2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

2021 PXG 0211 irons

mpetruzz

On 4/4/2021 at 6:32 PM, invertedforestgolf said:

if the pitching wedge is 42* and my current gap wedge (cbx2) is 50*, should I get another CBX2 in 46* to fill the gap or...? the set gap wedge at 48* seems to close, but may o considerably further than the 50 anyway?

You may find that the set GW at 48 and CBX2 at 50 work out just about right. I'd be more concerned about the gap between set PW and GW being six degrees, wonder if you could get the 48deg GW bent stronger to 47deg?

Edited by North Butte
  • Like 1

I picked up the original 0211s a year ago, MMT stiffs, wanted to move to lighter shafts.  I’m happy with them, no issue holding greens, easy to hit.  Distance is about what I’d expect for the lofts (no boost from face flex that I can tell).

I decided to do a proper fitting session with the regional PXG rep at our local TPC course.  He confirmed that I got lucky with my self-fitting into the MMT stiff, nailed the length, etc.  I play Ping blue, got the 0211s 1 degree up, had a tech check the lies and they were perfect.

The PXG rep didn’t think I’d get any benefit from the 2021 update.  Any extra distance would just be based on stronger lofts.  I hit the new 7 iron about the same trajectory as mine.  My guess is the 2021 version holds greens ok.  I didn’t like the cavity badge really...honestly think mine look a little better.

I still think about getting the new 2021 version 1-2 degrees weak, to get a smidgeon higher launch on my stock 3/4 iron swing.  Otherwise, I think the stronger lofts are more of an issue than a feature.

I guess I would get 6-GW in the new model (24* 6 iron!!).  If they’re bent a degree weak, then it would be 25* 6 iron, followed by 22* hybrid.  On the other end, 49* hybrid to my 54* SW is ok.  So down to 13 clubs, I walk a lot so not bad.

If anyone got the new ones weak and can report how it went, I’d be curious.

Also fwiw if you come across a deal on the original 0211s you might be just as happy with those.

Edited by rmgatl

How long to adjust to the 80 gram shafts? Did your speed increase instantly or was there an adjustment period. 

I took ping g410 with DG105s and ‘19 0211 w/TGI 80 gram shafts. I hit mmt 80 in ‘21 0211 head. The ‘21 0211 w/95 elevation and my DG105s in my longs gave me more speed than any of the 80 gram graphite shafts.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I didn't notice a difference between the Elevate 95 and the MMT 80.  I did notice a difference between the Elevate Tour and those two.  My swing speed was within 1mph between the 95 and the MMT and the dispersion was the same.  Due to injuries, I chose to go with the MMT, though he said I could go with either.  

I'm coming from heavy shafts, I currently have the original Precision Rifle Flighted 5.5 which are 120ish in the heavy shafts down to 105ish in the light shafts (the flighted progression).  It took a few swings to adjust to the lighter swing weight of the 0211 and 95 combo, but once I did it was nice and smooth.  Switching to the MMT 80 was no difference to me.  Hope this helps.

Shaft weight can be tricky...I used to have higher clubhead speed with heavier shafts because they would facilitate better transition staging.

I’m playing lighter now because of an injury and I’m older - the heavier shafts just started feeling like work over 18 holes.

The MMT stiff is a nice shaft, not flimsy at all.  I tried all the graphite shafts PXG offers and hit the MMT best.

I need a back up set and found out this 0211 is going for 99/club. Ordered 6-G last week, got it this morning. Snowing today in MN so only hit them for two hours in the dome. Feels as good as my trusty Apex CF16. Blades length looks a little too long, sole a little too thick, but I’d get used to it. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10 

Titleist 917 F2 5W

Ping 4h 5h

Vega 6-PW
Vega Alcor 50
Titleist SM 8 54
Fourteen RM4 58
Odyssey Eleven Tour Line S 

• 4 weeks later...

People shouldn’t get hung up on the lofts. The new 0211’s are the same lofts as the Ping power loft and very similar to the other OEM’s. One contributing factor is the very low CG. The new CG’s generate a weaker dynamic loft which necessitated a strengthening of the stated loft. All that said, fussing about the lofts is golf’s version of mental master...... You get the point. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, byoung20 said:

People shouldn’t get hung up on the lofts. The new 0211’s are the same lofts as the Ping power loft and very similar to the other OEM’s. One contributing factor is the very low CG. The new CG’s generate a weaker dynamic loft which necessitated a strengthening of the stated loft. All that said, fussing about the lofts is golf’s version of mental master...... You get the point. 

The new 0211’s were a little better than my OG 0211’s, but the gutter did tweak the loft 1* weaker to get some more launch. They were about 5-7 yards farther  and a little more accurate. But... he did put me in the Elevate 95 instead of the Tours that I am in now. Probably my next set will be these. 

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

48 minutes ago, rbmercer said:

why are PXG iron lengths longer than other companies standard lengths?

They aren't.

The 0211 DC irons and the Gen 4 XP irons are because they're trying to squeeze out extra distance. The rest of their irons are a half inch shorter in standard length. Other companies have jacked the lengths alongside lofts on distance / game improvement clubs too. 

G430 LST 9 Matrix 50M4 R Black Tie

BRNR Mini 11.5 Midr Proto 65R*

Epic Speed 16.5 4w 21 7w IM10 60 5.5*

Apex UW 2021 17 Smoke Black RDX 70 5.5*

Stealth DHY 17 20 23 AV Raw Blue 70R*

TSR2 21 & 24 AV Raw Blue 75R*

T350 6-48 AMT Red R300

RTX Full Face Black 54 60 KBS Hi Rev 2 115

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 CH 34in SS Pistol 1.0

Srixon  Star XV

53 minutes ago, rbmercer said:

why are PXG iron lengths longer than other companies standard lengths?

Where are you seeing this? All of Titleist's new irons have a 7 iron length of 37", the majority of Callaway's irons have a 7 iron length of 37", PING G425 irons have a 7 iron length of 37", most of Mizuno's irons have a 7 iron length of 37", and PXG irons have a 7 iron length of wait for it............37 inches.

4 minutes ago, 1Mordrid1 said:

Where are you seeing this? All of Titleist's new irons have a 7 iron length of 37", the majority of Callaway's irons have a 7 iron length of 37", PING G425 irons have a 7 iron length of 37", most of Mizuno's irons have a 7 iron length of 37", and PXG irons have a 7 iron length of wait for it............37 inches.

The 2021 0211 and 0311 XP are 1/2" longer.

• Like 1

G430 9* Ventus Velo 7s
Titleist TSI2 15* DI7s

Ping G425 19* hybrid Accra TZ6
Tour Edge XCG 24* hybrid Altus
Srixon ZX5 MKII 6-pw
Ping Stealth 2.0 50*SS, S159 54/58*SS
TP Mills Tour Fleetwood

On 5/14/2021 at 10:14 AM, 1Mordrid1 said:

Well, I’m seeing this on the PXG site itself on the specs they have listed for the new 2021 0211 irons, as you say, wait for it 👇🏼
294132EF-260A-4A29-8E13-8E9BE26BEB61.jpeg.1497d61fc30315c1a8084a2295a7b7f6.jpeg

• Haha 3

22 hours ago, hobbstc said:

I heard it was for swingweight purposes but who knows.  All I know is I love them more and more every round.  Mishits still go straight and my arm and back don’t hurt after 18 thanks to the MMTs. 

Like hobbstc, I'm loving the '21  0211's more with each round. I was fitted for mine right after not having played for 10 weeks or so. As I have been reclaiming my swing, these irons have surely performed better than I have at times. As my swing gets more consistent again they are easily meeting my desires in a club. I have no problems holding greens with them and today backed up a PW about 5' from the ball mark.

As for the length that some seem to have an issue with, I do not have any issue with it. It's a simple matter of playing the correct loft for the distance desired. The 37-1/2"  7 iron is half way between my old school 5 and 6 irons at 28*. It plays at 6 iron length and easily plays 15 yards longer thank my old 34* forged iron at 37". The flight window is perfect for me and the DG105 R shaft I now play results in a much more pain free and consistent last few holes than my old Stiff shafts. 

YMMV

• Like 2

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

• 1 month later...

I went for a PXG fitting yesterday. After a few shots with my own 7i (Apex CF19) to establish a baseline, my fitter (great guy!) put me into the MMT 60 "A" flex with the 0211DC. He started at 37" length and then 37 1/2" (their "standard" for that club) and I hit the longer shaft better. We did try a KBS graphite (terrible feel for me), the Gen3 0311XP (not good) and settled on the 0211DC, standard length and lie. However, despite the 2.5° stronger loft (or maybe because of it?) I was only getting just over a 1/2 club longer carry. I was also concerned that the MMT being more of a mid length and mid kick point shaft would not give me the higher launch conditions that I like but that was not the case at all. I think I was expecting more based on the lofts, technology and claimed distance gains. Granted, I was hitting into an approximately 10 mph breeze, had played 18 before my fitting, my first swings at the fitting with my own 7i were among my best, so maybe some fatigue had an impact.

Overall impressions of the 0211 are that it is a really great looking club, the top line thickness at address is really well hidden and looks thin, but the head length is longer and less compact that what I am used to and would normally gravitate to. I did find my less than perfect strikes were acceptable so forgiveness seems to be built into this iron. Now I have to decide if just a 1/2 club extra in carry is worth the price of if perhaps getting more familiar with the clubs and shaft would lead to even better performance over time. Also, being a "progressive" set and only having 7i heads to test, am I going to like the other irons in the set? Thoughts?

Let me just add, that the fitting was done with just "OK" range balls and using Trackman I believe distances were based pretty much on ball speed with him seeing a 3mph increase over the ball speed I was getting with the Apexx. So maybe course performance with "good" balls like the CS or Snell MTB Black might provide better results.

The half a club is only part of the question. How was dispersion? Were the "misses" less punishing and would you expect to score better? I have been very happy with the long and mid irons in the 0211DC. As for distances, my experience was that the difference was slightly longer with my game ball over the range balls. Frankly, even longer than Trackman said I would hit them.

You'll see in my signature that my set has evolved to include my old wedges rather than the 0211's. This narrowed the gapping to what I am used to. Interestingly, they blend pretty well, perhaps partly because the 0211's are a progressive set and partly just my comfort level with the Wishon short irons/wedges from years of playing them.

I'm happy with the 0211DC's. Very good performing irons. 

PXG  9* 0811 X  Hazardous Smoke Yellow 60g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 3W  Wishon Black 65g Stiff

Wishon 929HS 7W  Wishon Black 65g R 

PXG 0211 5i DG 105 Regular

Wishon 575MMC  5 - AW  Wishon Superlight Stiff

Ping Glide 3.0  54*  KBS 610 Stiff shaft

Ping Glide 3.0  60*  Z-115 Wedge shaft

PING Anser 3 Goose Neck Putter   

Yep plenty.  From Va Beach to Phoenix for example in a 48x8x8 box insured for $1000 it was only $38-$40.  And that was from me not being a business, business rates are cheaper and furthermore driving home the point that they could absorb the shipping charge.  Again the shipping is my ONLY complaint with them, I love their products, they’re all throughout my bag right now.

Edited by Cleveland_Rocks

1 hour ago, Cleveland_Rocks said:

Yep plenty.  From Va Beach to Phoenix for example in a 48x8x8 box insured for $1000 it was only $38-$40.  And that was from me not being a business, business rates are cheaper and furthermore driving home the point that they could absorb the shipping charge.  Again the shipping is my ONLY complaint with them, I love their products, they’re all throughout my bag right now.

See the other thread about getting free shipping from PXG. Just saying.

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

I worked with a pxg fitter for an hour comparing my ‘19 0211s to the new ‘21 model. I really like the MMT80 stiff shafts and we confirmed that as the best shaft fit. I hit the new model fine, same as my set, just about a half club stronger lofts.

Bottom line, the fitter suggested I had nothing to gain going to the new version and if anything the strong lofts created issues.  So, love the clubs but if you see a deal on the ‘19 version, IMO you won’t miss much going that way.

I really like pxg and the 0211s are a bargain.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, rmgatl said:

I worked with a pxg fitter for an hour comparing my ‘19 0211s to the new ‘21 model. I really like the MMT80 stiff shafts and we confirmed that as the best shaft fit. I hit the new model fine, same as my set, just about a half club stronger lofts.

Bottom line, the fitter suggested I had nothing to gain going to the new version and if anything the strong lofts created issues.  So, love the clubs but if you see a deal on the ‘19 version, IMO you won’t miss much going that way.

I really like pxg and the 0211s are a bargain.

Good review. I found the same thing when comparing the OG 0211's to the new ones. They are good, but the OG's are really good. I did a fitting and moved on to the Gen3 P's, but holding on to mine until I play a round with the Gen3's. Don't want to sell mine too early. 

Have to say it was a close call moving onto the Gen3's from the OG 0211's. Just wanted something new and shiny.

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick