Mizuno ST-Z Fwy Wood

urjc22

Has anyone purchase the new ST-Z 3 wood?  Any feedback?  After watching the TXG videos I am very intrigued.  I am currently playing 915F 15 degree 3 Wood and 5 Wood and looking for upgrade.  I am interested in the Mizuno and Ping425 Max 3 wood and 7 wood (I currently play the G410LST driver and really like it).

Been gaming the ST-Z 5 wood for a few weeks now with the stock Motore X F3 7 and am very pleased with the feel, distance and adjustability of the club. The head is a little large for a 5 wood which could deter some people who like more of a compact shape but overall  everything matches up with everything the TXG guys say in their review. 

I just ordered a 5 wood with no-upcharge Atmos TS Black 7S because I had some trade-in credit and this seemed really fun. I want to turn it down into a 4 wood and see if it can kick the 3 wood out.  Was deciding between the Mizuno or a PING 425 5 wood. The ping had a nice shape, but the face was way too shallow for me. I have owned shallow-faced ping fairways and I tend to hit them thin off of a tee because I am psychologically afraid of hitting under it and scuffing the crown. STZ has a nice deeper face by comparison. The same shaft in the ping would have been a $225 upcharge. The stock grip, I actually kind of liked as well. Hopefully, not too long of a wait, but I have already been waiting about 3 weeks for the CLK hybrid I ordered. 

Sim2 Max 9* Ventus Red 6x
Sim2 Max 3HL Tour AD HD 7s
Callaway UW 19* Trono 75s/Titleist u505 20* Tensei white 90x
PING G425 hybrid *22 Accra TZ5 95 m4
Titleist T100 5-P Modus 120x

SM8 50, 56F
Fourteen RM4 60H
Newport 2

Did a fitting recently and wanted to try to Mizuno ST-z fairways, unfortunately they did not have any test heads in stock (lefty).

I had best numbers and was very impressed by Ping Max 425 with stock shaft (Bought the 5 wood).  I hit Cobra, Callaway, Ping.

Really loved how the Ping sat so flat at address - I understand Mizuno is the same.  I really wanted to hit Mizuno and try some shafts.

Great first round with the Ping.

Good luck.

Driver (9.0) - Cobra F9 Aldila Rogue Silver 70 S, 44.5"
Wood (14.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S

Wood (17.5) - Ping G425 MAX Alta CB 65 Slate S
Driving Iron (20) - Srixon U65 Project X 5.5
Irons (5-6) - Srixon Z565 Project X 5.5
Irons (7-P) - Srixon Z765 Project X 5.5
Wedges - Vokey SM-7 Jet Black / 50.08 F / 54.08 M / 58.08 M DG S300
Putter - Edel E-1
Ball - Titleist Prov1x
ZGrip Midsized Grips

For what it is worth, I called Mizuno today and they said they are currently shipping orders placed on 2/2 so it seems like 6-7 weeks lead time for custom orders assuming there isn't a shortage on any components on top of that. Might want to take this into account and just buy the stock setup rather than get fancy with the their good selection of no-upcharge shafts like I did. 

SM8 50, 56F
Fourteen RM4 60H
Newport 2

Went by the local golf store yesterday to do some casual testing of the fairway alternatives for 2021. I'm quite open minded when it comes brands and pretty much tried all of the big brands. The off shelf alternatives were limited in terms of shaft options so it was far from an "apple to apple" comparsion but my take is more or less that if I don't get a feel for the club after a couple of swings a shaft change (within 10g) won't completely change that first impression. SS of the day 103-107. Quick summary of each club:

- Cobra Rad Big Tour Motore X F1 7S,

Bomber, when middled this is as pure as it gets. Great height even off the ground, touching perhaps a bit on too low spin (2800-2900 off the ground)
Not the most consistent. Shaft was ok.

- Cobra Rad Fairway Motore X F3 6S

Hit it straight after the Big Tour, lesser looks and tended to miss more to the left (something I don't want to see)

- Titleist TSi2 Tensei Raw AV Blue 65S & Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 70 6.5

Great feeling at impact, sound/feel improvement over TS2, great numbers, highest smash factor of all when struck right (Av Raw). Two way misses that I partly blame the lighter shaft for. Switched to heavier shaft (RDX 70 6.5) but instantly lost the strike contact, never really liked the Project X Black designs though.

- Ping G425 Max Alta Ping Alta CB 65

Matte finish which I always liked, sounds and feel better compared to G400 & G410, a bit too high launching and spinning to my liking (+4000 rpm).

- Callaway Epic Speed HZRDUS Smoke IM10 60g 6.0

"Cheaper" looks IMO, sat closed. Lighter overall feeling, failed to produce any good strikes. Glued shaft, no adjustments. Was put away quite quickly.

- Mizuno ST-Z Motore X F3 7S

Awesome at setup, straight/to slightly open face which I prefer. Despite the relative large head it didn't feel as big as something as last years SIM Ti.

Consistent strikes with good spin and descent angle (3200-3300+ & ~45degree descent). Slight draw as stock shot for me, also the one that contained my AoA

at the best levels of all, around 0 to +1.

Conclusion:

If I were to choose one after this quick test, with these limited fitting possibilites, I'd definitely go with the Mizuno. Ball speeds were a few MPH behind Big Tour and TSi2 on good strikes, but consistent wise it was the clear winner (most important factor for me now when picking a new fw). Next step is to book a proper fitting. Will be interesting to see what Big Tour and TSi can bring consistent wise with shafts similar to the Motore X F3 - if no improvement I'll go with a ST Z with a F3 7X.

• Like 1

Taylormade M1 '17 9,5° UST Elements Platinum Prototype PT6F5
Cobra Radspeed Big Tour 15,5° Rdx Blue 70 6.5
Ping G410 Crossover 20° Tensei Blue 80 TX
Wilson Staff V6 Irons 4-PW True Temper X100 AMT
Mizuno T5 52° & 56° True Temper Gold S300 --> Taylormade MG3 52° & 58° S200 TI
Nike Method Core 01W

Order the ST-Z 5 wood 24 days ago. I expect to wait another 3 weeks.

Ordered the 5 wood as it is slightly smaller profile and can turn it down 1-2 degrees for less spin, more distance in the Motore F3 6.

Heard great things and a real deal shaft. So why not?

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Observer of Peeps, Wannabe Novelist

• Ping G425 Max 9/TPT Golf 19Hi Driver
  • Honma TR21 Fwy 3, 5 
  •  Ping G425 20.5 Hy/TPT Golf 
  • Honma TW-X 5-PW/Mitsu MMT 85g 
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59/Nippon 105 
  • Artisan 0521 or 0321 Putter

I bought one about a 2 weeks ago, after trying all the usual suspects on a launch monitor. The st-z gave me the best launch and spin numbers by far (motore F3 stiff shaft). Plus the ball feels great off the face. It was a really interesting fitting as I was fit into a new TSi2 driver the week before. The TSi2 3 wood was good but the Mizuno was better and felt just as good or better. 

• Like 1

So first 9 holes done. My new 5 wood hit some bombs nearly as long as my 3 wood. However, one of the reasons I got it was for some flexibility off the fairway.  Not sure I got that with such a large head. It definitely isn't the squatter, flatter heads have of something like a Ping. Will have to give it a few more rounds.

d: Mavrik | f: ST-Z | h1, h2: Apex 21 | i: zx5/7 | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

1 minute ago, rondre3000 said:

So first 9 holes done. My new 5 wood hit some bombs nearly as long as my 3 wood. However, one of the reasons I got it was for some flexibility off the fairway.  Not sure I got that with such a large head. It definitely isn't the squatter, flatter heads have of something like a Ping. Will have to give it a few more rounds.

Interesting. Mine just got delivered today (3w w/ RDX black 6.5 43”) and it seems flatter than my sim. I played with all the setting and my eyes liked the standard the best. 

Almost all set for 2021

I just got a shipping notice for the CLK hybrid I ordered 2/22. When I had talked to Mizuno customer service they guy said likely second week of April so a week or two earlier than I was expecting. Maybe they are catching up on some orders. 

SM8 50, 56F
Fourteen RM4 60H
Newport 2

• 1 month later...

I finally got my 5 wood. It is super easy to hit and very consistent. It is not a low spin rocket launcher. Before getting it I was thinking that maybe I could lower the loft and play it as a 4 wood and take 3 wood out of the bag, but even in the lowest setting it hits it high and not low spin. I'm not saying it is too spinny, it is just more so than some of the rocket launcher fairways out there. If you are looking for something super easy to hit, this is one to try for sure. I think the TXG video comparing it to the G425 max fairway is very appropriate. I think this plays very much like a Ping fairway = easy launch, higher spin and more forgiving. I like the look of the Mizuno much more, but I can see how someone might prefer a shallower faced fairway like the Ping. 

SM8 50, 56F
Fourteen RM4 60H
Newport 2

• 2 months later...

Anyone else in one of these?  I'm on the hunt for a 3 wood to replace my trusty TEE strong 3 and I'm open to any brand, I really like the way this Mizuno looks - I like the sleeper aspect and the Motore seems like a great stock shaft.  I'm looking to get fit into the best stock shaft I can find.

Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 10.5* | Rogue White 130 MSI 70X

Mizuno 15* 3w | Ventus Blue 70X

TEE EXS Pro 19* 3 Hybrid | HZRDUS Smoke Black 80X

Miura CB-57 3-iron | KBS $-Taper 130

Scratch AR-1 DW grind 4-PW | Rifle Flighted 6.0

Mizuno T22 54/12 S grind

Cleveland RTX Full Face 58/09

Edel EAS 4.0

Jones Classic | Camino Sunday | Jones Players | Jones Utility

5 minutes ago, Tupperwolf said:

Anyone else in one of these?  I'm on the hunt for a 3 wood to replace my trusty TEE strong 3 and I'm open to any brand, I really like the way this Mizuno looks - I like the sleeper aspect and the Motore seems like a great stock shaft.  I'm looking to get fit into the best stock shaft I can find.

I understand that the Motore F3 is the "real deal" shaft, which is worth $300 on its own. Whether it's the "best" for you obviously depends on your swing, but I'm struggling to see a better value club on the market right now. 

I managed to hit these for the first time the other day, on a juiced indoor sim. As such I didn't pay much attention to the numbers, but the looks, feel and ball flight (mid to mid high with a slight draw) were everything I would want in a FW. The feel in particular was just about perfect. 

Edited by MMB1500

Ive been testing one for a few weeks. It's a very good 3w. My misses are way better than anything I've hit...and I've tried a bunch of 3Ws lately. 

My only dislike, and this will seem counter to what I just said, I don't seem to get the same shot, swing after swing. It handles misses really well, but I don't stand over the club feeling like I know where it's going. 

I feel like this 3w is really, really good for guys over about a 4 or 5 handicap. It doesn't stray. But for lower cap guys, I'm finding that standing over the ball with this club, I'm not going to hit it on the line I envision. It could be what keeps it out of the bag. Idk yet. 

My gamer was/is a 17m2. 90% of shots with that club are exactly the same...start line, height, carry, shot shape. But I started getting a dead pull with it. With the stz, it starts on the line I envision about half the time, but it doesn't end up very far offline. It'll probably stay in the bag a bit more to see if I can gain consistency with it. Just not 100% sure yet. 

@Kale_m how's yours?

Edited by getitdaily

2 hours ago, getitdaily said:

Ive been testing one for a few weeks. It's a very good 3w. My misses are way better than anything I've hit...and I've tried a bunch of 3Ws lately. 

My only dislike, and this will seem counter to what I just said, I don't seem to get the same shot, swing after swing. It handles misses really well, but I don't stand over the club feeling like I know where it's going. 

I feel like this 3w is really, really good for guys over about a 4 or 5 handicap. It doesn't stray. But for lower cap guys, I'm finding that standing over the ball with this club, I'm not going to hit it on the line I envision. It could be what keeps it out of the bag. Idk yet. 

My gamer was/is a 17m2. 90% of shots with that club are exactly the same...start line, height, carry, shot shape. But I started getting a dead pull with it. With the stz, it starts on the line I envision about half the time, but it doesn't end up very far offline. It'll probably stay in the bag a bit more to see if I can gain consistency with it. Just not 100% sure yet. 

@Kale_m how's yours?

Mine is great. Prob be even better once I get a more stable shaft in it (prob a ventus blue or black 7x) 

Love the way it sits at address. My miss with a 3w is a hook. This thing does not hook. Love the sound. I usually gravitate towards the smallest headed 3w I can find. But this thing looks great to me even with a slightly bigger profile. 
It is mostly a tee club for me. I don’t need it off the deck very often. Mostly used on doglegs where the driver would run through the fairway. 

Not sure why the m2 you had would all of a sudden just give you pulled shots. Maybe it is bent? Face is flat spotted? 

Taylormade Sim2 (set at 8.25*)Fuji ventus black 6x

Mizuno STZ 3w 14* GD AD-DI7x

Srixon zx 3 iron recoil 95x 
Srixon z945 4-PW PX6.5 
Cleveland RTX4 50/54/58 s400 TI
Oddessey 7CS Tour 

I just transitioned from the ST-Z 3 and 5 woods to Ping G425 5 and 7 woods. The Mizunos were fantastic, but ultimately the larger heads left me questioning their value off the deck. In contrast, I don't even think about the Pings, I grab them a swing. The Pings are very much auto-pilot type clubs. 

Another point regarding the Mizunos. I love flat and open clubs, but cranking down the loft really opens the face. If I remember correctly, they can open up something close to 4*, which is too much for me. Also, they are hot. The 3 wood cranked down a click was so hot it was borderline unusable on the courses I play. Long story short, make sure you like an open club face and pay attention to your gapping. 

I set mine to a plus one (+1) lie setting to see what happens. Standard loft/lie left me right with the 3 wood. Feel is great, the Motore F3 is good for my swing.. Still evaluating but it's tough because I am still in the midst of a swing change.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Observer of Peeps, Wannabe Novelist

• Ping G425 Max 9/TPT Golf 19Hi Driver
  • Honma TR21 Fwy 3, 5 
  •  Ping G425 20.5 Hy/TPT Golf 
  • Honma TW-X 5-PW/Mitsu MMT 85g 
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59/Nippon 105 
  • Artisan 0521 or 0321 Putter

So after some high expectations, I'm already bailing out on the 3w and 5w. I love the look, and the larger head size does not bother me. Hit out of the middle, they feel fantastic. 

But my actual results were not great. The 5w was very consistent with distance -- it seemed to go the same yardage regardless where I hit it on the face. Nice trajectory as well. But I could not hit this consistently straight, and I was not able to maneuver the ball at all. Could not hit a cut/fade (a stock shot for me) to save my life, even in the open settings. 

The 3w was even more disappointing. The distances between 5w and 3w were very small, almost non-existent. The 5w numbers were normal for me, but 3w was the same, which is never the case for me. (I'm swinging 3w typically at 105 mph). 

Obviously, results may vary. I have not seen many negative reviews of these woods, and I could have tested these with different shafts (I have the Motore F3 6s). But getting no distance on 3w, hitting some hard-left shots with 5w, and not being able to hit a cut with the 5w, those were dealbreakers for me. Still a Mizuno fan and gaming the STZ driver, which has been solid. But my fairway wood search continues ... 

UPDATE -- I am still struggling to get distance with the 3w, but I wanted to note that the 5w is actually performing much better for me now. I had it on the course finally (as opposed to the range) and it worked well. It's not a bomber but it produces consistent distances and I was able to work the ball both ways. 

Edited by uglande
Update

Mizuno Stg 220 / Px Rdx

Mizuno Stz 3w 5w / Px Rdx

Mizuno Mp20 4-Pw / Px Ls

Miura Forged 50 54 60 / Px

Ping Tyne 4 / Titleist ProV1 

I got mine today (a little over 2 weeks from order) and took it straight to the range.

At first I struggled because mine looks like it wants to hit a slice at address (flat and sits open). When I trusted it and simply hit it, it just flat out performed. The flight, sound and feel on a good shot are intoxicating.

I don't care for the CK white 70-X shaft. It feels dull and like all the weight is in the handle and I can't feel the head. Will try some lead tape on the head to get the swing weight up. If that doesn't work there will be another transaction that rhymes with "spentiss" to hide from the wife.

Edited by GolfTurkey

• 4 weeks later...