Is it right to say one shaft is tipped more (tour ad hybrid shaft) - now wondering about the authenticity

I am sure the bottom one is factory tipped (21h) and that how titliest does. The upper one seems to be a bit strange as in fact the upper one is 23h. As long as I know, titleist tip 21 and 23 the same. So for the upper one, is the shaft less tipped? When i bought the upper one from the bay, I didn't think much about tipping but now I'm wondering...  20210319_112703.jpg.57484ac22dfccdd94cd4d2f29a2ffa37.jpg

Edited by sociojeje
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've done a lot of research on counterfeit AD DI hybrid shafts recently because I considered buying a few different ones on ebay. First off, the one with the longer ferrule has an aftermarket adapter.

Is the 21 degree longer overall than the 23 degree?  It does appear that the 21 degree has been tipped more.

Take a close up pic of the adapters.  The ferrule doesn't look right on the 23 degree in that picture.

Posted Images

Is the 21 degree longer overall than the 23 degree?  It does appear that the 21 degree has been tipped more.

• Like 1

Bag 1                                                                                        Bag 2

PING G400 Max 10.5° UST Attas 4U 6TS 44"                      PING G25 10.5° Graphite Design 2419S Prototype

Taylormade SLDR Mini 14° NV 2KXV Green 75X 42"            PING G25 3 Wood Aerotech Steelfiber ss75 S

Callaway 2015 Big Bertha 5 wood Attas 3 8X 41.5"             PING G25 5 Wood Aerotech Steelfiber ss85 S

Callaway Rogue 7 Wood Elements Wind 9X 41"                   PING G25 23° Hybrid KBS Tour V 110

Callaway Rogue 24° Hybrid Tour AD DI 95X                        PING G25 Irons 5-UW KBS Tour V 120

Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal 6-GW AMT Tour White s300    PING Glide 54° SS and 58° TS KBS 610 125

Mizuno T20 54° and 60° DG TI s400                                   PING Sigma Tyne H

Odyssey O-Works Red 7s

Take a close up pic of the adapters.  The ferrule doesn't look right on the 23 degree in that picture.

• Like 1

Bag 1                                                                                        Bag 2

PING G400 Max 10.5° UST Attas 4U 6TS 44"                      PING G25 10.5° Graphite Design 2419S Prototype

Taylormade SLDR Mini 14° NV 2KXV Green 75X 42"            PING G25 3 Wood Aerotech Steelfiber ss75 S

Callaway 2015 Big Bertha 5 wood Attas 3 8X 41.5"             PING G25 5 Wood Aerotech Steelfiber ss85 S

Callaway Rogue 7 Wood Elements Wind 9X 41"                   PING G25 23° Hybrid KBS Tour V 110

Callaway Rogue 24° Hybrid Tour AD DI 95X                        PING G25 Irons 5-UW KBS Tour V 120

Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal 6-GW AMT Tour White s300    PING Glide 54° SS and 58° TS KBS 610 125

Mizuno T20 54° and 60° DG TI s400                                   PING Sigma Tyne H

Odyssey O-Works Red 7s

20 minutes ago, drumdude96 said:

20210319_120750.jpg.a10528154ebf42fec975af49e8d10bc5.jpg

I think the adapters are also different. I think the upper one seems to be an aftermarket one. Hopefully the shaft isn't fake... I heard lots of stories about the fake shafts on ebay... 

the 23 one is actually 1/4 inch longer than the 21 one. 

Sounds like the 23 just hasn't been tipped properly then.  There may still be room to have it done properly if that is the case.  Obviously, the overall length of the 23 degree hybrid should be shorter than that of the 21 degree.  I think a qualified clubmaker could get you fixed up, no problem. 

• Like 1

Odyssey O-Works Red 7s

Just curious, but could you take a close-up side-by-side pic of the shaft graphics and post it?  Something kinda looks "off" with that too.  Try to show the colored rings in detail, but far away enough to show all of the graphics.  Maybe a close-up pic and another one a bit further away.

Edited by drumdude96
  • Like 1

Odyssey O-Works Red 7s

9 minutes ago, drumdude96 said:

Just curious, but could you take a close-up side-by-side pic of the shaft graphics and post it?  Something kinda looks "off" with that too.  Try to show the colored rings in detail, but far away enough to show all of the graphics.  Maybe a close-up pic and another one a bit further away.

The right one must be authentic and the left one is one I just got. 

20210319_125343.jpg.d0819a740aad39726a362363b3f34f56.jpg

20210319_125528.jpg

31 minutes ago, sociojeje said:

The right one must be authentic and the left one is one I just got. 

20210319_125343.jpg.d0819a740aad39726a362363b3f34f56.jpg

20210319_125528.jpg

I think there is a good chance the shaft on the left is a counterfeit.  I have 2 AD DI 95 hybrid shafts (special ordered from Callaway), and they are bang-on identical.  Notice the very faint silver rings on the shaft on the right?  The shaft on the left doesn't appear to have those, and the rings overall don't look right, either.  I think you got duped, I'm sorry to say.  Report it to ebay, and you should get your money back.  Hell, they may even let you keep the shaft, but why the hell would you want a fake AD DI?  I bought some counterfeit Golf Pride grips a few years back and got a full refund and ebay told me to just keep the grips.  There is definitely something not right about the shaft you just got, and I wouldn't trust that it's authentic.  Just make sure when you initiate the return through ebay (if you choose to do so) that you select "Item doesn't seem to be authentic" or however it's worded as the reason.  Ebay doesn't take too kindly to counterfeit crap being sold on their site, so they should get you fixed up.  The lack of tip trimming is definitely the least of your worries in this case.  I could be wrong, too.  Maybe some other members could chime in here.  I just don't think there should be ANY difference in those rings like the ones that are clearly visible in the pic you posted.

Edited by drumdude96

Odyssey O-Works Red 7s

7 minutes ago, drumdude96 said:

I think there is a good chance the shaft on the left is a counterfeit.  I have 2 AD DI 95 hybrid shafts (special ordered from Callaway), and they are bang-on identical.  Notice the very faint silver rings on the shaft on the right?  The shaft on the left doesn't appear to have those, and the rings overall don't look right, either.  I think you got duped, I'm sorry to say.  Report it to ebay, and you should get your money back.  Hell, they may even let you keep the shaft, but why the hell would you want a fake AD DI?  I bought some counterfeit Golf Pride grips a few years back and got a full refund and ebay told me to just keep the grips.  There is definitely something not right about the shaft you just got, and I wouldn't trust that it's authentic.  Just make sure when you initiate the return through ebay (if you choose to do so) that you select "Item doesn't seem to be authentic" or however it's worded as the reason.  Ebay doesn't take too kindly to counterfeit crap being sold on their site, so they should get you fixed up.  The lack of tip trimming is definitely the least of your worries in this case.  I could be wrong, too.  Maybe some other members could chime in here.  I just don't think there should be ANY difference in those rings like the ones that are clearly visible in the pic you posted.

Thanks for your opinion. I should wait and see how others would think. I actually already asked for return to the seller (not the reason for authenticity but the tipping) and the seller declined return. I will bring it to the pro and hear his opinion. Still would like to hear from others too. 

Just now, sociojeje said:

Thanks for your opinion. I should wait and see how others would think. I actually already asked for return to the seller (not the reason for authenticity but the tipping) and the seller declined return. I will bring it to the pro and hear his opinion. Still would like to hear from others too. 

Ebay will let you return it, seller be damned.  If you didn't get what you thought you were getting, screw him.  He doesn't get to decide whether or not you can return it, ebay has a money back guarantee.  He can either cooperate, or let ebay bend him over.  Either way, you CAN return it for a full refund.  I'd say he declined the return because he knows it's a fake in the first place.  And on top of that is the shoddy workmanship.  Go through ebay and stick it to that SOB.

Odyssey O-Works Red 7s

• sociojeje changed the title to Is it right to say one shaft is tipped more (tour ad hybrid shaft) - now wondering about the authenticity

I've done a lot of research on counterfeit AD DI hybrid shafts recently because I considered buying a few different ones on ebay. First off, the one with the longer ferrule has an aftermarket adapter. Nothing wrong with that...it looks like one of the good ones. One definitely has less tipping than the other, so it will certainly play soft to flex. As for it being counterfeit, it's a very good one if it is. Everything is there that you look for in a real one, including the aforementioned silver rings...they just don't stand out as much. I've seen photos from dealers of DI hybrid shafts when they first came out and there are tiny variances compared to more recent ones (not considering the new design) and slightly thinner silver rings wouldn't be an automatic indicator of a counterfeit to me. The fakes usually have issues with the font of the orange text being off and/or the Graphite Design text being gray instead of white. Pull the grip and send photos to Graphite Design to find out for sure. They match up too well to assume one is a fake.

• Like 2

Mizuno ST190 9.5* w/Diamana ZF
Titleist 917 F2 18* w/Tensei Pro Blue
Titleist 818 H1 21* w/Tensei Pro Blue
Mizuno MP-18 Fli-Hi 4 w/C-Taper Lite
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 5-P w/C-Taper Lite
Mizuno s18 50*, 54*, 58* w/C-Taper Lite
Ping Sigma G Tess

27 minutes ago, tilasan1 said:

Just an FYI because I just purchased a tour ad di 95 off CPO and wanted to know how much it is tipped. For the Tour AD DI hybrid shaft it will measure 21 5/16" to the first ring.

from the tip of the shaft to the first green ring, it measures 22 inch (the one not from the factory). the factory one is 20.75 inch to the first ring. So the shaft isn't even tipped at all? 

7 minutes ago, UTvols83 said:

I've done a lot of research on counterfeit AD DI hybrid shafts recently because I considered buying a few different ones on ebay. First off, the one with the longer ferrule has an aftermarket adapter. Nothing wrong with that...it looks like one of the good ones. One definitely has less tipping than the other, so it will certainly play soft to flex. As for it being counterfeit, it's a very good one if it is. Everything is there that you look for in a real one, including the aforementioned silver rings...they just don't stand out as much. I've seen photos from dealers of DI hybrid shafts when they first came out and there are tiny variances compared to more recent ones (not considering the new design) and slightly thinner silver rings wouldn't be an automatic indicator of a counterfeit to me. The fakes usually have issues with the font of the orange text being off and/or the Graphite Design text being gray instead of white. Pull the grip and send photos to Graphite Design to find out for sure. They match up too well to assume one is a fake.

I think I should do. Once it is tipped, it would be too short to play for 23 hybrid then... Ah.. I won't buy anything used from ebay anymore.... 

10 minutes ago, UTvols83 said:

Assuming those are legit, and nothing screams out that they aren't .. That little bit of difference is not goi g to be noticeable by 99% of golfers 

Edited by Russ757
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, UTvols83 said:

Mine are definitely newer, having come in a couple special order Rogue hybrids from Callaway.  Maybe the one the OP just got is a bit older and therefore has some variance in the rings. The text does look right.  OP, cut that grip off and carefully remove the grip tape.  There should be a holographic sticker on the shaft that will tell us if that thing is legit or not.  You need a utility knife with a hook blade so as not to cut into the shaft itself.  

• Like 1

Odyssey O-Works Red 7s

4 minutes ago, sociojeje said:

from the tip of the shaft to the first green ring, it measures 22 inch (the one not from the factory). the factory one is 20.75 inch to the first ring. So the shaft isn't even tipped at all? 

I think I should do. Once it is tipped, it would be too short to play for 23 hybrid then... Ah.. I won't buy anything used from ebay anymore.... 

Didn't you say the 23 hybrid is actually longer right now than the 21 degree?  If that is the case, there may still be room to tip it and have it play at the proper length.

• Like 1

Odyssey O-Works Red 7s

6 minutes ago, BlueDragonKorea said:

Yeah, as others have said, it looks pretty spot on if it’s a fake. All the graphics look good to me.

So it does have the hologram sticker at the end of the grip. So I assume it is indeed legit. That at least relieves one worry. 

6 minutes ago, drumdude96 said:

Didn't you say the 23 hybrid is actually longer right now than the 21 degree?  If that is the case, there may still be room to tip it and have it play at the proper length.

Yes it is 1/4 inch longer but tipped 1.25 inch less.. This again baffles me. I thought Titleist only tips an inch. Well, I may just sell this to someone it may fit and get another for my spec... 

20210319_142630.jpg

1 minute ago, sociojeje said:

So it does have the hologram sticker at the end of the grip. So I assume it is indeed legit. That at least relieves one worry. 

Yes it is 1/4 inch longer but tipped 1.25 inch less.. This again baffles me. I thought Titleist only tips an inch. Well, I may just sell this to someone it may fit and get another for my spec... 

20210319_142630.jpg

Can you get us a good pic of the sticker itself, face on?  The Chinese even counterfeit the damn stickers, believe it or not.  Also, what model are your hybrids?

Odyssey O-Works Red 7s

As an aside, if we determine that shaft to be authentic, and there is enough meat on it to get it tipped properly and to the correct length, I am willing to do the work to fix it for you for free, since I freaked you out about the authenticity of the shaft.  You just pay shipping both ways and I will hook you up.  You can always have an extension installed in the butt end to get the length right if it comes out too short after being tipped properly, as well.  This is assuming you live in the contiguous US, of course.  If not, the shipping costs wouldn't be worth it to you, I'm sure.

Edited by drumdude96

Odyssey O-Works Red 7s

Posted (edited)

As an aside, if we determine that shaft to be authentic, and there is enough meat on it to get it tipped properly and to the correct length, I am willing to do the work to fix it for you for free, since I freaked you out about the authenticity of the shaft.  You pay just shipping both ways and I will hook you up.  You can always have an extension installed in the butt end to get the length right if it comes us too short after being tipped properly, as well.  This is assuming you live in the contiguous US, of course.  If not, the shipping costs wouldn't be worth it to you, I'm sure.

Oh man, thank you very much for your kindness. I will definitely consider after trying it to see how it feels. It was an old grip after all and planned to replace it anyway 🙂  The hologram pic is attached. It does have some depth in it from different angles and I would be freaked out if the sticker is indeed fake. Oh my hybrid is 818 h1 btw. 

20210319_143621.jpg

Edited by sociojeje

Oh man, thank you very much for your kindness. I will definitely consider after trying it to see how it feels. It was an old grip after all and planned to replace it anyway 🙂  The hologram pic is attached. It does have some depth in it from different angles and I would be freaked out if the sticker is indeed fake. Oh my hybrid is 818 h1 btw. 

20210319_143621.jpg

That sticker looks right.  I think you are in the clear and that shaft is authentic.  Sorry to freak you out!  So the 23 degree should play 1/2" shorter than the 21 degree if at factory specs.  After pulling a shaft from one of my Titleist hybrid adapters, I have found that the insertion depth is 1 1/4", and the overall length of the adapter (without the ferrule) is 1 3/4".  So, if we subtract that 1/2" difference from your measurements we see that the 21 degree has been tipped 1 1/16", which is basically where it should be, other than that extra 1/16", but that's really nothing to worry about at all.  If we take that same 1/2" off of the 23 degree, we are left with 21 1/2", which is somehow 3/16" longer than the tip to first ring measurement, but I'm going to assume your measurement is a bit off.  Either that, or there could be a tip weight in there.  So we know for sure that the shaft is 100% untipped.  If we pull the shaft and tip it the recommended 1", the overall club length should be 39 1/4", which is only 1/4" short of factory standard length.  The 23 should be 40 1/4" right now since you said it is about 1/4" longer than the 21 degree.  So really, getting it to 39 1/4" after proper tipping doesn't seem too bad to me.  You probably won't really even notice that 1/4".  But like I said, you could always put a short extension in it to make it play to factory length.  All is not lost! LOL.

• Like 1

Odyssey O-Works Red 7s

That sticker looks right.  I think you are in the clear and that shaft is authentic.  Sorry to freak you out!  So the 23 degree should play 1/2" shorter than the 21 degree if at factory specs.  After pulling a shaft from one of my Titleist hybrid adapters, I have found that the insertion depth is 1 1/4", and the overall length of the adapter (without the ferrule) is 1 3/4".  So, if we subtract that 1/2" difference from your measurements we see that the 21 degree has been tipped 1 1/16", which is basically where it should be, other than that extra 1/16", but that's really nothing to worry about at all.  If we take that same 1/2" off of the 23 degree, we are left with 21 1/2", which is somehow 3/16" longer than the tip to first ring measurement, but I'm going to assume your measurement is a bit off.  Either that, or there could be a tip weight in there.  So we know for sure that the shaft is 100% untipped.  If we pull the shaft and tip it the recommended 1", the overall club length should be 39 1/4", which is only 1/4" short of factory standard length.  The 23 should be 40 1/4" right now since you said it is about 1/4" longer than the 21 degree.  So really, getting it to 39 1/4" after proper tipping doesn't seem too bad to me.  You probably won't really even notice that 1/4".  But like I said, you could always put a short extension in it to make it play to factory length.  All is not lost! LOL.

Thank you so much for your help! Suddenly the sun is out here in NC and I'm off to a driving range to see how I feel!! I'm sure 1/4 inch different won't make much difference and I can certainly adjust! so I guess an inch tipping should be the way to go unless I go through another hassle of selling and buying. 

Thank you so much for your help! Suddenly the sun is out here in NC and I'm off to a driving range to see how I feel!! I'm sure 1/4 inch different won't make much difference and I can certainly adjust! so I guess an inch tipping should be the way to go unless I go through another hassle of selling and buying. 

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is that you could always swap those shafts around and play the tipped one in the 23 degree and the untipped one in the 21 degree.  Just food for thought.  Whatever you decide to do, my offer still stands to do the work for you on the house.  I have a fully equipped shop with all the necessary tools, the proper Titleist ferrules, and shaft extensions. 

• Like 1

Odyssey O-Works Red 7s

5 minutes ago, tilasan1 said:

The measurements from the ring to tip means the tip of the raw shaft not with the adapter on.

We know that, hence me subtracting 1/2" from his measurements.  Adapter without ferrule = 1 3/4".  Insertion depth = 1 1/4".  That means the adapter adds 1/2" to the measurement.  I was a machinist for about 15 years, so I'm pretty good at math and measuring things, like down to the .0001".

Edited by drumdude96
  • Like 1

Odyssey O-Works Red 7s

4 minutes ago, drumdude96 said:

We know that, hence me subtracting 1/2" from his measurements.  Adapter without ferrule = 1 3/4".  Insertion depth = 1 1/4".  That means the adapter adds 1/2" to the measurement.  I was a machinist for about 15 years, so I'm pretty good at math and measuring things, like down to the .0001".

I was letting the op know since he was talking about measurements he made. Next time I will be sure to quote him.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, drumdude96 said:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread is that you could always swap those shafts around and play the tipped one in the 23 degree and the untipped one in the 21 degree.  Just food for thought.  Whatever you decide to do, my offer still stands to do the work for you on the house.  I have a fully equipped shop with all the necessary tools, the proper Titleist ferrules, and shaft extensions. 

Now I am being very creative. Perhaps, this is the time to move on to a driving iron with the di 85?? 🙂 The driving range session was very good and I hit the ball very well with the shaft. But something in me telling me to be a Wrxer... If I decide to tip it, I will definitely let you know as I don't know any shops around here (moved in roughly two years ago but then COVID hit me and didn't have a chance to visit local pros).