2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

The Honda Classic 2021

MattyO1984

3 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

But what you say is true.....like I mentioned about Hockey , it's just the dynamics of what we're exposed to........

Yeah.  WHen I read your comment I started to wonder whether the economic barriers for golf are as big or bigger than hockey.  Not to dismiss the interest/exposure thing, but think there is a bit of chicken/egg situation here.  Hockey is certainly becoming a rich kids' game.  Unless I'm missing something(eg. private benefactor), PK and Malcolm Subban both making the NHL at different positions is an incredible story just on an economic basis.  But growing up in Toronto, you can't escape hockey.  

I know you can't play everything for long, but it makes you wonder how much talent certain sports have missed out on due to guys aiming for another sport but not making it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, elwhippy said:

The course is a beast but that doesn't make it great. Two par 3s with forced carries over water is lazy design. Jack has exactly the same a MV and I imagine the same style on many of his other layouts. Too much real estate as well.  

This isn't an original Nicklaus, is it? Not sure how much redesign he did to 15 and 17 ... although being called the Bear Trap, it's probably got his fingerprints on it.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

47 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

There was a story in A Good Walk Spoiled I believe it was, where Jim Thorpe was given 300 sets of clubs to get kids in inner city Buffalo playing golf.  It was all a great idea except that he barely had double digits in terms of kids who wanted them.

Just because it's there doesn't mean there will be any interest.  But unfortunately we're in an environment where appearing to do something is more important than actually doing something.  Starting with caddy programs would probably be more effective in growing interest than simply handing out clubs, but that would require effort and planning.  Not to mention people value things they are given far less than things earned/desired.  But it's a lot easier to say "we've given this to them look how great we are" and walk away.   

At the middle school level, we're supposed to be making efforts to get girls interested in STEM ... I'm all for it ... but the reality is, boys aren't interested in STEM either ... I like the idea of making sure EVERYTHING is open to EVERYONE, and doing our best to ensure EVERYONE feels welcome.

Edited by tatertot

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

4 minutes ago, tatertot said:

At the middle school level, we're supposed to be making efforts to get girls interested in STEM ... I'm all for it ... but the reality is, boys are interested in STEM either ... I like the idea of making sure EVERYTHING is open to EVERYONE, and doing our best to ensure EVERYONE feels welcome.

Absolutely.  I'm all for anyone playing golf who doesn't play slow or cheat.  But you can't make someone want to do something.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, m d g said:

What's the deal with Holmes' caddy scrapping all the loose stuff with his shoes?

It looks like he's improving the ground in advance of a potential drop.

I'm guessing it's legal but it seems kind of dicey.

Quoting myself here, but they cleared it up on TV.

I know that you can clear loose impediments after your ball is lying, just didn't know you could prepare it in advance...

11 hours ago, elwhippy said:

The course is a beast but that doesn't make it great. Two par 3s with forced carries over water is lazy design. Jack has exactly the same a MV and I imagine the same style on many of his other layouts. Too much real estate as well.  

Course was originally designed by George and Tom Fazio. And FWIW all 4 par 3's on this course have water to carry.

Edited by grm24
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, elwhippy said:

Maybe, but it's a Florida golf course.  What else are you supposed to do?  

• Like 1

Aaron Wise was put on the clock yesterday. JB Holmes needs to start his round on the clock. This is already ridiculous. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

TaylorMade Stealth+ 9° Tour Ad Di 7x

TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 

Titleist U500 3iron

TaylorMade P7MC 4-Pw Nippon 120 

50° Titleist Vokey SM8

54° Titleist Vokey SM8

60° Titleist Vokey SM8

TaylorMade Spider SR

TP5x /Pro V1

39 minutes ago, SwooshLT said:

But what you say is true.....like I mentioned about Hockey , it's just the dynamics of what we're exposed to........

Absolutely my friend. 

I won’t bore us with my whole story ( you’re welcome 😉) but the gist is that I have alwasy been around the game from the “helps” side of it.   Grandpa who raised me built courses as a equipment operator , and watched on TV. He never played a round.  And he loved the game. It pains me now to think that he never played something that he cared so much for.  But he believed that it was above his status or station in life.  This was the early 90s ish , so maybe it was? ...., but really not .    Fast forward to 1995 -2001 I worked at a 36 hole private course where I was on the maintenance staff.  Much like the movie caddie shack , the help was only allowed to play on a certain day of the week. From 4pm  til dark as I recall. Couldn’t come into the club house or pro shop in work clothes etc.  So I worked there. Watched it. But never played. 

didnt play until 2014 . Which was after I was a married adult , with a well established business etc. even then I recall the fear in asking for info on a membership.  I don’t know why I felt that way. But I did.  Fast forward to now and I have a 12 year old who holds a junior membership to a course that his great grandfather shaped. He thinks nothing of this.even though I’ve explained it.  But to me it is simply a great irony , an amazing thing.  

said that short version ( ha!) to say , I can’t imagine how much more foreign it would be to a kid who never seen the inside of a club like I had , or watched it on tv since birth.  I’d call it next to impossible to imagine how they’d get the courage or impetus to try it out.  If we grow the game , this is how / where and whom it should be done with , Not dumbing it down for more drunk frat boys . Lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 minute ago, bladehunter said:

Absolutely my friend. 

I won’t bore us with my whole story ( you’re welcome 😉) but the gist is that I have alwasy been around the game from the “helps” side of it.   Grandpa who raised me built courses as a equipment operator , and watched on TV. He never played a round.  And he loved the game. It pains me now to think that he never played something that he cared so much for.  But he believed that it was above his status or station in life.  This was the early 90s ish , so maybe it was? ...., but really not .    Fast forward to 1995 -2001 I worked at a 36 hole private course where I was on the maintenance staff.  Much like the movie caddie shack , the help was only allowed to play on a certain day of the week. From 4pm  til dark as I recall. Couldn’t come into the club house or pro shop in work clothes etc.  So I worked there. Watched it. But never played. 

didnt play until 2014 . Which was after I was a married adult , with a well established business etc. even then I recall the fear in asking for info on a membership.  I don’t know why I felt that way. But I did.  Fast forward to now and I have a 12 year old who holds a junior membership to a course that his great grandfather shaped. He thinks nothing of this.even though I’ve explained it.  But to me it is simply a great irony , an amazing thing.  

said that short version ( ha!) to say , I can’t imagine how much more foreign it would be to a kid who never seen the inside of a club like I had , or watched it on tv since birth.  I’d call it next to impossible to imagine how they’d get the courage or impetus to try it out.  If we grow the game , this is how / where and whom it should be done with , Not dumbing it down for more drunk frat boys . Lol. 

Great story Jack.......can't wait until we meet .....sooner than later 😉😎

• Like 1

Just now, SwooshLT said:

Great story Jack.......can't wait until we meet .....sooner than later 😉😎

Yes sir.  We have to make that happen . 

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

53 minutes ago, golfortennis said:

WHen I read your comment I started to wonder whether the economic barriers for golf are as big or bigger than hockey

For time spent, golf is an incredible deal. As a junior in Canada, I paid $450 for an unlimited membership at a local course. Buying clubs can be as cheap as $200 if you want. One summer my friend and I kept track and we played roughly 150 rounds plus countless hours spent on the practice green or just practicing on holes. An average round of golf is 4.5 hours? So that’s 675 hours+. That’s $1.50 an hour. 
junior golf is insanely cheap and a great place for kids to spend their time. The whole notion that golf is for rich people or excludes people is nuts. Maybe people think of country clubs? Local munies are the best bang for your buck possible.

4 minutes ago, Arn said:

For time spent, golf is an incredible deal. As a junior in Canada, I paid $450 for an unlimited membership at a local course. Buying clubs can be as cheap as $200 if you want. One summer my friend and I kept track and we played roughly 150 rounds plus countless hours spent on the practice green or just practicing on holes. An average round of golf is 4.5 hours? So that’s 675 hours+. That’s $1.50 an hour. 
junior golf is insanely cheap and a great place for kids to spend their time. The whole notion that golf is for rich people or excludes people is nuts. Maybe people think of country clubs? Local munies are the best bang for your buck possible.

In Palm Beach county,  the largest County East of the Mississippi,  we have only probably 4 or 5 public access courses.....shame that they've closed the others.......

54 minutes ago, Arn said:

I get what you are saying, but you also have to remember that a $450 outlay upfront is a big deal for a lot of people.  Yes, I know, iphones, whatever, but it's still a case of dropping $450 up front when they may not be certain about being able to make even more basic payments.  The median income in Canada is $36k.  Not a ton of wiggle room.

Yes, golf has more access than is popularly thought, but it's still a sport for those with means more so than many others.