G425 LST vs TSi3

Tee1up4

Anyone have an apples to apples comparison?? Have the G425 LST with Ventus black in my bag now. Too be honest it’s great for me. My bad miss is a slice into the next county. Put the weight in the toe and it’s been an awesome club for me. 

However, have hit the TSi3 a few times at GG with the Smoke RDX. Can’t get it outta my head lol. Just wondering if anyone has a true comparison. 

I’ve compared them a couple times inside at golf stores. Like the feel/sound of tsi better, but 425 lst was WAY more consistent. Don’t like that tsi is so shiny. Think would be issue in sun. Tsi was very punishing if missed sweet spot and drop off was quite a bit. Both fairly low spinning for me. Have seen some big Titleist players switch back to TS3 including JT which I always find interesting. Almost all Ping staffers have switched to the 425 and majority into the LST. Lots of them played the regular G410 previously which surprised me. I read comparisons on these where people said the Ping beat the TSI 8 or 9 out of 10 times on course and hitting fairways. I’m not ready to drop that much $$, otherwise would have the Ping. 

Ping G410+ 9° with tour shaft
Titleist TSR3 19 hybrid

Ping S55 3-pw x100
Vokey 52/56/60
Scotty Newport 2

I moved from a 410 LST to a TSi3. I don’t think the TSi3 is punishing at all. I’ve put some ugly swings on mine and have been more than happy with the results. I’m playing the Titleist 1 1/2” longer (46”) than I played my Ping last season (44 1/2”) and haven’t really had a drop off in accuracy. The Titleist is certainly longer for me. I hit the longest drive of my life with it on Friday. The Ping feels a bit more stable, but if you strike it pretty close to the center you shouldn’t notice too much difference. 

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

• 4 weeks later...

I started the season with a TSi3 and I currently have a G425 LST in the mail. TSi3 is long and low spin but not very stable. I’ve hit some ugly hooks with it from toe strikes. Hoping to find some more consistency with the Ping. 

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9* Ventus TR Red 6X BRNR Mini 13.5* Diamana ZF 70X

Paradym 💎💎💎T 18* Ventus Red 8X

ZX Utility 4 iron Steelfiber 110X

P7TW 5-PW DG Tour Issue X100

SM10 Jet Black 52F, 56S, 60M DG Tour Issue S400

Odyssey Versa #7

Pro V1X

On 4/7/2021 at 9:01 AM, Lloyd_Christmas29 said:

I started the season with a TSi3 and I currently have a G425 LST in the mail. TSi3 is long and low spin but not very stable. I’ve hit some ugly hooks with it from toe strikes. Hoping to find some more consistency with the Ping. 

G425 LST with Ventus Black has been/is the most consistent driver I’ve ever played. I have a 9* head on the little + and weight in the toe. Can go after it as hard as I want and hit nice little cuts. It seems damn near impossible to turn over which is great for me because I don’t like to see driver go left. In my

opinion, not enough people have tried/are talking about how good this driver is.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tee1up4 said:

G425 LST with Ventus Black has been/is the most consistent driver I’ve ever played. I have a 9* head on the little + and weight in the toe. Can go after it as hard as I want and hit nice little cuts. It seems damn near impossible to turn over which is great for me because I don’t like to see driver go left. In my

opinion, not enough people have tried/are talking about how good this driver is.

Putting the weight in the toe is magnifying your slice miss (OP).

When I tested the G425 LST indoors and outdoors I found a strong fade bias. I'm pretty brand loyal to Ping so this was a disappointing finding for me. Maybe I would need to fiddle more with adapter settings and adjustable weight.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Strategery said:

Putting the weight in the toe is magnifying your slice miss (OP).

When I tested the G425 LST indoors and outdoors I found a strong fade bias. I'm pretty brand loyal to Ping so this was a disappointing finding for me. Maybe I would need to fiddle more with adapter settings and adjustable weight.

That’s not true for me. I wish they wouldn’t label the weight shifter as “draw” or “fade”. All your doing is moving the CG. So for me. I’m usually

a hair high and toe side, having the weight in the toe is perfect at mitigating the slice. 

33 minutes ago, Cactus Jack said:

Eight weeks to the day a few new a Srixon ZX5 driver and ZX 3 wood landed on my front porch. 

BE9B5E38-401B-4688-9318-18F3F48AE70A.jpeg

4F3C5AD8-8F0E-4546-A0B0-3DDB4302CF0A.jpeg

264BE4C7-84D0-4193-A75B-6679920B9A09.jpeg

DBAC7983-6A77-492D-94FE-B1EBC8DBA943.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Tee1up4 said:

That’s not true for me. I wish they wouldn’t label the weight shifter as “draw” or “fade”. All your doing is moving the CG. So for me. I’m usually

a hair high and toe side, having the weight in the toe is perfect at mitigating the slice. 

That makes sense for a solid strike as you’re effectively moving more mass behind your contact point.

However, moving the CG toe side will keep the face more open and aid in hitting the ball right. Depending on the model movable weights can impact direction by up to 20-30 yards. Meaning if the weight is in the toe, and you slice the ball, your right miss will be exacerbated. At least that what the marketing hype tells us, and what I’ve experienced first hand. 

side note, sound and feel is why I went with a TSI3 vs the 425. Performance was similar enough, but the experience striking balls was totally different. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tee1up4 said:

Like, but thats what it does?! It impacts closure rate

I hit both TSi3 and 425LST with Ventus Black in my fitting, and the numbers were extremely similar (TSi was 100-200 rpm lower spinning).  Went with the Ping for the tighter dispersion and stability.  Both heads are great.  The secret sauce is the Ventus Black 

Edited by tlehmann

Ping G425 LST 9* / Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

Taylormade BRNR Mini Driver 13.5* / Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 7X

Callaway UW 19* / Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 8X

Ping iCrossover 18* / Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85X

Ping i230 4-U / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 X100

Titleist SM9 54.10S / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Titleist SM9 60.04T / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping PLD Custom Prime Tyne S / BGT Stability Tour Black

Titleist ProV1

Ping Hoofer

1 hour ago, tlehmann said:

I hit both TSi3 and 425LST with Ventus Black in my fitting, and the numbers were extremely similar (TSi was 100-200 rpm lower spinning).  Went with the Ping for the tighter dispersion and stability.  Both heads are great.  The secret sauce is the Ventus Black 

Yeah it must be. It’s an incredible shaft. Have it in my 3 wood as well. Wish they made the black in a non tx flex. 

7 hours ago, Cactus Jack said:

That makes sense for a solid strike as you’re effectively moving more mass behind your contact point.

However, moving the CG toe side will keep the face more open and aid in hitting the ball right. Depending on the model movable weights can impact direction by up to 20-30 yards. Meaning if the weight is in the toe, and you slice the ball, your right miss will be exacerbated. At least that what the marketing hype tells us, and what I’ve experienced first hand. 

side note, sound and feel is why I went with a TSI3 vs the 425. Performance was similar enough, but the experience striking balls was totally different. 

So strange... I had the exact opposite effect as you. I’ve spent a lot of time on the range tinkering with the driver including loft and different settings. 9* turned up to little + and weight in the toe is far and away the winner for dispersion/distance. Tried it a lot in the heel and I couldn’t keep it from slicing super hard. Different strokes for different folks. Glad it works for both of us either way! 

1 hour ago, Tee1up4 said:

So strange... I had the exact opposite effect as you. I’ve spent a lot of time on the range tinkering with the driver including loft and different settings. 9* turned up to little + and weight in the toe is far and away the winner for dispersion/distance. Tried it a lot in the heel and I couldn’t keep it from slicing super hard. Different strokes for different folks. Glad it works for both of us either way! 

The little + adds loft, which in turn closes the face. Face angle has a more meaningful impact on direction than weight placement.

It sounds like you have found a great setup for your swing. Closed face to fight the rights and extra mass behind your typical strike.

Man, drivers these days are amazing. Seriously, how the heck did we hit a single fairway 30 years ago 😀

Edited by Cactus Jack
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Tee1up4 said:

Yeah it must be. It’s an incredible shaft. Have it in my 3 wood as well. Wish they made the black in a non tx flex. 

It comes in both S and X..

Ping G425 LST 9* / Fujikura Ventus Blue 6X

Taylormade BRNR Mini Driver 13.5* / Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 7X

Callaway UW 19* / Fujikura Atmos Blue TS 8X

Ping iCrossover 18* / Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 85X

Ping i230 4-U / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 120 X100

Titleist SM9 54.10S / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Titleist SM9 60.04T / Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
Ping PLD Custom Prime Tyne S / BGT Stability Tour Black

Titleist ProV1

Ping Hoofer

On 3/14/2021 at 8:42 PM, hackalot said:

I’ve compared them a couple times inside at golf stores. Like the feel/sound of tsi better, but 425 lst was WAY more consistent. Don’t like that tsi is so shiny. Think would be issue in sun. Tsi was very punishing if missed sweet spot and drop off was quite a bit. Both fairly low spinning for me. Have seen some big Titleist players switch back to TS3 including JT which I always find interesting. Almost all Ping staffers have switched to the 425 and majority into the LST. Lots of them played the regular G410 previously which surprised me. I read comparisons on these where people said the Ping beat the TSI 8 or 9 out of 10 times on course and hitting fairways. I’m not ready to drop that much $$, otherwise would have the Ping. 

JT is a bit of an outlier here, the TSi line is extremely popular. Going off the stats at the Sony Open from a golf.com article, 43 of 47 players were using the TSi2, TSi3, or TSi4, 14 of which were not on staff at the time. It's a super solid driver, I bought mine because it was more consistent than the G400 Max. 

I agree, TSI line is very popular, especially among non-staffers on tour. JT, Webb, Cantlay, and Sung-Jae all playing TS3 though...

Paradym 3D 10.5 - Ventus Blue TR 6x

Paradym 3D 15 - Hzrdus Smoke Red RDX 70 6.5

Paradym 3D 18 - Hzrdus Smoke Red RDX 70 6.5

TCB Gen 1 4-PW - KBS C-Taper S+

SM9 50F, 54S, 58V  - KBS C-Taper S+

Ai-ONE Jailbird Mini CH

Golf Pride MCC Blue

2022 Bridgestone Tour B X

• 2 months later...

Originally had the LST, switched to the TSi after ~15 rounds. Couldn’t get over how bad it sounded and felt in comparison. I think the TSi is longer on the course as well and maybe just a hair less forgiving… so unless you play really punishing rough a lot of the time (I don’t) it was well worth the upgrade. 

DRIVER: Titleist TSi3 9° • Tensei AV RAW White
3 WOOD: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 15° • Aldila Rogue White
5 WOOD: Callaway Epic Speed 18° • HZRDUS Smoke Green
UTILITY: Srixon ZX 23° 4 iron • Recoil 95 F4
IRONS: Srixon ZX7 5-PW • Nippon Modus 120
WEDGES: Titleist SM8 50°F / 54°S / 58°M
PUTTER: Odyssey OG Bird 7 OR Scotty Special Select Newport 2 OR Nike Method 001

On 3/14/2021 at 5:35 PM, Tee1up4 said:

Anyone have an apples to apples comparison?? Have the G425 LST with Ventus black in my bag now. Too be honest it’s great for me. My bad miss is a slice into the next county. Put the weight in the toe and it’s been an awesome club for me. 

However, have hit the TSi3 a few times at GG with the Smoke RDX. Can’t get it outta my head lol. Just wondering if anyone has a true comparison. 

Doesn't weight in the toe keep the face open? So that would make your slice worse....

Ping G425 LST  10.5* -  Ping Tour 65x
TaylorMade R15 3W - Speeder Evolution S
Ping G425 2 Hybrid 17* - Ping Tour 85x
Mizuno 921F 4-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite X
Cleveland RTX 60
TaylorMade Spider - Counterweight 

I played a couple rounds with both the G425 LST w/Tensei PO 60s and TSi2 w/Ventus Red 6s.  I've hit TSi2 and TSi3 back to back, no real difference for me other than I like the way the 2 looks (weird, ok fine. I agree)

I'm a 9 HCP, usually accurate but not super long this year. Driver SS~103.

Here were my impressions-

Areas 425LST wins (for me)-

- toe strikes

- low strikes

TSi2 wins-

- heel strikes

- high strikes

- look/sound/feel (no contest)

Good shots were about identical for me.  The best shots I've hit all seem to come from the Titleist. The 425 feels good but it doesn't, for me, ever get to "crushed one to straightaway center with a wooden bat" level feel that the titleist does. 

The misses that the TSi2 seemed to absorb pretty well (high and heel) are more common for me than low or toe, so it got the nod. I would not be disappointed in the slightest to have the 425 in the bag though. 

Had both. G425LST is slightly higher spin and more forgiving than the Tsi3.  With that said it's not by much and I think the Tsi3 is the better head this year.  Felt more workable and a great shape.  

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Tried the 425LST and a playing partner has one.  The sound to me is just horrid and it is a no-go on that factor alone.  I didn't like the 410 for the same reason.  Loved the G400 and that is just an extremely solid product.  So, I did the TSi3 and now do the TSi4.  If you want low spin, then TSi4 should be looked at for sure.  Titleist really got the TSi drivers right (at least the 3 and 4 - have never hit the 1 or 2).  I don't find them unforgiving and they have everything from looks to feel/sound to performance for me, especially when i paired it with an AF 505X.  Ain't switching anytime soon. 

14 hours ago, Lasorcier said:

Tried the 425LST and a playing partner has one.  The sound to me is just horrid and it is a no-go on that factor alone.  I didn't like the 410 for the same reason.  Loved the G400 and that is just an extremely solid product.  So, I did the TSi3 and now do the TSi4.  If you want low spin, then TSi4 should be looked at for sure.  Titleist really got the TSi drivers right (at least the 3 and 4 - have never hit the 1 or 2).  I don't find them unforgiving and they have everything from looks to feel/sound to performance for me, especially when i paired it with an AF 505X.  Ain't switching anytime soon. 

Yeah the stock sound isn't great.  I've hotmelted probably 20 of them in my shop this year and it's a big improvement.  I always tell everyone, don't let sound deter you from playing a head that works well for your swing, that can easily be changed.

• Thanks 1

Edel PROTO

10 minutes ago, J13 said:

Yeah the stock sound isn't great.  I've hotmelted probably 20 of them in my shop this year and it's a big improvement.  I always tell everyone, don't let sound deter you from playing a head that works well for your swing, that can easily be changed.

I notice in your sig you play the Cally LS.  Why the choice?  I think it's a great driver as well, just curious?

Ping G430 Max 10.5, VA Nemesis 55 four

Ping G430 5-18, VA Vylyn 65 four

Ping G430 4H, 5H, 6H, Alta 70S

Mizuno Pro 245, 6-gw. MMT 85S

Ping S159 54S, & 54H, MMT 105S

Odyssey Nano 7, stroke lab

Pro V 1X or Z-Star XV

7 hours ago, dalillama47 said:

I notice in your sig you play the Cally LS.  Why the choice?  I think it's a great driver as well, just curious?

I tested almost everything out there and the Max LS was the best all around performer.  Fairly forgiving and gave me the best ball speed on misses.  It's kinda like Tsi3 spin with G425 forgiveness.

Edel PROTO

• 3 months later...