I got fitted for irons and hate them

Hello,

I was fitted for irons in September and went with Mavrik Pros. Ever since I received them I have played horrible with them. Distances are WAY off from previous clubs. Old set pitching wedge was 130-135 yards and now this new set is 115-120 just to give you an example. Use to be able to hit a left to right ball flight and no matter what I do now the ball flight is just a weak left to right pattern. What’s the deal? How could something that felt so pure when I was fitted be so off now?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bad fitting.

Hitting into a screen or net for a fitting is way different than hitting specific shots on the golf course. That is why in my opinion fitting is over rated. 

Could be a bad fitting,  a bad build, or several other things.   Give us all the specs you were fit for for the new set and all the specs from the previous set you played.   How does the spe

Need to check weights of old clubs eg same flex,grips you like,lofts, similar swingweight?Then try only swinging at 70%...may be your over trying... What are the clubs old n new?

2020 18 July mid winterNZ
Ping Rapture 2006 10.5
Nike VrS 3wood
Callaway Razr Edge5 wood

MP100=33 9876 5/mp63
54     RTX2
60     RTX2
ProPlatinum NewportTwo
2002 325gram +8.NewGrip
Dont hesitate to buy one!

The two things I would look hard at to see how far they differ from your old set:

1. shaft (flex and weight)

2. sole (bounce, width, lie)

Were you fit indoors on a monitor using one club (6i or 7i)?  Pretty common for a decent athlete to be able to groove the swing for one club hit over and over off of a mat.  Then you get on the course where you are switching among clubs every shot, hitting off of uneven lies, hard pan and soggy...the variables all come out to test your fitting.  It can be like a different world on the course vs one grooved aggressive swing off of a mat where the outcome has no consequences.

Sorry the fitting did not provide what you were needing.  I would approach the fitter with your frustrations.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Max with Tensei Blue Raw

TM Sim Max 5 wood with Ventus Blue

TM Sim Max 3 hybrid with Ventus Blue

TM M6 5 hybrid with Hzrdus 

Srixon ZX5 5i&6i with Recoil 95 F4

Srixon ZX7 7i- PW with Recoil 95 F4

52 and 56 degree Ping Forged with Recoil 110 F4

60 Glide 2 with SF 110

Ping Prime Tyne or Spider Tour Black

Could be a bad fitting,  a bad build, or several other things.

Give us all the specs you were fit for for the new set and all the specs from the previous set you played.   How does the spec'd loft for the PW compare in the new set vs the old?

Tell us what you remember about the fitting process, where was it done?

Did the fitter give you a spec sheet when you were done?  If so, share it with us.

Did they build the clubs themselves or if it was a custom order from the factory did they check the specs when the clubs arrived?

First step, take the clubs back to the fitter and have him/her compare ALL the specs of the club you got to the club you hit during the fitting.  Static weight, swing weight, playing length, loft, lie, same grip, even see if the shaft graphics or step patterns match on the shaft.

It would even be worth it to hit the fitting club and the equivalent club in the new set side by side to see if you can feel any difference or see any difference in the ball flight results.

Not a lot of info to go on but best guess is that most likely the swing weight is off.  Early release and higher dynamic loft is a common side effect of too light of a swing weight.  Many fittings use special heads to allow the shaft to be changed during the fitting and that adds extra weight to the head.   On top of that many self proclaimed "fitters" are oblivious to swing weight and dont' even try to fit for it.   Even if they do, many of the OEM factory builds don't pay much attention to it during the build or are limited to what they can or will do to get the requested swing weight.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 3
2 hours ago, Stuart_G said:

Could be a bad fitting,  a bad build, or several other things.

Give us all the specs you were fit for for the new set and all the specs from the previous set you played.   How does the spec'd loft for the PW compare in the new set vs the old?

Tell us what you remember about the fitting process, where was it done?

Did the fitter give you a spec sheet when you were done?  If so, share it with us.

Did they build the clubs themselves or if it was a custom order from the factory did they check the specs when the clubs arrived?

First step, take the clubs back to the fitter and have him/her compare ALL the specs of the club you got to the club you hit during the fitting.  Static weight, swing weight, playing length, loft, lie, same grip, even see if the shaft graphics or step patterns match on the shaft.

It would even be worth it to hit the fitting club and the equivalent club in the new set side by side to see if you can feel any difference or see any difference in the ball flight results.

Not a lot of info to go on but best guess is that most likely the swing weight is off.  Early release and higher dynamic loft is a common side effect of too light of a swing weight.  Many fittings use special heads to allow the shaft to be changed during the fitting and that adds extra weight to the head.   On top of that many self proclaimed "fitters" are oblivious to swing weight and dont' even try to fit for it.   Even if they do, many of the OEM factory builds don't pay much attention to it during the build or are limited to what they can or will do to get the requested swing weight.

This is all good advice... if you have access to lead tape, you can always throw some on the club and see if the heavier weight helps... quick, easy experiment to check for yourself.

If you hit them well at the fitting, nothing magically changed from the fitting club to the club you bought... there has to be a tangible difference... Stuart is likely right that it's head weight, and that's a good place to start. 

Also depends on where you got fit, but most fitters will want to work with you to make the clubs works.

• Like 1

As of 1/24/21

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with RipX

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-GW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

I don't know where you are located, and I know this seems too easy, but have you considered the conditions you're playing in?  Were the distances off from the beginning, or could it be that cold, wet weather for the last few months has skewed things?

I've been using the same irons for nearly 4 years, so I know my distances pretty well.  I've been adding at least one club, and usually two, all winter, and this particular winter in the SE has been one prolonged cold, wet slog.  Golf balls just don't behave very well in these conditions, plus your body is cold, you're wearing a bunch of layers, a lot of days the range isn't open for warmups, etc. 

None of this means that you did NOT get a bad fitting, or that there isn't a problem with the irons.  But getting new irons in the fall and then being disappointed in the distance in late winter is a danger zone, at least to me. 

Just a thought.

• Like 2

Are you comparing March distances with the new irons and summer distances with the old clubs?

I've played the same MP-18's at the same lofts for 3 years now - I can tell you that my irons are currently a club shorter on solid strikes. I just don't see how you could lose 15 yards of distance in a wedge without other factors at play. Especially considering that PW has 43 degrees of loft.

Loss of distance is probably due to over-fading the ball - aka an open clubface with more loft being added. Like the above poster, could have been a bad fitting but when spending north of 1k on clubs you want to make sure you do your due diligence before moving on from them.

5 minutes ago, bluedot said:

I don't know where you are located, and I know this seems too easy, but have you considered the conditions you're playing in?  Were the distances off from the beginning, or could it be that cold, wet weather for the last few months has skewed things?

I've been using the same irons for nearly 4 years, so I know my distances pretty well.  I've been adding at least one club, and usually two, all winter, and this particular winter in the SE has been one prolonged cold, wet slog.  Golf balls just don't behave very well in these conditions, plus your body is cold, you're wearing a bunch of layers, a lot of days the range isn't open for warmups, etc. 

None of this means that you did NOT get a bad fitting, or that there isn't a problem with the irons.  But getting new irons in the fall and then being disappointed in the distance in late winter is a danger zone, at least to me. 

Just a thought.

Glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this! I'm losing about 1.5 clubs difference in the irons, it seems to be most noticeable in the short irons as well.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, rsballer10 said:

Glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing this! I'm losing about 1.5 clubs difference in the irons, it seems to be most noticeable in the short irons as well.

I experience this every spring as well. I think it's a combination of me being old and not swinging as fast coming out of the winter, the ball being cold and the air being cold/heavy. Not sure which of those are a myth but I absolutely hit 150 yard iron shots 10-15 yards short when I first start getting back into golf in the spring. 

• Thanks 1

I'm guessing you went to a club champion type of "fitting"

• Haha 1

Taylormade Sim2 -- Graphite Design AD-IZ 6s
Titleist TSi2 5W -- Diamana Thump 75s
PXG 0317x 22° -- Nippon G.O.S.T.
PXG 0311P 4-Gw --Nippon Modus 120x
JP Golf Premier Wedges 54° 58° -- KBS Hi Rev 2.0s
Lajosi Electric Blue Damascus LP809 -- BGT Stability Tour

1 hour ago, rsballer10 said:

Off-season rust is brutal.  I played my first round of 2021 two days ago, I was 2 clubs short, sometimes actually had trouble hitting the ball even half decently, all sorts of fun.

Ironically, my short game and putting were only slightly off.  The two things I'd expected to be the worst were the best.  Go figure.

/end off topic

For our OP, I have little to add.  I'll just point to the StuartG post.  I would expect the built clubs may not match up to the fitting, and/or the off-season rust theme could be in play.

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5*, one click lower loft, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X -or- Aldila NV105 X

3w: Cobra King LTD, Aldila RIP Beta 90 X
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour 2h, NV105 S

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; PM Grind 19 58*
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Rife Bimini, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

16 minutes ago, Liveonce said:

what would be the alternative ?

1) Retail store "fitting".  There are exceptions but these are rarely is much of a fitting at all - but that's what they tell their customers it is. 

2) Golftech does "fitting"

3) There are a decent amount of independent fitters available if you know where to look (depending on location).

4) Some club pros will try to do fittings as well.

All of which can be pretty hit or miss as to the quality.  

• Thanks 1

Club Champion = Jiffy Lube. Yes they can change your oil, but only the oils they offer and they might strip your drain plug in the process.

Anywhere else = anyone's guess. Your local mechanic might be great with Hondas, but do you trust him with your BMW?

Just like any other service, you do research, you check references, look at others. Or just cut a check and hope for the best, right?

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 4-6 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

6 minutes ago, Liveonce said:

what would be the alternative ?

Finding actual fitters, not a box store trying to push product. So try to find places similar to Cool Clubs, Hot Stix, TXG, etc. I've had multiple friends and clients go to club champion and come back with nightmare-esque gear recommendations that made ZERO sense for their game. I hate to paint everything with the same brush, but I just haven't seen the results from the big box store "fitters".

43 minutes ago, Laznasty said:

Finding actual fitters, not a box store trying to push product. So try to find places similar to Cool Clubs, Hot Stix, TXG, etc. I've had multiple friends and clients go to club champion and come back with nightmare-esque gear recommendations that made ZERO sense for their game. I hate to paint everything with the same brush, but I just haven't seen the results from the big box store "fitters".

What about True Spec?

There are so many variables but I think you could look at:

The shaft. Assuming it's not the same shaft as in your old clubs, is it the same type, i.e., similar tip stiffness and similar flex? In other words, a similar bend profile.

Beyond that, consider: 

• Lie angle differences
  • Offset differences
  • Loft differences

Indoor mats and indoor monitors make everything go further. Introducing turf variations, temperature, and wind can wreak havoc on distances. If you're 10 yards off that's 30 feet. Doesn't take a whole lot to reduce the distance a ball travels by 30 feet. 

Lots of great suggestions so far on how to address, but starting with the build and verifying it matches spec you were fit to is a great place to start. 

37 minutes ago, Liveonce said:

What about True Spec?

Their website says the right things (IMO) and the few reviews I looked up speak highly of them. But I have no experience with True Spec, so I'll defer to other people on here with much more knowledge on club fitting and True Spec in particular.

2 hours ago, NotThatGuyorAmI? said:

It sometimes seems that “optimization” in the amateur context means giving the player clubs that match (or compensate for if you will) his poor swing best, instead of really optimize his potential to learn to hit the ball well.

What makes you think the two are contradictory to each other?

I know you're not alone in that type of thought but there is really very little basis for it.  A poor fit for a player will get in the way of making a good swing just as much as it gets in the way of making a bad swing.  The only difference is that the (negative) consequences will be worse with a bad swing than a good one.   The few parameters that might change as the swing improves (like lie angle or face angle) wont get in the way of improvement and are easy to tweak as the player does improve.   It's much more frequent that a good fit for a player in their current state will make it easier to improve, not get in the way or hold them back.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1

I've been playing for about 12 years now and I just went for my first fitting a week ago, which represents the 4th set of irons since I first started (TM R7 for the first two years, MP-57 for the next 5, JPX-850F the most recent 5 years). 

In my fitting, I stuck with a head size/shape/design I was comfortable with and a shaft weight/flex that closely matched what I was already playing.  I tried the 921 Forged, 921 HMP, MP-20 MMC, and Honma TR20 P, all with shafts in the 120g/stiff range.  I ultimately went with the 921 Forged with $-Taper 120.  They head and shafts are both very similar to what I came from (850F XP-115 S).  My fitter even took into account I was likely swinging a little bit more aggressively than I would on-course (89 - 92 with 7i), so he didn't see a need to put me into an x-flex and I didn't have a harsh transition from the top to require a 130g shaft.

I think if you change too many variables in your newly fit clubs, you're going to struggle to adjust.  I think the most important part of fitting, beyond getting a head/shaft that feels comfortable and gives good flight/spin characteristics, are getting your lie angles and gaps right.

5 hours ago, Davidv said:

Hitting into a screen or net for a fitting is way different than hitting specific shots on the golf course. That is why in my opinion fitting is over rated. 

Agree 100%.  I don't discourage getting fit at all, but for me personally I know  what I like to look at, shaft weight, lie. etc.   Ain't no regular joe ever going to get a tour level fitting, maybe 1 in a million could idk, but generally no.  I guess my point is I think fitting is generally a good idea, but I get tired of hearing " you can get fit to find the perfect set up for you."  Its just a starting point.

Sim max driver
915 4w
913 hybrid
C300 4 iron...Staff Model blade 5-P
Vokey wedges

SpiderX

TP5

Hopefully you still have your old set? You asked what’s the deal with the new clubs. This is a great time for you to find out. Take both sets and go hit balls. Alternative between the old and new clubs and see if there is still a difference. But rather than just numbers focus on what you feel. Is the grip end heavier, lighter, head weight different, do you feel more or less shaft play. What do you feel? At the end of the day it has to feel right and that is something they can’t fit for. Only you feel what you feel. I know for me I want the balance top to bottom a certain way and I don’t do well if it’s different eg counter balanced shafts and me don’t jive. You may find out more of what you really want to feel and what yields the best results. 

SRIXON ZX5 9.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 60X.                                              SRIXON ZX 13.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 70X                                               SRIXON H85 16 MATRIX BLACKTIE 95 SRIXON Z FORGED 4-PW CATALYST 100 6.5                                   CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0                                        CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0                                         CLEVELAND RTX4 58* CATALYST 100 6.0.                                             SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38” SNELL MTB-X

On 3/10/2021 at 5:00 PM, RobertBaron said:

So how does this work if you hit it into the water from 9? Play it as OB or a water hazard?

12 hours ago, rsballer10 said:

Are you comparing March distances with the new irons and summer distances with the old clubs?

I've played the same MP-18's at the same lofts for 3 years now - I can tell you that my irons are currently a club shorter on solid strikes. I just don't see how you could lose 15 yards of distance in a wedge without other factors at play. Especially considering that PW has 43 degrees of loft.

Loss of distance is probably due to over-fading the ball - aka an open clubface with more loft being added. Like the above poster, could have been a bad fitting but when spending north of 1k on clubs you want to make sure you do your due diligence before moving on from them.

10 hours ago, lefthack said:

Club Champion = Jiffy Lube. Yes they can change your oil, but only the oils they offer and they might strip your drain plug in the process.

Anywhere else = anyone's guess. Your local mechanic might be great with Hondas, but do you trust him with your BMW?

Just like any other service, you do research, you check references, look at others. Or just cut a check and hope for the best, right?

Stripe show club fitters in the DFW area is fantastic. Can’t recommend enough. Just want to throw it out there for anyone in the area. 

Did they sell you on the total distance number shown on the launch monitor? What launch monitor? This time of year you aren't going to get any roll out so carry distance is the only thing that really matters.

Did they fit you for length, flex, feel, lie angle, and weight with the set you picked or just hand you different standard clubs until you hit one farther?

How consistent is your ball striking overall? Mats are so forgiving that almost anyone can put on a stripe show but put most people on grass and it's not even close. 

You didn't say what your previous set was but the Mav pros are game improvement irons with super strong lofts. If they were properly fit to your swing (length, weight, flex, lie angle, etc.) it should be almost guaranteed that you hit them farther than your previous iron.