PXG Gen 4 X Driver vs. Proto X

johnt14

On 3/23/2021 at 12:52 PM, dhen9 said:

Proto X+ on PXG site as 12°. My favorite driver was the original Epic in 13° turned down and with Fuji Pro 6S. I'm just trying to replicate that. With lack of fitters in Central Ohio and the fact that the phone fitting was silly I don't want to experiment with $500-700 putting Gen4 vs Proto X+. 

Funny - as I go to the Columbus area to get fit.  There is a great PXG club fitter there.  I drive from Cleveland to get fit there and my Dad drives from Toledo.  🙂

2 hours ago, GFish said:

Funny - as I go to the Columbus area to get fit.  There is a great PXG club fitter there.  I drive from Cleveland to get fit there and my Dad drives from Toledo.  🙂

Perhaps I should qualify that CC and Truespec don't have openings and GG is limited on selections of shafts. Thanks for keeping me in line. 

7 hours ago, Steveryu said:

Thanks guys for great feedback. 
Is Gen 4 XF driver equivalent to Proto X+ and Gen 4 X equivalent to Proto X?

For those that tried the Gen 4, did you guys have 45.5” length shaft on when fitting (the new standard length according to PXG)?

XF is a bit different in size and CG. More forgiving than proto x+. Gen4 X is similar. I went with 45inch since that's what I normally play.

The raw crown is different, I actually kind of like the look, typically like raw material. Plus the black is a really nice dark black compared to the more matte black proto. To me its no more distracting than a Sim or ping, but I'm more concerned with how a driver sits and how the face looks at address than how the crown looks. 

• Like 3

On 3/30/2021 at 6:08 AM, CC Stryder said:

Anyone have any updates or hit the Gen4?  I have a fitting April 9th but am getting ancy sitting here waiting and finding reviews online is minimal at best!

I pulled the trigger on a Gen 4 X driver and it's supposed to be delivered to my club today.  I'm going to try and get out there tomorrow and give it a go on a few holes and see how she does.

I'll post details this weekend

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Got the Gen 4 X today and got to hit it on the range and played 6 holes hitting multiple tee shots on each hole.  

I've played the G400 Max with the Tour 65 S shaft for the past 3+ years and its treated me pretty well.  Even with the low spin shaft  though I could find a way to sometimes spin it right and it just dies.  I'm not a long hitter by any stretch and usually drove it 220-235 or so and would sometimes touch 240 with it.  

For me at least, the PXG is a monster.  I was hitting it to places on the course I've played hundreds of times I've never been.  Consistently about 20 yards further than normal with my Ping.  On the last hole of the day for me I hit 5 tee shots.  All of them were dead center of the fairway within steps of each other.  366 yard hole and I had 105-110 to the pin.   

My first shots on the range were a little hooky but I was able to straighten it out pretty easily.  I started with the heavy weight in the front.  After a few holes I put the heavy weight in the back.  I continued to bomb it (for me) similar distance but that spinny slice came back into play on bad strikes. (the bad strikes still carried much further than Ping slices though)  Club with the weight in the back felt great to me and I might have a little more control on good strikes, but my dreaded slice is definitely in play.  With the weight in the front I couldn't slice it and misses would be left (and far!). 

For a player like my this driver is a game changer.  With the weight in the front I can just see balls that would've spun right and died with my Ping, power down the fairway.  Really impressed and pleased with the purchase. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, johnt14 said:

Got the Gen 4 X today and got to hit it on the range and played 6 holes hitting multiple tee shots on each hole.  

I've played the G400 Max with the Tour 65 S shaft for the past 3+ years and its treated me pretty well.  Even with the low spin shaft  though I could find a way to sometimes spin it right and it just dies.  I'm not a long hitter by any stretch and usually drove it 220-235 or so and would sometimes touch 240 with it.  

For me at least, the PXG is a monster.  I was hitting it to places on the course I've played hundreds of times I've never been.  Consistently about 20 yards further than normal with my Ping.  On the last hole of the day for me I hit 5 tee shots.  All of them were dead center of the fairway within steps of each other.  366 yard hole and I had 105-110 to the pin.   

My first shots on the range were a little hooky but I was able to straighten it out pretty easily.  I started with the heavy weight in the front.  After a few holes I put the heavy weight in the back.  I continued to bomb it (for me) similar distance but that spinny slice came back into play on bad strikes. (the bad strikes still carried much further than Ping slices though)  Club with the weight in the back felt great to me and I might have a little more control on good strikes, but my dreaded slice is definitely in play.  With the weight in the front I couldn't slice it and misses would be left (and far!). 

For a player like my this driver is a game changer.  With the weight in the front I can just see balls that would've spun right and died with my Ping, power down the fairway.  Really impressed and pleased with the purchase. 

That is fantastic to hear John.  It’s hard to describe the utter joy you get when you find a stick that fits and the confidence that comes with it.  This makes me even more excited for my fitting on the 9th!  I’ve been gaming the proto X+ with heavy weight in the front for about 6 months...it’s good, not great.  Hoping the fitting dials in my future gamer!

Thank you for taking the time to write this up.

Edited by CC Stryder

1 hour ago, CC Stryder said:

That is fantastic to hear John.  It’s hard to describe the utter joy you get when you find a stick that fits and the confidence that comes with it.  This makes me even more excited for my fitting on the 9th!  I’ve been gaming the proto X+ with heavy weight in the front for about 6 months...it’s good, not great.  Hoping the fitting dials in my future gamer!

Thank you for taking the time to write this up.

I'll be curious what you and others think too.  The G400 Max is the first and only driver I've ever owned. (always used to hit a generic hand me down 3 wood when I was younger and finally got a driver when I got back into golf after a  long layoff) 

I tried the others Epic, Sim, ect... at demo days but never got along with them as well as the Ping.  

The Gen 4 seems for me like a good balance of Ping forgiveness with more distance. 

On 3/23/2021 at 4:03 PM, dhen9 said:

If you look at PXG site you see the same buzzwords: mutli material crown, high speed face, TPE in sole but nothing of major substance. The Gen 4 does already have an LPGA Tour win. I'm just trying to figure out if I go Tensei White in Proto and spend approx the same as I would with Gen 4 and stock shaft option. 

I think that this is an interesting idea, the Proto head and then upgrade the shaft, Ventus or Tensei - this with Gen4 will cost an arm and a leg and I reckon the benefit can’t be that much...

...can it??

I have my fitting at the end of April so I guess we will see....

Just now, HaggisPXG said:

I think that this is an interesting idea, the Proto head and then upgrade the shaft, Ventus or Tensei - this with Gen4 will cost an arm and a leg and I reckon the benefit can’t be that much...

...can it??

I have my fitting at the end of April so I guess we will see....

For me.. The Proto+ with an upgraded shaft is the best way to go. Their stocks shafts are not that good. Gen4 with an upgraded shaft would be crazy expensive. Been playing the Proto for months and no plan on going to get fit for the Gen4 after reading some early reviews. 

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

3 hours ago, OspreyCI said:

For me.. The Proto+ with an upgraded shaft is the best way to go. Their stocks shafts are not that good. Gen4 with an upgraded shaft would be crazy expensive. Been playing the Proto for months and no plan on going to get fit for the Gen4 after reading some early reviews. 

Yup, if I end up just tweaking my Proto I won’t be upset...

Im more excited to have PXG reps dial me in more than my usual self fit trial and error!

• Like 2

Protos are really good! If you have one, unless you really just want the newest toy, there isn't much of performance difference to justify a change. They even acknowledge performance results on their site in a comparison chart. 

I noticed Ventus Blue 6 are not being offered anymore. Only the VB5 and VB7. There's a supply chain issue with Fujikura and I know of a couple other vendors having trouble getting the VB6 shaft. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 5/16/2021 at 12:37 AM, ayc25 said:

They have a phone-in special today for the Gen 4 drivers. $295 + shipping + tax. I'm happy with the Proto X I currently game, so I passed, but my friend ordered one.

Yeah I see they are now $395 for the Gen4 - seems like a great price. Was originally looking at a SIM2, but with PXG offering that huge discount, makes it attractive. Wonder if anyone on here has compared the Gen4 to the SIM2 to see how they stack up with the larger price difference now. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dmossu said:

Yeah I see they are now $395 for the Gen4 - seems like a great price. Was originally looking at a SIM2, but with PXG offering that huge discount, makes it attractive. Wonder if anyone on here has compared the Gen4 to the SIM2 to see how they stack up with the larger price difference now. 

My man @evoviiiyou has and I bet he will chime in. I have not, but I know he has his Sim2Max sitting in quarantine over the Proto and Gen4 X.

• Like 2

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

46 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

My man @evoviiiyou has and I bet he will chime in. I have not, but I know he has his Sim2Max sitting in quarantine over the Proto and Gen4 X.

Yeah curious to see what he has to say - SIM2 really worth the additional $135 - I have not hit either the SIM2 or the Gen4, but feel like that PXG is a ton of club for the price 

54 minutes ago, dmossu said:

Yeah curious to see what he has to say - SIM2 really worth the additional $135 - I have not hit either the SIM2 or the Gen4, but feel like that PXG is a ton of club for the price 

I have hit both. Performance-wise you're not going to see any difference. PXG feels better IMO. As long as you get the right head shaft combo, you're good in any driver these days.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, evoviiiyou said:

So currently in my Proto+ Ventus Red Velocore and loving it (played with weights a lot) and have her at D3 loving it a lot. I have compared owned:

Gen4X

SIM Tour Issue (higher ct head)

SIMMax

SIM2Max

Long and short is the ball speeds on center strikes are all very similar as is launch and spin. Although,I didn't get to fit the Gen4XT, I would compare the SIM 1 OG to the Gen4XT (look almost identical). SIM2Max and SIMMax I would compare to the Gen4X and really there was nothing in the performance with over 5premium shafts tested in each. Interchangable in every measured and subjective criteria once dialed in.

I actually think the Gen4X is a little lower spin than both the SIMMax heads on center strikes which was providing that longest ball result. For me, I am currently very interested in the XF but it seems so close to my dialed Proto+, which does a perfect job in protecting distance on course with my miss (low center strike), and when flushed is as long as the rest. I have hit 4-5 balls off tees with Gen4X, SIM2Max, and Proto+ on multiple holes on different days and less than 4-5 yards either way walking them off with GPS.  For these new prices, the PXG stuff is more than a steal if you like the stock shaft offerings for fitting, and if TM didn't pay so much for Tour driver play, you would see a lot more of them in Tour bags. They are that solid. Sound to me, always go to the PXG as its the perfect blend of muted thwack with a touch of that titanium sound, where the SIM2 products are definitely more muted thwack with none of the titanium sound in the feedback.  I like the PXG combo subjectively a bit more. Both powerful with PXG offering a touch more feedback for center strikes.

My direct comparisons for like type would be as follows:

SIM 1 OG = Gen4XT

SIM2/SIM2MAX = Gen4X

TM doesn't have a head that reminds me of the Gen4XF/Proto+ heads...those two are like a blend of PingG425Max meet SIM2MAX and had a baby

I think if you like Sim2, you will love Gen4. If you like the shallower SIM 1 OG then go XT, and if you like the SIM2 or SIM2Max go Gen4X as well.  I hope this helps and good luck, all great choices and you really cant go wrong either way here with all of the above mentioned taking price out.

Told you he would come thru!!! Awesome write up man! You make this site better for it.

• Thanks 2

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

2 minutes ago, OspreyCI said:

Told you he would come thru!!! Awesome write up man! You make this site better for it.

For you Osprey, always ask and you shall always receive. Part of the journey, experience and lots of $$$ outlay for testing is being able to share to help justify some of the misses over the years, thats for sure.  Sharing reduces that sting. Turn that frown upside down LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

4 hours ago, evoviiiyou said:

So currently in my Proto+ Ventus Red Velocore and loving it (played with weights a lot) and have her at D3 loving it a lot. I have compared owned:

Gen4X

SIM Tour Issue (higher ct head)

SIMMax

SIM2Max

Long and short is the ball speeds on center strikes are all very similar as is launch and spin. Although,I didn't get to fit the Gen4XT, I would compare the SIM 1 OG to the Gen4XT (look almost identical). SIM2Max and SIMMax I would compare to the Gen4X and really there was nothing in the performance with over 5premium shafts tested in each. Interchangable in every measured and subjective criteria once dialed in.

I actually think the Gen4X is a little lower spin than both the SIMMax heads on center strikes which was providing that longest ball result. For me, I am currently very interested in the XF but it seems so close to my dialed Proto+, which does a perfect job in protecting distance on course with my miss (low center strike), and when flushed is as long as the rest. I have hit 4-5 balls off tees with Gen4X, SIM2Max, and Proto+ on multiple holes on different days and less than 4-5 yards either way walking them off with GPS.  For these new prices, the PXG stuff is more than a steal if you like the stock shaft offerings for fitting, and if TM didn't pay so much for Tour driver play, you would see a lot more of them in Tour bags. They are that solid. Sound to me, always go to the PXG as its the perfect blend of muted thwack with a touch of that titanium sound, where the SIM2 products are definitely more muted thwack with none of the titanium sound in the feedback.  I like the PXG combo subjectively a bit more. Both powerful with PXG offering a touch more feedback for center strikes.

My direct comparisons for like type would be as follows:

SIM 1 OG = Gen4XT

SIM2/SIM2MAX = Gen4X

TM doesn't have a head that reminds me of the Gen4XF/Proto+ heads...those two are like a blend of PingG425Max meet SIM2MAX and had a baby

I think if you like Sim2, you will love Gen4. If you like the shallower SIM 1 OG then go XT, and if you like the SIM2 or SIM2Max go Gen4X as well.  I hope this helps and good luck, all great choices and you really cant go wrong either way here with all of the above mentioned taking price out.

WOW amazing comparison there. Thank you so much, greatly appreciated. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, dhen9 said:

Getting pretty good results with my Proto X 12° set to standard with Fuji Pro 2.0 6s. Really have an itch for Gen 4 XF 12° and wondering if I go Evo IV 661 or Ventus Blue? 

I think the Gen4XF is going to be great. Do you like the Fuji Pro2.0 in your proto? If yes you have that and it will plug and play and if you want the upgraded materials of the speeder line the Evo V is almost an exact match for the Fuji Pro2.0. Ventus blue Velocore will give you a similar handle to mid feel with more stiffness in the tip for stability. Speeder Evo IV is just a balanced stiff, stiff, stiff tip mid to handle and is a like a softer speeder TR and very consistent to control spin. These Fuji charts might help you out. I go back to them from time to time to help me pick what I know I love from hitting them all as a reminder. Good luck 

A7292710-8DF9-4C89-975B-37C236F952F0.png

05101818-2F63-4F81-BBFA-54152F6AEF6F.png

• Like 2

Malc- have you tried US customer service for a recommendation? Worst case they might be able to arrange a FedEx or DHL to you or recommend a local stock-ex.  

Reading back, I think I’m going to order a Gen4 XF 10.5 Monday to compare to my Proto+ same shaft and set up swing weight the same for my own edification. The wrx in me is telling me I need the new paint job…and AV carbon back in my life.  

• Like 1