2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

One length irons WOW!!!

wings02

1 hour ago, Rich Douglas said:

I never considered the possibility that it's an asset for a mishit to go shorter! Brilliant!

I think I remember dustin or Jon or someone of similar skill level suggesting that’s a reason they prefer hitting a fade now, because mishits have more spin and ballon up, whereas a draw will typically have less spin and run out further into the woods. 

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

24 minutes ago, lefthack said:

What I don't get about their lie angles is they seem counterintuitive. If I have 2 clubs the same length but different lies, my setup is now different, which defeats the purpose of a single length iron. If the lie is flatter, the club head is farther away at the same length.

What am I missing here? Are they trying to fake me into thinking it's different with a different weight?

Not following the weight question you are asking at the end there. 

I have not studied lie angle very closely, but I find that in these radspeed irons, it does not make a significant impact on how far I feel the club head is from my hands.

I don’t even think about it, just swing the same as I did with matching lie angles. but as I said earlier, I would be curious to see how matching up the lie angles affects my feel and numbers. But to my naked eye and limited knowledge base, I don’t think it is significantly affecting my ball flight/striking. 

“Defeats the purpose” is an oversimplification in my opinion. In theory, Even if We thought lie angle was making a difference, matching up shaft lengths still would essentially be “limiting” the affect of the length variable. 

so even with different lie angles and shaft weights, they still feel very similar to swing, and I enjoy it more than variable lengths. Do they feel exactly the same from club to club? No. But neither does my balance, grip, takeway, length of swing, swing speed, transition timing, etc. so I don’t concern myself too much with .5 degree lie angle difference. I swing my best when I accept the that my swing is dynamically different every single time, even with the exact same club in my hands. 

Edited by extrastiff
  • Like 1

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

The lie angle is pure physics. The fact you "don't notice" doesn't negate the fact that either the club isn't flush with the ground at address, or your setup has changed to compensate for a different lie angle.

Every other single length setup uses heads that are the same weight and lie. Cobra says they know different and my understanding of physics disagrees. 

• Like 1

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

14 minutes ago, lefthack said:

The lie angle is pure physics. The fact you "don't notice" doesn't negate the fact that either the club isn't flush with the ground at address, or your setup has changed to compensate for a different lie angle.

Every other single length setup uses heads that are the same weight and lie. Cobra says they know different and my understanding of physics disagrees. 

The club being flush in not a necessity tho, and many agree that being flush at address has nothing to do with dynamic lie angle at impact. so I personally don’t care, obviously my brain and body can handle the difference enough. I don’t even consider if the club I’m swinging is sitting flush at address. I used to, back before I accepted that lie angle, shaft weight, cleat pattern on the bottom of my shoes,  warmup routine, etc, were not the reasons I generally sucked at golf lol. 

and maybe it’s helping my launch windows and helping my scores.....Maybe it’s keeping me from being pga tour caliber, right now..... Who knows. Like I said, I do not 🙂  Would be interested in testing, but as of right now, I’m happy. 

Edited by extrastiff

The lie angles that Cobra are using aren't related to launch conditions.  Their stance is that golfers swing their long irons harder, in spite of them all being the same length, and they noticed a greater toe down effect due to this subconscious effort by the SL golfer.

It would be exaggerated by lighter shafts in the longer irons, I would expect, as well as if the long iron shafts are softer tipped.

• Like 3

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

5 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

The lie angles that Cobra are using aren't related to launch conditions.  Their stance is that golfers swing their long irons harder, in spite of them all being the same length, and they noticed a greater toe down effect due to this subconscious effort by the SL golfer.

It would be exaggerated by lighter shafts in the longer irons, I would expect, as well as if the long iron shafts are softer tipped.

Ok! I’m pretty sure cobra used to have some marketing blurb on their website about shaft weight and lie angle helping optimal launch conditions, but maybe that’s a fancy way of referencing shaft droop, or my memory does not serve me here

Edited by extrastiff
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, extrastiff said:

Ok! I’m pretty sure cobra used to have some marketing blurb on their website about shaft weight and lie angle helping optimal launch conditions, but maybe that’s a fancy way of referencing shaft droop, or my memory does not serve me here

It's hard sometimes to sift reality from the marketing speak used by the OEMs.  😉  

I mean, they tell us they strengthen lofts because they've moved CGs lower and farther back, which GolfWorks measurements show us is not only not true, but actually the opposite in a lot of cases.

(I admit I'm going from memory myself, LOL)

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

1 hour ago, NRJyzr said:

And yet again, wouldn't that be contrary to the entire point of SL irons? The idea is that the swing should be identical, even down to swing speed and tempo. 

They're trying to take people who have variable-length mindsets and give them SL sets without having them commit to the SL concept. 

@Rich Douglas Having played SL for a long time, do you believe you have the subconscious effort to swing harder with the longer irons? Do you think you had that in the early SL days when you were transitioning? 

Ping G25 10.5* w/ Diamana 'ahina 70 x5ct stiff (set -0.5 to 10*)

Sub70 Pro Tour 5w w/ Aldila NV NXT 85 stiff

Wishon EQ1-NX 4h, 5i-GW single-length built to 37.5" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

Sub70 Sycamore Mallet putter @ 36.5" with Winn midsize pistol grip

1 hour ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

And yet again, wouldn't that be contrary to the entire point of SL irons? The idea is that the swing should be identical, even down to swing speed and tempo. 

They're trying to take people who have variable-length mindsets and give them SL sets without having them commit to the SL concept. 

@Rich Douglas Having played SL for a long time, do you believe you have the subconscious effort to swing harder with the longer irons? Do you think you had that in the early SL days when you were transitioning? 

I believe there is no such thing as “identical swing”, tempo,or swingspeed. Literally impossible to be perfectly consistent, there will always be dynamic variance. 

And as has been pointed out multiple times now, building shorter long irons/longer short irons is a lot “easier” using a single length set as a staring point. So who cares if it’s not the immaculate single length set.... I haven’t seen anyone arguing with me that a 4 iron is just as simple to hit as an 8 iron, so... why hit a 4 iron then? (If u have the swingspeed to get 4 iron numbers out of a club much shorter)

I also don’t believe the idea that there is an “entire point” to any set of clubs, or that there is some mindset to commit to....it’s a handful of glued metal/plastic/graphite. Use whatever makes u happy and meets your needs lol. 

With my game now, I’d beat the pants off myself From 4 years ago, even with a set of noodle flex variable length blades at e5 swingweight. a good swing is a good swing. A good player seems to compensate however necessary, especially if given time to get comfortable with the clubs, based on anecdotal testing I’ve seen. 

my gcquad numbers do indicate I personally swing harder at the lower lofted single length irons, and after 4 years of single length testing, it does seem that I am decreasing the difference between short iron and long iron swing speed. Something I consciously had to work on. Extending them to be a bit longer than my “mid/short iron single lengths” actually helped a lot with smoothing on have aggressively I swung at them. 

Edited by extrastiff

Of course there's no perfectly consistent swing. But there may be repeatable tendencies, and I can completely buy that golfers subconsciously [or consciously] swing their long irons harder than their short irons. 

I think the platonic ideal of single-length club proponents is that you shouldn't swing long irons harder than short irons, because the goal of single-length club design is that the swing should be as consistent as you make it, and the only thing that changes is the loft of the club face. 

Maybe that's not realistic, once you put a 5i and a ball in front of someone compared to a PW. Those tendencies are hard to break.

That's one of the reasons I posed the question to Rich, as he's done SL for a long time and might have some experience on whether that tendency is real from his experience, and whether it goes away or not over time.

• Like 2

Sub70 286 52/10, 286 56/12, and JB 60/6 wedges, black, built to 36.75" w/ Nippon Modus3 120 stiff

35 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

Of course there's no perfectly consistent swing. But there may be repeatable tendencies, and I can completely buy that golfers subconsciously [or consciously] swing their long irons harder than their short irons. 

I think the platonic ideal of single-length club proponents is that you shouldn't swing long irons harder than short irons, because the goal of single-length club design is that the swing should be as consistent as you make it, and the only thing that changes is the loft of the club face. 

Maybe that's not realistic, once you put a 5i and a ball in front of someone compared to a PW. Those tendencies are hard to break.

That's one of the reasons I posed the question to Rich, as he's done SL for a long time and might have some experience on whether that tendency is real from his experience, and whether it goes away or not over time.

Just out of curiosity, What is a long time? Cause for me it’s been 6 years, and 4 of those I’ve owned a launch monitor. 

Edited by extrastiff

2 minutes ago, extrastiff said:

Just out of curiosity, What is a long time? Cause for me it’s been 6 years, and 4 of those I’ve owned a launch monitor. 

But admittedly, and without getting into your semantic debate with Rich lol... You effectively play a single-length iron combo set at two different lengths. 4-6i at 7i length and 7-PW at 9i length, IIRC.

So the question would be different for you. It would be whether you swing your 4i harder and with higher SS than your 6i, and whether you swing your 7i harder and with higher SS than your PW. 

If you swing your 4-6i harder than your 7i-PW, it doesn't really tell us anything because those clubs are at different lengths. Without even affecting how "hard" you swing, the 4-6i should be higher swing speed purely from the extra inch of length. 

To me, I would hope that if you're playing clubs with the same lie angle at one length, a "long time" to break yourself of the habit of differing swing intensities would be a season of play, or two at most. 

What is interesting to me about the Cobra OL lie angles is that they go in the opposite direction from a traditional variable length set.

Normally a 5 iron lie angle is less than a PW.  Simple physics, as the shaft length decreases and the player stands closer to the ball, the toe of the club needs to be raised and you do that by increasing the lie angle.

In the Cobra's the 5 iron lie angle is more than a PW even though both shaft lengths are the same.  It's not a slight difference either, it's 3.5*

3 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

But admittedly, and without getting into your semantic debate with Rich lol... You effectively play a single-length iron combo set at two different lengths. 4-6i at 7i length and 7-PW at 9i length, IIRC.

So the question would be different for you. It would be whether you swing your 4i harder and with higher SS than your 6i, and whether you swing your 7i harder and with higher SS than your PW. 

If you swing your 4-6i harder than your 7i-PW, it doesn't really tell us anything because those clubs are at different lengths. Without even affecting how "hard" you swing, the 4-6i should be higher swing speed purely from the extra inch of length. 

To me, I would hope that if you're playing clubs with the same lie angle at one length, a "long time" to break yourself of the habit of differing swing intensities would be a season of play, or two at most. 

It's not so much swinging "harder".  The head of a longer club travels a longer path than the head of a shorter club and therefore generates more swing speed (even with an identical swing).

Edited by abenjami

14 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

The last two months has been that setup, the rest of the time (5.8 years) has been a complete set of one length irons at equal lengths. I tested anywhere from 6 iron length across the entire set, to pw length. In fact, I haven’t even tested the swingspeed difference with the longer 4-7 irons. 

to answer the question, I swung (is that a word?) the low lofted single lengths (9 iron length) at around 97mph average, the higher lofted ones at around 93. 

Edited by extrastiff

1 minute ago, abenjami said:

It's not so much swinging "harder".  The head of a longer club travels a longer path than the head of a shorter club and therefore generates more swing speed (even with an identical swing).

Agreed. Apparently it was stated upthread that Cobra is making this lie angle adjustment rather than consistent lie angles across the SL set because players swing harder with the low-numbered (I don't want to use the term "long" as they're SL) irons. I.e. someone sees a 5 on the bottom of their iron and they swing harder than they would with a PW because it's a "distance" club. 

5 minutes ago, abenjami said:

What is interesting to me about the Cobra OL lie angles is that they go in the opposite direction from a traditional variable length set.

Normally a 5 iron lie angle is less than a PW.  Simple physics, as the shaft length decreases and the player stands closer to the ball, the toe of the club needs to be raised and you do that by increasing the lie angle.

In the Cobra's the 5 iron lie angle is more than a PW even though both shaft lengths are the same.  It's not a slight difference either, it's 3.5*

This actually makes sense if you buy Cobra's reasoning. If you're swinging harder with a 5i than a PW, and they're the same length, you'll get more change to the dynamic lie angle with the 5i due to higher swing speed, as the toe droops more. I'm not sure 3.5* across the set makes sense, but I have to assume some testing was done to get there.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, extrastiff said:

The last two months has been that setup, the rest of the time (5.8 years) has been a complete set of one length irons. In fact, I haven’t even tested the swingspeed difference with the longer 4-7 iron. 

to answer the question, I swung (is that a word?) the low lifted single lengths at around 97mph average, the higher lofted ones at around 93. 

Thank you. If that experience is consistent among SL players, then Cobra's strategy of disparate lie angles may actually make perfect sense. It's non-intuitive because we normally associate lie angle with club length. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

This actually makes sense if you buy Cobra's reasoning. If you're swinging harder with a 5i than a PW, and they're the same length, you'll get more change to the dynamic lie angle with the 5i due to higher swing speed, as the toe droops more. I'm not sure 3.5* across the set makes sense, but I have to assume some testing was done to get there.

This makes absolutely no sense to me though.  First off, it's the complete opposite of a traditional set.  If people swing a 5 iron harder because it's a 5 iron, then traditional sets would also increase (not decrease) lie angles as clubs get longer.

Also, "toe droop" as I understand it means the difference between the lie angle at setup vs. at impact.  This doesn't change a thing regardless of shaft length because lie angles are fitted only at impact.

I actually have toe droop myself.  When I setup with the club flat on the ground using a traditional lie angle, I hit the ground first with the toe at impact.  My irons are 1.5* up to compensate for this.

6 minutes ago, abenjami said:

This makes absolutely no sense to me though.  First off, it's the complete opposite of a traditional set.  If people swing a 5 iron harder because it's a 5 iron, then traditional sets would also increase (not decrease) lie angles as clubs get longer.

Also, "toe droop" as I understand it means the difference between the lie angle at setup vs. at impact.  This doesn't change a thing regardless of shaft length because lie angles are fitted only at impact.

I actually have toe droop myself.  When I setup with the club flat on the ground using a traditional lie angle, I hit the ground first with the toe at impact.  My irons are 1.5* up to compensate for this.

Everyone has toe droop. How much is dependent on your swing mechanics, but it's physically going to happen because the CoG of the clubhead is not in line with the shaft, so by definition the swing must bend the toe down dynamically relative to its static position.

But remember that with a variable length set, the club heads are heavier in the high-lofted irons than in the low-lofted irons. Heavier club heads will have more droop than lighter club heads at constant swing speeds. 

If a variable set is properly balanced, your toe droop would be consistent across the set. In the low-lofted irons, your swing speed is higher due to the additional length, but the head weight is lower. In the high-lofted irons, your swing speed is lower, but the head is heavier. Thus, in a variable length set you have different lie angles progressively through the different club lengths, but based on your specific swing you might be +1.5* across the set, 1* flat across the set, etc. And even then it's not a hard rule. Apparently in last week's broadcast they said Collin Morikawa bends his irons individually for lie angle based on how he hits them, as opposed to bending them all a specific deviation from "normal" angles. If a certain iron is heading left he bends it flatter, if right he bends it upright, without regard to the angle of the next iron up and down the set. 

In a single-length set, the club heads are all identical weight. The shafts are all the same length. So if the the swing speeds and mechanics were the same across clubs, the lie angle would be the same because toe droop should be consistent. Cobra is saying that golfers swing lower-lofted clubs harder [at higher swing speed], and therefore the clubs with the most swing speed will need more upright lies because toe droop would increase given constant clubhead weight. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, betarhoalphadelta said:

The very first swing with a 5-iron built to be the same length as an 8-iron was a strange sensation. That went away with the first bucket of balls and has never returned.

A bigger problem was with the pitching and gap wedges. I was hitting each about 10 yards shorter than normal, and I couldn't figure it out! After all, one would fear they'd go too long, right? And that was the clue. I was backing off of them subconsciously because of their longer lengths. Once I realized it--and it took two 9-hole rounds to do it, I put the same swing on them as with the rest of the set and got the right results from then on.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lefthack said:

If I have 2 clubs the same length but different lies, my setup is now different, which defeats the purpose of a single length iron. If the lie is flatter, the club head is farther away at the same length.

I'm not so sure. I'm an advocate of having the same lie angle because of the same length, but differing the lie angle would have a potential impact on direction. I doubt it would cause you to set up with the club flat and, thus, with you standing closer or farther away from the ball. I think you would likely stand the same distance as always, but experience (suffer?) the impact of a lie angle too flat or upright.

6 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Their stance is that golfers swing their long irons harder, in spite of them all being the same length, and they noticed a greater toe down effect due to this subconscious effort by the SL golfer.

Wow. I have heard NO ONE using single-length clubs who feel they swing the lower-lofted clubs harder. There might be a temptation to do so at first because the club looks short with that low loft, but that goes away (in my experience) very quickly. 

Tom Wishon addressed this question about the Cobra lie angle issue and was dead-set against it.

Lie angle, in this case, is the dynamic lie angle at impact. Assuming you're trying to do things as consistently as possible in golf, I would think you'd want your irons--whether single- or variable-length--to be flush at impact. That means they need to be the same statically, too.

• Like 1

On another note:

Regarding the temptation to use variable-length clubs for the "shorter" irons and wedges, I am not an advocate for one specific reason: I'm more accurate (distance and dispersion) with the single-length versions of these clubs, despite their longer lengths. I think there's something to be said for being "dialed in" with all of these clubs. (But YMMV, of course, and we should all do what we feel is best for us.)

Which brings up a question: where does the single-length set begin and end? Assuming we call the low-lofted irons the "beginning," the set begins with the lowest-lofted iron you can hit that will retain proper gapping. This is a function of swing speed and shaft length chosen. A good rule of thumb (that might not apply to you particularly) is that at the 8-iron length, you'll start your set one club "shorter" than a variable-length set. So if you are comfortable hitting a 4 iron as your lowest-lofted iron in a traditional set, you'll probably begin your variable-length irons with a 5-iron. (If you go with a longer shaft in the set, however, you might still start it at a 4-iron.)  Slower swingers who really can't hit their traditional 4-irons will likely start at a single-length 6-iron or so. (Amazing how many people have long irons in their bags that they simply cannot hit well. But it came with the set, right? Wrong. Dump those clubs and replace them with hybrids, please.)

I can hit the 4-iron at an 8-iron length, but it flies a little too low and rolls out a little too far for my tastes. So when I switched from Wishon Sterling to Wishon EQ1-NX I didn't miss the lack of a 4-iron in the new set. (Tom says he isn't going to do a 4-iron for the new set since it didn't sell well anyway.) I break mine out every once in a while to re-check my conclusion, but I always put it right back.

Now, the other end of the set. My set is 5I-SW. I have the Sterling LW and went back-and-forth between it and a traditional LW for years. My conclusion: I like hitting the Sterling LW from the fairway, especially with a full swing. But the length means the lie angle is just too flat to make it versatile enough out of the sand and around the green. Since that is the club's major function, I have finally (I think) settled on a traditional LW. That means, though, that it feels really different (length, lie angle, and swing weight) than my other irons. Thus, I only use it for half-swings from the fairway (60yds and in) and around the greens and sand. I never take a full swing with it, preferring instead to take a less-than-full swing with the SW for those shots between 60 and 115yds (the SW's full-swing carry). 

The only other decision I will have to make is whether or not to continue carrying traditional Ping hybrids (3H and 4H) or switch the 4H out for a Wishon EQ1-NX 4H set at the same length as my irons. I've hesitated since I have the 3H anyway. Or, perhaps, I could opt in for the Wishon hybrid, dump both Ping hybrids, which would leave me room for that Sterling LW for longer shots from the fairway. Because I choke down on the driver, I swing it and the TM mini-driver at the same length. This would reduce my total number of full swings to two--woods and irons.

I think I'll go lie down now....

• Like 1

I got some 20 forged TEC one length heads a while back and got them built a few weeks ago and the lie angle thing really annoyed me as well. So I bent them all to where I needed them to a 59* lie and I love them now. I've only played a few times with them since but it is crazy how many more greens I'm hitting in regulation now. The confidence I have in all my irons now is something I haven't had in years. 

• Like 2

On 4/20/2021 at 11:25 AM, NRJyzr said:

I went to the range this past weekend, and was REALLY struggling with my 5 iron.  I was trying to MURDER the hell out of it.  I stopped and thought to myself "Hey DumbWord not allowed...this is LITERALLY your Pitching wedge...just hit your Pitching wedge" and I flushed 4 beautiful shots that carried 180 yards and maybe rolled another 5 or so.  

There is DEFINITELY a mental aspect to using the SL irons...I've had mine for going on 3 years and I still have to remember to just 'swing the pitching wedge'.

FYI, everything about my clubs is exactly the same, save the shaft 'bend profile' and the loft.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, OsnolaKinnard said:

I went to the range this past weekend, and was REALLY struggling with my 5 iron.  I was trying to MURDER the hell out of it.  I stopped and thought to myself "Hey DumbWord not allowed...this is LITERALLY your Pitching wedge...just hit your Pitching wedge" and I flushed 4 beautiful shots that carried 180 yards and maybe rolled another 5 or so.  

There is DEFINITELY a mental aspect to using the SL irons...I've had mine for going on 3 years and I still have to remember to just 'swing the pitching wedge'.

FYI, everything about my clubs is exactly the same, save the shaft 'bend profile' and the loft.  

I think this is good advice regardless of what clubs you use.  My mantra I got from my grandfather many years ago is think 85% regarding how hard you swing.

Edited by Texas Golfer
  • Like 2

Cobra Fly Z+
Bridgestone J33 3W, 5W Aldila NV 65
Wilson Staff D9 4-PW, TT Dynamic Gold R300

Wilson Harmonized 52*, 56*, 60*
Wilson Staff 8882

On 4/26/2021 at 3:35 PM, OsnolaKinnard said:

I’ve settled in pretty much the same area. I am now using all single length, at pitching wedge length.  5 and 4 iron are forgiving heads/shafts, but same length.

I have accepted that 4 and 5 iron will be a slightly faster club head speed for me, even with equal specs. It has helped me accept every single one of my swings are dynamically different, even with the same club. Mental and physical discrepancies seem undeniable, With all types of club sets/specs. 

Standard deviation is all I care about at this point.

Edited by extrastiff

On 4/26/2021 at 4:41 PM, Texas Golfer said:

I think this is good advice regardless of what clubs you use.  My mantra I got from my grandfather many years ago is think 85% regarding how hard you swing.

This is me. I can lean into it a little and get a couple more yards or for some wind, but I'm not swinging close to 100% because all my accuracy goes out the window and I might not even make contact. 🤣

But I'm pretty sure when my new shafts get here I will build out my 4 and 5 to normal length. While I like the 6 iron length, I don't want to get myself to where I have to tweak every iron set length from normal.

• Like 2

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

On 3/15/2021 at 11:32 AM, NRJyzr said:

Pinhawk has a dual length system available now, with slightly shorter 6i thru wedges and 5i length on the 3-5 irons.  The 6i and 3i are different designs, look to be hollow body, in order to help with the distance and possibly trajectory.

Sounds intriguing.  From my perspective, I've usually played my wedges, at least up thru GW lofts, at same as 9i length; the PW/GW and maybe SW at 36.5" wouldn't bother me much, if at all.

Haven't hit them yet. 

KIMG0577.JPG.791532ed333c01297f53f41608ba9b0e.JPGKIMG0578.JPG.e308f8137b01f83c79d4b6037c01a510.JPGKIMG0579.JPG.2af6c26d44f6cd6c0137716dd95fa1d3.JPG

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Payton1020 said:

Haven't hit them yet. 

KIMG0577.JPG.791532ed333c01297f53f41608ba9b0e.JPGKIMG0578.JPG.e308f8137b01f83c79d4b6037c01a510.JPGKIMG0579.JPG.2af6c26d44f6cd6c0137716dd95fa1d3.JPG

Sort of in the same vein, I would love to have Srixon build me a 3, 4 and 5 ZXU utility iron tall at 39" long and 3* upright with a good graphite shaft and have matching swing weights.  Then I'd have my Edel SLS01 irons 6-GW at 37.5" and my SW and LW at 36.5". I am pretty close...I have all of this now except for the Utilities, I have the CBX119 18* hybrid, and the 22 and 25* CBX Ironwood utilities...and they are money in the bank!

• Like 2