2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

DJ removes himself from Olympic consideration?...

Yuck

5 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

At least Weiskopf played in two Ryder Cups. 

DJ finds appearance fees more important, not his pro career.

You forgot to add “imo”.  He is a lifetime member with over 20 wins. Seems fine to me. IMO of course.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

3 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I honestly had forgot until you said that.   I barely remember watching them play.  And I don’t worship the olympics.  It’s a literal den of thieves.  

I agree that the Olympic Committee is as corrupt as they come (FIFA makes a strong case too), but winning an Olympic medal is an incredible honor and I think a lot of players are regretting missing Brazil.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping G425 Crossover 3, i20 4-PW (DI-95X, PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

1 minute ago, Holy Moses said:

I agree that the Olympic Committee is as corrupt as they come (FIFA makes a strong case too), but winning an Olympic medal is an incredible honor and I think a lot of players are regretting missing Brazil.

Only person I’ve heard mention it was rose and stenson.  I just don’t hear any buzz about it.  

I don’t know.  My personal view is that the Olympic medal luster went away sometime in the 80s . Last time I recall caring about an event was Michael Johnson  in the 4x4 relay in 92.  I started running about that time , and couldn’t be a bigger track and field fan. But.  The world finals and the other various large meets are by far a better watch.  The olympics since 96 just seem so over the top.  I barely follow it at all. 

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

6 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Only person I’ve heard mention it was rose and stenson.  I just don’t hear any buzz about it.  

I don’t know.  My personal view is that the Olympic medal luster went away sometime in the 80s . Last time I recall caring about an event was Michael Johnson  in the 4x4 relay in 92.  I started running about that time , and couldn’t be a bigger track and field fan. But.  The world finals and the other various large meets are by far a better watch.  The olympics since 96 just seem so over the top.  I barely follow it at all. 

Rory, Spieth, and Day have changed their minds on Olympic golf. I don’t have as much of a problem with someone who doesn’t want to play. I have a problem with someone not wanting to travel when they’ll take millions in appearance fees and spend 40 hours in a plane to get it. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.olympicchannel.com/en/stories/news/detail/rory-mcilroy-rio-regrets-and-tokyo-2020/

• Like 2

Ping Vault Arna

9 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

The Dream Team was something to care about. So was Michael Phelps’ run. So was the ‘96 US Women’s Gymnastics team. So is Simone Biles. 

• Like 2

Ping Vault Arna

18 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

Rory, Spieth, and Day have changed their minds on Olympic golf. I don’t have as much of a problem with someone who doesn’t want to play. I have a problem with someone not wanting to travel when they’ll take millions in appearance fees and spend 40 hours in a plane to get it. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.olympicchannel.com/en/stories/news/detail/rory-mcilroy-rio-regrets-and-tokyo-2020/

Well.   It’s obvious he doesn’t want to play.  Regardless of the reason. 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I'm sure being at the Olympics and the Olympic Village are once in a lifetime experiences but the Olympics as a golf venue makes very little sense. tv coverage will be spotty at best. The golf isn't a traditional Olympic sport so I would imagine that the coverage will be pushed to the secondary and third channels or worse if at all. That is a far cry from representing your country in a Ryder or a Presidents Cup where the matches would receive primary network coverage on the afternoon and weekend matches. The crowds in Japan will at least be knowledgeable but many Olympic venues would not be as knowledgeable. It certainly wouldn't have a Ryder Cup feel to it or anything close to it because its not a team event. I'm sure the players will have wonderful experiences like Rickie did but I can't blast a guy for saying he doesn't want to travel halfway across the globe for this. The travel restrictions being put in place would make it even less desirable this time around. What would be the point of traveling to Japan only to have the whole tourist experience gutted.  

1 hour ago, Soloman1 said:

I think the Japanese golf culture would be too much of a shock for western golfers to adapt to. First, there's the tee ceremony. Then they would have to get used to taking their shoes off and on at every green. And then the speeches before every round and at the medal ceremonies last longer than the round itself. I wonder if they'll have to stop for an hour at the turn and have lunch like everyone else in Japan?

I don't think they'll ever get used to the little bell sound when a ball drops in a hole. And then there's the hole-in-one problem. They'd have to buy hole-in-one insurance because in Japan they don't give you a car, you have to buy cars for the other people in your group.

I think that's why they might want to bow out... so to speak.

And then there's the weather. The Tokyo area at the end of July, beginning of August, is basically, well, like a jungle. It's 95/95 weather - 95°F with 95% humidity.

And then there's the course, Kasumigaseki Country Club. It's a ride and a half from the Olympic village on the waterfront of Tokyo where everyone will be required to stay. I would say at least a miserable hour drive each way. And if that isn't enough, they will be sleeping on cardboard beds that can be recycled after the olympics. You think I'm kidding, but I'm not. Look it up if you don't believe me.

But wait, there's more. Kasumigaseki CC is like going back into the 1960's. I've played there a couple of times and the east course they'll be playing is a good course, but they'll need to bring their own oxygen tanks because it's so stuffy. This is the course of politicians, status seekers, concrete company bosses (Japan pours more concrete every year than any other country in the world) and the average age of members is 134 years old.

About the only thing in this post that DJ can get along with is the 95/95 weather. Being that he’s from the midlands of SC. He’s completely at home in a near 100 % humidity climate with temps that can see 100 several days of the year.  And   Mosquitos are our state bird.  Lol. 

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

13 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Mosquitos are our state bird.

Ha! Good one.

However, Japanese humidity is "special." It's humidity carried down from the mountains by ninja samurai as a by-product of hammering out custom forged iron heads in thatched huts.

• Haha 2

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

I think he has made a smart decision. 

The end of the season is busy, especially if the Ryder Cup goes ahead. Flying to the UK for the Open, then on to the Olympics, back for the close of the season. 

Taylormade Sim 2 Max - 10.5 Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR3 - @15.75 Tensei 1K Black 75X
Titleist TSR3 Hybrid - @20 Tensei 1K Black 85X

Titleist 620 CB  - 4 iron - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Titleist 620 MB - 5-pw - Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100

Vokey SM9 - 52.08, 56S  & 60M Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour X - X3
Titleist - Pro V1

1 hour ago, aenemated said:

Yeah, if you're like ... 16. 

If you're talented in some sport like, say, Michael Phelps and that's the best opportunity for a life you have - sure, rock on with some OIympics. And that is not a slight at Phelps who is an amazing if not legendary athlete but ... I ain't seen any swimming competitions on the news lately. And my fat old a** hasn't bought any Michael Phelps Speedos. 

Professional golfers play for millions of dollars every week. Why would any of them split for a couple weeks to play in something utterly meaningless to anyone born in the last 40 years? And especially when there's a major tournament in golf coming up after? 

I don't blame DJ one f****** bit and I respect him more for speaking the truth. 

I don't think people stop enjoying the things that the Olympic village is famous for after the age of 16. In fact many haven't started doing them yet!

I agree though the Olympics seems incredibly forced these days. And knowing that they do to countries that host it, the demands, the corruption and payoffs etc...It's all very yucky.

If you need to the olympics for your career (like swimmers or track stars)...i get it. Also if you're 25 and single and want to go hook up with a girl from every country in Europe, i also get it. 

• Like 4

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

4 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

I think the Japanese golf culture would be too much of a shock for western golfers to adapt to. First, there's the tee ceremony. Then they would have to get used to taking their shoes off and on at every green. And then the speeches before every round and at the medal ceremonies last longer than the round itself. I wonder if they'll have to stop for an hour at the turn and have lunch like everyone else in Japan?

I don't think they'll ever get used to the little bell sound when a ball drops in a hole. And then there's the hole-in-one problem. They'd have to buy hole-in-one insurance because in Japan they don't give you a car, you have to buy cars for the other people in your group.

I think that's why they might want to bow out... so to speak.

And then there's the weather. The Tokyo area at the end of July, beginning of August, is basically, well, like a jungle. It's 95/95 weather - 95°F with 95% humidity.

And then there's the course, Kasumigaseki Country Club. It's a ride and a half from the Olympic village on the waterfront of Tokyo where everyone will be required to stay. I would say at least a miserable hour drive each way. And if that isn't enough, they will be sleeping on cardboard beds that can be recycled after the olympics. You think I'm kidding, but I'm not. Look it up if you don't believe me.

But wait, there's more. Kasumigaseki CC is like going back into the 1960's. I've played there a couple of times and the east course they'll be playing is a good course, but they'll need to bring their own oxygen tanks because it's so stuffy. This is the course of politicians, status seekers, concrete company bosses (Japan pours more concrete every year than any other country in the world) and the average age of members is 134 years old.

You just reminded me..

If anybody got Amazon Prime, there’s the 2 awesome Yakuza movies for free.

Beyond Outrage and

Outrage Coda

They insane combo of violence and, yet somehow, hilarity. Most stone cold gangsters of all time. 

They part of a trilogy. The first one “Outrage”, you have to pay for, thinkin about  it....

221D9654-430C-4016-BEB5-7D67AD410AA2.jpeg

Its his call obviously -
One of the things from Rio was golfers saying how amazing it was to be part of a huge team in a global event - a completely different experience to their day to day life.

As a competition and here its stands in professional achievements it may not rank highly, but as a life experience it can be a highlight.

If you want to experience it and embrace it, expanding your horizons -absolutely!

If you want to stay doing the usual stuff - its up to you.

Taylor Made SIM max 10.5 - Aldila Rogue 110 60 s

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15 - Even Flow Blue 6.0

Srixon zu85 3i / Titleist TS2 5w

Titleist TMb 4i

Mizuno Mp59 5-pw - KBS C-taper lite S

Vokey SM6 52, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron Newport

2 hours ago, aenemated said:

Yeah, if you're like ... 16. 

If you're talented in some sport like, say, Michael Phelps and that's the best opportunity for a life you have - sure, rock on with some OIympics. And that is not a slight at Phelps who is an amazing if not legendary athlete but ... I ain't seen any swimming competitions on the news lately. And my fat old a** hasn't bought any Michael Phelps Speedos. 

Professional golfers play for millions of dollars every week. Why would any of them split for a couple weeks to play in something utterly meaningless to anyone born in the last 40 years? And especially when there's a major tournament in golf coming up after? 

I don't blame DJ one f****** bit and I respect him more for speaking the truth. 

Exactly. For track or swimming or  gymnastics, the olympics is the super bowl.   For golf it’s maybe # 8 behind 4 majors. The players , the Ryder cup , a and the presidents cup , in no particular order.  So maybe 8th.  Lol. 

• Like 2

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

10 hours ago, Holy Moses said:

At least Weiskopf played in two Ryder Cups. 

DJ finds appearance fees more important, not his pro career.

Interesting take. Appearance fees are 100% tied to his pro career and the Olympics 0%.  Did you mean to say something else? Because your conclusion that the Olympics impacts his professional career while appearance fees do not is interesting to say the least. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

You just reminded me..

Beyond Outrage and

Outrage Coda

They insane combo of violence and, yet somehow, hilarity. Most stone cold gangsters of all time. 

They part of a trilogy. The first one “Outrage”, you have to pay for, thinkin about  it....

Are they as good as Fast and Furious: Tokyo Drift? Cause thats another great Yakuza movie

• Haha 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

3 minutes ago, golfandfishing said:

Interesting take. Appearance fees are 100% tied to his pro career and the Olympics 0%.  Did you mean to say something else? Because your conclusion that the Olympics impacts his professional career while appearance fees do not is interesting to say the least. 

I’m comparing and contrasting appearance fees and traveling and his pro career. There’s no reason to fly to Saudi Arabia except for appearance fees. That tournament doesn’t help his pro career compared to a tournament in the US. Don’t give me the flying excuse because that’s pretty low on the list. If DJ was offered the appearance fee he got for the Saudi International to play in the Olympics, he’d fly there in an instant, pro career be damned.

• Like 1

Ping Vault Arna

48 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

You just reminded me..

Beyond Outrage and

Outrage Coda

Watch Giri/Haji on Netflix

You will love it

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, gvogel said:

Didn't DJ get slammed for some remarks that he made when he visited Paris?

Well.  When you’re from the best state in the union , to be honest , it’s kind of a let down when you travel. And folks don’t take kindly to the truth at times.  Lol. 

besides. He’s probably seen Tokyo drift. Can you imagine the aggravation of shlepping In and out of those tiny cars to get anywhere ?  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

12 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

I’m comparing and contrasting appearance fees and traveling and his pro career. There’s no reason to fly to Saudi Arabia except for appearance fees. That tournament doesn’t help his pro career compared to a tournament in the US. Don’t give me the flying excuse because that’s pretty low on the list. If DJ was offered the appearance fee he got for the Saudi International to play in the Olympics, he’d fly there in an instant, pro career be damned.

There’s no reason to fly to Saudi Arabia except for appearance fees”

exactly my point - the appearance fee is a defining point of his pro career. Do you know what “professional” means?  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, golfandfishing said:

There’s no reason to fly to Saudi Arabia except for appearance fees”

exactly my point - the appearance fee is a defining point of his pro career. Do you know what “professional” means?  

Yep. I agree with his statement too.  And see no issue with it.  $ would make a huge difference.  Money talks and bull..... well. You know.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, MtlJeff said:

I don't think people stop enjoying the things that the Olympic village is famous for after the age of 16. In fact many haven't started doing them yet!

I agree though the Olympics seems incredibly forced these days. And knowing that they do to countries that host it, the demands, the corruption and payoffs etc...It's all very yucky.

If you need to the olympics for your career (like swimmers or track stars)...i get it. Also if you're 25 and single and want to go hook up with a girl from every country in Europe, i also get it. 

If you need to the olympics for your career (like swimmers or track stars)...i get it. Also if you're 25 and single and want to go hook up with a girl from every country in Europe, i also get it. 

Not everyone can be @Mtljeff and have the girls available without a gold medal around our necks. 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar