Anyone tested ‘21 V1X or TP5X vs Tour BX?

hammergolf

Man the BX is just a unicorn! Boy is it long and straight off the tee and does everything else so good. 

G-Bone does make me wanna try the 21 TP5x…. But the BX is so good! 

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

2021 TP5X 4 packs are under $40 a dozen at Dicks. I might switch from the 2021 ProV1X for that.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

12 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

Man the BX is just a unicorn! Boy is it long and straight off the tee and does everything else so good. 

G-Bone does make me wanna try the 21 TP5x…. But the BX is so good! 

I spent a fair amount more time testing 21 TP5x against BX.

TP5x is a good ball, but I can confidently say it did not do anything better than BX... but for me, a solid second place.

• Thanks 1

PING G430 Max 10K Driver 8º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 5

PING G430 Max 3 Wood 14º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 6

Titleist TSr2 5 Wood 18º ~ GD Tour AD-IZ 7

Titleist TSr2 7 Wood 21º ~ GD Tour AD-XC 8

Srixon ZX4 Mk II Irons 5–7 ~ Project X IO 6.0

Srixon ZX5 Mk II Irons 8–P ~ Project X IO 6.0

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Odyssey  Tri-Hot 5K Three ~ BGT Stability Tour 2 Polar
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

1 hour ago, G-Bone said:

TP5x is a good ball, but I can confidently say it did not do anything better than BX... but for me, a solid second place.

Understood. I’ll continue on with the BX. Amazing ball. Shot my best round in 15 years with it yesterday. 

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

20 hours ago, G-Bone said:

I played the TourBX last season. The 2021 ProV1X is incrementally enough better than the 2019 version that I made the switch. I was blown away that it held its own against the CSX-LS and Tour BX... that was always my hangup playing Titleist before.

The balls now are all so good, and TM finally got rid of that ridiculous seam. 

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

22 hours ago, G-Bone said:

G-Bone,

I play the V1x. I dont need more driver distance. If anything, I need straighter flight. I dont create much greenside spin, which I need to change. Would the BX fit better than the V1x?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tlaughlin479 said:

G-Bone,

I play the V1x. I dont need more driver distance. If anything, I need straighter flight. I dont create much greenside spin, which I need to change. Would the BX fit better than the V1x?

I fear sounding like a broken record… so I apologize upfront… But for me, the BX is just that good.

In my experience, V1x was in last place of the three balls mentioned in the title, when comparing driver accuracy and green side spin.

In my testing, BX won the green side spin by a wide margin with 21 TP5x coming in second.

When comparing straight flight off the tee I found BX and 21 TP5x to be virtually interchangeable. 

Hope this helps!

• Like 2

Vokey Design SM9 Raw Wedges 'Voke' Handground 50.12F • 56.08M • 62.08M ~ Project X 6.0
Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

24 minutes ago, G-Bone said:

I fear sounding like a broken record… so I apologize upfront… But for me, the BX is just that good.

In my experience, V1x was in last place of the three balls mentioned in the title, when comparing driver accuracy and green side spin.

In my testing, BX won the green side spin by a wide margin with 21 TP5x coming in second.

When comparing straight flight off the tee I found BX and 21 TP5x to be virtually interchangeable. 

Hope this helps!

G-Bone, Ive played the TP5 for quite a few years but lately Im getting so much spin with short irons and wedges that its hurting my game.  I tested the 21 TP5X recently and that was a good change in this department but durability was a bit of an issue.  Im wondering if you think the BX would be a good option.  Ive read above you said its also high spin with short irons/ wedges.  How do you think it compares to the TP5 on that front (hoping that it is less spin than the TP5 on those clubs).

Cobra LTDx VA Composites Drago 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5 deg fairway VA Composites Drago 75S

Titleist TSi2 21 deg fairway VA Composites Drago 75S

Titleist AP3 4-PW+48 Tour AMT white x100

Vokey SM9 54.10S (@53) 

Vokey SM9 58.08M

Taylormade Spider EX putter

ProV1X

On 5/23/2021 at 9:06 PM, G-Bone said:

I’ve been playing both and for me the big difference is the durability of the TP5x, or lack there of. Big scuffs out of bunkers, etc. I played Bridgestone balls all last season and the durability was excellent. Going to play out the rest of this season with the BX. Awesome ball.

• Like 1

I played the BX all last year and found it a solid ball for sure. I do believe the "white" 21V1X spins more around the greens for me. It also spins WAY too much for me on full wedge shots. I just played a tournament and put the "white" V1X into play. It was blowing steady 15 with gusts of 25. The BX by far handles the wind much better than the "white" V1X. The "white' V1X def has a softer touch with the putter though. I first tried the YELLOW V1X and immediately went back to the BX (way to hard) the yellow seems like a totally different ball this year especially compared to the white V1X... I am currently torn between the "white" V1X and the BX ball. This will require more testing on my part but if I was teeing it up again in a tourney tomorrow it would "BX" all the way...

• Like 1

PING G430 Max 8 degree (digitally lofted) TR Blue 6X tipped .5". 44.5" D4 

G430 17 HY DI HY 85 X

TSR2 21 HY DI HY 85 X

4 THRU PW King Tour KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 48 "F" KBS $ Taper 120

VOKEY 54 "F" S400

VOKEY 60 "V" S400

SCOTTY CAMERON T11 BGT POLAR SHAFT SAND BLASTED TO MATCH HEAD... FLATSO 1.0

HOOFER LITE BLACK CAMO 

19 hours ago, G-Bone said:

Hope this helps!

Yes sir, it does. Thank you for the information. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, G-Bone said:

Hey, buckethat, you are correct; TP5 will have a fair amount more spin with short irons and wedges than 21 TP5x and BX.

In my playing and testing, I've found BX has more bite than TP5x - perhaps 10-15%. For my game, TP5x hits and often rolls past my intended target.  Whereas BX hits and bites - minus pulling back and making a good pin high shot a 10 foot uphill putt that I would get with a TP5.

Referring to my statement of BX being "high spin." To put it in context, I find BX to be the "highest spinning ball" on approach shots out of all the "low spinning" long game balls... if that makes sense. In other words, BX spins more into greens for me than V1, TP5x, CSX LS, and –V1x.

Perfect explanation thanks a lot - Im going to give it a go

• Like 1

Vokey SM9 54.10S (@53) 

Vokey SM9 58.08M

ProV1X

I am still struggling to find the ball I want to play this year. All last year I played the BX, I enjoyed it, but just felt something missing off the driver with it. Driver SS is 96. 

I am looking for high launch, firm, mid/low spin. Too firm for my liking (Zstar XV and ‘19 TP5X)

So far this year I have tried ‘21 TP5X, MTBX,  CSXLS, and CSX. I probably won’t try the ‘21 Pro1vx as every year I have tried that it just never works for me. Has the height but too much spin, I loose a half a club distance off irons. 

‘21 TP5X checks the boxes for me with height and feel off the irons and wedges, with the firmness off the putter. Driver it seemed like it wasn’t going anywhere and spinning too much. 

MTBX reminds me of the BX everywhere but around the green it has lower spin and off the putter it felt dead so that was a no for me pretty quick. 

CSX and CSXLS I thought the LS felt softer/hotter off the face, really liked it off the driver and woods, it was like a rocket. It plays a little low but feel was really good. Off the irons height was lower than I like but feeling was still really nice. The CSX felt harder than the LS, the CSX was lower off everything and didn’t have the pop for me like the LS did. Spin was fine into the greens and around the greens with the LS, I don’t play shots that require me to stop it next to the hole, I always play for a little hop and roll. 

If the LS was higher launching like the ‘21 TP5X it would be better for me. I will probably continue to play the BX as it close to what I like but doesn’t pop off the driver like the LS. 

• Like 1

Dr: TSi3 10 Ventus Red 6s

F: TS2 16.5 Ventus Red 7s

H: 915h 18 and 24 diamana s+

I: P770 5-PW Steelfiber i95s

W: MG3 49, 54, 58 dg115

P: Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 w/      custom CT Tour shaft (custom red,white,blue paint fill with stars & stripes headcover)

B: BX / TP5X 

Snell MTB-X vs the BX today and the BX wins in all aspects. No question. BX is a unicorn ball. 

• Like 1

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

36 minutes ago, elwhippy said:

Used a TP5X yesterday as weather has jumped 10 degrees. Feels much softer than last model. Awesome control around the greens but not great for distance. Not a scratch after 3 bunkers and a couple of issues with trees. 

TP5X not great for distance compared to what other ball/s ?

Softness wise it’s on another level compared to the 2019 version I agree. And I’ve not even used it in really hot temps yet…

Can’t wait to do a head to head with CSX-LS when the Yellow versions hit the UK’s shores.

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

Lots of great comments and commentary on the BX, but I'm wondering if their marketing is correct whether I should be playing it or the BRX if my driver clubbed speed is in the upper 90s?  My primary concern is spinning wedges off of relatively soft greens.  Distance isn't a huge concern at the course I most often play, so spinning balls off the greens is the primary issue with elastomer cover balls.

11 hours ago, tjones38401 said:

Lots of great comments and commentary on the BX, but I'm wondering if their marketing is correct whether I should be playing it or the BRX if my driver clubbed speed is in the upper 90s?  My primary concern is spinning wedges off of relatively soft greens.  Distance isn't a huge concern at the course I most often play, so spinning balls off the greens is the primary issue with elastomer cover balls.

As you suspected, the 105 ball speed is more of a marketing guideline than a hard rule.  Ultimately, Bridgestone uses swing speeds to put their ball in "categories," and they believe swing speed is one thing most players know about themselves. 

Using myself as an example - My average driver swing is 100 mph. But after going through a ball fitting and playing several rounds with multiple balls, I a firm fit into BX... It suites my swing and playing style.  So you may want to give a couple of them a try.

Here is a list of wedge spin from highest to lowest:
1. BXS
2. BX
3. RXS
4. RX

One of the universal things that make the RX and RXS longer for most slower swingers is that those two balls have less overall spin than BX and BXS.

• Like 3

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

18 hours ago, tjones38401 said:

Try them both. I like the BRX at the beginning of the season and then to the BX when my swing feels better. Both great balls

I'll never do a ball review as well as @G-Bone, so I'll just echo some of what he said. I've played the V1/V1x this year, and bought a sleeve of Tour B X's a couple weeks ago to try out. I am blown away by how good the ball is. I haven't tested the new TP5x against them (I played the TP5x with occasional TP5 usage from 2017-2019), but I always enjoyed the old one. Honestly, if I hadn't jumped on the Vice train and went Pro Plus for the money savings (and the fact I think it's a great ball), I would play the Tour B X. Thing is stupid long off the driver, great feel throughout the bag, stopped really well on those little greenside shots, seemed to hold in the wind as much as any ball will for me and was just genuinely impressed by it. I still say it's maybe the best ball currently on the market if you fit within its window. No knock at all on the Pro V's, they're still great balls, that Bridgestone just all around flat out performs. 

• Like 3

On 6/9/2021 at 9:25 AM, G-Bone said:

As you suspected, the 105 ball speed is more of a marketing guideline than a hard rule.  Ultimately, Bridgestone uses swing speeds to put their ball in "categories," and they believe swing speed is one thing most players know about themselves. 

Using myself as an example - My average driver swing is 100 mph. But after going through a ball fitting and playing several rounds with multiple balls, I a firm fit into BX... It suites my swing and playing style.  So you may want to give a couple of them a try.

Here is a list of wedge spin from highest to lowest:
1. BXS
2. BX
3. RXS
4. RX

One of the universal things that make the RX and RXS longer for most slower swingers is that those two balls have less overall spin than BX and BXS.

How was the distance of the BXS compared to the BX?  I have played the BXS a few years ago and played the 330s before that.  I dabbled in the TP5X last year and am looking to go back to Bridgestone.  The online fitting put me in the BX, which I almost always was fit to the S version.  

Great write-ups by the way!!!  Lots to digest when you take a year off unexpectedly. 

19 hours ago, naedward812 said:

How was the distance of the BXS compared to the BX?  I have played the BXS a few years ago and played the 330s before that.  I dabbled in the TP5X last year and am looking to go back to Bridgestone.  The online fitting put me in the BX, which I almost always was fit to the S version.  

Great write-ups by the way!!!  Lots to digest when you take a year off unexpectedly. 

Welcome back to the game, and thank you for the kind words!

I find the BXS a bit shorter than BX overall. 

I lose about half a club with irons and wedges – mainly because of the lower launch, and additional spin BXS provides over BX.

I find BXS to be close with driver, but into a strong wind or softer fairways, BX wins in the 5-10 yard range.

In the cooler temperatures, I play BXS and don't have an issue quickly adapting to the different yardages.

My club has wicked firm and fast greens, and I am giving some thought to giving the BXS a go this summer to see if it may give me another level of control. 

Edited by G-Bone
  • Like 3

Titleist Pro V1x ~ #12

Thanks @G-Bone I ordered the X and will have it in play all weekend.  I also found @hammergolf's comparison (a great Bridgestone comparison read) from the old XS to the new with the X in there and helped solidify what you have said and got a little more in depth with the ball I used to play. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, naedward812 said:

Thanks @G-Bone I ordered the X and will have it in play all weekend.  I also found @hammergolf's comparison (a great Bridgestone comparison read) from the old XS to the new with the X in there and helped solidify what you have said and got a little more in depth with the ball I used to play. 

Thanks for the mention. Play well!

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

I have 2 rounds under my belt with the BX and I’m kicking myself for not playing it sooner. I played the Pro V1x before and for me the BX is so much better. Much longer off the tee (legitimately 15 yards - I’m assuming due to lower spin), I’m able to flight it in the wind WAY better, still great check around the greens, very durable and feels good. I’m likely going to buy the 3 pack deal that’s out and not look back. Highly recommend. 

Edited by bryanwmilburn
  • Like 4

Driver: PXG Black Ops 8 degree w/Ventus Black 6X
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Modus 105X
Wedges: Scratch wedge 53 degree, Cleveland RTX Zip Core 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Odyssey Cruiser Jailbird
Ball: 2024 Bridgestone BX

On 5/26/2021 at 3:23 AM, G-Bone said:

Hey, buckethat, you are correct; TP5 will have a fair amount more spin with short irons and wedges than 21 TP5x and BX.

In my playing and testing, I've found BX has more bite than TP5x - perhaps 10-15%. For my game, TP5x hits and often rolls past my intended target.  Whereas BX hits and bites - minus pulling back and making a good pin high shot a 10 foot uphill putt that I would get with a TP5.

Referring to my statement of BX being "high spin." To put it in context, I find BX to be the "highest spinning ball" on approach shots out of all the "low spinning" long game balls... if that makes sense. In other words, BX spins more into greens for me than V1, TP5x, CSX LS, and –V1x.

Finally got a sleeve of the Tour BX on the weekend for 18 holes including some windy play. I was very happy with the ball - as you said an excellent compromise between length off the driver with minimal curve, bit more with the mid irons and then not overspinning with the short irons and wedges (which was my problem with the TP5).  Close to TP5X which was also very good but I found had durability issues.  The condition of the BX at the end of the round was as good as Ive seen with any ball Ive tested.  There was little/no wear. Very good spin around the greens and a soft feel compared to comparable balls that are much firmer.  This is definitely going to be my gamer this year - a very balanced ball that suits my game and playing conditions perfectly -  thanks for the reviews and advice.

Edited by buckethat72
  • Like 4

Vokey SM9 54.10S (@53) 

Vokey SM9 58.08M

ProV1X

Just had 2 Eagles in one round with the BX.

This ball just does everything just how I want it. Low spin and not a lot of curve off the driver. Tons of spin on the wedges and feels soft for an X category ball

It will be interesting to see what the next gen is like. Based on what Bryson is saying I bet they lower the spin a little 

Edited by kasting333
  • Like 2

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S