2021 Irons/Wedges for Sweepers

18 hours ago, mootrail said:

I always wondered why I struck blade like profiles better and now it makes sense.  Chunky iron soles never work for me and now I know why.

With our low AOA, we need a club face to stay low and long in the strike zone vs a steeper player who needs more bounce help to exit cleanly.  "Ball first" is a bunch of hooey.  We are going to be brushing before striking without a doubt.

This speaks directly to wedge play as I've always gravitated to something low bounce.  Anything 12° and up was always a bust.  Whoever said "bounce is your friend" was off his rocker.

Yep. 

It took me some time to get my head around what I learned.  Many years ago I had MacGregor build a custom set of irons, 2-LW.  Our discussion regarding specs was golf life changing for me.  What they did customizing club heads was amazing.  None of the big OEM's do that for consumers, just pros. 

I came away realizing I was a sweeper, where my error is "thin", a digger is "chunk."  Hitting the ball thin sounds more appealing than chunk - which brings to mind hurling.  LOL Though, when needed, I can use bounce, it's NOT my natural friend.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Titleist TS2 9.5', Ventus 5 "S"
  • Titleist TS2 16', Ventus 7 "S"
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei AV White "S"
  • Titleist 620 Series 3i-PW - Tensei AV White "S"
  • SM6 F-52/8 - Tensei AV White "S"
  • SM6 M-58/8 Tensei AV White "S"
  • SC CA Monterey
  • Dash-ProV1x, AVX, ProV1
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think the size of the heads on the pro's are the same as the regular hot metal, just less offset and a thinner sole.   Also, for a 20+ handicap who hits his hybrid well, you might want to

Mizuno Hot Metal / Hot Metal Pro.  Low bounce Mizuno GI clubs

I'm definitely a sweeper and have been using the 900 Forged for awhile and switched to the i210s in power specs in the last month. I'd say overall, they both work pretty well for a sweeper. I'm not su

Posted Images

I really think bounce and sole width was the biggest difference for me. Mizunos have much less bounce than Srixons. I play in the southwest in very firm conditions most of the time. The only club in my bag with much bounce is a Vokey 54 F grind and that’s just to have something out of fluffy bunkers and rough. It’s also great for a low hands forward Chad Campbell style knockdown. Everything else in my bag is under 8 degrees of bounce. 

Dustin Brekke, Srixon’s Director of Engineering on the ZX4:

“Our target player is more of a sweeper-type player” .

So in a not surprising turn I picked up a ZX4 4 iron with a huge chunky V sole just to get in on the Srixon fun.  I had planned on getting a ZX Utility 3, but opted for the ZX4 4 after a side by side comparison.

The V.T. sole is fat with a big V, but the sole notches really cut the surface area and looks less likely to catch compared to my fat flat soled U45 3.  It goes against everything we've said in this thread, stay tuned in for the results.

Edited by mootrail
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, mootrail said:

So in a not surprising turn I picked up a ZX4 4 iron with a huge chunky V sole just to get in on the Srixon fun.  I had planned on getting a ZX Utility 3, but opted for the ZX4 4 after a side by side comparison.

The V.T. sole is fat with a big V, but the sole notches really cut the surface area and looks less likely to catch compared to my fat flat soled U45 3.  It goes against everything we've said in this thread, stay tuned in for the results.

Interesting. Look forward to hearing how it goes with the ZX4! I’ve got a Z U85 3 Driving Iron, but find it very difficult to hit off the deck.

Will give the U85 some more time, but will definitely consider a new ZX, a ZX4 3 or 4 iron, a TM P790, or a TM UDI to fill that spot if the U85 doesn’t work for me. Sub 70 has a 699 U Driving Iron that’s interesting as well.

Callaway Mavrik (10.5*) / Aldila Rogue White 130 M.S.I.

Callaway Mavrik (15*) / Aldila Rogue White 130 M.S.I.

Srixon Z H85 (19*) / PX Hzrdus Black 6.0

TaylorMade P770 (4), Srixon Z785 (5-PW) / N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 120

Cleveland RTX Zipcore (50-54-58 Mid) / Dynamic Gold Spinner

TaylorMade TP Collection Soto (36")

WITB on WRX

I had my fitting yesterday and tested ZX7 and Apex Pro. Both felt very good to me. ZX7 had the 120g stiff shaft and the Apex Pro the 115g stiff shaft in it. With both clubs I had about the same distances, around 1 club longer than my Mizuno MP18 blades. I was impressed by the good feel of both of them and really don't see why I should keep playing blades. I chose a set of Apex Pro, just because perfect shots felt even better and misshits also felt a bit better. So I just liked the feel a bit more, but it was a close call. The v sole of the srixon was no issue for my sweeper swing. 

On 3/26/2021 at 1:40 PM, mootrail said:

So in a not surprising turn I picked up a ZX4 4 iron with a huge chunky V sole just to get in on the Srixon fun. 

On 3/26/2021 at 3:55 PM, BallerNate said:

Will give the U85 some more time

Sweeper here also. I gave the Z U85 another driving range session yesterday. But what I’ve found with it is that it is extremely unforgiving on any shot that’s not a perfect center strike, and it’s very hard to hit off the turf.

Pulled the trigger on a ZX4 4-iron also to go with my ZX5 5-PW set on the way. Hoping the ZX4 will be more forgiving and better interacting with the turf than the U85. All will have KBS Tour 120 shafts, but if I want to try a more Driving Iron feel, can put the UST Recoil 95 shaft that’s in the U85 onto the ZX4 4-iron.

Can’t wait to game them...the ZX5’s performed incredibly for me in my fitting, and love my Zipcore wedges already in the bag!

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik (10.5*) / Aldila Rogue White 130 M.S.I.

Callaway Mavrik (15*) / Aldila Rogue White 130 M.S.I.

Srixon Z H85 (19*) / PX Hzrdus Black 6.0

TaylorMade P770 (4), Srixon Z785 (5-PW) / N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour 120

Cleveland RTX Zipcore (50-54-58 Mid) / Dynamic Gold Spinner

TaylorMade TP Collection Soto (36")

WITB on WRX

If you are a sweeper, then you want a club with a low COG (sweet spot).  The lower, the better, as you will have a tendency to hit the ball lower on the club face.

If you are a digger, then you want a higher COG, as you will have a tendency to hit the ball higher on the club face.

That said, some of the new cupface designs (Apex 21, HMP 921) also are good for sweepers as they provide more face flex on shots struck low on the face.

Titleist TSi3 9* Diamana D+ Limited 70X

Callaway Epic Flash 9* Diamana D+ 70X
Titleist TS2 13.5* Diamana D+ Limited 80X

Titleist TS2 18* Diamana D+ Limited 80X
Titleist 816H2 23* Speeder HB 8.8 TS
Ping i210 5-UW Steelfiber i80 S
Ping Glide 2.0 SS 56* Steelfiber i80 S
Scottie Newport M2

• 2 weeks later...

Another sweeper here who has spent a considerable time lately pouring over Maltby Playability charts looking for what should work best for me.  I had the Srixon z545/745's and they were okay.  When I caught them clean, they felt great, but the soles just weren't for me.  I loved the Mizuno 900 forged, but didn't like the shafts in them.  Switched to the Mizuno 919 HMP's and that didn't go well.  The soles were wide and chunky and I struggled to hit them cleanly.  Now I'm back to looking for another set of 900F's until today when a friend offered me his Ping i210's, which led me to this thread.

What really makes me shake my head is the people who have chimed in on this who are diggers, but want to tell us that certain clubs should be fine for sweepers.  Like a previous poster, I would love to hear from a sweeper why the i210 worked for them, because on paper it wouldn't be a likely match.

Callaway Epic Flash 12.0, 5.5 Evenflow green (until Ping g425 Max 12/Tensei 55 shows up)
Ping g410 4h & 5h hybrids

Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 6-gap/Recoil 95 F4

Hogan TK 57* (until Ping Glide 3.0 54 & 58 show up)

TP Mills Sycamore/Spaulding TPM VIII/Mannkrafted MA-99/Bellum Winmore 787 Tie-Fighter

I'm a sweeper too. I'm between -2 and -3.5* AoA with a 6 iron. A couple of things I'll say - especially if you are a sweeper, make sure you get fit on grass. I've had multiple fitters tell me that people who sweep usually hit down more when they hit off mats and start to sweep more when they see grass. Apparently a psychological component lol.

The irons that have worked well for me:

- Mizuno MP20 MMC

- Titleist T100

- Apex & Apex Pro '19 (haven't tried the '21)

- Miura TC-201

- PXG Gen2 T

The irons that have not worked well for me:

- Any Srixon irons (even thou i love their feel)

- Mizuno MP20 HMB

- Mizuno JPX 919 Forged

- Ping i200 (haven't tried i210)

- PXG Gen2 P & XF

• Like 1
On 4/9/2021 at 9:02 PM, sm_watts said:

Now I'm back to looking for another set of 900F's until today when a friend offered me his Ping i210's, which led me to this thread.

What really makes me shake my head is the people who have chimed in on this who are diggers, but want to tell us that certain clubs should be fine for sweepers.  Like a previous poster, I would love to hear from a sweeper why the i210 worked for them, because on paper it wouldn't be a likely match.

I'm definitely a sweeper and have been using the 900 Forged for awhile and switched to the i210s in power specs in the last month. I'd say overall, they both work pretty well for a sweeper. I'm not sure if I buy Maltby's VCOG on the i210s as most of my misses are lower on the face and still keep their distance.

I think that sole width closer to the hosel is pretty similar for both clubs (although the i210 is wider towards the toe) and since you're swinging more inside that's where you're going to see the most interaction with the turf. Could just be the reduced bounce from the power specs too.

• Like 2