Best Wedge ah

Liveonce

Whats your swing speed? The C Taper lites can feel like rebar if you arent swinging fast enough. My UDI came shafted with one and I absolutely hated it; it was great when I was synced up but never liked the feel nor how stiff it felt. I swapped it out, but there are plenty of threads here talking about them.

What do you currently game?

Mostly PING clubs, with TaylorMade woods.

They don’t require huge speed. Have been fitted into them a few times — C taper lite X flex, soft-stepped once, with an 86 mph 7 iron, is what I recall. Whether my tempo is smooth or abrupt, still gave a nice penetrating flight for me and the ball stops on a dime. If I played them again would likely go with 110g stiffs. I like them a whole lot more than standard C Tapers. CTL worked as well as Project X Rifles for me, but they’re less demanding.

They seem to be a polarizing shaft on wrx but even when I’ve tried the Mizuno shaft optimizer, CTL was one of the top recommendations. So I guess it is whether it works for your action. I try to be smooth and turn properly but my main bad habit is a quicker hitter’s move and so I need shafts that will work regardless. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

1 hour ago, dmeeksDC said:

They don’t require huge speed. Have been fitted into them a few times — C taper lite X flex, soft-stepped once, with an 86 mph 7 iron, is what I recall. Whether my tempo is smooth or abrupt, still gave a nice penetrating flight for me and the ball stops on a dime. If I played them again would likely go with 110g stiffs. I like them a whole lot more than standard C Tapers. CTL worked as well as Project X Rifles for me, but they’re less demanding.

They seem to be a polarizing shaft on wrx but even when I’ve tried the Mizuno shaft optimizer, CTL was one of the top recommendations. So I guess it is whether it works for your action. I try to be smooth and turn properly but my main bad habit is a quicker hitter’s move and so I need shafts that will work regardless. 

So true. They seem to be a love hate shaft with no in between. I have a similar iron swing speed as you and have been told I’m aggressive from the top but with good tempo. I’ve been fitted into the 110 stiff hard stepped once and the 115 soft stepped once bu the optimizer. I enjoy the feel of this shaft and do not find it harsh. I have learned that I lean toward very tip stiff shafts throughout the bag though. When I tell a fitter a shaft feels stable they will tell me others find what I feel as harsh. Strange how perception works. Remember when we just played S300 or X100 and went with it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sl1111 said:

So true. They seem to be a love hate shaft with no in between. I have a similar iron swing speed as you and have been told I’m aggressive from the top but with good tempo. I’ve been fitted into the 110 stiff hard stepped once and the 115 soft stepped once bu the optimizer. I enjoy the feel of this shaft and do not find it harsh. I have learned that I lean toward very tip stiff shafts throughout the bag though. When I tell a fitter a shaft feels stable they will tell me others find what I feel as harsh. Strange how perception works. Remember when we just played S300 or X100 and went with it. 

My take exactly. Not harsh at all to me — Rifle 6.0 is tougher. I like the ‘tight’ feel CTL gives, seems like the ball really holds its line. I am guessing it is the more aggressive hitter swings I make that makes the shaft a good fit for me on the optimizer. The other ones it suggests are C Taper 120S (I can play it, but it feels like too much for me), PX Rifle 6.0 (I prefer 5.5) and DG 120 X100 (I go with 120 S300). I do find the optimizer is sometimes about a 1/2 flex stronger than I like to play. And when I drop down a bit, the numbers don’t change much anyway. I think a lot of players would like it if they dropped down a half-flex. So when it says CTL X flex, I find S flex hard-stepped once to be the “comfort” fit. I also can say the new Project X IO 6.0 does not feel as stiff as the Rifle 6.0. Same with the PX LZ. Both are much easier to handle. Flex does not correlate from shaft to shaft. But the C Taper Lite hangs right in there with all these shafts. I would say it feels like a shaft inbetween the PX IO and Rifles. 

And you’re right. For years I played heavier S300 and never even considered the shaft. But no doubt the 110-115g shafts are my sweet spot. I notice weight the most.

The OP asked about injuries. I have not had elbow pain in golf, but I have had wrist pain. It came from hitting off mats and just being too steep — weight hanging back, which leads to steeper impact force into the ground, not the ball — but that was poor mechanics and hitting the mats hard, not the shaft. Lessons improved my sequence and my wrist stopped hurting. 

I play them now. It was my #1 choice through a full traditional iron fitting, with PX LZ 6.0 coming in second. The Mizuno optimizer wanted me in the heaviest, stiffest shafts on the market and I call complete BS on their current algorithms. There is no way I could load a C-Taper 130X, but in the off chance that I could, there is no way I could hit a 3/4 shot with it properly. I'd actually be curious to see what the prior generation of optimizer says about me now, but that's beside the point and also the reason we did a full fitting.

I fight high spin and tend to like tip-stiff shafts. Prior to these I had the original Royal Precision Rifle Flighted 6.0 shafts, fitted to me when new. I used to want the extra height on long irons but things changed over time and I found I was losing a lot of distance because I was spinning the heck out of all the irons in the higher-flight category (4-6 if I understand it correctly). The CTLX performs well throughout the set, so short irons aren't ballooning and long irons aren't too low or anything. FWIW I use the PX LZ 6.0 in wedges and I think they complement each other nicely.

Regarding feel and pain, I don't think they feel harsh at all. Project X (not LZ) is what I describe as harsh. These are smooth and stable IMO. I do not get elbow pain or wrist pain, and part of the reason I was happy to get into a lighter iron shaft is from lingering car accident pain. The weight makes them comfortable to swing and I think 115g is my sweet spot. All this being said, if pain is your primary concern, I would absolutely take a look around the graphite iron market. MMT 105TX maybe soft-stepped, Accra iTour series, and obviously the Steelfibers and some others are probably worth checking out. Now that Callaway does the MMT as a stock option there is an opportunity to get a high quality new set with them for a bunch of money rather than a ton of money.

• Like 1

I just ordered my irons with the c taper lite in zx5/7 combo. My thoughts are they perform, but aren’t the smoothest at impact. For me being steep and a high swing speed, they gave me the best distance along with the highest ball flight of all the shafts I tested. I guess it depends on how much stock you put into feel. 

Thanks for all of the replies. Personally I thought they felt great. I hear people talking about “steep” a lot. What do most consider a steep angle of attack?

for those that asked, I am leaving Tour130x and going to these. I was not fit for the 130s and was fit for the c taper lite 110’s. Driver swing speed is around 106

Edited by Liveonce

2 hours ago, Liveonce said:

Thanks for all of the replies. Personally I thought they felt great. I hear people talking about “steep” a lot. What do most consider a steep angle of attack?

for those that asked, I am leaving Tour130x and going to these. I was not fit for the 130s and was fit for the c taper lite 110’s. Driver swing speed is around 106

Don't worry about anybody else's steep angle of attack. Shafts aren't bandaids for that. Feel and good numbers are all you need and it sounds like you have that.

• Like 1

Yes, in C Taper Lite X straight since 2015.   The fitter was just giving me head shaft combos to hit without me looking what they were, and it gave the best dispersion on Trackman.  95 mph 6 iron shallow, 115 driver, high ball not much movement.  It just seemed straighter on monitor and in wind.  I'm not too sensitive with shafts, but did like the lighter and stout feel.  Came from Apex 4s that were also light but felt flexible and just had a lot of right to left with them before CTLX.

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

14 hours ago, bnperrone said:

I play them now. It was my #1 choice through a full traditional iron fitting, with PX LZ 6.0 coming in second. The Mizuno optimizer wanted me in the heaviest, stiffest shafts on the market and I call complete BS on their current algorithms. There is no way I could load a C-Taper 130X, but in the off chance that I could, there is no way I could hit a 3/4 shot with it properly. I'd actually be curious to see what the prior generation of optimizer says about me now, but that's beside the point and also the reason we did a full fitting.

I fight high spin and tend to like tip-stiff shafts. Prior to these I had the original Royal Precision Rifle Flighted 6.0 shafts, fitted to me when new. I used to want the extra height on long irons but things changed over time and I found I was losing a lot of distance because I was spinning the heck out of all the irons in the higher-flight category (4-6 if I understand it correctly). The CTLX performs well throughout the set, so short irons aren't ballooning and long irons aren't too low or anything. FWIW I use the PX LZ 6.0 in wedges and I think they complement each other nicely.

Regarding feel and pain, I don't think they feel harsh at all. Project X (not LZ) is what I describe as harsh. These are smooth and stable IMO. I do not get elbow pain or wrist pain, and part of the reason I was happy to get into a lighter iron shaft is from lingering car accident pain. The weight makes them comfortable to swing and I think 115g is my sweet spot. All this being said, if pain is your primary concern, I would absolutely take a look around the graphite iron market. MMT 105TX maybe soft-stepped, Accra iTour series, and obviously the Steelfibers and some others are probably worth checking out. Now that Callaway does the MMT as a stock option there is an opportunity to get a high quality new set with them for a bunch of money rather than a ton of money.

This is great stuff. I’m tellin ya, the Mizuno optimizer always goes stiffer than ya need! Really like the mixing in of the PX LZ in the short irons. I can see them working well with the CTL. I’m a notch below you in flex and I’d say the CTL stiff and LZ 5.5 would play similar. Either one of those shafts works in a full set for me.  

On 3/19/2021 at 4:37 AM, dmeeksDC said:

This is great stuff. I’m tellin ya, the Mizuno optimizer always goes stiffer than ya need! Really like the mixing in of the PX LZ in the short irons. I can see them working well with the CTL. I’m a notch below you in flex and I’d say the CTL stiff and LZ 5.5 would play similar. Either one of those shafts works in a full set for me.  

I found when I was fitting that the best results came from using the Mizuno optimizer for toe down/release numbers etc, but Trackman for the clubhead speed. The optimizer was always 2-5mph fast and that really changes the suggested shafts. I have to sing their praises doing it that way, though; only once was the final shaft choice outside the top three, and even then it was the fourth shaft

On 3/18/2021 at 9:19 AM, bnperrone said:

FWIW I use the PX LZ 6.0 in wedges and I think they complement each other nicely.

On 3/18/2021 at 11:37 PM, dmeeksDC said:

can see them working well with the CTL.

Good call on the PX LX wedge shaft complement for CTL.  At least on paper the specs look great for that popular combo of slightly heavier yet "maybe a little softer for feel" thing like those with X100 S400 combos.  AND the stepless design.

I looked towards Tour V for wedges because of the 120-125g uncut weight, and was hesitant on regular C Taper because of comments on tips bending.  FWIW I just stuck with S300 in SW and LW because of familiarity, and have a Tour V 120x in GW.. They all feel and play fine for me, but LZ could be a good test.

D1 Cobra LTDx, OG HZ Black 62 6.5 D2 TM R510TP, 757X 3W OG Ping Rapture, OG HZ Black 75 6.0 20°H Ping G20, CTLX 5I Cobra F9, CTLX 5I-PW Mizuno MP-54, CTLX GW Nike VPC, V120X 54, 60 CBX Zipcore, V120X Cure RX4, CX3. WITB Link. CAD Designs on IG @joostin.golf

4 hours ago, golfing_penguin said:

I found when I was fitting that the best results came from using the Mizuno optimizer for toe down/release numbers etc, but Trackman for the clubhead speed. The optimizer was always 2-5mph fast and that really changes the suggested shafts. I have to sing their praises doing it that way, though; only once was the final shaft choice outside the top three, and even then it was the fourth shaft

I agree. I think it suggests shafts that will work great, just go with them either a half- of full-flex softer. Every shaft it recommended is just right when I do that. 

Went today and tried 4 shafts: C Taper Lite, Project X LZ 5.5, Project X IO 6.0 and Nippon Modus 105S. Outdoor range with Top Tracer. 

C Taper Lite was consistently 5-6 yards longer carry than the other shafts. Both of the Project X shafts launched higher and spun higher. CTL was much more penetrating. 

Edited by dmeeksDC

On 3/20/2021 at 8:24 AM, dmeeksDC said:

Went today and tried 4 shafts: C Taper Lite, Project X LZ 5.5, Project X IO 6.0 and Nippon Modus 105S. Outdoor range with Top Tracer. 

C Taper Lite was consistently 5-6 yards longer carry than the other shafts. Both of the Project X shafts launched higher and spun higher. CTL was much more penetrating. 

I demo'ed those same exact shafts yesterday along with the DG 105 S and Modus 120 S (which I had). Same result as you, brought my flight down and gained distance.

44 minutes ago, phatcatkev said:

For those who have played them, did the look bother you at all? I got fit into them and ordered them right away because I have no self control, but the look was the only thing throwing me off.. 

I feel you,I just got fitted into them with 921 forged and remember thinking it looked odd during the fitting but I wasn't sure if that was just a fitting version. I should have asked because I was for sure disappointed when I got them because I had chosen MCC +4 in gray (which I game now) and they look way better on non-brushed steel.  I can't tell if I don't like it or if it's just because I haven't been staring at it long enough. Something tells me, if I start hitting dimes than I won't care any more. Really looking forward to getting on the course.

Ping G425 LST  10.5* -  Ping Tour 65x
TaylorMade R15 3W - Speeder Evolution S
Ping G425 2 Hybrid 17* - Ping Tour 85x
Mizuno 921F 4-GW - KBS C-Taper Lite X
Cleveland RTX 60
TaylorMade Spider - Counterweight 

2 hours ago, Hollywoodtlb said:

I feel you,I just got fitted into them with 921 forged and remember thinking it looked odd during the fitting but I wasn't sure if that was just a fitting version. I should have asked because I was for sure disappointed when I got them because I had chosen MCC +4 in gray (which I game now) and they look way better on non-brushed steel.  I can't tell if I don't like it or if it's just because I haven't been staring at it long enough. Something tells me, if I start hitting dimes than I won't care any more. Really looking forward to getting on the course.

Hahah I couldn't have worded it better...if they perform well I will love the look! 

I have a C-Taper light 115X in my driver iron (Mizuno MP18 Fli-Hi 16.5*).  I do better with this club when I stay reasonably aggressive.  But I've also found that if I take something off, it gives me a lower fade and 10-15yds less - every time.  I like consistency.  

For reference, I play DG X100 in my MP54s, and have Rifle 6.5 in my backup set (MP32).  

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

• Liveonce changed the title to Best Wedge ah