Original SIM Better Than SIM2?

I had a SIM 8* driver on and off last season. I really liked it, actually when I was on it was great. Cracked it not too long ago so contacted TM and they sent me out a new SIM 2 8*. It was probably two months for it to get here, TM said the 8* was on back order. In the mean time I tried the SIM 2 at my local shop and hated it. Now I’ve got this SIM 2 that just arrived yesterday and I’m debating if I should even unwrap it or just sell it so I can buy another SIM.

Anyone else have experience with both and find the original SIM to be a better driver?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is GolfWRX keep the SIM2 and get a used SIM OG

I game the OG SIM and have hit the SIM2. I dont know if I’d say either one is better, but rather if its a good fit or not. I found SIM2 to be neutral, where as OG is fade biased. If you fight over dra

I got my custom SIM2 today and am completely underwhelmed. The OG SIM blows the new one out of the water. I wasted a lot of money. 

20 minutes ago, Taylormadehunter1 said:

I had a SIM 8* driver on and off last season. I really liked it, actually when I was on it was great. Cracked it not too long ago so contacted TM and they sent me out a new SIM 2 8*. It was probably two months for it to get here, TM said the 8* was on back order. In the mean time I tried the SIM 2 at my local shop and hated it. Now I’ve got this SIM 2 that just arrived yesterday and I’m debating if I should even unwrap it or just sell it so I can buy another SIM.

Anyone else have experience with both and find the original SIM to be a better driver?

I game the OG SIM and have hit the SIM2. I dont know if I’d say either one is better, but rather if its a good fit or not. I found SIM2 to be neutral, where as OG is fade biased. If you fight over draws and hooks, the OG is where its at! If you dont fight left as much and you like a little deeper face, then SIM2 may be a better fit. Just my 2 cents. I do think the OG is slightly less spinning as well, but maybe by 100-200 rpms.

• Like 4
51 minutes ago, Taylormadehunter1 said:

I went for a fitting a week or so ago. Sim2 good not beat my sim1. Thought sim1 felt better too 

47 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

I game the OG SIM and have hit the SIM2. I dont know if I’d say either one is better, but rather if its a good fit or not. I found SIM2 to be neutral, where as OG is fade biased. If you fight over draws and hooks, the OG is where its at! If you dont fight left as much and you like a little deeper face, then SIM2 may be a better fit. Just my 2 cents. I do think the OG is slightly less spinning as well, but maybe by 100-200 rpms.

I think that is a great point, I do fight the hooks and found that the OG is more Fade biased which really does help me keep it in play. I also like to have that slider on the sole. Not sure why they did away with that in the new one. 

• Like 1

I just got the SIM2 and it's better to me. Feels better, a tad more forgiving and still hits bombs. Funny I was making fun of the colors a few months ago and here I am rocking one. Lol.

Dr. SIM 9° w/ Atmos black 6x

3 and 5 woods. SIM w/ old D+ 82x

Ui. X forged ut w/ project x 6.5

5 to pw. '14 TP MB w/ project x 6.5

Gw, sw. T20 w/ project x 6.5

Lw. Milled grind w/ dg s200

Putter. Odyssey OG 7s, 33 inches

Ball. Taylormade TP5x

There's no difference between the 2 performance wise.  It just really a matter of looks and feel and that is something only you can answer.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

SIM2 for sure sits more neutral, I found the SIM to be a fade machine, and for looks I'd take the orignal SIM. Performance was identical all things considered between the two for me.

D - Epic Speed | Ventus Blue 6X

3W - TSi3 | Tensei Raw Blue 7TX

3H - Apex Pro | AD DI 8X

4-PW - X Forged CB | DG TI X100

50 - SM8.12 F | DG TI S400

55 - SM8.10 S | DG TI S400

60 - SM8.08 M | DG TI S400

P - Phantom X 5.5/White Hot OG 7/Special Select NP2

B - ProV1x

B - Hoofer

14 hours ago, BogeyLJA said:

I love my OG SIM over the new one. The new fairways seem better for me, better laugh. 

I'd never thought to evaluate fairway woods on their sense of humor, interesting....

• Haha 2

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX || Taylormade SIM 9* Diamana X'17 70X
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage XD 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti Tour Issue 16* HZRDUS T1100 95g
Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro White 90TX || Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 19* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Project X PXi 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

The OG SIM has a slightly more fade basis compared to SIM2. And the SIM2 also launches a touch higher with slightly more spins. Ball speed wise should be identical.

Driver: Taylormade SIM, 8 degrees (set to 6.5), Fujikura Motore Speeder 661 X-Stiff

3W: Taylormade M5 14 degrees (set to 12.5), VA Composite Drago 75 X-Stiff

Hybrids: Titleist 915H (3-5H), Ping G30 (6H)Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Irons: Titleist 710 AP1 (7-P), Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Wedges: Bridgestone J33 (50,56,60), Project X 6.0 Flighted shafts

Putter: Directed Force 2.1 Putter

Ball: Titleist Velocity

I would have to say that it is a bit more forgiving and it bombs it out there easily as I'm please with mine. Nearly all last summer I gamed the original SIM and Loved it and Im every bit as pleased with the new SIM 2. It's still a bit early and the ground is still very soft so no roll but I carry the ball 254 not too shabby for someone who is 65. I like the new shape and color. Kinda wish it had some sole adjustments but no complaint here as I feel like its an improvement over last years original SIM

On 3/20/2021 at 4:04 PM, Taylormadehunter1 said:

Great comparison, numbers are close, but all about which head gives you more confidence.

Love my OG and don't see it leaving anytime soon.

SIM 10.5* Tour AD MDQ 7X

M5 3W ilima 80X

R15 7W BB 93X

U510 4 MMT 105TX

T100s 5-GW MMT 105TX

SM6 56/60 S400

Odyssey Black 1W

VICE Pro Drip

I loved the OG SIM.  But I fight a fade.  I had 13g weight in heel and it worked great.  SIM2 is more neutral and I'm enjoying a slight fade.  I do think SIM2 is more forgiving. I personally did enjoy the firmer impact feel of the OG a bit more, but the SIM2 does feel very solid at impact.  

TaylorMade SIM2 10.5*, Ventus Black 6X 
TaylorMade SIM2 3W 15*, Ventus Blue 7X
TaylorMade SIM2 3H 19.5*, Ventus Blue 9X

TaylorMade P770 4-5, P7MC 6-PW, DG TI X100
TaylorMade MG2 50, 54, 58, DG TI S400

TaylorMade Spider X

On 3/20/2021 at 5:04 PM, Taylormadehunter1 said:

there’s no “absolute” difference between the sim and sim 2.  There’s no ball speed difference, there’s no real anything difference.  It’s just what works best for you.

On 3/20/2021 at 5:17 PM, Taylormadehunter1 said:

I think that is a great point, I do fight the hooks and found that the OG is more Fade biased which really does help me keep it in play. I also like to have that slider on the sole. Not sure why they did away with that in the new one. 

As someone who had their OG sim crack on the slider track like many others, I am guess that it was an area of weakness in the OG and prone to issues. It probably made sense, to get rid of it just for the financial impact if they are getting a ton of warranty claims

For me it is.  Sim 1 swings “smaller “. Sim 2 is more like the og m1.  More mailbox Shaped.  And it’s draw biased.  Hard to hit a fade. It wanted to go left.  I’d put m5-m6 above sim 2 as well.  

Edited by bladehunter

Titleist tsi2 10* Mitsubishi TB 70x 

Titleist ts2 16.5 * Tensei CK pro Blue 80TX

Cobra F9  7 wood 22.5 blue board 80TX 

Titleist T100 4-pw  

Vokey sm7 50*54*58*v grind

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

i was getting slightly better ballspeed and lower spin, and better dispersion with the Sim2 than the Sim OG -- that being said, it was not DRASTIC. 

the fact that the head is more neutral did me in and i was able to hit a tiny draw again. since gaming the Sim2 it's night/day on course for me bc i can move it both ways. it's a bit more forgiving IMO than the OG; and spin is what i would consider true backspin and less side spin. again, this is not drastic over the OG, but enough that im' hitting more fairways and that is what got me to switch for good.

HOWEVER...as for the fairways -- i was not sold on the new Ti 3w vs the OG...so, i went with the OG. i don't need a driver replacement; just something that puts me in the fairway when i need it on short par 4s. 

the new hybrid has my attention but, i'm having a hard time parting ways with my Sim max OG 3h...she's a beast. 

SiM2 9* (set 1 tick higher loft) / Tensei AV White RAW prototype 2.0 65TX tipped 1" playing 45"

SiM / Rocket 3w (set 1 tick higher loft) / Diamana TB 70TX tipped 1.0"

SiM Max 3H / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX

Apex MB Chrome / 3-PW / Modus 130 X

RTX Zipcore Black / 54, 60 / KBS Tour S+

Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

In my opinion The SIM was better for me.. I dont think that is the case for everyone. They are different and do different things. The SIM2 is way more forgiving and neutral. It also has a much deeper face that many prefer. I found the SIM to be faster, the SIM2 launches higher and spins a little more.

So while they share a name and similar construction. They are pretty different drivers by their DNA.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 Ventus blue 6x

3 wood: Titleist Tsi2 15 Ventus blue 7x

& Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; LAB DF2.1
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

I have been gaming the SIM since it was released.  Great driver for me, I do have a heavier rear weight installed to get to my preferred SW since I play drivers @ 45" with a 61g grip. I am sure the weight in the rear helps with MOI on the SIM.  I purchased a SIM2 same loft and face angle and lie angle.  Installed my go to shaft Ventus in the SIM2, but since weights are not available,  J13 melted the SIM2 head to get it to my 203g weight, melt was done neutral.  The first couple rounds with the SIM2 in same "1 lower" setting it was launching lower and spinning less than my SIM.  The slightly taller face and sound and feel of the SIM2 I liked from the start, just on course results were not anything better than my SIM.   In my situation I had to tinker some more with the setup.  I played my last two rounds with the SIM2 back in "STD" setting and man did it come alive.   Launch and spin were up and the thing I like about the SIM2,  it is not as "right" bias as my old SIM.   I have no left/hook bias,  but just enough where my slight draw is easier to hit when needed.   I was thinking about selling the SIM2 head bc it was not a instant wow, but with a few rounds under the belt it is truly looking to be a better driver for me.    Guess I will have to give someone on BST a deal on my SIM head.   😎

• SIM2  10.5 - Ventus Black 6X 
  • SIM Ti 5W -  Ventus Blue 8X
  • P790 3I - ADDI 95X
  • P7MC 4-PW - TI X100
  • MG2  52 & 58 - TI S400
  • Spider X 
  • TP5
On 3/20/2021 at 2:04 PM, Taylormadehunter1 said:

I have both and for the time being I'm going to game the SIM 2.  The only difference is that the SIM is 9 degrees and the SIM 2 is 8.  SIM 2 spins a little less and launches about 2 degrees lower on average.  I find the SIM 2 to be more forgiving as well.  I will keep the OG SIM as my back up.  Both are great performers for me and I don't prefer one over the other, although I find the SIM to be a bit more workable.  Personally if I were in your situation, I would just sell the SIM 2 and get an OG SIM and pocket the extra cash. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/TB 80x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

So being a constant club ho I now have both a Sim and Sim 2 in 8*. I’m going to take them both out and give them a real test and see how it plays out on the course. Figure that is the best way to judge what works best for my game. Don’t need a driving range  or launch monitor hero, I need something that keeps my flight down and the ball in the fairway.