• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't believe PING has ever been the flashiest brand, but they've consistently made high quality products and had good customer service.  That's hard to say for too many brands.

PING is basically an engineering company, who happens to make golf gear.  They're now focusing more on marketing and styling, due to John K.'s grandson, but they just work.  They're not flashy and don

If I were gonna go with one brand for every club in the bag it'd be PING. Their offerings work and they stand behind their products better than any major OEM in the business.

I used to have isi-s irons and i3 irons back when they were new and of course the isi titanium driver.  Those were awesome clubs back in the day.  The last Ping driver I tried was the G2, if I remember correctly they were one of the first drivers to go over 45" in stock length.  So I cut it down and hated it.  I don't think I've tried another ping club since then.  Maybe it's time for another go because the new driver does look nice.

I'm a fan.... Their stuff is built well and performs well.  I'm in love with my Glide 2.0 wedges, feel is great and they have been performing beyond my expectations.  I have played some of my best rounds with a Ping driver in the bag.

Callaway Mavrik 9.5 Aldila Rogue white 60x

Ping G425 Max 14.5*  Aldila Rogue whtie 70x

Titleist 818h 21* Aldila Rogue black 85s

Ping S55 KBS $ Taper 125ht 4-P

Ping Glide 2.0 stealth 52/12, 58/10

Taylormade Spider X Navy 35"

I like (almost) everything about PING: Their engineering approach, their marketing, their attention to detail, their support of their employees, the subtle and consequential performance changes, their customer service, their branding, etc.  I don't like their fairway woods.  There, I said it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Driver PING G400 Max // K15 (10.5*)

Fairway Wood Callaway Steelhead XR // GBB Hawk Eye (18*)

Fairway Woods Callaway Big Bertha Warbird (21*,24*)

Irons PING G400 (6,7)/i200 (8-UW) // ISI-S (5-SW)

Wedges PING Glide 2.0 Stealth ES (56*,60*) // Eye2 XG (60*)

Putter PING Karsten 1959 Anser X // Anser X (35")

Bag Datrek Superlite (Stand // Cart)

Cart Clicgear 3.5+

I bought a Ping G400 driver off the rack last May after playing a few drives with my buddy's club. It was a huge risk, but it has changed my game dramatically. I play Mizuno JPX irons and Callaway Mavrik Max fairways. While I've been tempted to try a Callaway driver, I've managed to resist. If I change anytime soon (which is doubtful) I'll probably go with the Ping G425. 

4 hours ago, 14max said:

I like (almost) everything about PING: Their engineering approach, their marketing, their attention to detail, their support of their employees, the subtle and consequential performance changes, their customer service, their branding, etc.  I don't like their fairway woods.  There, I said it...

🤣 I'm 100% with you on the FW woods... I cannot even bring myself to demo them. Love Ping, currently play their irons and wedges, used a Ping putter a LONG time ago but I have never owned one of their drivers/fairways/hybrids.

I have been a Ping guy for a while now. For me, being a lefty, they offer everything in left and right hand. Also, I play quite a bit in Phoenix, Palm Springs, etc. so having nice soft, shiny, forged irons isn't the greatest when hitting out of desert (which does happen from time to time). Pings are indestructible and easy to hit. I still enjoy a nice forged / blade iron once in a while, but when playing to shoot my best scores, I will play my Pings. 

• Like 1

Driver & 3 wood: Ping G400

Hybrid: Adams

Irons (4 to U): Ping I200 or Staff FG62 (3 to P)

Wedges (56, 60): Ping Glide 2.0 or Staff FG Tour (52, 56, 60)

Putter: Ping Anser or My Day

On 3/17/2021 at 12:04 PM, chigolfer1 said:

I'll admit, the cutout in the iron shaft is a little weird.  I think it would make me feel like the head is just hanging on by a thread and could break off at any time, lol.

I've been playing Ping since the first I3's hit the market in 2000, with the cutout.  (except for a short flirtation with Mizuno, and I can speak with complete confidence that I have never had a head break off.  😉

FYI it's there to help with ease of bending lofts and lies since their steel is so durable and hard to bend.  It also moves weight away from the heel and increased MOI.  

Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G irons
Vokey 50,54,58
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell, Club Glove
ProV1x-mostly

47 minutes ago, Long_Left said:

🤣 I'm 100% with you on the FW woods... I cannot even bring myself to demo them. Love Ping, currently play their irons and wedges, used a Ping putter a LONG time ago but I have never owned one of their drivers/fairways/hybrids.

I wasn't either, until the G410 line, and now I am a huge fan.  They launch easy off the deck and don't snap hook on you like some brands tend to when you least expect it.  cough-cough Callaway.  

Ping G400
Ping G irons
Vokey 50,54,58
Odyssey Pro #1 black
ProV1x-mostly

The best ...

Performance and durability are unquestioned.

Aesthetics are a bit of an acquired taste, but I happen to love the functional beauty of their older (and some of their newer) stuff.

Driver: TaylorMade M3, 10.5*
Fairway: Adams Fast 10, 15*
Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19*
5-GW: Titleist 718 AP1, 24*-48*
SW: Ping Glide 2.0 ES, 56*
Putter: Bettinardi iNOVAi 5.0
Ball: Bridgestone B RX
Bag: Ping Mascot

2 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

I've been playing Ping since the first I3's hit the market in 2000, with the cutout.  (except for a short flirtation with Mizuno, and I can speak with complete confidence that I have never had a head break off.  😉

FYI it's there to help with ease of bending lofts and lies since their steel is so durable and hard to bend.  It also moves weight away from the heel and increased MOI.  

They've always had that weird cutout??  I swear it wasn't on the early G irons but maybe I am completely misremembering.

Just checked and I guess they have.  Isn't it more pronounced in the G425 though??

Edited by chigolfer1

Any time anybody asks me (especially non-golfers) what brand to buy I always say PING or Titleist if you don't have any preconceived notions based on marketing. Ping if you like a bit of a different look and Titleist if you are more traditional. Every brand has good clubs and every brand has their duds, but I think these two have over the years had the least amount of duds. Plus, they generally retain their value better than other brands if you want to re-sell. 

• Like 2

Tsi2 10*, Ventus Black 6s
G425 14.5 Diamana TB 70x
Mizuno STZ 18*, Atmos TS Black 7s
PING G425 hybrid *22 Accra TZ5 95 m4
JPX 921 Tour 5-GW DG 120 s300

SM8 56S
Fourteen RM4 60H
Odyssey 2 ball Ten

I play Ping clubs because they just flat out work for me. I liked their custom fitting when others didn't really offer any. One of the few companies that offered lies up to 5 degrees either way. Great customer service and you could beat the hell out of their older ss irons and they still looked new with a little clean up.

Callaway Rogue draw 10.5* 44.5"
Ping i3OS Irons 3 thru UW Nipon 8950GH shafts
Cobra Speed LD 15* 3 Wood
Titleist Vokey 56* SW
Ping Karsten C-67. 34"
Snell MTBX

1 hour ago, chigolfer1 said:

They've always had that weird cutout??  I swear it wasn't on the early G irons but maybe I am completely misremembering.

Just checked and I guess they have.  Isn't it more pronounced in the G425 though??

It started with the I3's, prior the Zings, ISI's and Eye's didnt have it.  I'm not saying there wasnt a model in there that didn't have it, but I don't recall...maybe the Anser irons which were forged.  

Edited by dlygrisse

Ping G400
Ping G irons
Vokey 50,54,58
Odyssey Pro #1 black
ProV1x-mostly

Never the beauty queen or have the best vocals, but always a good reliable friend.

EFSZ 9* (Ventus Blue VeloCore 6S) / 0811X+ Proto 10.5* (TZ5 Proto 55S) / G400LST 10* (Tensei CK White 60S).

0317 Gen1 17* & 0317X Gen2 19* (MMT 80S)

0311 Gen1 4-5 & 0311P Gen2 6-PW (SteelFiber i95S)

RTX4 Raw 52* & 58*, Mid (TI S400); HiToe 64* (HiRev 2.0)
SC Red X2 / WHP 7CS

Tour B XS (normal cond.) / LD V1x (windy cond.)

- Backups: F7 2-3H; 0211; TW-X; IC-601; 716 T-MB; Lucky 777CS; WHP CSM 400g; Sigma G Kinloch C.

48 minutes ago, 95124hacker said:

Never the beauty queen or have the best vocals, but always a good reliable friend.

I'd say THE most reliable friend. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST Tensei AV Raw White 65 TX

Taylormade Sim2 Ti 15* MCA Tensei AV Raw Blue 75X

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19* MCA Tensei CK Pro Orange 85S

Ping i210 4-PW Nippon Modus 120X

Titleist Vokey SM7 52* 8F 56* 10S 60* 8M DG S300

Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5 BGT LE Stability Shaft

Titleist Prov1

I was a Mizuno / Titleist blade player for years.  Then I went for more forgiveness, so MP 62’s, 59’s and Titleist CB,s  Went to J40’s for feel, finally Ping S55 for several years now.  The Ping S55 does not feel the same as forged, but offers a very forgiving iron in a smaller profile.  I would not hesitate to try Ping again when I replace the S55’s.  (Could be years).

• Like 1

I have a full bag of PING clubs and love them...  I purchased a brand new set of steel ISI's around 1998 or so then got out of golf only to return last fall.  I replaced my TISI driver with a G410 and picked up an older i20 2 hybrid to check out along with a couple of G410 hybrids and a NOS set of S55's...  while I never really liked the appearance of the ISI irons they worked well for me.  But I have fallen in love with the S55's.  I am going to go against the grain here as I think the S55's are some of the best looking irons I have ever seen.  

• Like 1
On 3/17/2021 at 11:25 AM, GHIN n Juice said:

Ping is the Toyota Corolla of golf equipment.  It works, and will do so for a long time, but it doesn’t look good and you can’t wait to use something better.

Like anyone cares what your clubs look like. What did you shoot today? I can assure you this guy doesn't care. He's a tour winner. https://www.golfwrx.com/423828/d-a-points-witb-2017/

Edited by 5 O'Clock Charlie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Ping G400 LST - Driver
Ping G400 - 3 Wood
Ping G400 - 3 Crossover
Ping i210 Irons (4-UW)
Ping Glide 3.0 Wedges - (56/60)
Scotty Cameron Golo 5 (2014)

I am thinking about putting my G20 Irons(big hunks of glorious irons) back in the back. I could go play the old G15 driver and G15 3 wood again as well if I had to.  Their equipment last and it works. Look at the resale value of many of their clubs.  You could buy a set of ping everything and probably play them the rest of your life if you wanted to.

Edited by herdman
On 3/17/2021 at 3:53 PM, MtlJeff said:

They are one of the best companies to go with if you want a relatively consistent look from set to set over like 20 years. 

Their clubs all look very similar at address each itiration. That is important to a lot of people. There's a comfort level with Ping

I have used them a lot, but we are on a break now

I'm about to take a break also, but I truly have only one complaint:  Driver sound.  That's it.  But the irons will stay in the house.  I know I'll be back, plus my son hits my G410s WAY better than I do.  But I did realize the G710s are BIG.  Too big for my eye.

I remember at one particular PGA Show just before the G410s came out, I got into a chat with one of their design engineers.  I work with engineers on a daily basis and you could tell he was a little uncomfortable talking until he got to design.  He lit up and began talking a blue streak on what they do, why, how they came up with some of their data, etc.  I knew then that these guys are TRULY engineers that simply take the data given and come up with designs that are hopefully better than the previous version.  If it shows that it isn't better, they'll make something available, but will keep a previous version out there for a while.  They have to balance out innovation and staying in business.

He even used the G400 MAX driver as the example.  He said it was the best they'd ever done and it would be hard to beat for a LONG time.  It was still made available to buy because it was still selling like it was day one.  It took them a while (as evidenced on this board) to get something that performed better.  For a long time, I kept telling customers to compare the G410 and G400.  Was the 410 better?  Yes, absolutely.  Then you pulled out a 400 MAX and while the numbers were better with the 410, it was shockingly more consistent and accurate.  It was a few yards shorter, but they realized that many might not want to change or they might get a few more sheckles from it.  They certainly did.  They finally were able to marry up both and you have the G425.

• Like 1

G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0

G410 5, 7 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0

G710 4-UW - Accra 70i

Glide 3.0 54ES, 58WS Accra 70i

PING Bruzer

PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch & Craz-E **Backups**

(My son is waiting patiently for the G425 woods so he can take my old ones!)

12 hours ago, 95124hacker said:

That's life advice right there.   They make the best wives.  🙂

• Like 2

G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0

G410 5, 7 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0

G710 4-UW - Accra 70i

Glide 3.0 54ES, 58WS Accra 70i

PING Bruzer

PING Vault 2.0 Ketsch & Craz-E **Backups**

(My son is waiting patiently for the G425 woods so he can take my old ones!)

I’ve been playing golf well over 50 years, starting around 5 or 6.  Bought my first set of Eye 2’s when they came out (and still have them). Tried the zings and ISI’s, then went back to the eye 2’s. Later bought a set for each of my three boys thinking there’s no way they will keep making these forever. They each still game them. Had a series of Anser, Anser2 and Pal putters. Tried Titleist blades and DCI cavity backs, and went back to the Eyes each time. Not pretty and other irons had better feel, but they just worked. 

After quitting golf for 12 years, for medical and personal reasons, came back deciding I needed a new set of irons and after a fitting went with Apex 19’s which everyone else in my club raved about. Great feel but my distance control was off. My friends would ask how far am I hitting my 7, and I’d say hmm 150-180. 

Just received a set of i210’s in the mail. We’ll see how they work, but Eye 2’s are still in the garage waiting for another round. 

Edited by Duct Tape
22 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

I wasn't either, until the G410 line, and now I am a huge fan.  They launch easy off the deck and don't snap hook on you like some brands tend to when you least expect it.  cough-cough Callaway.  

I picked up a used SIM Max 3w with a non-velocore "made for" Ventus Blue a couple weeks ago and am loving it. There is a local Ping rep in town who could get a lefty 425 3w I could try out I'm sure but they just look like someone stepped on it right after it came off the line to me, I'm a big believer in liking the "look" to take a natural swing at it, I'm 100% sure I could get used to it but TM seems to make fairways that I am confident standing over. Played my R11 TP 3w for over a decade, had a Cobra F8 in the bag for about a year but it had the surprise snapper built in as well 🤣

• Like 1

As a lefty I love Ping pretty much 95% of what they release is offered to lefties, maybe the odd specific variant or model is not available but I never have to worry about a model not being offered. 

As for how I get along with them my driver, 3w and hybrid are all Ping G410. In testing nothing else could beat them, I told the fitter fit whatever and I just hit Ping better than the rest. I've never tested the irons, I liked the Glide 2.0 wedges, not sure on the 3.0 look and putters meh but I'm like that with most OEM brands. 

• Like 1

Lefty

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - Kingdom Putter - SIK Pro Tour Proto - and more. 

WITB Thread

• 1t2golf locked and unlocked this topic
9 hours ago, Duct Tape said:

Just received a set of i210’s in the mail. We’ll see how they work, but Eye 2’s are still in the garage waiting for another round. 

That was a good decision, you will not be disappointed! i210's are unreal.

Ping G400 LST - Driver
Ping G400 - 3 Wood
Ping G400 - 3 Crossover
Ping i210 Irons (4-UW)
Ping Glide 3.0 Wedges - (56/60)
Scotty Cameron Golo 5 (2014)