Driving iron loft if 4 iron is 22 degrees?

justcallmemoses

18* or 19* depending on the clubhead and what kind of flight you want.

If you stick with steel DG105 is probably a good place to start since it's similar to your irons.

Edited by jvincent
  • Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

3 minutes ago, justcallmemoses said:

I’m thinking 

P790 3 iron 19 deg DG105

or 

TMB 3 Iron 20 degree DG AMT White

IMO the 20* won't give you enough of a gap.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

A lot of it will depend on what you use that gap club for and your preferences around face angles and hybrid vs fairway wood vs DI. Lots of 7w love these days, and the TS2 7-wood gets a lot of it and can be lofted down to the 20* range. A bit close to the 4i but shaft length and head design will make it fill a very different role and still be sufficiently longer. A strong hybrid could easily slot in there as well, and the neat thing with the Titleist Surefit hosel is that the .335 wood version can still fit into and function normally in their hybrids, so if you had a shaft that you really liked then it is easy to swap between a hypothetical TItleist 5w, 7w, and 2h to test them all out. If you like Titleist stuff then that would be the path i'd try. 

If you could provide more detail around what you'd want to use the club for (tee, fairway, approach), face angle preferences (open, neutral, or closed), head design preferences (hybrid, fairway, iron) and any areas that you may need help in then we can make better recommendations. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

You have two options:

1) you have a friend that has a Trackman/GCQuad and a bunch of shafts/heads to try,

or

2) go pay for a proper fitting.

Asking people for shaft recommendations on a forum is dodgy, at best. Everyone delivers the club head to the ball differently. One man's low launch/low spin shaft is another's high launch/high spin sh*t show. 

Edited by seth514

TM Stealth 10.5* -- Speeder Evo VII 569s

TM Stealth 16.5* -- GD AD-IZ 6s

Titleist T200 4 -- Accra 200H M4

Titleist T100S 5-GW -- Modus 120

TM MG3 52*, 56*TW, 60*TW -- KBS HiRev

Sik Jo C -- KBS CT Tour

17 hours ago, Valtiel said:

A lot of it will depend on what you use that gap club for and your preferences around face angles and hybrid vs fairway wood vs DI. Lots of 7w love these days, and the TS2 7-wood gets a lot of it and can be lofted down to the 20* range. A bit close to the 4i but shaft length and head design will make it fill a very different role and still be sufficiently longer. A strong hybrid could easily slot in there as well, and the neat thing with the Titleist Surefit hosel is that the .335 wood version can still fit into and function normally in their hybrids, so if you had a shaft that you really liked then it is easy to swap between a hypothetical TItleist 5w, 7w, and 2h to test them all out. If you like Titleist stuff then that would be the path i'd try. 

If you could provide more detail around what you'd want to use the club for (tee, fairway, approach), face angle preferences (open, neutral, or closed), head design preferences (hybrid, fairway, iron) and any areas that you may need help in then we can make better recommendations. 

My home course has a few par 4s that require placement off the tee (dogleg/water etc). 4 iron is a bit short and 3 wood is too long so I need a tweener. I play in Ireland on a parkland course but the course is known to get quite windy given it’s location. 

My 4 iron (P760 with DG120 S300) is a 205 yard carry club on trackman and can roll out to 220 yards depending on conditions.

My swing path is 99% of the time usually in to out and I play a draw mostly, so my preferred face angle is usually square to open. Tempo is medium. 5 handicap.

The par 5s are very reachable but there are a lot of hanging lies on my course so getting a flat lie to hit a 3 wood can be challenging. Regarding head design preferences, I usually prefer clean looking clubs and struggle looking at hybrids or fairways that look as if they present too much loft (e.g some look like a long shafted PW). Ideally a tee club where I can’t hit driver or 3 wood but something to also help with second shots on Par5s if I do hit the fairway. If I miss a fairway it’s usually a lay up unless it’s a nice lie for a 3 wood.

- Sim 9 degree 

Aldila Rogue Silver 60S

- TS3 15 degree (switch between two shafts)

Diamana Blue 70S

Aldila Rogue Black 80S 

P760 4-Pw DG 120 S300

If that helps in terms of feels I like

Edited by justcallmemoses

17 hours ago, seth514 said:

You have two options:

1) you have a friend that has a Trackman/GCQuad and a bunch of shafts/heads to try,

or

2) go pay for a proper fitting.

Asking people for shaft recommendations on a forum is dodgy, at best. Everyone delivers the club head to the ball differently. One man's low launch/low spin shaft is another's high launch/high spin sh*t show. 

Probably just going to ignore your answer since it's the correct one. Wish more people would quote you and say "this".

• Like 1

6 hours ago, justcallmemoses said:

My home course has a few par 4s that require placement off the tee (dogleg/water etc). 4 iron is a bit short and 3 wood is too long so I need a tweener. I play in Ireland on a parkland course but the course is known to get quite windy given it’s location. 

My 4 iron (P760 with DG120 S300) is a 205 yard carry club on trackman and can roll out to 220 yards depending on conditions.

My swing path is 99% of the time usually in to out and I play a draw mostly, so my preferred face angle is usually square to open. Tempo is medium. 5 handicap.

The par 5s are very reachable but there are a lot of hanging lies on my course so getting a flat lie to hit a 3 wood can be challenging. Regarding head design preferences, I usually prefer clean looking clubs and struggle looking at hybrids or fairways that look as if they present too much loft (e.g some look like a long shafted PW). Ideally a tee club where I can’t hit driver or 3 wood but something to also help with second shots on Par5s if I do hit the fairway. If I miss a fairway it’s usually a lay up unless it’s a nice lie for a 3 wood.

- Sim 9 degree 

Aldila Rogue Silver 60S

- TS3 15 degree (switch between two shafts)

Diamana Blue 70S

Aldila Rogue Black 80S 

P760 4-Pw DG 120 S300

If that helps in terms of feels I like

Excellent info, thanks!

This will be a tricky one since some of your requirements/preferences conflict with each other. Par 5 approaches are usually better suited to fairway woods/hybrids for most, but not liking the look of too much loft on the club will lean you towards more of a driving iron. Some of the sleeker, smaller headed Titleist hybrids in that 17*-20* range might be worth looking at. The venerable 818H2 could fit the bill while giving you adjustability options for face angle and a clean look, and the newer TS Titleist hybrids definitely appear to be powerful in terms of distance. The visible loft concerns would lean me away from the 7-wood option, especially if you like the P760 long iron look as that would be a big departure. The new P770 model could be an option in the stronger lofts, I just worry about its utility for coming in to Par 5's if that is something you need, especially if you aren't in the swing speed category to really fully take advantage of a driving iron. 

Go check out some of the compact Titleist hybrids and see if those suit your eye, my gut feeling based on your requirements and your swing speed says that is the best option performance wise, but that will depend on how you feel looking down at it. One of the stock, no upcharge options is the Tensei Pro Blue 80 Hybrid which would be a great compliment to your fairway wood shafts. If the hybrids just don't suite your eye at all then I would look at some of the 7w options like the TSi2 just to see how the loft appears to you. 

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Bridgestone 

8 hours ago, sac42c said:

Probably just going to ignore your answer since it's the correct one. Wish more people would quote you and say "this".

I have done both. Everything is locked up in Ireland still so only looking for recommendations to try for when things reopen in the next few weeks 

20 hours ago, Valtiel said:

Excellent info, thanks!

This will be a tricky one since some of your requirements/preferences conflict with each other. Par 5 approaches are usually better suited to fairway woods/hybrids for most, but not liking the look of too much loft on the club will lean you towards more of a driving iron. Some of the sleeker, smaller headed Titleist hybrids in that 17*-20* range might be worth looking at. The venerable 818H2 could fit the bill while giving you adjustability options for face angle and a clean look, and the newer TS Titleist hybrids definitely appear to be powerful in terms of distance. The visible loft concerns would lean me away from the 7-wood option, especially if you like the P760 long iron look as that would be a big departure. The new P770 model could be an option in the stronger lofts, I just worry about its utility for coming in to Par 5's if that is something you need, especially if you aren't in the swing speed category to really fully take advantage of a driving iron. 

Go check out some of the compact Titleist hybrids and see if those suit your eye, my gut feeling based on your requirements and your swing speed says that is the best option performance wise, but that will depend on how you feel looking down at it. One of the stock, no upcharge options is the Tensei Pro Blue 80 Hybrid which would be a great compliment to your fairway wood shafts. If the hybrids just don't suite your eye at all then I would look at some of the 7w options like the TSi2 just to see how the loft appears to you. 

Borrowed a TS2 21 7 wood head off a friend and hit a few balls into a net at home this evening. C1 setting is actually fine looking to my eye. Obviously I can’t see the flight in a net but it feels nice.

I hit it with my spare 3 wood shaft Aldila Rogue 80 stiff. Tempted to buy a head online and take a chance (sell on if doesn’t work out on the course).

I was going to butt trim the shaft but should I tip it more?

• Like 1

IMO Much more information is needed, like skill level, and cover yardages of each club.   Plus, we don't know how large the gap is.

Filling the gap is not about finding the perfect loft of a driving iron.  But testing various clubs to determine what covers the yardage gap.  It might not be a driving iron.

My driver is 9.5' and my 4wd is adjusted 15.5' (actual 16.5).  A small loft spread between 4wd and 2i, yet I can cover the yardage between Driver and 2i, based on adjusting the length of my swing and or how hard I hit the ball. 

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

6 hours ago, justcallmemoses said:

Borrowed a TS2 21 7 wood head off a friend and hit a few balls into a net at home this evening. C1 setting is actually fine looking to my eye. Obviously I can’t see the flight in a net but it feels nice.

I hit it with my spare 3 wood shaft Aldila Rogue 80 stiff. Tempted to buy a head online and take a chance (sell on if doesn’t work out on the course).

I was going to butt trim the shaft but should I tip it more?

Nice! I believe it was @bladehunter that was singing the praises of the TS2 7w, not to mention many tour pros as well. C1 is a great setting on the higher lofted fairways and hybrids for guys that want the lower lofted, more open look to help with the lefts. I would tip the shaft at least 1/2" more for the extra head weight if you like how the Rogue feels and performs in the 3w, maybe even a full 1" of extra tipping. That will keep it feeling and performing similar to what you're used to. Keep us posted!

Bridgestone 

On 3/18/2021 at 2:08 PM, justcallmemoses said:

P760 4-Pw DG 120 S300

If you game taylormade irons I’d opt for a driving iron in the same family. Perhaps a P790 UDI which is a 17 degree. Good luck!

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple D w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 70TX @45.25

3W: Taylormade M2 15* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 80X.

5W: Taylormade M6 18* w/ Hazardous Smoke Green Hulk 90 TX.

Irons: Miura Retro Tournament blades 3i, 4i, and 7i. Miura MB-001 5i, 6i, 8i-PW. 3i with MMT 125TX. 4i-PW are Oak doweled, DG X100 Tiger Stepped 1/4”

lofts: 3i: 20* 4i: 24* 5i: 28* 6i: 32* 7i: 36* 8i: 40* 9i: 44* PW: 48*

Wedges: Fourteen RM4 56* DG X7, Miura 59* At 61* DG X7

Putter: Taylormade Spider

Grips: Golf pride MCC+4.

Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV

Got this club built up and hit a few balls on a local trackman. Have to say this is a exactly the club I needed.

Never thought I’d see myself playing a 7 wood 😂👌

Playing length is 41.5 giving myself that extra half inch to grip down when needed 

DB1D20F4-A16C-4FA2-930F-0ABC629A1C4E.jpeg

4F338D8F-F1EA-4F91-82AF-7FC30B775605.jpeg

A53B6047-C6D9-46D9-96AF-52655F0963EF.jpeg

Edited by justcallmemoses