Ballard 

Art of Simple Golf 

Russel Heritage 

George G 

AMG

Scratch Golf Academy 

Plus anything I could find from Butch or Cowen or their academy instructors

Lots of good stuff by most. 

Top: Malaska (easiest path to good, effortless golf).  Note: also consistent w Cowen principles

• Like 1
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

100 % paddy Harrington. 

Paige Spiranac

In no particular order, with my comments as to what I like or dislike:   Shawn Clements: Entertaining personality but repetitive themes. Not sure I understand the squat down then jump up to

Posted Images

Scratch Golf Academy (Bazelgette) is OK.  Malaska is good.  Clement is entertaining, but I don't really agree with his philosophies.  AMG is gold.  I probably like Eric Cogorno best these days.  He goes into good detail, solid and more advanced concepts, and lots of guest instructors that keeps his videos from getting stale.  Also pretty prolific.

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, ThinkingPlus said:

Scratch Golf Academy (Bazelgette) is OK.  Malaska is good.  Clement is entertaining, but I don't really agree with his philosophies.  AMG is gold.  I probably like Eric Cogorno best these days.  He goes into good detail, solid and more advanced concepts, and lots of guest instructors that keeps his videos from getting stale.  Also pretty prolific.

I don't think I've ever managed to get through an entire EC video. My eyes just glaze over. 

For me, AMG nail the balance between technical knowledge and feels/drills. 

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

I don't think I've ever managed to get through an entire EC video. My eyes just glaze over. 

For me, AMG nail the balance between technical knowledge and feels/drills. 

EC can get a little repetitious, but I just set my tablet down, take a sip of coffee, and wait him out.  His guest videos are best. You get two explanations/viewpoints of the same technique.  Usually one or the other will resonate.  You get a little bit of that from AMG as well.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, miamistomp said:

Another vote for secret golf

Cannot stand Clement

all his comparisons to grass whips, hammers etc just cloud the issue- just swing the damn club

I can't say I like that part of his instruction but I have come to realize many people that are starting golf does not know what lag is and the grass cutter drill may help them in this regard.

I prefer a more mechanical approach to describing and creating lag, unfortunately I haven't found an instructor out there that does this adequately. Probably the closest I have seen is one of Manny De La Torres videos where he shows a student the takeaway sequence by putting his right hand on the club and stands by him and swings the club with the student turning the club as necessary into position on the takeaway. If he ever documented that methodology it would have been great I think.

Taylormade R7 - Big Bertha 2, 4, 7w - Acer XV 5i - Titleist DCI 990B 5i-PW, LW - Bionik 105

18 minutes ago, chipa said:

I can't say I like that part of his instruction but I have come to realize many people that are starting golf does not know what lag is and the grass cutter drill may help them in this regard.

I prefer a more mechanical approach to describing and creating lag, unfortunately I haven't found an instructor out there that does this adequately. Probably the closest I have seen is one of Manny De La Torres videos where he shows a student the takeaway sequence by putting his right hand on the club and stands by him and swings the club with the student turning the club as necessary into position on the takeaway. If he ever documented that methodology it would have been great I think.

The less golfers know about lag the better. There's zero reason for a golfer to know about it - it just becomes something they chase when it's nothing more than a result of swinging effectively.  I would love to remove every "Get more lag" video from YouTube and send those 'instructors' to Room 101.

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, miamistomp said:

One of the biggest problems in golf instruction is the fact that many of the people watching have no athletic experience and no concept of how their body works.

Most folks need lots of stretching and medicine ball exercises to get in touch with their body- then maybe they can try and swing a club

Ask @MonteScheinblum if he agrees with that...

40 minutes ago, miamistomp said:

One of the biggest problems in golf instruction is the fact that many of the people watching have no athletic experience and no concept of how their body works.

Most folks need lots of stretching and medicine ball exercises to get in touch with their body- then maybe they can try and swing a club

Many benefits in our favor by sensing in order to harness resistance.   Good point.

Untitled3jm.png.f6ffc717daacd33dacb8b81409e13104.pngUntitled4jm.png.0cb964eb6753129fbb75a5c644b4d2f4.png

I guess Shawn Clement had the foresight to be the OG of Youtube instruction although for me he's a little basic. I'm too much of a minge-bag to pay for his premium content although I'm sure it would help.

Russell Heritage is my go to man currently, a lock-down hero. Went above and beyond and deserves the recognition and a full lesson diary. He's currently just under one hundred thousand subscribers, which i'm told is a big deal in Youtube land.

Edited by Tom Kelly
maths

Not sure if he's been mentioned, but I find Chris Ryan's stuff easy to digest and implement.

• Like 2

[size=2]Callaway Mavrik 9*[/size]
[size=2]TM M6 Rocket[/size]
[size=2]Cobra 3h
[size=2]Mizuno 3-PW JPX 900 Tours[/size]
[size=2]Cleveland RTX 2.0 52*[/size]
[size=2]TM Milled Grind 56* and 60*[/size]
[size=2]Scotty Newport[/size]

22 hours ago, TheDeanAbides said:

The less golfers know about lag the better. There's zero reason for a golfer to know about it - it just becomes something they chase when it's nothing more than a result of swinging effectively.  I would love to remove every "Get more lag" video from YouTube and send those 'instructors' to Room 101.

I understand that's your opinion but the reality is many novice golfers can't feel lag because of improper mechanics thus have no concept about where to release the club. On the other hand golfers that learn how to feel lag, generally much better golfers, can eliminate worrying about the release for the most part. If lag weren't important to pro golfers they would all be playing XXXXX shafts with 1 deg. of torque, but no one does because then they can no longer feel the head nor the lag that is essential to the release.

Taylormade R7 - Big Bertha 2, 4, 7w - Acer XV 5i - Titleist DCI 990B 5i-PW, LW - Bionik 105

1 hour ago, chipa said:

I understand that's your opinion but the reality is many novice golfers can't feel lag because of improper mechanics thus have no concept about where to release the club. On the other hand golfers that learn how to feel lag, generally much better golfers, can eliminate worrying about the release for the most part. If lag weren't important to pro golfers they would all be playing XXXXX shafts with 1 deg. of torque, but no one does because then they can no longer feel the head nor the lag that is essential to the release.

Perhaps this is why you're a 15? I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but you'd be well served forgetting that word. I didn't say lag isn't important - it's a result. I don't know a single decent golfer who thinks "Man, I really have some lag going on here". If your ballflight is good because your mechanics are good lag just happens. 

The issue is that is becomes this holy grail that golfers chase like it'll fix their problems. I'd much rather see golfers try and throw lag away (and I mean that literally) like it's yesterday's newspaper than pursue it.

Chasing lag stops golfers releasing the club and produces an epidemic of handle draggers. 

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Perhaps this is why you're a 15? I'm sorry if that sounds harsh, but you'd be well served forgetting that word. I didn't say lag isn't important - it's a result. I don't know a single decent golfer who thinks "Man, I really have some lag going on here". If your ballflight is good because your mechanics are good lag just happens. 

The issue is that is becomes this holy grail that golfers chase like it'll fix their problems. I'd much rather see golfers try and throw lag away (and I mean that literally) like it's yesterday's newspaper than pursue it.

Chasing lag stops golfers releasing the club and produces an epidemic of handle draggers. 

Just because I'm a 15 doesn't mean I don't know a little about the golf swing. My highest recorded clubhead speed was 128 at 36 years of age and this morning I hit 108 with my 44" driver with a shortened swing in my house. I am also 55 years old and 5'6".

As far I understand clubhead speeds of over 100 mph are not attainable consistently without decent technique. Also, it should be pretty clear I'm not "handle dragging", plus I suffer from hooking as well.

I no longer worry about lag anymore when my technique is on. However, from what I can gather from other beginning players they never have gotten the right arm in the correct position in order to feel the sensation of lag so for them I think it is of utmost importance for their swing to be able to progress.

Edited by chipa

1 hour ago, chipa said:

Just because I'm a 15 doesn't mean I don't know a little about the golf swing. My highest recorded clubhead speed was 128 at 36 years of age and this morning I hit 108 with my 44" driver with a shortened swing in my house. I am also 55 years old and 5'6".

As far I understand clubhead speeds of over 100 mph are not attainable consistently without decent technique. Also, it should be pretty clear I'm not "handle dragging", plus I suffer from hooking as well.

I no longer worry about lag anymore when my technique is on. However, from what I can gather from other beginning players they never have gotten the right arm in the correct position in order to feel the sensation of lag so for them I think it is of utmost importance for their swing to be able to progress.

It's of utmost importance that they learn to release the club. It's utterly meaningless for them to try and attain lag. It's the chasing of it that stops them attaining it. 

I actually don't think we're saying different things, but learning how to lag it? Nope. 

I used to help an older guy at the range. Great fella, but so stuck. I got him uncluttered and he started to hit it pretty well and enjoy his golf. Next time I see him at the range he's topping and shanking, so I ask what he's trying to do. He saw a video on YouTube about creating lag by holding angles. 🤦🏻

I told him the same as you but he couldn't believe that he shouldn't be trying to lag it. He's still crap. 

11 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

It's of utmost importance that they learn to release the club. It's utterly meaningless for them to try and attain lag. It's the chasing of it that stops them attaining it. 

I actually don't think we're saying different things, but learning how to lag it? Nope. 

I used to help an older guy at the range. Great fella, but so stuck. I got him uncluttered and he started to hit it pretty well and enjoy his golf. Next time I see him at the range he's topping and shanking, so I ask what he's trying to do. He saw a video on YouTube about creating lag by holding angles. 🤦🏻

I told him the same as you but he couldn't believe that he shouldn't be trying to lag it. He's still crap. 

I see the issue now - you associate lag with "holding" angles whereas I see lag as a consequence of mechanics that have nothing to do with holding back anything.

• Like 1