How often do you change your wedges?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Probably a new set every season, but nothing to do with spin...I usually just want new wedges

Yeah, you can’t look at what Rory and tiger say without looking at what jason said...the part of me that wants to buy new stuff all the time wants to believe I need to buy new wedges all the time, but

I change it about 1/5th as often as MFGs wish I would. Keep 'em clean, use a good ball and you have consistency for *years*.       

I will change at the beginning of the season after I can no longer "check" wedge shots or get a good spin on a full shot. So for me, I had SM7s for 2.5 seasons, last season swimming really well, from a fairway lie, still couldn't get a full or 3/4 sand wedge to check, they always rolled out a few yards. 

So this season, new sand/lob wedge. And going to the set gap wedge to help bridge a bit easier. I'll see how long that lasts..

Ping G400LST VA Drago 65

Cobra F8+ 3W / 5W VA Slay 75

PXG Gen2 0317x 4H VA Slay 85

PXG Gen3 0311T 5-GW Oban CT 115

Titleist Vokey SM8 56/60 Oban CT 115

TaylorMade Spider X

-----------------------------------------

Alternates: PXG Gen2 0317x 3H VA Slay 85 and Gen3 0311T 4i Oban CT 115

On the way: Taylormade SIM2 10.5 VA Nemesys 65

If I like the wedges they'll be in the bag 3-4 years. Here in WI the ground is soft and not full of sand, the wedges don't get worn down all that fast. Even my 54, which I practice with quite a bit including bunker work, is in really good shape. I certainly played with them in 2019 and 2020, not sure if I had them for the 2018 season or not. Probably will upgrade for the 2022 season.

20 hours ago, XHoop24 said:

I've found a grind I really love, Vokey S grind and generally change when a new model comes out. No real performance difference, just like to change for change sake. 

It's funny you say that, I'm the same. I've got a 50F and 54S 58S. But in SM6's. I don't know what it is about the SM7 or 8, but they just don't quite feel the same. So I recently bought a spare 50, two spare 54's and a spare 58 in the SM6 😛

• Like 1

Depends.

I have played the same "gap wedge" now for 4 years.   I hit it yesterday with what I call my 3/4 slight cut into our clubs firm greens, hit and moved maybe 3 feet from it's pitch mark.  That is what it did pretty much when it was brand new, maybe there's a difference of 2 feet since new.  I do have a replacement 50* wedge on the way, but to be honest I am not precise as those PGA players and probably could play it another two or more years without much issue.

My SW and LW get changed at every two years or so depending upon wear.  I also change in season, Atlanta gets wet and soft in the winter and hard and somewhat dry in the summer.  Those are not conditions that require the same bounce setup, so sometime in October/November I change to higher bounce, and then go back to lower bounce in April/May.  Since I don't play all year with the same wedges they tend to last longer.

For reference I play on average 100 rounds a year and normally hits balls quite often as well.  In a normal years at least one range session, and more often two a week along with warmup before each round.

• Driver - Epic Max LS
  • 4 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • 7 Wood - Company that shall not be named, turned down 1* and open on a UST Mamaiya Black
  • Hybrid - Ping G400 17*
  • Irons = Srixon ZX4 4 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons = Srixon ZX5 5 iron on Recoil 110
  • Irons - Srixon ZX7 (6-PW) on Recoil 110
  • Wedges - Cleveland 50* mid Zipcore, MD5 54*, 60* Mid Zipcore all on Recoil 110
  • Putters -  Sunset Beach Ocracoke or Mannkrafted MA/66
  • Ball - TP5 or Srixon Z Star 

I usually change my wedges every year or two, depending on face wear.  80% of my range practice is with wedges and driver so they get used a lot.  The 56° seems to wear out fastest, followed by the 60, then 50.

I used to replace them all yearly as a matched set.  I have moved on to buying the best wedges for their specific tasks in my bag and currently play 3 different brands/models.  Once I find a wedge that works for me I don't like to change so I'm usually scouring eBay or discount club outlets for replacements until I finally have to get a newer version.

TaylorMade M5 10.5° /  Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec 7S Blue
Cobra King F9 Baffler Speedback 14.5° / Project X HZRDUS Smoke 70 S
TaylorMade  M3 3/19° Rescue/ Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 80H S
Callaway X Forged Utility 22(21)° /  Aerotech SteelFiber fc 90cw

Honma T//World Rose Proto MB 5-10 / N.S. Pro Modus3 120TX
Edison 51° Wedge / DG Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 56° Wedge / DG Tour Issue X100
Cobra KING MIM Black 60° Widelow Wedge / DG Tour Issue X100
L.A.B. BLāD.1
RZN HS-Tour

13 hours ago, @_the_crook said:

so, oil can Vokeys from 2011 might not be as playable as something newer ?

asking for a friend

They are more playable than ever!

I've never swapped out a wedge because it wasn't spinning as much as it used to... 

I'm fairly certain a groove sharpener will get it done for most of us here... or at least those of us who don't change wedges whenever we change our underwear. 

• Like 1

As of 1/24/21

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with RipX

13 Degree Adams Speedline with Aldila Alpha 

18 Degree Adams A12 with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5 iron Sub70 639 CB with S400

6-GW Adams CMB with Project X 6.0

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

• 3 weeks later...

In the past, every 2 seasons or so, which is probably about right for me. That's probably 100-120 rounds of golf, decent amount of practice, but typically not very sandy soil and no mats. Maybe a little more often if the face seems to be wearing.

I kept my last Miura SW for almost 5 seasons because was completely in love with the grind (replacement last year was delayed due to pandemic stuff), and that was way too long. Definitely not as much spin as I should have been getting on most shots. That wedge lasted a lot longer than others I have had recently, but realistically I should probably have pulled it after 3 years or so. 

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9*, Diamana BF 60
Titleist TS3 15*, EvenFlow White 75
Titleist TS2 HY 19*, EvenFlow White 90
Titleist 716 T-MB 3i PX 
Mizuno MP59 4-6 PX
Mizuno MP69 7-P PX
Miura New Wedge 51* PX
Joe Kwok 57* DG Tour Issue 115
Scotty Studio Select NP2 2008 33"

ProV1x

I rotate the replacement, 1 year it is the LW the next it is the SW but then my kids gets them so not really retired. 

TM SIM Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM SIM 19 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM GAPR Mid 4 iron 20 Fujikara Fuel
TM GAPR Mid 5 iron 23 Aldila RIP 
TM P790 6 Nippon Modus 3 130, Black 7-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
TM Milled Grind 2 Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
TM Hi-Toe Big Foot 58 Nippon Pro WV115
TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

In recent years my club-ho'ing has reached all the way down into my wedges so I end up trying new/different models every few months. But long-term, I've typically gotten two full years (about 250 rounds) out of a GW/SW/LW set of Vokeys. Honestly, by the middle of the second year the grooves are pretty shot but they seem to still work OK and they're darned expensive to replace. It is nice that first dozen rounds with fresh grooves though!

• Like 1

Like every club in my bag, I change them out NOT because of wear, but simply because I found something more interesting!

G400 LST 10*, Tensei CK White 60S

0317 Gen1 17* & 0317X Gen2 19*, MMT 80S

0311 Gen1 4-5 & 0311P Gen2 6-PW, SteelFiber 95S

RTX4 Raw 52* & 58*, Mid, TI S400; HiToe 64*, HiRev 2.0
SC Red X2

Tour B XS (normal cond.) / LD V1x (windy cond.)

- Testing: 0811X+ Proto; Orig One 11.5*; SuperHybrid 17*; 0311XF #3; 2021 TP5x, CS X Triple Track.

- Backups: EFSZ 9* & 15*; TS2 15*; ‘16 M1 3HL; F7 2-3H; 0211; TW-X; IC-601; 716 T-MB; Lucky 777CS; WHP 7CS & CSM 400g; Sigma G Kinloch C.

I have two sets of wedges, one for play one for practice.  The game wedges last about 3 years depending how often I play.  Practice wedges I just replace with game wedges... range balls and sandy grass ranges chew them up quickly 

Taylormade M3 9*  KBS TD Cat4

Taylormade M3 4HL Hzrdus Yellow 63g

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tours 3-PW Project X 6.0's

Cleveland RTX4 Raw 50/54/58 Project X 7.0's

Byron Morgan Stainless DH89 w/ Stability Tour / / Scotty Cameron Studio Design 2 

Bridgestone Tour B XS 

I generally don't changer that often as I just get used to the performance they give me and adjust accordingly.  This year I picked up 2 sets of 54/58 Cleveland RTX Zipcores to try and rotate them and see if makes a change in how I play with "fresher" grooves for longer.

I'm also not going to practice out of bunkers basically at all unless with just a old wedge, although I am quite comfortable in bunkers, so shouldn't be an issue at all.

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Hzrdus Black RDX 60 6.5

Titleist TS2 16.5* w/ Fuji Pro 2.0 7X

Titleist TS3 19* w/ Tensei Raw AV Blue X

Titleist 620 CB/MB 4-PW w/ Modus 120X

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 51/55/59 w/ TI S400s 

Odyssey Strokelab 2-Ball 33"

I'm probably playing 200+ rounds now, and I practice.  The 50* gap wedge will have some life span, but the 54* & 58* may get annual replacement.  I will probably keep the older wedges for practice sake.  I am new to being a snowbird and playing in Arizona.  The sand at my course in AZ is incredibly course and the desert is he!! on wedges.  Or I could just learn to hit greens-in-regulation and get a couple more years out of them!

Phred

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.