How often do you change your wedges?

I love the bite you get with new wedges and generally change my wedges every year or so. Watching a clip of Tiger and Rory and they change their wedges about every 1.5-2 tournaments. While I’m not looking to changing every month I am curious to know how often others change their wedges. 

my current wedges (Callaway JAWS) are about 2-3 months old and look like they’re a few years old from all the practice. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Probably a new set every season, but nothing to do with spin...I usually just want new wedges

Yeah, you can’t look at what Rory and tiger say without looking at what jason said...the part of me that wants to buy new stuff all the time wants to believe I need to buy new wedges all the time, but

I change it about 1/5th as often as MFGs wish I would. Keep 'em clean, use a good ball and you have consistency for *years*.       

31 minutes ago, Saltydawg15 said:

I love the bite you get with new wedges and generally change my wedges every year or so. Watching a clip of Tiger and Rory and they change their wedges about every 1.5-2 tournaments. While I’m not looking to changing every month I am curious to know how often others change their wedges. 

my current wedges (Callaway JAWS) are about 2-3 months old and look like they’re a few years old from all the practice. 

Not to ruin the “club ho” path you seem to be asking permission to go down lol, but Jason day does not change his wedges for almost a whole season cause he says he doesn’t need the spin, he generates enough, and that he knows how the ball will react to the club after each warmup session. 

I change once the edges of the groves start to become hard to see, which usually is a season or two. If I were playing tournaments right now, I would have a set I practice with for the season, and a set I game with. Then the two sets usually last me two seasons

Edited by extrastiff

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx 

Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 4,5 iron/x7 37”

Forged one length 5-pw/x7 wedge

Hi toe 54*11, 64*5/s400 wedge

Sik pro c/lagolf armlock

I might be crazy but... i think mines will still be good by at least 4 seasons. At least i think... i haven't got that far every because im a ho fo sho. That being said... i dont practice at all so maybe thats why. I personally feel for me 4 to 5 seasons... im just hitting little chips and pitches or 3 quarter swings with them... not that much damage really.

51 minutes ago, extrastiff said:

Not to ruin the “club ho” path you seem to be asking permission to go down lol, but Jason day does not change his wedges for almost a whole season cause he says he doesn’t need the spin, he generates enough, and that he knows how the ball will react to the club after each warmup session. 

I change once the edges of the groves start to become hard to see, which usually is a season or two. If I were playing tournaments right now, I would have a set I practice with for the season, and a set I game with. Then the two sets usually last me two seasons

Yeah, you can’t look at what Rory and tiger say without looking at what jason said...the part of me that wants to buy new stuff all the time wants to believe I need to buy new wedges all the time, but I don’t think it is actually the case.  I’m a 6ish HCP, so not terrible, but far from great.  Spinny checking wedges are a strong suit but I still am not having any trouble with my glide 3.0’s that have probably 150 rounds on them.  I’m planning on using them through this season and replacing them next spring.  
To get back to video, I just agree more with Jason, perhaps because a new set of wedges are expensive.  Knowing how they respond is more important than getting that small extra bit of spin when you need it.  Not to mention that I’m trying to take spin off as often as I’m trying to really get one to stop on a dime.  I’ve considered switching out my 58 degree wedge earlier, as that is the club I try to hit most high spinning shots, but it really doesn’t seem necessary.

If I was rich and money was no object, then I might feel differently. A new set of wedges is a fairly big expenditure for me, and there are always a number of other things I will want even more.  I suppose, at the end of the day, that there are just other things that I also don’t need, but want even more than wedges.

• Like 3

Wedges to me have 3 phases. New, most spin, easy to add spin, lasts maybe 10-15 rounds. Broken in, slightly less spin but more consistent spin, lasts as long as you are good about keeping the grooves in good shape. Done, dramatically less spin, grooves beat up and surface finish gone. I usually replace my wedges when I feel them leaving the broken in phase, chips start rolling out a little more than expected. 

• Like 1

I have yet to buy any *new* wedges. I have always gotten hand me downs from family or friends, or from BST here or reddit. Even then I've only ever owned 4 or 5 total, so maybe I should change that...

Callaway Mavrik Driver

Callaway Diablo 5w

Srixon 4h 

PXG 0211 4-G

Vokey SM6 54*

Ping Glide 2.0 58*

Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

I try to change them around 100 rounds. I have a couple beater wedges that I use to practice with. 

• Like 1

WITB Thread

TSi3 9* / Ventus Black 7x

TSi2 16.5* / Ventus Black 8x

TSi2 21* / Ventus Red 9x

T100•s 4-9 / DG X7

SM8 46 / DG X7

SM8 50, 54, 58 / DG TI X1

Squareback 2 - One and Done - ER5

Well, when you consider how many balls Tiger hits with one wedge, mine should be good for 10-15 years.

I just got new ones to try but my old wedges were about 10 years old and still spun enough for me.

I don't think I will ever hit 1000+ balls in a day, so I change them when I feel like something different. Keep them clean and sharp.

• Like 1

Taylormade M3 driver Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi 70G shaft (cut to 44.5")

Taylormade M1 5 wood

Taylormade M4 19* Hybrid 

Taylormade GAPR Mid 21* Hybrid

KZG Forged 2-M cavity back 4-6 

KZG Forged Blade 7-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Lazrus 52/8 and 56/12 wedges

Tour "Percision" [sic] Milled TP-M5 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips

I try to not change wedges. The GW is dependent upon the iron set's PW so i'll ignore that one. My SW (56*) will wear out first and i change that every ~2 seasons. I'm currently using a SM6 and bought it when the SM7 came out. it probably wont last through this year

I will only change my 60* if absolutely necessary. It's one of my strongest clubs. Knowing how this club feels and responds in certain conditions is worth way more to me than keeping the spin up due to new grooves. I dont have time to practice as much as the pros. Changing to a new wedge means you have to learn how the new wedge responds to a whole list of scenarios. Once im comfortable with my 60*, it's the most reluctant club i'll change in the bag. Currently im using the SM5. I bought it when it was released. I've always felt that the newer wedges were slightly different in feel. I try and take care of it as much as possible. My SW looks way more beat up

Every 2-3 seasons, depends on how much I play honestly. If I'm 100+ rounds with some practice in there I think the wedges can be upgraded. My current setup is kind of a mixed bag so want something fully fitted. 

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping G410 - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - Kingdom Putter - SIK Pro Tour Proto - and more. 

3 hours ago, Saltydawg15 said:

I change my wedges every 18 months to 2 years and they are still in pretty good condition at that point.  One thing I do is practice with old wedges.  I do warmup with my gamer wedges and will practice with them on the course, but dedicated range time and short game area is old wedge territory.

I typically play them for 2 seasons... they still have some life at that point, but I need to look at something new

WITB

Driver: Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard

Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17º w/ Even Flow

Titleist 816 H1 21º w/ Diamana Blueboard

Irons (5-PW): Srixon 765 w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 120

Wedges: 48º Vokey SM6, 54º & 60º PXG 0311

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

I played my last set for 5 years. Replaced lob wedge once in that span. Probably will do the same with my new set of Glides. 

Edited by b.mattay

M5 9.0, Grafalloy White Blue 65X

M5 15.0, Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

(A) TSi2 21, Tensei AV Raw White 85TX, Set to C1 (B) DHY Proto 18, Diamana D+ 90X

i200 (4i), S56 (5-W), Project X 7.0, Red Dot 

Glide 3.0 (51.13SS, 55.13SS, 60.06TS), Project X 6.5 Blackout, Red Dot

Dual Force Rossie #1 (45", 79 lie-"FACE ON REVOLUTION" style)

Pro V1X

Ping Hoofer/Sun Mountain Pushcart

I've found a grind I really love, Vokey S grind and generally change when a new model comes out. No real performance difference, just like to change for change sake. 

Srixon z785 9.5'
Ping G410 2 Hybrid
Ping G 3 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 4 Iron
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged - 5-GW
Titleist SM8 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT 11S

I think having a time frame is misleading.  If you put in a lot of range time, you are going to wear yours out a lot faster than a guy who only plays rounds and makes a full swing with each wedge twice a round.  

Tiger and Rory get free golf equipment.  If Titleist gave me free vokeys I'd switch wedges each shot then sell the "used" wedges so I could retire.

I don't know about you guys but I want a wedge that hits and stops, not a wedge that hits and backs up 15 feet.  

I don't understand the pattern of using old wedges for practice, but new(er) wedges for actual gaming.

Seems that mitigates the usefulness of practice, because the ball will react much differently with worn wedges than fresh(er) ones. Whereas, using the same wedges for practice and gaming, albeit reducing their lifetime, means that you don't have to make adjustments between old/new(er).

And, of course, using the same wedges for practice/gaming allows buying new wedges more often!

Edited by HiTrajLoSpin
  • Like 1

Titleist TSi2 11° - Ventus Velo Red 5R

Titleist TS2 18° - Ventus Velo Red 6R

Titleist TS2 21° - Venus Velo Red 6R

Titleist 818H1 23° - AD HY 75R

Titleist 818H1 27° - AD HY 75R

TaylorMade 2020.P770 6-AW - NS Pro 850GH S (ss2x)

TaylorMade MG2 56.12, 60.08 - NS Pro 950GH R

Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5

Titleist ProV1

Rarely , but I started in the era where the standard on Tour was either a '58 Dynapower or an even older R-90 with the brown coated steel shaft.  Some of those didn't have much in the way of grooves at all.

Of course, the ball spun a lot more back then, but no one really paid any attention to grooves until the Eye 2 came along, unless someone happened to get caught using a wedge with non-conforming grooves.  

If I wanted to change really often, I think I would try to find a component head I liked and buy a stash of those heads, just swapping a new head onto the existing shaft when I felt the current head was too worn.     

I don’t think I’ve ever changed a wedge because it was worn out. If I love the wedge I’ll use it as long as it keeps performing. I change when I see something I want to try but honestly I don’t see a huge change in spin. I spin it a lot though so it’s not really something I’m searching for. 

SRIXON ZX5 9.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 60X.                                              SRIXON ZX 13.5 MIYAZAKI MIZORE 70X                                               SRIXON H85 16 MATRIX BLACKTIE 95 SRIXON Z FORGED 4-PW CATALYST 100 6.5                                   CLEVELAND RTX4 50* CATALYST 100 6.0                                        CLEVELAND RTX4 54* CATALYST 100 6.0                                         CLEVELAND RTX4 58* CATALYST 100 6.0.                                             SEEMORE mFGP20 PLATINUM 38” SNELL MTB-X

I had Ping gorge wedges for 8 or 9 years. Wore them out and replaced with the glide and 2 yrs later the glide 3.0. If I could find wedges i liked as much as the gorge I'd use them for another 10 years.

Cobra F8
Cobra F8 15.5*
Ping G25 20 & 23 hybrid G30 26 hybrid
Ping i200 6- uw
Ping Glide 3.0  54 & 60
Toulon Atlanta

Once COVID is past and I get back on a regular playing schedule, probably once every two years. Now, SW might get replaced annually since sand is  more abrasive on grooves than normal turf.

About the time COVID arrived and demo days vaporized, local golf shops started encouraging golfers to get wedge fittings. In-shop intro gives a clue, but I want off-the-turf final checkover before I buy.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind being tested as possible SW to replace MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Yeah, but I did not hear anything about what ball you practice with? I found hitting range balls on the practice area is different than on the course using a premium ball.

I change clubs  more to adapt better to my home course conditions, and keep some older wedges in case I am going to play a course with different criteria (firmness, grass type, etc.)...

I have a large set of wedges I've aquired over the years. Some of my more unique ones like my 64" 14* bounce I have used maybe on 30 shots over 10 years I've owned it still in excellent shape.  Where my 50/10* wedge I replace about 3x a year. My 62/4* I've used like 5 times in my life. That wedge is evil. I also buy mostly second hand redo groves myself, test out different grinds, etc. I have 50/10* I love got great custom grind on it. Used to have a 60* I loved. Left it on a course. Those are the only ones I've absolutely loved.

I practice the most with my 54 so once a year.  My 60 is closer to 1.5 to 2 years and my GW and PW just get changed when I get bored.  Everything is so expensive now so I try to stretch them a little further.

• Like 1

Titleist 917 D2 9.5 - Aldila Rogue Max X
TaylorMade '16 M2 3HL - AD DI 8X
Adams Pro black Hybrid 20, Voodoo X
Titleist 718 CB 4-9 DGTI X100 SS 
Cleveland RTX4 Black 46, 50, 54 DGTI S400

Titleist Vokey SM7M Black 59.07 S400
Ping Milled 0