Golf bag for juniors

My 3 kids have Ping Hoofer Lites. 

Most kid golfers seem to use push carts, and so my older two girls had Ogio cart bags, but the cart bags are so big with so many pockets we had two major issues:

1- They had a hard time fitting them in the trunk of my oldest's Corolla with the push carts

2- By the end of the spring the bags were stuffed with like 5 hoodies, candy wrappers, half empty water bottles, leftover food, etc.

We found that the sleeker Hoofers created far less headaches for room in the car, and reminded them to empty out their bag every now and then. Also, if they are going to practice a stand bag is a lot handier.

• Like 2

Definitely go with the Hoofer Lite. I have one and I'd say it's on the smaller end for an adult bag when it comes to length and at 4 1/2 lbs it's really not heavy at all. 

Plus there's no point in trying to find an "in-between" bag since she'll have adult sized clubs before too long, and Hoofers will last a lifetime if you treat it well. I had my last one for 13 years before I upgraded this past summer. 

• Like 2

Using TS3-57 irons with a BagBoy Chiller Hybrid Stand Bag.  Has 14-way individual dividers.  The bag does not have dual straps for carrying (only single) and they don't make a dual strap for it.  Looking at the bag, it seems like an aftermarket dual strap could be installed pretty easily. 

We don't carry and use a BagBoy Quad XL cart.  No reason to carry unless your ego needs to.

• Like 1

Putter - Ben Hogan by Bettinardi BHB5-SS

• 2 months later...

We just picked up a Sun Mountain junior bag and the bag is really nice.  The one downside is that it has 3 dividers only, making organization a little weird.  It's about 2" shorter overall than a standard bag, maybe an inch taller than the TS57 USK bag we replaced, so still works well for shorter junior clubs.

Lots of room on the straps to adjust if you wanted an adult to carry it.  Fits 14 clubs with plenty of room.  Full length dividers.  Still light enough for the kid to carry around.

I've never been a fan of bags with large advertising on it, so this fit the bill nicely for us.

So far very happy with it.

https://shop.sunmountain.com/junior-team-bag-detail

On 3/15/2021 at 12:46 PM, hangontight said:

10 year old son uses ping hoofer lite.  I bought a new sun mountain 2.5 which I really like too.  Both Carry well and are light.   I cut some pool noodles to line the bottom of his bag, keeps the clubs from disappearing.

+1 on Ping hoofer lite. 

BTW, once you stuff pool noodles into the bottom of bag, how do you get them out? 🙂

25 minutes ago, Medson said:

+1 on Ping hoofer lite. 

BTW, once you stuff pool noodles into the bottom of bag, how do you get them out? 🙂

Not sure if all bags have this, but Ping bags have a zipper inside of the apparel pocket that allows you to access the inside of the bag.

Pretty convenient for recovering anything that falls down into the club slots, and it prevents you from having to empty the bag and then turn it upside down to dump out whatever you're trying to get back. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Abh159 said:

Not sure if all bags have this, but Ping bags have a zipper inside of the apparel pocket that allows you to access the inside of the bag.

Pretty convenient for recovering anything that falls down into the club slots, and it prevents you from having to empty the bag and then turn it upside down to dump out whatever you're trying to get back. 

Ping bag has a what?! How come I only find out about it now!  

I feel like an idiot who had to empty the bag and turn the whole bag upside down. 

• Like 1

On 3/15/2021 at 11:51 AM, Bizzle80 said:

Any recommendations for a full size bag I can use to caddy for my junior? The usk bag is too small to carry over my shoulder and really barely holds her clubs. But her clubs are short, so it feels top heavy in an adult bag. 

What are daddy caddy’s using?

I bought my daughter (4'11" and 12 yrs old) a regular size Taylor made stand bag and added Styrofoam to the bottom and will take out a layer as we rebuild/ buy her longer clubs! The TM stand we bought has a zipper inside the line zippered pocket that gives access to the inside bottom of the bag. Makes it super easy to get to!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, MikekiM said:

I returned ours.  In short it was unusable.

Thanks for pointing me to your review. that's my fear of junior bags being too small...her USK 48" can't hold anything really, and waaaay too top heavy. I guess its probably an adult bag and her USK for short sets if she's carrying.

• 2 weeks later...

We’ve been using second-hand bags since we first started golfing just over two years ago.  Those days are coming to an end, as my daughter is closing in on 10 and has grown her set of clubs to TS3-60”/adult woods and hybrids/adult wedges.  Her UL-60 bag is beat up and there he glove pocket zipper is busted.

Leaning towards a cart bag, as she rarely carries.  If she had her way, she would have a staff bag—but that’s not happening.  Is there any real reason to get a stand bag over a cart bag if they rarely use the stand?  She does deserve a sturdy bag at this point, though, and preferably one that can last 2+ years of being beat up pretty good.  

Part of me just wants to give her my two-year old TM FlexTech I’ve hardly used since they started playing golf regularly.  Bet then I’m without a bag, just in case I’m pressed into Manning up for a charity scramble or whatever.

She likes the concept of a Titleist 15 bag or something like it with dividers, but have heard they are a pain to deal with.  As long as it doesn’t fall apart super-easy, I’m ok spending a couple hundred… 

10 hours ago, MB19 said:

We’ve been using second-hand bags since we first started golfing just over two years ago.  Those days are coming to an end, as my daughter is closing in on 10 and has grown her set of clubs to TS3-60”/adult woods and hybrids/adult wedges.  Her UL-60 bag is beat up and there he glove pocket zipper is busted.

Leaning towards a cart bag, as she rarely carries.  If she had her way, she would have a staff bag—but that’s not happening.  Is there any real reason to get a stand bag over a cart bag if they rarely use the stand?  She does deserve a sturdy bag at this point, though, and preferably one that can last 2+ years of being beat up pretty good.  

Part of me just wants to give her my two-year old TM FlexTech I’ve hardly used since they started playing golf regularly.  Bet then I’m without a bag, just in case I’m pressed into Manning up for a charity scramble or whatever.

She likes the concept of a Titleist 15 bag or something like it with dividers, but have heard they are a pain to deal with.  As long as it doesn’t fall apart super-easy, I’m ok spending a couple hundred… 

For the times she might have to carry.  There are courses that don't allow push carts.  Stand Bags make it easier at the range as well, imo.

13 minutes ago, heavy_hitter said:

For the times she might have to carry.  There are courses that don't allow push carts.  Stand Bags make it easier at the range as well, imo.

I keep going back and forth with this.  Stand bags are great, but the sure do cause damage if you don’t pay attention (pull cart all scraped up on base, can carpet has taken a beating).   

I haven’t been to near the amount of golf courses you’ve been to—are there  multiple courses we would play in FL that don’t allow push carts or for bags to go on the back of passenger golf carts for the middle school and under kids?  Getting a bag for her (my son is about 4-5 months away from needing one as well) that severely limits course selection is definitely something I don’t want to do.

After a convo with @heavy_hitteryesterday, I decided to loan my TM FlexTech bag to my daughter until I find a deal on a golf bag I can’t refuse.  My son is also due for one, so I’ll just get them both bags at the same time to avoid favoritism accusations.

I’ve  played maybe five rounds with that bag, and she has always liked it, so problem solved.  Let’s just hope I don’t get pulled into a scramble before the holidays.

I got that bag maybe about this time two years ago on super sale from Global Golf online (like $110 shipped).  There is no expectation of finding a deal just like that this time of year, but I am wondering what time of year some of you look for deals on bags.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MB19 said:

After a convo with @heavy_hitteryesterday, I decided to loan my TM FlexTech bag to my daughter until I find a deal on a golf bag I can’t refuse.  My son is also due for one, so I’ll just get them both bags at the same time to avoid favoritism accusations.

I’ve  played maybe five rounds with that bag, and she has always liked it, so problem solved.  Let’s just hope I don’t get pulled into a scramble before the holidays.

I got that bag maybe about this time two years ago on super sale from Global Golf online (like $110 shipped).  There is no expectation of finding a deal just like that this time of year, but I am wondering what time of year some of you look for deals on bags.  

I would guess September when Seasons start to wind down up north.

• Thanks 1