Original SIM Better Than SIM2?

Borrowed the SIM2 Head from my friend last week and I found the the SIM2 to be more draw biased than the OG-SIM?

Would definitely not recommend to swap from the OG-SIM if you are properly dialled in

• Like 2

TaylorMade SIM 9.0*, Oban Kiyoshi Black 65 X

TaylorMade 300 Mini Driver 11.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Black 75 X

TaylorMade SIM DHY 3, SteelFiber i95 Stiff

TaylorMade P770 4-6, Dynamic Gold 105 VSS Stiff

TaylorMade P7MC 7-PW, Dynamic Gold 105 VSS Stiff

TaylorMade MG2 50, [email protected], 60, Dynamic Gold Wedge 

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback 2

16 minutes ago, Nevek said:

Borrowed the SIM2 Head from my friend last week and I found the the SIM2 to be more draw biased than the OG-SIM?

Would definitely not recommend to swap from the OG-SIM if you are properly dialled in

A lot of folks who've hit both say that sim2 is closer to neutral than sim. One thing to note is that sim2 CoG is much further back than sim. By the book, this should increase shaft deflection which causes the face to be more closed at impact. 

• Like 3

So I was in the same situation as the OP- Had a Sim OG cracked on the weight track got sent a Sim 2.

I noticed 3 big differences

1. Feel/ sound- Sim OG felt way more solid and makes more of a solid thud. Sim 2 feels super soft and more hollow. It's funny, I have only had a few rounds with the SIM 2 and it reminds me of when I first got my Sim and I couldn't really tell when I hit it in the center. I'll hit one that feels like I mishit it but the ball just takes off and I see a mark in the center of the face.

2. Forgiveness- Way more forgiving. I notice my mishits fly much better and go further. I had never really thought he Sim OG was unforgiving until I hit the Sim 2

3. Weight- Sim 2 head feels much lighter and initially threw off my rhythm. It's getting better but still feels light

Overall, I really like the sound and feel of my OG SIM, however I think performance wise the Sim 2 performs better for me. I do miss the fade bias of the OG Sim. Nice to have a little protection against the hook. I did notice the Sim 2 spun more, but I am finding that actually helps. With the OG Sim I would have some drives that seemed to fall out of the sky but with the Sim 2 my drives launch high and just seem to carry forever.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Flip4000 said:

So I was in the same situation as the OP- Had a Sim OG cracked on the weight track got sent a Sim 2.

I noticed 3 big differences

1. Feel/ sound- Sim OG felt way more solid and makes more of a solid thud. Sim 2 feels super soft and more hollow. It's funny, I have only had a few rounds with the SIM 2 and it reminds me of when I first got my Sim and I couldn't really tell when I hit it in the center. I'll hit one that feels like I mishit it but the ball just takes off and I see a mark in the center of the face.

2. Forgiveness- Way more forgiving. I notice my mishits fly much better and go further. I had never really thought he Sim OG was unforgiving until I hit the Sim 2

3. Weight- Sim 2 head feels much lighter and initially threw off my rhythm. It's getting better but still feels light

Overall, I really like the sound and feel of my OG SIM, however I think performance wise the Sim 2 performs better for me. I do miss the fade bias of the OG Sim. Nice to have a little protection against the hook. I did notice the Sim 2 spun more, but I am finding that actually helps. With the OG Sim I would have some drives that seemed to fall out of the sky but with the Sim 2 my drives launch high and just seem to carry forever.

You may be able to kill two birds with one stone on the SIM 2 and have it hot melted to match the weight of your SIM to both restore the old feel as well as mute/deaden the sound. You could even kill 3 birds by reducing the rear weight slightly to allow even more hotmelt to be added which could then be placed more toe side to restore the fade bias you missed. Just a thought!

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 2

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX || Taylormade SIM 9* Diamana X'17 70X
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage Proto 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti V2 17* Kuro Kage 80XTS 
Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro White 90TX || TItleist TS21* Kuro Kage 100XTS 
Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Project X PXi 7.0 // Kuro Kage 100XTS 
Hybrid  
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

3 hours ago, Valtiel said:

You may be able to kill two birds with one stone on the SIM 2 and have it hot melted to match the weight of your SIM to both restore the old feel as well as mute/deaden the sound. You could even kill 3 birds by reducing the rear weight slightly to allow even more hotmelt to be added which could then be placed more toe side to restore the fade bias you missed. Just a thought!

I have never had a driver hot melted, but sounds like something I should look into. Thanks for the tip

12 minutes ago, Flip4000 said:

I have never had a driver hot melted, but sounds like something I should look into. Thanks for the tip

No problem, there are a few members here that you can send your clubs too and several reputable businesses/services on both coasts that many of us have used. If you're handy then you can also do it yourself with hotmelt kits sold by the main online golf supply stores like Golfworks and Hotmelt.com. 

Taylormade SIM 10.5* Diamana X'17 70TX || Taylormade SIM 9* Diamana X'17 70X
Taylormade SIM Ti V2 15* Kuro Kage Proto 80TX || Taylormade SIM Ti V2 17* Kuro Kage 80XTS 
Taylormade M5 19* Tensei Pro White 90TX || TItleist TS21* Kuro Kage 100XTS 
Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Project X PXi 7.0 // Kuro Kage 100XTS 
Hybrid  
Bridgestone J40 DPC 4i-7i 23*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I hit the original SIM a fair amount and liked it. Felt great. Played a friends SIM2 Max the other day for a full 18 because my drivers were in my bag up north. I actually hit it well all day but it felt meh and sounded like hollow plastic to me. 

Edited by GBBM
  • Like 1

RomaRo 435LX 10*-Quadra FEX 65SX 

PRGR Egg HD 14.5*-Fubuki 75S 3W
PRGR EGG 20* - M-43S 7 wood

RomaRo iBrid 2 22* - Crazy Hybrid 

Miura PP9003SN 5-G - Modus 125S 

Miura HB12 @ 55* - Modus 125 W

2015 PM Grind 60* - KBS Tour V

Axis1 Rose - Garsen Quad Tour grip

Still loving my SIM2 is it any better than OG SIM? Probably not but just have it in a lower loft which helps

Might tinker with the shaft though miss having a shaft with a bit of kick if anyone has any recommendations?

Driver = Titleist TSi2 Hzrdus smoke 6.0

1 iron = Titleist U510 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
Irons = Wilson Staff FG59, DG S300 4-PW
Wedges = Bettinardi HLX 3.0 50*

Taylormade MG2 56* and 60*

Putter = Odyssey white hot pro 1WS 

Ball = Bridgestone Tour B RXS 

I played the OG SIM Max last year for a while, and am currently trying out the the SIM2 Max.

It does seem more forgiving, which is good.

But it also seems to launch way higher and spin way more. It seems to be about 20 yards shorter. WHich is not good.

In its defence the shaft probably isn't right, but I am less than in love.

Mavrik Hzrdus Smoke
Cobra F6 Baffler

Ping G410/Epic Flash Hybrids
Cobra Forged Tec Copper Irons
Cleveland CBX2 wedges
PXG One and Done

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/24/2021 at 10:12 AM, Juice1121 said:

Hit the SIM 2 in a bay last week. Hated it. Felt really dead off the face and sounded the same. Can't speak to the original SIM, but I saw no reason to switch from my 2017 M2. 

Find it funny how I always end up back at 2017 M2 ... every single time

• Like 1

Played SIM Max since it's release and have had decent to mildly good results. Got some free credit with Taylormade so I decided to go get fit for the SIM2/SIM2 max... TSi3 beat out both in the fitting. SIM2 feels too light and soft compared to the more solid feeling TSi, and Titleist seems to have closed the ball speed/spin gap where TM held the advantage previously. I could definitely stay in my SIM Max and be happy. I wouldn't say SIM2 is a disappointing driver, I just didn't see any benefit over the OG SIM line to be honest.  

Driver: Taylormade SIM2 Max - Accra TZ5 75 M5

3 Wood:  Taylormade SIM Ti - Accra TZ6 85 M5

Hybrid:  Srixon ZX Utility - GD AD DI Hybrid 95x

Irons:  Taylormade P770 4-AW  - KBS $Taper 125S+

Wedges: Taylormade MG2 56/12, 60/10 - KBS Hi Rev 2.0 125

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Del Mar 

12 hours ago, Tiptx1122 said:

Wow I have been hearing this a lot as even your OPEN Champ uses the OG SIM

Morikawa's OG SIM is absolutely dialed in.  He's also a fader so it only makes sense that he stick to the OG SIM.  I have both the SIM and SIM2 and periodically swap out heads.  SIM when I need a higher ball flight with a course that requires more fades off the tee, and my SIM2 when I want a flatter ball that hits and rolls out.  SIM is 9* whereas the SIM2 is 8*.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Diamana PD 70TX

TM SIM 15* w/Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

for me the SIM was a much better driver then the SIM2. My SIM cracked and i had no option but to get the SIM2 and i'm now playing the TSI3

• Like 2

Titleist TSI3 10* / Ventus black 6X 
Titleist TS3 5 wood / Diamana white board 80S
Titleist 620 CB 3-P / Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist SM8 chrome 52/10 wedge
Titleist SM8 raw 56/12 wedge
Titleist SM8 black 60/8 wedge
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

I like the Sim2 more than the Sim. The Sim was not a stable club for me, i lost a lot of yardage on off center hits. my Sim2 is incredibly stable. The Sim2 I was fit into the Graphite Design Tour AD XC where the M5 got fit into the Fujikura Pro Tour Spec shaft. I used it with the original Sim when i got tested and the M5 was better for me. I love my Sim2 but getting fit is definitely a path to finding what works for you.

Well I listed the last of my 5 sim heads in the BST classifieds this afternoon. I finally found something that is straighter and more consistent for me than the OG sim. I will still say that TM hit a homerun with the original sim. It’s been hard to beat even as new clubs have been coming out over the last 18 months. 

• Like 1

I had a Sim Max (10.5) last year which gave me very good numbers albeit not quite as good as a Mavrik, and recently tried out a Sim2 Max 10.5.

For me, it was completely different. And in a good way.

There was more forgiveness, but launch and spin were way higher so distance was down a lot.

I was also missing right with it, which I hate.

In the interests of science I swapped it for a 9* Sim2 Max lofted up to close the face.

Better, but still not as good (for me) as the OG.

Mavrik Hzrdus Smoke
Cobra F6 Baffler

Ping G410/Epic Flash Hybrids
Cobra Forged Tec Copper Irons
Cleveland CBX2 wedges
PXG One and Done

15 hours ago, Taylormadehunter1 said:

Well I listed the last of my 5 sim heads in the BST classifieds this afternoon. I finally found something that is straighter and more consistent for me than the OG sim. I will still say that TM hit a homerun with the original sim. It’s been hard to beat even as new clubs have been coming out over the last 18 months. 

You can't just drop a line like that and not say what you found that worked better...

Still loving my SIM, although admittedly I've struggled with the driver the last year+ as my schedule hasn't allowed for any practice time. When I'm off it's a challenge, but when I'm swinging right it's the most impressive driver I've ever owned.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/28/2021 at 9:19 AM, VNutz said:

You can't just drop a line like that and not say what you found that worked better...

Still loving my SIM, although admittedly I've struggled with the driver the last year+ as my schedule hasn't allowed for any practice time. When I'm off it's a challenge, but when I'm swinging right it's the most impressive driver I've ever owned.

Sorry about that!  I’ve moved over to a Mizuno STZ. It is just too straight to not game it. Since I get to play very little at this point I needed something a little more user friendly and the Mizuno fits that bill. 

• Like 2

I also got the SIM2 9deg as a replacement for a cracked OG SIM 9deg. Agree with most things that have been said so far about sound, forgiveness and less fade bias.

I guess the one thing that I will add is that for me, OG SIM could separate launch and spin in a great way. Although this could be a matter of OG SIM being more fade biassed. I have not found the hitting "high, straight bombs setting" on the SIM2. With OG sim this setting was, 9 deg one click up with weight 75% in the toe. SIM2 one click up becomes too draw biased and one click down from standard straightens out the ball flight but doesn't launch high enough.

Might look to get an OG SIM in 9 deg again, or try to find a SIM2 10.5 to loft down.

Wonder what sim 3 will bring to the table..

Driver: Titleist TSi3 Ventus blue 6x

3 wood: Titleist Tsi2 15 Ventus blue 7x

& Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; LAB DF2.1
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

It’s Sim and Sim2. The OG in me must clarify that something that came out less than 2 years ago cannot be referred to as OG. That is all. Carry on. 

• Like 1

TSI3 @ 7.25* - Ventus black 7x
G410 hybrid @ 16* - Hzdrus black 85x
Callaway Apex UT 20* - RIP 100x
Honma 737v 4-P - Modus 120tx
RTX Zipcore 52* & 56* - X100

Scotty Cameron Catalina Two

11 hours ago, QuigleyDU said:

Wonder what sim 3 will bring to the table..

Maybe they will bring the sliding weight track back with the same or similar design of the SIM2.  It only makes sense to go that direction. 

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Diamana PD 70TX

TM SIM 15* w/Diamana ZF 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Ghost Proto 16* HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

45 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Maybe they will bring the sliding weight track back with the same or similar design of the SIM2.  It only makes sense to go that direction. 

The SIM2 is a good driver. I preferred the SIM but that is me. I really liked the SIM. That does not mean the 2 is bad. 

Driver: Titleist TSi3 Ventus blue 6x

3 wood: Titleist Tsi2 15 Ventus blue 7x

& Wood: Titleist TSi2 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; LAB DF2.1
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

On 8/9/2021 at 6:07 PM, Taylormadehunter1 said:

Sorry about that!  I’ve moved over to a Mizuno STZ. It is just too straight to not game it. Since I get to play very little at this point I needed something a little more user friendly and the Mizuno fits that bill. 

Thats interesting, i love mizunos drivers but everytime i test one its 2-3 mph slower than my SIM. Only club i have tested that hung with my SIM ball speed wise was the tsi3, its legit,  quick. I will say this about the SIM, it definitely is a demanding club. If your swing is dialed in, nothing touches it. If not, whew it can get bad quick.