2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Was I wrong?

GrandStranded

1 hour ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

After thinking about this for hours and saying you were correct earlier...i have come to the conclusion that u were dead wrong and should have just gave that guy your entire set.

P.s. i am the guy from the range

Do you mind posting your very old clubs and beyond bad swing? I wanna see😂😂😂😂

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, john myrbch said:

It was in Barefoot, North Myrtle Beach.

We have a great bunch of guys here for the most part, and 4 nice courses. You rarely run into someone with what I call a “country club” attitude. I’m sure there are some, but they don’t play in the leagues or money games I do.

Most people here just really enjoy golf, and the staff and members make it a nice, friendly place to live.

The guy was most likely a snowbird. I’ve been here 10 years and never saw him before.

Yeah I would say typical Snowbird--- Yep Indigo on a smaller scale is the same way most of the members are nice except a few old men farts that don't like me. Got told I would not fit well in the men's group because my handicap is too low. I could give two hoots less I do my own thing. The weekly shootout is a hoot and is fun. A lot of the members have been concerned the last year and have followed my progress and given me encouragement. 

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

5W  --- TM V Steel Fubuki 60r

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 5 thru PW TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R F

SW Callaway PM Grind 56* Modified Grind KBS Tour Wedge

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter Macgregor Bobby Grace Mark 4 V-Foil Broomstick

19 hours ago, john myrbch said:

That day the non member section was less crowde so I went there, only because I think some Rh players are bothered seeing a lefthander swing out of the corner of their eye hitting right next them.

I've never been bothered by hitting next to a lefty, it's just a little disconcerting at first but I do know some people who just can't handle being on either side of a lefty on the range.  Out of curiosity:  as a lefty is it strange to be hitting next to righties or do you just become accustomed to it rather quickly?

btw you did nothing wrong.  Not sure it rises to the level of violence or profanity as some are suggesting, but it's super weird to touch a stranger's possessions and ask to use them.

Edited by toc

Glove: ML
Tees: 2 3/4
Towel: white
Repair tool: metal
Ball Marker: largest poker chip in the world
Iron headcovers: wait, what?

The feedback system is annoying

Just touching anything in my bag without permission would get him a

"WTF are you doing?"

You were right.

• Like 2

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

15 hours ago, cardoustie said:

I would’ve been way harsher

you were in the right

played Thistle in high winds this morning fwiw

Nice. That’s a great place....Play all 27?

Edited by john myrbch

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX23 HM 6-AW 

CLEVELAND CBX Zipcore 54-11

CLEVELAND  RTX Zipcore 58-6 

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

I mean, if I was chatting with someone and they asked to look maybe. I'm not a total dick about my gear, but respect it, respect me.

Haywood 1 with Hzrdus Black RDX 70

Haywood 3W PXG 0211 5W

Haywood 18* driving iron

Haywood MB irons 3-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Haywood mid mallet putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

53 minutes ago, toc said:

I've never been bothered by hitting next to a lefty, it's just a little disconcerting at first but I do know some people who just can't handle being on either side of a lefty on the range.  Out of curiosity:  as a lefty is it strange to be hitting next to righties or do you just become accustomed to it rather quickly?

btw you did nothing wrong.  Not sure it rises to the level of violence or profanity as some are suggesting, but it's super weird to touch a stranger's possessions and ask to use them.

It doesn’t bother me hitting next to a righty. Having the other person “facing me” is all I know, lol
Most times there seems to be an unspoken effort to time things so we aren’t swinging at the same time. That can be distracting, otherwise I’m fine.

• Like 1

PING G425 Max 10.5* 

TAYLORMADE Stealth 3HL & 7W

TAYLORMADE  Stealth 22* & 25*

MIZUNO JPX23 HM 6-AW 

CLEVELAND CBX Zipcore 54-11

CLEVELAND  RTX Zipcore 58-6 

SCOTTY CAMERON Phantom X 5.5

I've got no issue with anybody asking to hit my clubs - as long as they're courteous about it. Whether or not I let them, is actually immaterial. Sometimes I might, other times I might not, but no hard feelings either way on my end.

But if somebody came up to my stuff and just started handling it without asking first, that's where a line's been crossed. No different from somebody coming up to my table at a restaurant and taking a french fry from my plate. Seriously, who does that? But reading these forums, it seems like it happens at an interesting rate. Who raised these people?

No, you didn't do anything wrong.  I think you were right to be direct and firm with him.  A person with the temerity to go through your bag, uninvited, is not the kind of person you can expect to to abide by polite protest or subtle cues.

In the past, I've offered to let people hit my clubs but those people were:

a) nice 

b) clearly interested in the club.  They certainly weren't disparaging of the club before showing interest. 

"Get dressed Spaulding, you're playing golf today."
" No I'm not Grandpa, I'm playing tennis."
 "No, you're playing golf and you're going to like it."

Lefty here as well. I may have a tendency to strike up a little small talk on the range if I should be next to another lefty. However under no circumstances would I just go over to someones bag & start grabbing at their clubs. That's a little bit rude.

• Like 1

Driver: Callaway Rogue STMaxLS 10.5 Degree

5 Wood: Cobra LTDxLS @ 17.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra King OS 3-4 Hybrid @ 20.5 Degree

Hybrid: Cobra Aerojet @ 24 Degree

Irons: Taylormade 2021 P790's 5-AW

Wedge: Taylormade MG3 54 Degree

Wedge: Callaway Sureout 2 @ 60 degree

Putter: PXG Closer

I think you handled it appropriately, a lot of people would have handled it much worse than that. He was completely out of line to go into your bag. 

Cobra LTDx LS - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Titleist TSi3 15* - Tour AD DI 7X

Nike Vapor Fly 3H

Mizuno JPX 921 Forged 4-GW

Mizuno T20 54*

Edel SMS 58*

Evnroll ER5

On 3/22/2021 at 10:55 AM, Cpr3584 said:

Gotta love the know-it-alls on the range. But nothing beats getting paired with a guy with a $2,500 bag who tops it 15 yards on the first tee 

OP. You definitely weren’t wrong.

Sucks to get paired with and spend 5+ hours with anyone that can barely advance their ball period. But it happens and we deal w/it. It’s worse when the clubs are nice? Are they “not worthy” of new/nice clubs bcs they’re new to golf?? I’ve gotten paired with more than a few really cool/nice individuals with nice gear that weren’t very good. So what. Maybe you should ask yourself why it bothers you so much. 

Edited by TiScape
  • Like 2

So it’s a semi private club range.  If that’s the case, I’ll diverge from the main steam here and say you were kinda being a jerk.  Now, that doesn’t mean he handled it right, but as a private club co-member, I wouldn’t expect the rude interaction from another member.

‘for example, you could easily have LAUGHED off the whole prior conversation with him about how he’d just finished telling you equipment doesn’t matter.  Then had a much more friendly and productive interaction.

it’s a golf club, not a diamond necklace.  It’s meant to hit a ball.  And it was an iron, so you can’t sky it.  In the end, select your battles and manage your interactions.   You never know, that guy could be the CEO of the next company you try to work at.  And while I wouldn’t say you were “‘wrong” for saying no, it wasn’t really the right way to say it (‘if you’re dead set on saying no).  

but I suspect you already know that, which is why you’re asking here.  So I think your asking the wrong question.  It’s not really “was I wrong?”, I don’t think anyone would say you were flat out wrong.  it’s really, “did I handle that as well as I could?”.  That answer, I think there was room for improvement.  

Edited by clinkinfo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, clinkinfo said:

So it’s a semi private club range.  If that’s the case, I’ll diverge from the main steam here and say you were kinda being a jerk.  Now, that doesn’t mean he handled it right, but as a private club co-member, I wouldn’t expect the rude interaction from another member.

‘for example, you could easily have LAUGHED off the whole prior conversation with him about how he’d just finished telling you equipment doesn’t matter.  Then had a much more friendly and productive interaction.

it’s a golf club, not a diamond necklace.  It’s meant to hit a ball.  And it was an iron, so you can’t sky it.  In the end, select your battles and manage your interactions.   You never know, that guy could be the CEO of the next company you try to work at.  And while I wouldn’t say you were “‘wrong” for saying no, it wasn’t really the right way to say it (‘if you’re dead set on saying no).  

but I suspect you already know that, which is why you’re asking here.  So I think your asking the wrong question.  It’s not really “was I wrong?”, I don’t think anyone would say you were flat out wrong.  it’s really, “did I handle that as well as I could?”.  That answer, I think there was room for improvement.  

Bingo. Absolutely perfect.

A simple "Sorry but I'm the only one who hits my clubs" would've been quite sufficient. No need for all the rest.

He may have been being a bit rude in handling the OP's club but the OP was just as rude in his over-the-top response.

Could've showed the newb(?) the high road.

"Hands of my clubs" ? For goodness' sake, it's a golf club,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :classic_rolleyes:

• Sad 2

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

14 hours ago, clinkinfo said:

The problem with taking the high road sometimes , it’s that the aggressor in the situation doesn’t get to see the error of his ways.  And then the behavior continues.  I firmly believe that bully’s should be hit hard and fast , so as to reform them quickly from their selfish ways.  Killing them with kindness only invites an encore the following day.  

• Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

9 hours ago, FlopShotGang said:

There’s literally nothing I hate more than strangers talking to me at the range.

I was surprised by this comment then I saw you live in Los Angeles. If you ever get to a more rural area you’ll find that people are actually friendly towards each other, even to people they don’t know. Drivers let other drivers merge into traffic with a wave that is returned with a Thank You and a smile. I moved out of SoCal as soon as I could a moved to a much slower paced lifestyle and I could never go back.

That doesn’t mean I condone some idiot who has no concept of personal space like the OP experienced, but if someone starts a conversation at the range I’ll chat with them for a little. 

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Rule of thumb on the range: never make eye contact & wear ear buds. 

It makes life way easier. 

• Like 1

Some flavor of the month driver.
Some driving iron for Links courses.

A hybrid to save my bad shots.
Titleist blades when I feel lucky otherwise something more forgiving.
A Vokey wedge or 2.
I hate every one of my 17 putters.

26 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

The problem with taking the high road sometimes , it’s that the aggressor in the situation doesn’t get to see the error of his ways.  And then the behavior continues.  I firmly believe that bully’s should be hit hard and fast , so as to reform them quickly from their selfish ways.  Killing them with kindness only invites an encore the following day.  

The problem with that mentality is you can't know the alternative approach wouldn't have worked.  So you have no clue in this situation if it could have been resolved in a friendly way, because no one tried.  Instead, you ended up with 2 stupid reactions escalating a meaningless situation.  Now, if you had TRIED to take the high road, and there was no response, and then you had that reaction....ok, you'd have a point.  But that's not what happened.  Oh, and joking about something does not mean you're killing them with kindness, in fact, many times the joke is actually making fun of what they just did.  

And the idea that this guy was a "bully", what the heck are you guys talking about?  He went over to a golf bag on a private range, it's not like he shoved the guy and then went toe to toe trying to force him to let him use the clubs.  Your definition of a "bully" is really messed up.

18 minutes ago, magnus7319 said:

Rule of thumb on the range: never make eye contact & wear ear buds. 

It makes life way easier. 

That might be the case for a public range somewhere, but at a private club range you are kinda expected to interact with other members, not be an introverted reclusive jerk all the time.  It's part of the social aspect of a club. 

1 minute ago, clinkinfo said:

The problem with that mentality is you can't know the alternative approach wouldn't have worked.  So you have no clue in this situation if it could have been resolved in a friendly way, because no one tried.  Instead, you ended up with 2 stupid reactions escalating a meaningless situation.  Now, if you had TRIED to take the high road, and there was no response, and then you had that reaction....ok, you'd have a point.  But that's not what happened.  Oh, and joking about something does not mean you're killing them with kindness, in fact, many times the joke is actually making fun of what they just did.  

And the idea that this guy was a "bully", what the heck are you guys talking about?  He went over to a golf bag on a private range, it's not like he shoved the guy and then went toe to toe trying to force him to let him use the clubs.  Your definition of a "bully" is really messed up.

No. It’s mental territory  marking.  It’s a dominance assertion.  People do it without even knowing they are doing it.  Ever been in line at the grocery store and some arse has to be 6 inches from you in line.  As if that will make it move faster.  Even while You're paying ?  That’s him subconsciously letting everyone know how important he is and how you are in HIS way.  Bully maybe a strong word at times.  But.  It’s literally the same behavior.  Just different degrees of dominance assertion.  

and yes. I know how that goes.  You feed the bears and they come back tomorrow for more.  Don’t give them the currency they want. Which is the ability to have their way with you.  to not respect personal space etc. 

Im not a people person.   Classic introvert ( yes I realize my post count doesn’t agree ). I literally want to be left alone most times.  All day every day.  Exceptions being the circle of friends who have earned the spots they have.  And it’s a small circle.  Why ?  Humans arent trustworthy creatures.  And the extroverts of the world are appalled 😮 at that statement.  
Lol. 

• Thanks 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

4 minutes ago, clinkinfo said:

That might be the case for a public range somewhere, but at a private club range you are kinda expected to interact with other members, not be an introverted reclusive jerk all the time.  It's part of the social aspect of a club. 

If I pay ( I do ) I’ll use it as I want.  And that includes not being cycled by the club asshat everytime he wants to “ check me out “.  This is a real thing that’s common.  You just aren’t on the introverts side of it.  And that’s ok.  I’m trying to tell you how it is perceived from this end.    

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock