Zx5 vs Apex 21

Heckle

1 hour ago, BallerNate said:

Gotcha, makes sense.

Well, I haven’t gamed the ZX5’s yet since I’m waiting on delivery, but they felt amazing in my fitting and can’t wait to get them onto the course!!

I wish I could find some turf to hit them/ get fit on. The only club I have access to around here doesn't carry Srixon

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons : Callaway Apex Pro '21 5-AW-- S400 (S)

Woods: Callaway Epic Speed 3W

Putter: TM HydroBlast Del Monte 1

I feel like I've had a different experience than many on golfwrx with the zx5/7s. I've been primarily looking for players distance clubs and so far have hit the 790s, Apex 21s and ZX5/7s. Loved the looks and feel of the Srixons but they were at least a club shorter when compared to the other clubs. All demos were hit outside and off grass. To me the Srixons seems like they belong in a different category, more like the Mizuno JPX line than a real players distance club. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx Aldila NV 75 

TaylorMade Stealth Fairway 3HL FUJIKURA VISTA PRO 21 65S

Cobra LTDx 4 Hybrid 20* KBS PGI 85

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 5-GW Project X LZ 6.0

Titleist SM9 55*/60*
Bobby Grace F-18

31 minutes ago, dixiethunder said:

I feel like I've had a different experience than many on golfwrx with the zx5/7s. I've been primarily looking for players distance clubs and so far have hit the 790s, Apex 21s and ZX5/7s. Loved the looks and feel of the Srixons but they were at least a club shorter when compared to the other clubs. All demos were hit outside and off grass. To me the Srixons seems like they belong in a different category, more like the Mizuno JPX line than a real players distance club. 

I agree 100%. The most comparable clubs that I’ve hit to the ZX5 were the JPX 921’s and my previous ‘17 P770’s.

P790 and Apex 21 are thicker more powerful clubs with more distance and less feel in my opinion also.

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym X (11*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Paradym X (15*) / Hzrdus Silver 6.0

Callaway Big Bertha 23 (19*) / Cally RCH 65 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-PW) / Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 S

Cleveland CBX (48*), RTX 6 Zipcore (52* Mid, 58* Mid) / DG Spinner

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

1 hour ago, BallerNate said:

I agree 100%. The most comparable clubs that I’ve hit to the ZX5 were the JPX 921’s and my previous ‘17 P770’s.

P790 and Apex 21 are thicker more powerful clubs with more distance and less feel in my opinion also.

I also agree.  Had the ZX5 and the Apex 21 side by side on Sunday.  Trackman then out on the course.  For whatever reason, I was hitting the Apex 21 a club further than the ZX5.  But the ZX5 did feel amazing...

• Like 1

TaylorMade Stealth Plus Driver | 10.5° set to 9.75° & 1.5° open Ventus Blue
Callaway Epic Speed | 16.5° | Ventus Red

Callaway Epic Max | 20° | Graphite Design Tour AD DJ
Ping G410 3H | 19° Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-75

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4 | 21° Diamana Thump

Srixon ZX4/ZX5 | 5I-6I / 7I-PW LAGP Tour AXS Blue 105

Callaway Rogue ST Pro | 5I-AW | Aerotech SteelFiber i95cw
Callaway Jaws MD5 | 50° Aerotech SteelFiber i95cw

Callaway Jaws Full Toe Raw Black | 54° & 58° Aerotech SteelFiber i95cw

Bettinardi BB8 Tri Carbon Candy  | Stability Graphite or TaylorMade Spider X Chalk  | Stability Tour

59 minutes ago, bear87 said:

I also agree.  Had the ZX5 and the Apex 21 side by side on Sunday.  Trackman then out on the course.  For whatever reason, I was hitting the Apex 21 a club further than the ZX5.  But the ZX5 did feel amazing...

Yea my issue with the Apex 21 was that I almost hit it too far and it was not consistent, I was consistently either hitting it 168 or 182, hard to score when you have no idea how far the club will go

• Like 2

Cobra LTDx Aldila NV 75 

TaylorMade Stealth Fairway 3HL FUJIKURA VISTA PRO 21 65S

Cobra LTDx 4 Hybrid 20* KBS PGI 85

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 5-GW Project X LZ 6.0

Titleist SM9 55*/60*
Bobby Grace F-18

On 3/29/2021 at 9:30 AM, tsecor said:

hitting off a simulator really does not translate to actual gameplay on the course so i encourage EVERONE to test clubs on GRASS......an indoor mat and simulatr really do not give you true numbers or anything close to an outdoor feel.   thats whay i feel like fittings are so inaccurate for the most part.....play what works for you ON THE COURSE....no shame in going back to what works for you

clubs are not LOW or HIGH launching.....your swing dictates this.....i realy think the industry is SOOOOOOOOO brainwashed to think a piece of steel with grooves in it are the engine that drives the result...its not.....keep it simple. Go with what works

I enjoy the fitting process, but I have done better picking clubs that "look good" to my eye and just ordered/adjusted to my "static" measurements.

• Like 2

Titleist Tsr2 9*

PXG 0311 XF Gen 5 15*

Titleist 816 H1 21*

Ping i210 5-P (26*-45*)

Ping iE1 50*

Ping Glide 3.0 54*/58*

Ping Fetch

On 3/29/2021 at 6:45 PM, BallerNate said:

Yeah, you should definitely try hitting the ZX5 and ZX7...all the hype is real for sure!!

The only irons that were close for me were the Mizuno JPX 921’s but they were a pretty distant 2nd place.

Wish I could’ve tried the Cally Apex or Apex Pro instead of the DCB that I tried in my fitting and hated right away though.

nice clubs but  i ended up losing just about 10 yards in comparison to the other two models i hit (T100 and 921 tour).  nice clubs, but not for me.  very nice around the green though

Edited by tsecor
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, spring7 said:

I enjoy the fitting process, but I have done better picking clubs that "look good" to my eye and just ordered/adjusted to my "static" measurements.

for most amateurs, that works relatively good.....too many amateurs who are a +8 or higher really worry waaaaay too much about the fitting process.  I love seeing guys who spray the ball all over the course at the PGA SS talking launch angles and spin rates with these "fitters".......just work on hitting it straight!!!!

Edited by tsecor
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, tsecor said:

nice clubs but  i ended up losing just about 10 yards in comparison to the other two models i hit (T100 and 921 tour).  nice clubs, but not for me.  very nice around the green though

All about finding the best fit for you. ZX5 performed better for me than the JPX 921 or T100, but to each their own!

• Like 1

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

When I was fitted I got identical numbers from the Apex 21 and the ZX5's. The Apex has 1 degree stronger lofts I believe.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

• 1 month later...
On 4/1/2021 at 5:56 AM, braincramp52 said:

When I was fitted I got identical numbers from the Apex 21 and the ZX5's. The Apex has 1 degree stronger lofts I believe.

Apex 7i is 30.5* and ZX5 is 31* so almost identical in terms of loft.

I've been playing the Apex 21 and they are solid... long, great feel, and consistent for me.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Got fitted for the Zx5 set last Spring and played them the entire season. I am so pleased, great distance and spin. I worked from an 18 to 11 HCP. I think one of the keys was the shaft selection. For me it was the Nippon Modus 105. I transitioned away from a gorgeous set of AP3 with the AMT Black shaft. I am hitting things pure very often with the Zx5s. I do use Callaway Hybrids, so the idea of APEX is appealing, but results with the Zx5 have me settled for a while. 

The ZX5 is better looking than the standard Apex with its cheap looking cavity stickers (really surprised Callaway didn't update this to be a more forgiving version of 21 Apex Pro with its hollow body and very nice looking).  However, the tri-sole on the ZX5 is awful for my swing, it reminds me a lot of the Nike Covert forged 2, which I loved the look and feel of but just could not get along with the soles.  I have hit a friends set of Apex 21s that are bent 2 degrees weak and they are fantastic performers.  I am still playing the 2016 Apex combo set cuz they work great for me, and won't upgrade until Callaway gets rid of the cheapo looking  cavity stickers on this premier performing and priced set of irons.

• 2 weeks later...

got a demo x5 today and will post back updates when i get outside and hit it

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

old green logo.jpeg

On 3/25/2021 at 10:32 AM, BallerNate said:

I actually picked up a P790 7-iron to use while I wait for my ZX5's to come in, and controlling distance and trajectory is definitely an issue. The P790 just wants to launch and go far, ...

Back after TM launched its P-series irons, the complaint was P790 messed up gapping for irons --> wedges for longer hitters. Two different fitters told me of better players who got the P790 3i or 4i as a clearout / distance club to pair with other iron models.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

On 11/29/2021 at 12:08 PM, ChipNRun said:

Back after TM launched its P-series irons, the complaint was P790 messed up gapping for irons --> wedges for longer hitters. Two different fitters told me of better players who got the P790 3i or 4i as a clearout / distance club to pair with other iron models.

For sure using the P790 in the 3i or 4i spot makes a lot of sense because of the distance and forgiveness. What I don't understand as much is why they're so popular as full iron sets because of their lack of feel and what I found to be difficulty in controlling distances or using them for partial swings.

Odyssey White Hot OG 7 S

WITB on WRX

3 hours ago, BallerNate said:

For sure using the P790 in the 3i or 4i spot makes a lot of sense because of the distance and forgiveness. What I don't understand as much is why they're so popular as full iron sets because of their lack of feel and what I found to be difficulty in controlling distances or using them for partial swings.

This also fits the description of Callaway's Rogue X model. I got some quality time with the Rogue X at an off-course golf shop holiday reception. Someone had traded in set about four months after purchase.

I hit the Rogue X 5i and 7i side-by-side with my then X20 Tours. Rogue X 7i went from 140 to 160, X20T went 145 to 155. Similar with 5 irons.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is an older thread but I just got fitted today and the Callaway Apex’s won over the Srixon X5s and X7s. 
I tried Mizzy’s (921 models) Titleist, Taylormade, Ping, Srixon and Callaway. 
Narrowed it down to Apex’s and X5/X7s. I actually liked the X7s over the X5s- for whatever reason was just hitting the X7s way cleaner. 
Final edge was dispersion with the shaft I was most happy about. Honestly, that was the biggest surprise for me.  I’m going with the Project X LZ 125 6.5s. I have never liked the feel of the Project X shafts, I have just never gotten along with them. So I was extremely surprised by this shaft, and honestly the head too. 
I walked in thinking I was going to be Titleist, Mizuno or Srixon head with DG TI X-100s.  Ended up with a completely different set… chalk it up as another reason to get fit. 

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 7X
Taylormade Sim2 Max 3wd, Fujikura Ventus Blue 8X
Callaway Mavrik 5wd, Fujikura Speeder 8.3X
Callaway Mavrik 7wd, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 8X

Srixon ZX-4, 5 iron, ZX5 6-GW Project X LZ 6.5
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54* and Titleist SM9 60*
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 12

on the bench Scotty Cameron Newport Select custom by Embrace Putters 

• 1 month later...
On 12/14/2021 at 1:56 PM, tsur1 said:

I know this is an older thread but I just got fitted today and the Callaway Apex’s won over the Srixon X5s and X7s. 
I tried Mizzy’s (921 models) Titleist, Taylormade, Ping, Srixon and Callaway. 
Narrowed it down to Apex’s and X5/X7s. I actually liked the X7s over the X5s- for whatever reason was just hitting the X7s way cleaner. 
Final edge was dispersion with the shaft I was most happy about. Honestly, that was the biggest surprise for me.  I’m going with the Project X LZ 125 6.5s. I have never liked the feel of the Project X shafts, I have just never gotten along with them. So I was extremely surprised by this shaft, and honestly the head too. 
I walked in thinking I was going to be Titleist, Mizuno or Srixon head with DG TI X-100s.  Ended up with a completely different set… chalk it up as another reason to get fit. 

UPDATE** sold the Apex’s and when with the Srixon ZX5s. So glad I made the change. 
Now trying to dial in yardages. The ZX5s seem to be going 10 yards longer than my previous set (JPX 900 Forged). I’ll try and get a range session or two in this week but so far I’m very happy I switched!

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/23/2022 at 8:41 PM, tsur1 said:

UPDATE** sold the Apex’s and when with the Srixon ZX5s. So glad I made the change. 
Now trying to dial in yardages. The ZX5s seem to be going 10 yards longer than my previous set (JPX 900 Forged). I’ll try and get a range session or two in this week but so far I’m very happy I switched!

What made you decide to change?

• Like 1

On 2/15/2022 at 8:58 PM, Pacificgem said:

What made you decide to change?

The Apex’s were more penalizing on miss hits to me. ZX5 fly straighter and linger on misses- for me anyway

• 2 months later...

anyone find the x5 have too much bounce

old green logo.jpeg

On 3/26/2021 at 6:10 AM, braincramp52 said:

I found very little difference between the Apex 21 and ZX5's. I went with the Srixon's because I thought they felt better and were a bit cheaper.

Braincramp, I notice you have the new wilson D9 forged.  I'm comparing that to Apex and Cobra.  How do you like them?  Also, compared to ZX5 and Apex?

2 hours ago, balata2 said:

Braincramp, I notice you have the new wilson D9 forged.  I'm comparing that to Apex and Cobra.  How do you like them?  Also, compared to ZX5 and Apex?

I didn't keep the Srixons very long. I didn't get along with the soles. The Wilson D9 forged are so damn nice. They feel softer and they have less offset than the 21's and the ZX5's. I highly recommend them.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

Callaway 2007 X-Forged 5-PW/ PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 / Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2.5+ 

Life is like riding a bicycle, to keep your balance you must keep moving

played 27 holes yesterday because it was 70 degrees here yesterday and compared the Srixon zx5 to the Mizuno 225.

For me the x5 was significantly more forgiving, feel was similar and the Srixon launch a little higher. I think the 225 are in a different category then the zx5, maybe they are more in line with the zx7? 

old green logo.jpeg

• 5 months later...

Interesting take on the Apex DCBs. The ZX5s were my "runner-up" to my DCBs and I went with the DCBs because they enabled me to do more with the club, particularly as I get into my longer (5-7) irons. To compare them to the ZX4s though is ridiculous. Yes, they have a bit more offset than ZX5s, but the feel is far more similar there than between ZX4 (or P790 for that matter). If I have one "regret." I should've blended the 5-7 with regular old Apex 21s in the 8-gap. I'm still only 15 rounds in so with some grip changes, I'm confident that I'll get those where I want, but definitely more left to right tendency with the DCBs than Apex 21s.