difference. 

The EQ1 has 4* loft gaps from 4h all the way to 9i by design, and I had the PW and GW bent 1* and 2* strong to keep 4* gaps beyond that. I have decent but not stellar speed, mid-80s at my 37.5" length. It's not a launch thing--I can get good high launch from the 4h and 5i. 

But the gaps are only 10y. And I don't understand why.

You are probably right on the wedges. Bear in mind that my EQ1 set PW is bent to 44 and GW bent to 48, and I use those clubs basically like a 10i and 11i--primarily full swings. I then went with a 52/10, 56/12, and 60/6 wedges for around the green work. The idea being that having three specialty wedges would give me more flexibility. I could certainly look at bending the PW back to 45, getting a 50* wedge to replace the 52, and dropping the set GW. But I only really need to do that if I need to make room for another club at the top. 

I would do it to simplify things even if didn’t need to add a club. That’s just a bonus. In my opinion no need for a specialty gap wedge club in general (2 or 3 out of the last four tour winners pulled a tiger and didn’t use any gap wedge, at all). They fact that u basically have two gap wedges, and one doesn’t really get used on full shots, def seems redundant.

On 7/4/2021 at 1:19 PM, Rich Douglas said:

Just tossed my set of Sterlings into the landfill. Not worth much in trade, not worth the hassle of selling them. Cleaning out a closet and whoosh! (Also dumped a number of putters and old drivers.) 

Rich, as big an advocate that you are for One Length irons  i would have expected you to offer them to anyone if they'd have paid shipping ! Would have been a good way to get a new convert ! Thanks for

your input in this thread. I like your views.

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

For those that are interested in a compressed length, super easy to hit set, check out Titleist t400... See attached graphic. 

6 irons from 26* to 49*

From 37.00" to 35.50"

If you wanted, you can put the 26* iron at 36.50" and move the lie 1/2* to 63.5

The nice thing is, 4 of the irons are as easy to hit as a wedge at 36.00" to 35.50"

These things launch like crazy with all tungsten in the heads. 

Screenshot_20211028-183805.png

• Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 1:04 PM, billh17 said:

Rich, as big an advocate that you are for One Length irons  i would have expected you to offer them to anyone if they'd have paid shipping ! Would have been a good way to get a new convert ! Thanks for

your input in this thread. I like your views.

It just wasn't worth the hassle. This market is just a niche and finding someone else to take them off my hands--even for free--was too difficult. I was cleaning out a house to sell and a lot of things had to go. 

And I know you mean it as a compliment, but I'm not an advocate of single-length irons. I am, of course, an avid user. But the case for variable-length irons is as strong as ever, and I don't suggest that moving to single-length irons is generally a good idea. It's such an individual choice. 

So, I'm not evangelical about it, but I am enthusiastic, and I enjoy sharing with others.

• Like 2

Driver: Titleist TSi3 (Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60)
2W: TM Mini Driver 300
3H: Ping G425

4H: Wishon EQ1-NX Single Length 4h (36.5")
Irons: Wishon EQ1-NX Single Length 5I-SW (UST Mamiya Recoil 780 ES “S” Flex 86 grams), 36.5"

LW: JAWS MD5, 60 degrees
Putter: Bloodline (center-shafted mallet)
Ball: Titleist ProV1 (2021)

Glove: Bionic Performancegrip Pro

Shoes: Sqairz 20/20

16 hours ago, Rich Douglas said:

It just wasn't worth the hassle. This market is just a niche and finding someone else to take them off my hands--even for free--was too difficult. I was cleaning out a house to sell and a lot of things had to go. 

And I know you mean it as a compliment, but I'm not an advocate of single-length irons. I am, of course, an avid user. But the case for variable-length irons is as strong as ever, and I don't suggest that moving to single-length irons is generally a good idea. It's such an individual choice. 

So, I'm not evangelical about it, but I am enthusiastic, and I enjoy sharing with others.

Having gone thru the moving thing a short time ago, i can relate to the "clearing things out ".

I had no idea of the stuff that had accumulated over the years.  Enjoy your input  and wish the best to you !

• Like 1

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Feelingofgreatness said:

Has anyone here tried 1 iron golf single length irons. They have been around since 1997 but I can hardly find any review of people using them? For them to be around so long they must have sold thousands of sets.

I don’t have direct experience.  But on forums over the years, the occasional mentions have always been from satisfied customers.

• Like 1

M4 Driver
XR16 5 wood

4,5,6 hybrids (22,25,28 degrees)  Adams
6-GW Maltby STi irons, graphite
54 & 58º Wedges
Odyssey Jailbird Mini extended to arm lock

I used to play weekly with a tall guy, 6'5" or so.  He played 1 iron golf irons.  We played together for nearly a year before I even realized he was playing single length irons!  Back then it was EXTREMELY unusual, a niche product.

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 10.5* | Rogue White 130 MSI 60X

Mizuno ST-Z 15* 3w | Ventus Blue 70X

TEE EXS Pro 19* 3 Hybrid | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X

Miura CB-57 3-iron | KBS $-Taper 130

Scratch AR-1 DW grind 4-PW | Rifle Flighted 6.0

Mizuno T22 54/12

Cleveland RTX Full Face 58/09

Edel EAS 4.0 || LAB B.2

Jones Classic || Camino Sunday || Jones Players || Jones Utility

On 11/13/2021 at 11:19 AM, ldh692002 said:

Anyone have experience with the one length wedges out there?

snakebite?

mim?

any comments or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

started my adventure with one length and am very excited!!!

Lots.

Kept the GW and SW with the set. Use traditional LW.

In the first gen Wishon, had the LW, too, but couldn't make it work. It was too long--thus the swing too flat--to make the kinds of shots around the green you need (especially flop shots and sand shots). Open the face and the toe would come into play, digging in at impact and flying open the face.

But I like making full shots with the GW and SW, so they stay in. (And I don't hit open-faced shots with them anyway.)

Irons: Wishon EQ1-NX Single Length 5I-SW (UST Mamiya Recoil 780 ES “S” Flex 86 grams), 36.5"

On 11/13/2021 at 2:03 PM, Feelingofgreatness said:

Has anyone here tried 1 iron golf single length irons. They have been around since 1997 but I can hardly find any review of people using them? For them to be around so long they must have sold thousands of sets.

I really recommend staying away from bargain brands. The clubs in a single-length set need to be made and fitted precisely, or you won't get proper gapping. This includes selecting the right grip, shaft, and swing weight. Oh, and lie angle.

I recommend either Edel or (my choice for more than 5 years) Wishon. If you absolutely must buy off-the-shelf, at least go to a big box store and check out Cobra. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rich Douglas said:

I really recommend staying away from bargain brands. The clubs in a single-length set need to be made and fitted precisely, or you won't get proper gapping. This includes selecting the right grip, shaft, and swing weight. Oh, and lie angle.

I recommend either Edel or (my choice for more than 5 years) Wishon. If you absolutely must buy off-the-shelf, at least go to a big box store and check out Cobra. 

Hi Rich, 

1 iron is not really bargain. A full set of their Blackstone irons is almost $1000.

Apparently Jaacob Bowden used them before he went to wishon to work on sterling. 

David Lake the founder has an interesting approach to fitting. He believes 63.5* is the perfect lie angle and basically you fit a custom length based on wrist to floor to match that perfect lie. 

I don't like the fact you can't get graphite. Mr. LAKE is old school and apparently hates graphite. 

He wrote an intereresting and very opinionated ebook i found... 

Link at the bottom of this page... 

https://1irongolf.com/pages/golf-tips

Edel irons seem great but no fitters in my area and the price is very high for a virtual fit. 

On 11/13/2021 at 12:19 PM, ldh692002 said:

Anyone have experience with the one length wedges out there?

snakebite?

mim?

any comments or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

started my adventure with one length and am very excited!!!

Cobra Forged Tec OL here, pw \ gw in the bag. Love them but use a traditional length Callaway MD wedge SW, its my !money club so it stays in the bag.

11 hours ago, Snowman9000 said:

@Feelingofgreatness He uses the same head weight no matter the length.   That’s not the best system IMO.

I agree, when I spoke to him on the phone he was adamant that swing weight doesn't matter. For longer or shorter builds it definitely would get wonky. 

My curiosity revolves more around them being around for 24 years yet I've never bumped into anyone using their clubs and generally there are next to no reviews on the interwebs. Also, they offer a 30 day guarantee and you can beat the clubs as much as you like, that quite confident. 

Wishon is definitely the way to go for the cost-customizability

Edited by Feelingofgreatness
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Snowman9000 said:

@Feelingofgreatness He uses the same head weight no matter the length.   That’s not the best system IMO.

What SL vendor adjusts head weight for build length or swing weight? 

I went with Wishon EQ1 and the only head weight option is 275g. My clubs are probably high on the swing weight scale because they're built with Modus 120 and they're an inch longer than standard at 37.5"... But I'm a big guy, so I don't mind it. That's what worked best in the fitting. 

I hadn't heard of any SL clubs that had variable weighting systems for different length builds. Maybe I missed it? 

Toski 4w 16* w/ DG S300

1 hour ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

I went with Wishon EQ1 and the only head weight option is 275g. My clubs are probably high on the swing weight scale because they're built with Modus 120 and they're an inch longer than standard at 37.5"... But I'm a big guy, so I don't mind it. That's what worked best in the fitting. 

I hadn't heard of any SL clubs that had variable weighting systems for different length builds. Maybe I missed it? 

The difference is that most of the companies do not really think you should be playing alternative lengths based on your size.  IMO of course.  Possibly you hit the 37.5 better because of the higher swing weight, not the length.

M4 Driver
XR16 5 wood

4,5,6 hybrids (22,25,28 degrees)  Adams
6-GW Maltby STi irons, graphite
54 & 58º Wedges
Odyssey Jailbird Mini extended to arm lock

6 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

A club fitter can add or remove some weight to get the desired swing weight.

You can also change the weight of the grip. And if you really want to lower the swing weight, you can counterbalance the clubs.

Swing weight and strength really don't correlate. Swing weight has nothing to do with static weight, which might matter to very strong or very weak people. Might. But what matters is how they feel to you. Clubs at the same swing weight can feel radically different if they have different static weights.

When I switched from steel to graphite shafts (going from Sterling to EQ1-NX), I went with the same swing weight I'd always used: D1.5. But they ended up feeling too light (because they were). So I switched to a lighter grip, taking away 10 more grams. But that bumped up the swing weight to D-3. So, the club's static weight was now about 30 grams than my 1st-gen Wishon Sterlings, but they felt the same in the swing.

Or, you could just grab what you have and hit them really far, find it, and hit it again. I think they call that "golf." I'm not sure because I've never played it. I've been playing a game called "golf swing" for decades....🤪

14 hours ago, Snowman9000 said:

The difference is that most of the companies do not really think you should be playing alternative lengths based on your size.  IMO of course.  Possibly you hit the 37.5 better because of the higher swing weight, not the length.

In conversation with Tom Wishon via the comments section on his site, he generally thinks that a variance of +1" to -1" on the EQ1 to be within acceptable range, and because of my height and WTF (6'5", 40") measurements, I'm on that outlier side that would probably benefit from extra length. Of course he does say that there are swing weight implications of that. 

For me, 36.5" just feels too short. I do fine with it on wedge swings (although my current wedges aren't even that short; I play them at 36.75"), but I don't think I would do well with it for "full" swings. I have a comfort level with a little bit longer club and feel less compressed and more able to swing athletically. 

9 hours ago, Rich Douglas said:

A club fitter can add or remove some weight to get the desired swing weight.

You can also change the weight of the grip. And if you really want to lower the swing weight, you can counterbalance the clubs.

Swing weight and strength really don't correlate. Swing weight has nothing to do with static weight, which might matter to very strong or very weak people. Might. But what matters is how they feel to you. Clubs at the same swing weight can feel radically different if they have different static weights.

When I switched from steel to graphite shafts (going from Sterling to EQ1-NX), I went with the same swing weight I'd always used: D1.5. But they ended up feeling too light (because they were). So I switched to a lighter grip, taking away 10 more grams. But that bumped up the swing weight to D-3. So, the club's static weight was now about 30 grams than my 1st-gen Wishon Sterlings, but they felt the same in the swing.

Or, you could just grab what you have and hit them really far, find it, and hit it again. I think they call that "golf." I'm not sure because I've never played it. I've been playing a game called "golf swing" for decades....🤪

I did go with the midsize MCC+4 grips partly because I have large hands and they fit better, but partly also because those grips are on the heavier end and help a little with the swing weight. 

I've always done well with heavier static weight and heavier swing weight; anything that "feels too light" gets me really quick in transition. I need to feel that resistance of the weight of the club to keep my tempo right. 

My previous clubs measured out at E0. I should probably just check and see what my EQ1 and wedges are measuring at. They definitely feel lighter than E0, but I don't think they're anywhere near the "normal" swing weight of D2. 

Toski 4w 16* w/ DG S300