Best hybrids of 2021: By club fitters for you!

The best hybrid for your game is going to be the one that gives you the greatest opportunity to both score and save shots during your round of golf.

In 2021, we have seen a continued expansion of hybrid options from every manufacturer with models designed to fit golfers of all skill levels and clubhead speeds to the point that some manufacturers offer models all the way down to 8-iron-replacement lofts. These hybrids all utilize new technology and manufacturing methods to launch golf balls higher, faster, and farther, while also offering forgiveness. It's now easier than ever to find the right one that matches your swing and fits into your set.

You have to think of your set of clubs like a toolbox with a 14-tool capacity. It's extremely important to make sure each and every tool has a defined role to make navigating around the course as stress-free as possible. Hybrids play an important part in that selection process.

That being said, ultimately the best way to find the best hybrid or hybrids for you is to work with a professional fitter using a launch monitor and gap them accordingly. The difficult part is a lot of people don’t have easy access to fitters, launch monitors, and club builders—so at GolfWRX, we have done a lot of the work for you.

Read the piece here.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, of all new fairway woods and hybrids, only the big 4 are represented between all of the lists?   is this the golf digest gold medal award......?   Odd, nothing else made it in

Also, keep in mind that a fitter has a limited amount of time with a customer and that a customer has a finite number of swings before fatigue affects them.  I expect that the vast majority of custome

Some rough comments here. Which I get.. But I am curious..    Be honest here, if you walked into a store to be fit. Whatever it was and they handed you a club outside of the major brands. Sa

2 minutes ago, DouglasKEdwards said:

This is a disappointing series.   Only big 4/5 clubs make the list for driver, fairway and hybrid? Feels more like the Hot List than any useful appraisal.

Yeah nothing new here..

• Like 1

Cobra SpeedZone 10,5° Tensei CK Orange 60X 48" / Ping G410 16°  KBS TD Category3 / Ping G410 Crossover 23° Hzrdus Smoke 90 6.0 / Ping iBlade 4-PW Modus3 105S / Ping Glide3.0 52/56° PingZ / Ping Glide Forged 60° DG TI S400 / Scotty Cameron Phantom X 12,5 33,5" Stability Tour Shaft / Bridgestone Tour B XS

In the podcast for the driver best of they did talk about other brand's clubs. With this series being based on what fitters have been working with, is it that disappointing or surprising that it's the bigger 4-5 brands that are picked? Especially in a year with, supply issues, less opportunity for in person fittings with lockdowns and such, and just the simple popularity and presence of the bigger brands.

Callaway Rogue 9* @ 10* Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75 6.0

Callaway Mavrik 4 Wood 16.5* Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70S

Callaway Rogue 4H 21* Project X EvenFlow Black 85 6.0

Callaway Mavrik Max 5-7i KBS Max 90 S

Callaway Mavrik Pro 8-AW True Temper Elevate 105 S

Callaway JAWS MD5 52.10S Dynamic Gold 115

Callaway JAWS MD5 56.10S Dynamic Gold 115

Callaway JAWS MD5 60.12W Dynamic Gold 115

Odyssey Stroke Lab Black #7

Bridgestone Tour B X/Titleist Pro V1x

GolfWRX: "Well, we asked fitters and this is what they said."

So...stop asking people who make money from products/brands/amount sold? Or at least vary it with some people who dont.

I understand everything has flaws, and so does 'the other sites' testing...but this is not better. It's turned into the same as any other listicle.

• Like 2

Epic Max LS + Pro 2.0 Tour Spec / TS2 3W + Diamana Thump75 / TS2 7W + Diamana B / GAPR Lo 4 + MMT UT 105  / Apex 19 Pro + Modus3 120 / MD5 / Toulon Las Vegas + SuperStroke Cord 2.0

43 minutes ago, rkillian said:

In the podcast for the driver best of they did talk about other brand's clubs. With this series being based on what fitters have been working with, is it that disappointing or surprising that it's the bigger 4-5 brands that are picked? Especially in a year with, supply issues, less opportunity for in person fittings with lockdowns and such, and just the simple popularity and presence of the bigger brands.

If you really want what works, what does popularity have to do with it?

2 minutes ago, Double Dodger said:

If you really want what works, what does popularity have to do with it?

Not much. But if a lot of clubs can work for someone than popularity and market presence would be a factor, no? 

Callaway Rogue 9* @ 10* Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75 6.0

Callaway Mavrik 4 Wood 16.5* Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70S

Callaway Rogue 4H 21* Project X EvenFlow Black 85 6.0

Callaway Mavrik Max 5-7i KBS Max 90 S

Callaway Mavrik Pro 8-AW True Temper Elevate 105 S

Callaway JAWS MD5 52.10S Dynamic Gold 115

Callaway JAWS MD5 56.10S Dynamic Gold 115

Callaway JAWS MD5 60.12W Dynamic Gold 115

Odyssey Stroke Lab Black #7

Bridgestone Tour B X/Titleist Pro V1x

I think this is a great series.  If you presume that the fitters are being honest - and I believe they are - I don’t think there is a better evaluation/guide out there.  These guys are experts in their field and are sharing there observations from hundreds (minimum) of fittings.  I don’t get the cynicism.

• Like 1

Also, keep in mind that a fitter has a limited amount of time with a customer and that a customer has a finite number of swings before fatigue affects them.  I expect that the vast majority of customers want to try the latest from the “big 4”, so I am not surprised that fitters will stick with those.  There is a limit to how many clubs someone can effectively try in a fitting.  Nothing nefarious.

• Like 3
On 3/19/2021 at 10:26 AM, rkillian said:

Not much. But if a lot of clubs can work for someone than popularity and market presence would be a factor, no? 

Well I will say that golf equipment is a lot like cars. People buy the same brand over and over believing it is the best “just because “. Brand loyalty is a strange thing to me. But to each his own....

Ok, from a club nut perspective as well as a constant tinkerer I can say 100% since 2015 I've been spent the $$$ to go through a trackman or Flightscope fitting EVERY YEAR for driver's and irons. Here's what I've bagged:

Driver's: Cally, Cally, TM, Ping, Titleist

Irons: Ping G400, 919 HM, PXG, T300, G425, Srixon Z whatever. 

I've used Golfworks, Granville Golfland Granville, OH, Club Champion, Truespec and Golf Room in Dublin, OH. So I'd say my fitters are mostly brand agnostic and with driver's I changed to pick up something (accuracy or distance) and most times asked for stock shaft offerings. BTW, I'd say I'm a better than average golfer but this is my only hobby and I love to tinker. The Big 5 are the Big 5 for a reason as they perform very well and are a pretty good value. 

• Like 2

Fitters afraid to think outside of box - staying safe.

I am still stuck in 2020.

SIM Max - not the greatest with turf contact but long with custom shaft.

TEE EXS 220 with a custom shaft

I think shaft selection makes or breaks a good hybrid.

If I wanted an OEM with good stock shafts without an upcharge, it would be Mizuno.

Edited by SwingMan

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Observer of Peeps

Primary Bag:

Callaway Epic Speed 9; Epic Max 9 ● Mizuno STZ 5 wd/Motore F3 6 ● SIM Max 4H/Accra FX 2.0 200 ● Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5-PW Accra ICWT95 ● Mizuno MP T20 50, 55, 59/Nippon Pro Modus 3 Wedge 125 ● Swag Savage Too.

On 3/19/2021 at 8:56 AM, MojoEd said:

Also, keep in mind that a fitter has a limited amount of time with a customer and that a customer has a finite number of swings before fatigue affects them.  I expect that the vast majority of customers want to try the latest from the “big 4”, so I am not surprised that fitters will stick with those.  There is a limit to how many clubs someone can effectively try in a fitting.  Nothing nefarious.

This is part of the issue with fittings for me.  If I go in and the fitter mostly has the big name gear in there, 4 or 5 options, I am going to feel like I may have missed out on something.  In a perfect world fitting, to me, the fitter should have a much more diverse selection of heads and shafts.  Not only that, but should know enough about each one so that I can find the most optimal fit for ME.  Having 4 or 5 options, where I am probably going to rule out at least 1 of them due to looks alone, isn't a real in depth fitting IMO.  It's just shortcuts for the fitter to say, "You fit best in THIS, out of the 4 things I have here."  That's leaving a lot on the table when there are more than just Ping, TM, Cally, and Titleist out there to choose from.  TEE has made some fantastic FW and hybrids, as well as Mizuno, Srixon, Cobra, Honma... I mean, there's a lot of meat on this bone.  Not to take away from the big guys but this is exactly why people ARE cynical when it comes to fittings.  It often feels like its JUST about sales, and while it may be, we don't want it to actually feel that way since we are trying to maximize performance.  Pushing these few brands makes it look like an advertisement, maybe it's just me.

Ping G410 LST 10.5* Aldila Rogue silver 70s

Ping G425 Max 14.5* Alta CB 65x

Ping G410 22* Tensei Blue 80s

Bridgestone J15 CB 4-P PX LZ 6.5

Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 52, 56, 60 AWT 

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne stealth

Some rough comments here. Which I get.. But I am curious.. 

Be honest here, if you walked into a store to be fit. Whatever it was and they handed you a club outside of the major brands. Said this is the best and tried to fit you for it. How likely are you to actually buy said club? Or are you going to say "Its not one of the major brands no thanks".. 

Fitters fit what people ask for to a large extent. Sure a good one will introduce something that may be a bit out of the norm but honestly, their job is to sell clubs. Most golfers what those brands. And guess what. they are the major brands because they make good stuff and have for a long time!!

I understand the want to have something outside of these come through as a dark horse. But you have to see that retailers and stores also cant carry everything. 

You have to also factor that most fitters are not going to have anything DTC (sub70, Hogan, PXG, etc) for you to try. so that cuts them out of the equation. Maybe a bit unfair but is a simple fact. 

• Like 3

Driver: Titleist TSi3 Ventus blue 6x

3 wood: Titleist Tsi2 15 Ventus blue 7x

& Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; LAB DF2.1
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

• 2 weeks later...

I think EVERYONE makes great gear, so it is a bit sad that no one says anything other than the marketing schtick from company x.  I also think that is because most fittings are drivers and irons, so we actually have fitters that have worked with more product. Anyway, to suggest that DJ and Rory find the SIM Max hybrid to be great goes beyond moronic. Neither one of them have played it more than once and they wont! It was a damn commercial for $&&$ sakes. Either learn whay the clubs do and for who or stop giving advice