Ping G425 Max?

Honeybadger

I put a Fuji Ventus Red 6s in my G425MAX and it really tightened up everything.

I had been playing the MC Tensei Orange 65s and a Aldila Rouge White 60s and although these were fine shafts, they both felt a little loose (high torque) and I thought dispersion could be better. I used to play a Graphite Design DJ6s in my last driver that I played for 10 years, and the Ventus Red was the closest modern shaft I could find with a similar profile (stiff butt, mid launch-spin, low torque). I took a chance and a hit to the wallet and purchased the Ventus Red 6s. I had to go a little shorter (45" compared to 45.25") and put a 23 gram weight in it to get it to D2.5 swingweight, but I no longer have to put the weight in the toe to counter the toe hits I was getting with the other shafts. My ball flight is much more consistent now and I am hitting the sweet spot more leading to more fairways hit and a bigger smile on my face.

Yeah, it was expensive, but I will be playing this driver for many years to come so I would say it was worth it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, belh22 said:

Just loose cotton balls in the head? 

Yes just loose.  Cotton balls, Poly-fill, and Yarn.  All old school tricks to muffle loud drivers.  

It would take more than 2 cotton balls though.  The idea is to completely fill the head with something really light.  Slows down the sound waves.  Similar to what we used to do back in the day with stereo/car subwoofers boxes.

Edited by jblough99

Callaway Epic Speed 💎💎💎 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6TX

Fairway/Hybrid Testing 

Ping I210 4-UW Modus 120X

Ping Glide Forged Pro 54S Modus 125 Wedge

Ping Glide Forged Pro 59S Eye2 Modus 125 Wedge

Tour Issue Odyssey Protype PT12 Butane Finish

I just finished hot melting my G425 Max.  Added about 6 grams neutral.  Just tapping the sole with my fingernails, I can tell the sound is already much better.  Will be hitting it tomorrow to see how it goes.  

Edited by jblough99
  • Like 1

Fairway/Hybrid Testing 

Just a follow up, I got swings in with the hot melted G425 Max.  DRAMATIC change in sound.  The hollow, tin can sound is completely gone.  Very solid thud now.

Fairway/Hybrid Testing 

I live in SW Florida. It's hot and way too wet. The courses are all swampy. Zero roll out.

I play the G425 Max with a Ventus Black 6S. I happen to like the sound.

I think this driver is the most accurate I've played since the FTIQ. 

I also have the max 3 wood with a Ventus Black 7S.  At first I loved it, but I'm feeling noncommittal after my last couple rounds. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/5/2021 at 7:07 AM, NoTalentLefty said:

Dam that has made a big Difference. The club has been saved from the for sale forum. 

Well my curiosity got the best of me. Put the original Alta CB shaft back into play. It’s actually a great shaft. Problem was a swing flaw not a shaft problem for me. Alta will be on for what is left of the golf year . 

• Like 1

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

425 max 9*: the first swing on the simulator I got 280 carry and bought one the next day. What I should have done is buy a secondhand g400 445cc, I like the look of the regular g400. The 425 max still serves me well, I tried all kinds of things with this head, 44 to 42 inch shaft, filled with cotton ball or yarn.

so as of now I have 45.5 inch playing length, with only yarn in the head, I removed all of the hotmelt from the factory, it actually quite easy to do with a hex key. swing weight of d3. sounds better then hotmelt of the same weight. Family used to say I am destroying the driver at the driving range. thats how loud it was. So with only yarn, all of the high pitch is taken out. still louder than tour driver but very pleasant sound.

2 hours ago, is200LS said:

425 max 9*: the first swing on the simulator I got 280 carry and bought one the next day. What I should have done is buy a secondhand g400 445cc, I like the look of the regular g400. The 425 max still serves me well, I tried all kinds of things with this head, 44 to 42 inch shaft, filled with cotton ball or yarn.

so as of now I have 45.5 inch playing length, with only yarn in the head, I removed all of the hotmelt from the factory, it actually quite easy to do with a hex key. swing weight of d3. sounds better then hotmelt of the same weight. Family used to say I am destroying the driver at the driving range. thats how loud it was. So with only yarn, all of the high pitch is taken out. still louder than tour driver but very pleasant sound.

Curious is there a how to video out there on how to add yard...

I have demoed the g425 max in a fitting studio and it sounds weird. Worst sounding driver I have ever heard indoors. However, I took one to the course yesterday and it sounded completely different outdoors. Not a sim or tsi sound by any means but I didn't mind it at all outside. I am now open to owning one as my gamer. If sound is keeping you away I recommend giving it a shot outside. 

Edited by Wooderson

Let me tell you what Wooderson is packin'
Titleist TSi2 9° AD IZ 6s
Titleist TS2 16.5°  EF White 65s
Ping G410 21° EF White 75s
Ping G410 22°/25°/30° Hybrid Tensei White
Mizuno HM 7-PW Recoil 95r
Ping Glide 3.0 GW/SW

Ping Eye 2 XG LW

Ping Sigma 2 Valor

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Haden Buckner said:

Having trouble adjusting the degree on my G425 max. I unscrew the bolt on the back side of the head and I can’t get it to move. Anyone else having trouble with this ? What do I need to do ?

You have to fully unscrew the weight the reinstall it in the other screw port. It does not slide. 

3 hours ago, Haden Buckner said:

Having trouble adjusting the degree on my G425 max. I unscrew the bolt on the back side of the head and I can’t get it to move. Anyone else having trouble with this ? What do I need to do ?

If you’re trying to adjust the loft sometimes the head gets stuck. Loosen the torx screw (don’t remove it) then tap the grip end on the ground a couple times and the head will come loose. 

On 9/8/2021 at 2:19 PM, ShortSticks said:

I put a Fuji Ventus Red 6s in my G425MAX and it really tightened up everything.

I had been playing the MC Tensei Orange 65s and a Aldila Rouge White 60s and although these were fine shafts, they both felt a little loose (high torque) and I thought dispersion could be better. I used to play a Graphite Design DJ6s in my last driver that I played for 10 years, and the Ventus Red was the closest modern shaft I could find with a similar profile (stiff butt, mid launch-spin, low torque). I took a chance and a hit to the wallet and purchased the Ventus Red 6s. I had to go a little shorter (45" compared to 45.25") and put a 23 gram weight in it to get it to D2.5 swingweight, but I no longer have to put the weight in the toe to counter the toe hits I was getting with the other shafts. My ball flight is much more consistent now and I am hitting the sweet spot more leading to more fairways hit and a bigger smile on my face.

Yeah, it was expensive, but I will be playing this driver for many years to come so I would say it was worth it.

Update:

I see why so many players use the Ventus line of shafts. THE HYPE IS REAL. After a couple of months playing the Ventus Red 6s I have to say it may be the best shaft I have ever hit. Tight and smooth, long and accurate. For my swing speed of 100-105 mph, it fits perfect. This shaft really brought the G425 MAX to life as I can now go after it and not worry about snap hooks or blow out pushes that I had with the previous shafts. And WOW, is it long. The high MOI of the PING G425 MAX combined with the accuracy and length of this shaft is a lethal combo that was worth every penny.

I still don't understand peoples problem with the sound. I think it sounds great every time another bomb lands in the fairway!

• Like 2

Still awaiting my G425 Max with Tensei Orange 65x but traded in a few old clubs during the current bonus at GolfTown and grabbed a G425 LST and can’t possibly see how I could get any more accurate. I’ve got the LST 9 degree in standard setting with a Project x PXv Tour 52 7.0 tipped one inch. It is the nicest flight and sound I’ve ever had in a driver. The only reason I’m playing that shaft is because all they had in store were regular flex but I really wanted a driver and didn’t want to wait, so built it with the “old” PXv. Personally caught lightning in a bottle by pure chance. Will still keep the max when it arrives to compare, but for now I’ve got my gamer. The max was definitely louder when I was being fit for it when ordering a month or so ago. The lst is a much more solid sound. Not sure I have a preference in sound though. Just play based on performance.

The G425 series are legit.  

• Like 1